• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Questions to ask your PAP MP

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Keep bus services going till MRT station opens​

Nov 21, 2023

I read with dismay about bus service 167 being ended and bus service 162’s route being changed from Dec 10 (Bus service 167 to cease from Dec 10, Nov 17).
I live along Thomson Road and rely on both these bus services to commute to my office in the Central Business District several days a week, as do many of my neighbours.
While the Land Transport Authority (LTA) cited lower bus ridership along the Thomson East Coast Line (TEL) for the changes, my neighbours and I still rely on the bus services as the opening of the TEL station closest to us, Mount Pleasant, has been delayed indefinitely.
In addition, our stretch of Thomson Road is often congested daily, with heavy traffic and multiple road closures due to the construction of the North-South Corridor, which makes commuting by private car a lengthy and frustrating experience.
I urge LTA to re-evaluate its decision and consider operating bus services to serve the Thomson Road area until the Mount Pleasant station starts operating.

Lin Lizhen

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Removal of parallel bus services sets back car-lite push​

Nov 21, 2023

I read with interest the decision to remove and amend bus services in the most recent route rationalisation exercise (Bus service 167 to cease from Dec 10, Nov 17). Bus route rationalisation exercises reduce or remove bus routes that are already served by new train lines.
However, in the face of the Government’s car-lite efforts, such a move is rather contradictory. One core tenet of a car-lite society is the ease of public transport use, and giving users choices of public transport services is key to achieving that.
This is also crucial in incidents when trains break down and delays occur. Users can cut over smoothly to existing parallel bus routes, rather than scramble and queue for bus bridging services.
Moreover, removal of bus routes will redirect more commuters to take short trips via other existing bus services just to get to the nearest MRT station. This will likely result in more people using these bus services, causing these buses to be sporadically full on routes in between MRT stations. Commuters who use the services to get to their destination rather than an MRT station may then not be able to board the buses.
Such scenarios frustrate existing commuters, and discourage existing car owners from giving up their cars to use public transport, setting back the Government’s car-lite efforts.
The route rationalisation exercise needs to be tweaked, or overhauled altogether, to reflect the Government’s car-life efforts.

Randy Ho

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Provide more bicycle bays at HDB void decks​

NOV 14, 2023

Many bicycle owners have been issued notices from the town councils for parking their bicycles indiscriminately.
There are not enough bicycle bays in HDB void decks as such bays can take a maximum of only 10 bicycles.
Bays are often stretched beyond their maximum capacity, with at least 20 bicycles in a row. This has become a very common sight in many void decks. It is not only unsightly but also poses a safety hazard.
Many HDB residents do not have enough space in their flats to store their bicycles, and putting them in common corridors is not a good option.
They have to resort to parking their bicycles indiscriminately along staircases or any common vacant area, often inconveniencing other residents.
As people are encouraged to exercise, many now have their own bicycles instead of renting them.
The authorities should provide more bicycle bays at void decks, similar to the two-tiered bays at some new estates and MRT stations, to alleviate the space constraints.

Tan Keong Boon

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Ensure proper use of personal mobility aids​

NOV 17, 2023

The proliferation of personal mobility aid (PMA) scooters, accompanied by their increased abuse, has led to public annoyance.
I have seen PMAs on the road, where they are not allowed.
The issue extends further to the haphazard parking of PMAs in public spaces, including shopping malls (Man calls for parking zone for mobility scooters after elderly parents get ‘advisory’ at AMK Hub, Nov 15).
It’s crucial to emphasise that PMAs are for those unable to walk or who have walking difficulties, and they help the elderly and handicapped to achieve independent mobility.
I wonder if their use is being abused by those who don’t need to use them.
The Government was studying the need for PMA users to get a doctor’s certificate to certify that the users are disabled or have a mobility issue (‘Pseudo-motorcycle without COE’: Panel considering new rules for devices like PMAs, cargo bikes, March 15, 2022).
Will these guidelines for PMA usage be implemented?

Chen Wei Yi

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No help from HDB service line​

Dec 1, 2023

I called the Housing Board’s service line regarding the spalling concrete problem in my flat.

Despite following the instructions provided by the HDB main line, which directed me to contact the service line, my attempts to connect have been disappointing and frustrating. I have made numerous calls on different days and at various times, hoping to speak with an operator but to no avail.

