• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Elderly man throws tantrum when POSB staff refuse to process suspicious S$3,000 transfer, turns out he was a stupid love scam target

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The employees received a letter of appreciation from the police.

2023-10-08-19.22.52.jpg

An elderly man lashed out at a POSB employee when she refused to help him transfer S$3,000 from his bank account.

It turned out that the staff member had rightfully suspected him to be the victim of a love scam.

Request for suspicious transfer​

In a Facebook post by DBS, the incident was said to have taken place at the POSB branch at Compass One in Sengkang.

A man in his 70s had strolled in at lunchtime and asked for help transferring S$3,000 from his bank account into another account.

Bank officer Rohani Hassan said that she asked him some "routine questions" that were typical when processing over-the-counter transfers.

She wrote her inquiries about the payee on a piece of paper, as the elderly man was hard of hearing.

"He answered that the transfer was to be made to a courier company, so they could 'release' a personal parcel meant for him. Alarm bells blared in my head," she recalled.

Man gets angry​

Rohani added that she tried to explain this to the man in writing, but her efforts were futile.

"I can’t make the transfer for you, because I believe that you’re about to be scammed," Rohani said to the man, but the man instead got angry and started yelling.

"It’s my money, why can’t I make the transfer?" he shouted.

Rohani then turned to Deputy Service Manager Siew Lay for help.

When Siew Lay "rushed over" after witnessing the commotion, she asked for the payee’s account number so that she could run additional checks.

She found out that the account had been flagged for suspicious transactions.

And while the man had indicated that it was a business account, it turned out to be a personal bank account.

Police arrived​

The staff tried to tell the elderly man this, but he only grew more agitated.

He even said that he’d like to close his account with DBS so that he could make the transfer at another bank.

Siew Lay thus called the police for help.

The police officers arrived within minutes and were able to convince the man to leave the bank.

It was later revealed that he was indeed the target of a love scam.

"From our experience with previous cases, scams of this nature tend to be more emotionally charged, hence his insistence," shared Siew Lay.

Siew Lay also described branch staff at the bank as the "last line of defence" when it comes to protecting customers from scams.

For their hard work in this incident, both employees received letters of appreciation from the police in September 2023.

Screenshot-2023-10-08-at-6.03.13-PM.png

https://mothership.sg/2023/10/man-shout-dbs-scam/

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY foresaw the stupidity of retired sinkies and decided to defer CPF withdrawal. Otherwise, billion of CPF monies will land in foreign Mei Mei'hands.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why must call mata when there is CISCO guard in the bank? The CISCO guard cannot handle an ah pek? Or worse, the CISCO guard was zzzzing at that time?

jw5

Loyal
why must call mata when there is CISCO guard in the bank? The CISCO guard cannot handle an ah pek? Or worse, the CISCO guard was zzzzing at that time?

Call mata is to report the case as a scam, not to take down the oldman. :unsure::eek::laugh:

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY foresaw the stupidity of retired sinkies and decided to defer CPF withdrawal. Otherwise, billion of CPF monies will land in foreign Mei Mei'hands.
Millions of $ also land I foreigners hand via the bank sms scam. Lky die as already, playing field has changed.