After being put on hold and listening to a recorded message three times, I get a message saying I’ve exceeded the allowed call duration and the call would be abruptly terminated. My experience makes me question whether anyone can receive any help from this service line.

Wendy Lim

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Elderly penalised for late settlement of medical bills​

Dec 14, 2023

Every three months, I visit Ang Mo Kio Polyclinic to treat my diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Unless full payment of outstanding medical bills is made at the polyclinic, patients will not get to see the doctor.

There are many seniors struggling to cope with the high cost of living. On previous occasions, I was denied medical care until I paid the outstanding amount in full. It is not right to deny medical care to seniors just because they are late with payments.

Raymond Anthony Fernando

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Help retrenched young seniors get back into the workforce​

FEB 21, 2024

In the 2024 Budget, there seems to be a lack of emphasis on one group of vulnerable Singaporeans who have been retrenched.
The number of retrenched workers has increased recently and is expected to rise further due to companies looking at higher profitability and conducting right-sizing exercises.
The Budget is giving top-ups of $15,000 for Institute of Technical Education graduates aged 30 and below when they complete a diploma programme. Those aged 40 and above pursuing a second diploma will get a monthly training allowance of up to $3,000 for 24 months.
Will it make sense for those in their 60s to pursue a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation?
I am sure those in their 60s will not get a similar scheme to obtain a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation.
I was laid off last year when I was 59 years old. I have applied for numerous positions without success. Employers do not want to hire older people with a short “runway” as they say it is difficult to integrate them into their generally younger teams. This is also the case when I look for work at government agencies.
I attended a three-month full-time SkillsFuture Career Transition Programme in September 2023, hoping to get a job placement after the training. Unfortunately, the class was left on its own to look for jobs after we completed the programme, which was described as a “train-and-place programme”.

Most unemployed seniors face financial difficulties, especially if we have to support the family.
Most of us would prefer to get a job rather than get handouts from the Government. I hope the Government will look into helping young seniors get back into the workforce.

Eric Yip Kok Leong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Retirees still need more help to be re-employed​

JAN 06, 2024

I refer to the reply by the Ministry of Manpower (Steps taken to support senior workers on re-employment, Jan 3).
Kudos to the Manpower Ministry for the schemes it has put in place to extend the employment of seniors, and its encouragement of employers to do so.
However, the ministry did not address the point made by Mr Tristan Gwee (Tap older workers’ wealth of experience, Dec 11) and Mr Ong Kim Bock (Do more to get retirees back in workforce, Dec 14), that is, to tap seniors who have left the workforce, and would like to, and can potentially, be re-employed.
In my interactions with other retired seniors, I have found that many of us would like to be re-employed.
I have applied to the ministry, other government bodies and tripartite organisations, but with no success.
Other seniors have had similar experiences, and we have come to the same conclusion that ageism played a role in why we were not employed.
The Government has called for employers to engage seniors as part of the workforce. But can we expect the private sector to overlook ageism and employ seniors, when government bodies do not seem to walk the talk?

There is a group of retired but capable seniors who have been sidelined. With their efforts to rejoin the workforce not bearing fruit, they are resigned to spending their time at coffee shops or binge-watching TV shows instead of contributing to the nation.

Lai Tuck Kee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Strengthen employment laws to protect retrenched staff​

JAN 25, 2024

After nearly three years in a senior leadership role at a global company in the creative industry, I was recently retrenched. The reason was “financial challenges” and not “an indication of my contributions or performance”.
I was informed that I would not be getting any severance benefits because there are no labour laws in effect that protect employees. I was specifically told that the Ministry of Manpower gives only broad recommendations – with any severance done purely out of goodwill, not because of legislation. Sadly, my contract did not include any provision for retrenchment benefits either.
A friend urged me to speak with the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management, which referred me to the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices.
Both officers who spoke with me were sympathetic, but ultimately said they could only point my company to the best practice and could not enforce anything.
My story isn’t the only one.
The recent high-profile retrenchment exercise at Lazada has exposed a weakness in Singapore’s labour and workplace laws – these laws are geared towards supporting companies, not employees.
I have worked in Britain and Australia – both these countries have workplace laws that protect employees who are retrenched. These are common practices in many developed countries.

As a country that has ambition to be a hub for companies in the region, Singapore should update its Employment Act to give more legal protection to employees.
If we are unable to give adequate protection to employees and strike a fair balance in the employment relationship, I worry about how competitive we will be on the global stage.

Shawn Low

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rats chew through wiring of Hougang resident’s car, leaving it unable to start​

wgt-ratpix-300124.jpg

Ms Quek discovered that some of the wiring in her car engine had been chewed through. PHOTOS: COURTESY OF MS QUEK, SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
christie-chiu.png

Christie Chiu

JAN 30, 2024

SINGAPORE - A resident of a Hougang estate was horrified when she found her car’s engine bay covered in rat droppings and the vehicle unable to start.
The 41-year-old billing analyst, who wanted to be known only as Ms Quek, discovered later that afternoon on Jan 6 that some of the wiring in the engine had been chewed through. She had to call a towing service to take the car to a workshop for repairs.
Ms Quek, who moved to a flat at Hougang Avenue 8 in 2021, said other residents who have lived there longer told her they have had similar experiences and that the estate had been plagued with rat infestation for about five years.
“I noticed the rat issue during my first few months living in this estate. But I brushed it off since it’s a very old estate – around 35 years old – as I thought it’s common to see pests around,” she said.
However, she said she became very concerned after seeing more rats scurrying around the estate in the last three years.
“When you come back in the night, no matter where you are, you will see rats running around. They will run into the drains, across the car park and hide under cars.”
She said after pleas for help from residents, the Ang Mo Kio Town Council (AMKTC) has tried to tackle the issue, such as by placing traps and rat poison around the estate. But she added that the recent damage to her car showed that more needed to be done.

In response to queries, an AMKTC spokesman said it was aware of a rodent infestation problem in the car park at Block 628, Hougang Avenue 8.
The town council sent its pest control team to conduct an inspection of the car park for rat burrows, he said, adding: “Our pest control officer has informed us that there are no active burrows in the car park and rodent treatment will be carried out in the surrounding area.”
The town council is following up with its insurance company as well as Ms Quek on the rat-induced damage to her car for an insurance claim submission, he added.

The car towing service on Jan 6 cost Ms Quek $70, while mending the engine’s wires cost $50.
Mr Eddie Ng, the director of Choon’s Motor Works – the workshop Ms Quek enlisted – said that while the damage to her car was “not too bad” and needed only half a day to fix, future repairs could cost $2,000 to $3,000 if the rats were to attack the same spots again.
WhatsApp20Image202024-01-3020at202.15.4720PM_2.jpg

Ms Quek was unable to start her car after rats bit through its engine wires. PHOTO: COURTESY OF MS QUEK
If that happens, he added, Ms Quek would need to completely replace the engine wires and this could take up to two weeks.
Pest control experts ST spoke to said rats causing damage to vehicles is not uncommon.
Killem Pest managing director Nicole Zycinski-Singh said rats are attracted to warm spaces and may see a vehicle’s switched-off engine bay as a convenient place to nest and trim their teeth.
Bingo Pest operations director Vinz Lim said that rats actively seek materials such as cables and wires to maintain their dental health.
This is because their teeth grow continuously and constant gnawing keeps them at a manageable length for feeding, he added.
Mr Lim said: “We’ve seen rodents chew through vehicle seat belts and damage the wiring of the in-vehicle unit completely.
“With their powerful teeth and ability to bite through these materials, they can cause a short circuit and electrical hazard that may be costly to repair.”
rat-in-car-1_2.jpg

Pest control experts said that rats damaging vehicles and the wiring of in-vehicle units is not unusual. PHOTO: COURTESY OF BINGO PEST
He added that rats also pose health threats to humans through cross-contamination and can contribute to the spread of diseases – including salmonellosis and rat-bite fever – by contaminating food and water supplies with their urine, faeces or fur.
Ms Zycinski-Singh and Mr Lim said rat infestations can be eradicated only if the root cause is addressed.
“Residents can take preventive measures, such as sealing gaps, proper waste disposal and keeping areas clean,” said Ms Zycinski-Singh. “But while individual efforts can help, an estate-wide rat issue may require coordinated action to address the root causes and implement effective pest control measures.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spread out columbaria in other estates instead of just Mandai, some Nee Soon residents say in dialogue with NEA and MP​

Member of Parliament Carrie Tan (third from right, left photo) talking to residents on Jan 16, 2024, at a dialogue with the National Environment Agency on a proposed funeral and columbarium complex in Mandai.
Lim Li Ting/TODAY
Member of Parliament Carrie Tan (third from right, left photo) talking to residents on Jan 16, 2024, at a dialogue with the National Environment Agency on a proposed funeral and columbarium complex in Mandai.
https://tdy.sg/47JGhKL

• About 100 residents had a closed-door dialogue with the National Environment Agency on Jan 16 night
  • They were concerned about plans to build a new columbarium along Mandai Road
  • Some problems they foresee are worsening traffic conditions, destruction of habitat for wildlife and an over-concentration of columbaria in the area
  • Member of Parliament Carrie Tan supported exploring an idea to have a few smaller columbaria across the island instead of all in Mandai alone
  • Residents asked for more dialogues with relevant agencies moving forward
BY NIKKI YEO

BY TAUFIQ ZALIZAN
Published January 17, 2024

SINGAPORE — A debate over space to be given to the deceased dominated a meeting on Tuesday night (Jan 16), as some residents concerned about the authorities' plans to build a new columbarium along Mandai Avenue met the National Environment Agency (NEA) in a dialogue organised by Member of Parliament (MP) Carrie Tan.
After a two-hour dialogue that was attended by about 100 people, the MP for Nee Soon Group Representation Constituency told TODAY she felt that the authorities should “relook the model” and rethink the approach to after-death facilities.
“A less centralised model for columbaria would be helpful so that there can be an accessible one in each area, making practical sense so that Singaporeans can pay their respects to deceased loved ones more conveniently,” she said.
“More importantly, we should strive towards a more accepting and pragmatic mindset among citizens, remove the stigma or ‘pantang’ (superstitious thinking) and see a columbarium as a practical facility that can be located conveniently, making it commonplace for every neighbourhood to have smaller such facilities.”
The idea of having multiple columbarium sites across different parts of Singapore, as opposed to developing another big one in an area where there are already existing columbaria, was among a few points raised by some participants during the dialogue, which over-ran by half an hour.

Other topics brought up during the closed-door session at Nee Soon Central Community Centre included how the 10-hectare site was picked and whether alternative sites were explored, as well as the potential traffic and environmental impacts, a few participants told TODAY after the session.
The dialogue was organised for residents of Springleaf and Springside located along Sembawang Road, after some of them wrote to Ms Tan and started a petition opposing the plans announced last month by NEA to build a new funeral services and columbarium complex at the intersection of Mandai Avenue and Sembawang Road.
Urging the authorities to reconsider the decision and explore other sites, the petition listed three main points to support their stance:
  • The “severe over-concentration” of columbaria in the area
  • The worsening of traffic conditions
  • Safety as well as concerns over a change in the landscape and “character” of the area
Similar concerns were brought up on Tuesday afternoon ahead of the dialogue when TODAY spoke to residents at the landed property enclave around Springside Drive — a two-minute drive from the proposed columbarium site.
Ms Tan said after the dialogue: “I’m glad that residents shared frankly, and that NEA personnel who were present also listened attentively and will bring up the residents’ views to discuss internally with the agencies they are working with.”

WHY ONLY MANDAI?​

Participants described the discussions on Tuesday night as “robust” and “tense” at some points, but still cordial and civil overall.

One resident who has lived in the area for about 30 years and gave her name only as Ms Lim said: “People made known their frustration. They were angry but did not cross any line. There were no shouting matches or raising of voices.”
20240116_lt_nee_soon_nea_mandai_crematorium_carrie_tan_2.jpg
Lim Li Ting/TODAYResidents registering for a dialogue on Jan 16, 2024, regarding a proposed funeral and columbarium complex to be built in Mandai.
Most of the five participants who spoke to TODAY did so on condition that they did not want to be identified as giving information to the media from a closed-door dialogue.
However, they said that some questions were “not quite satisfactorily answered” by NEA.
For example, the questions on the potential size of the development and how the Mandai site was picked.
A resident who has been living along Sembawang Road for about five years said: “NEA said this was not a site that it chose but was given.”
Another resident had also asked if the idea of developing multiple, smaller sites elsewhere instead of building mega complexes in Mandai was ever proposed.

This resident said that a decentralised approach could have opened up more choices of alternative sites and it might be easier to find smaller pockets of land in other parts of the island.
Given the existing columbaria in the vicinity, participants had stressed during the dialogue that this was not a case of a “not in my backyard” mentality, where people are opposed to the location of something considered undesirable in one’s neighbourhood.
In 2015, residents around Fernvale Link in Sengkang started an online petition to oppose the development of a commercial columbarium near their homes, with some even asking the Housing and Development Board (HDB) for a refund on their new flats.
Three years earlier in 2012, residents from Woodlands Street 83 petitioned against the setting up of an eldercare centre at the void deck of their housing block.
Mr Goh Boon Leng, a 68-year-old retiree who spoke to TODAY from his home on Springside Drive ahead of the dialogue on Tuesday, said: “We are not against it being in our neighbourhood per se, we are all used to columbaria and crematoriums here.
“But the question is equity. Why another one in my neighbourhood? And 10 hectares is very big.”

NEA said that at the dialogue, it spoke about the need for after-death facilities in Singapore with an ageing population, and how developments such as columbaria and funeral parlours are located at various spaces around the island.
In response to TODAY'S queries on Wednesday, it also said that although the proposed site is about 10ha and located more than 500m away from the nearest residential estate at Springside, it has assured residents that the actual land area to be used by the new complex would depend on findings from further assessments that are expected to be completed by 2025.
"NEA will continue to engage all stakeholders, including residents and nature groups, as the development process progresses," the agency added.

TRAFFIC WOES​

Another point discussed during the dialogue was traffic congestion, especially during the Qing Ming Festival when some of the Chinese visit the tombs and niches of their departed family members or relatives.
There are already traffic jams with two existing columbaria in the neighbourhood.
The first is the Mandai Crematorium and Columbarium Complex, located at the other end of Mandai Avenue and about four minute’s drive from the proposed new columbarium site.
There is also another columbarium at Grace Presbytarian Church, located next to the Springside residences.
The occasional mobilisation exercises for military reservists compound the traffic problems, given that Nee Soon Camp is also located along the same road.
A 56-year-old resident working in the airline industry, who gave his name as just Frank, said: “There were instances where the roads were congested especially early in the morning and late evening.”
Ms Tan the MP said that residents mentioned during the dialogue that they have been "exercising tolerance" towards the traffic conditions all these years, especially during the Qing Ming Festival.
“I can understand they do not wish that there be more traffic,” she added.

ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS​

The loss of green space was another matter heard at the dialogue, though NEA had said that an environmental impact assessment would be done.
A 35-year-old civil servant who wanted to be known only as Mr Ang said ahead of the dialogue that there were already cases of “very aggressive” monkeys being spotted in the residential areas.
“If they keep cutting down the trees, the monkeys will have nowhere else to go (and create more human-wildlife conflicts),” Mr Ang added.
Mr Goh the retiree from Springside Drive described the possible cutting down of 10ha of forest for the sake of the dead as a “travesty”.
Residents asked for more dialogue sessions to be held, with at least one to be held before Chinese New Year (which begins on Feb 10 this year), and to include other relevant authorities.
A young male resident, who attended Tuesday's session and has lived in the Nee Soon area for about five years, said: “Given that this was an inter-agency decision, solely having NEA in the dialogue is not adequate enough to answer (the residents') questions.”
Ms Tan told TODAY that she will be raising the residents’ concerns in Parliament.
“It is important that their voice is heard, and I will also be working closely with agencies to ensure the residents’ perspectives are (presented) in their review and planning going forward,” she said.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Help retrenched young seniors get back into the workforce​

FEB 21, 2024

In the 2024 Budget, there seems to be a lack of emphasis on one group of vulnerable Singaporeans who have been retrenched.
The number of retrenched workers has increased recently and is expected to rise further due to companies looking at higher profitability and conducting right-sizing exercises.
The Budget is giving top-ups of $15,000 for Institute of Technical Education graduates aged 30 and below when they complete a diploma programme. Those aged 40 and above pursuing a second diploma will get a monthly training allowance of up to $3,000 for 24 months.
Will it make sense for those in their 60s to pursue a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation?
I am sure those in their 60s will not get a similar scheme to obtain a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation.
I was laid off last year when I was 59 years old. I have applied for numerous positions without success. Employers do not want to hire older people with a short “runway” as they say it is difficult to integrate them into their generally younger teams. This is also the case when I look for work at government agencies.
I attended a three-month full-time SkillsFuture Career Transition Programme in September 2023, hoping to get a job placement after the training. Unfortunately, the class was left on its own to look for jobs after we completed the programme, which was described as a “train-and-place programme”.

Most unemployed seniors face financial difficulties, especially if we have to support the family.
Most of us would prefer to get a job rather than get handouts from the Government. I hope the Government will look into helping young seniors get back into the workforce.

Eric Yip Kok Leong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Insurance company making it hard for policyholders to have continuity of care​

APR 07, 2024

I have been a loyal policyholder of Income Insurance for decades, with six policies with the company. However, Income Insurance has introduced new terms and conditions regarding panel and non-panel specialist doctors in its Integrated Shield Plans.
I had a long-established patient-doctor relationship with my specialist doctor A. When I needed an operation, I was informed that I would need to pay a $2,000 non-panel deductible if I continued treatment with doctor A, as she is not on Income Insurance’s panel. I was advised to see another specialist, doctor B, who was on Income Insurance’s panel, to avoid paying the deductible.
Now, I have learnt that doctor B has left Income Insurance’s panel, and I would have to find a new doctor to continue my care.
Some of my friends have faced similar issues, needing to change their specialist doctors due to Income Insurance’s mandate to use panel doctors, or pay the deductible, which is up to $2,000 in each policy year.
This policy may affect patient autonomy, and continuity of care. It also increases healthcare costs, as new doctors may need to repeat previous tests and procedures and re-evaluate the previous treatment plan.
Continuity of care is essential for managing chronic conditions, ensuring accurate diagnoses, and fostering trust between patients and their healthcare providers.
This policy does not seem to be in line with the Ministry of Health’s Healthier SG programme that encourages us to stay with one doctor to develop and enjoy a long-term trusted relationship.

I hope Income Insurance will reconsider this policy and uphold the principles of patient-centred care and fairness that prioritise the well-being of policyholders.

Ng Sout San

Forum: Insurance companies should be transparent about how they pay doctors​

APR 10, 2024

I refer to Ms Ng Sout San’s letter “Insurance company making it hard for policyholders to have continuity of care” (April 8).
As doctors and insurers continue to debate over remuneration amounts and the role of panels, we sometimes forget the people we are serving –our patients. As a breast surgeon myself, whenever I speak up on such matters, I might be perceived by some as self-serving. Therefore, I am glad members of the public are speaking up about what they need.
All of us need access to healthcare at some point in our lives. We must take an active interest in open discussion to better shape policy.
Patients should have access to any doctor of their choice. I have heard ad nauseum the same old arguments of how panels help to reduce costs, and accusations of overcharging by doctors and hospitals. The Ministry of Health has stepped up efforts to rein in these costs. I call for transparency in how insurance companies remunerate doctors. Currently, contracts with non-disclosure clauses are signed between doctor and insurer when they enter a panel, with all the caveats and limitations to adhere to.
Just as common procedure and hospital fee benchmarks are listed in public domains, I propose that insurers should also let their policyholders (or even the public) know about their fee schedules for common procedures.
In addition, I propose that a modified reimbursement be considered–where a company offers a certain fee, but patients can choose to top up the difference for a highly skilled and experienced doctor that they choose. This has multiple benefits where doctors will be mindful of fees and charge appropriately, and patients will be truly empowered to decide where they go for treatment.
Every month, new doctors join the private sector. Are insurers keeping up with reviewing and expanding their panels to include these doctors who can bring new skill sets and knowledge to help patients?

I fully respect the work and necessity of insurers in paying for healthcare bills. I am committed to creating a fair ecosystem, and for always putting patients first. Let all the stakeholders collaborate in educating patients, so that they can make an informed choice in which insurer they use, which doctor they choose and which hospital they go to.

Tan Yia Swam (Dr)