• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Netanyahu: Absurd for US to sanction IDF soldiers as they fight "terror"

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lashed out at the United States for its plans to issue its first-ever sanctions against IDF units over alleged human rights violations, starting with the Netzah Yehuda Battalion, which in the past has been accused of mistreating Palestinians.

Among the more high-profile incidents was the death of Palestinian American Omar As’ad, 80, of a heart attack in January 2022 after he had been detained, blindfolded, gagged, and handcuffed by that battalion in the West Bank.

Netanyahu calls for the government to act against move

“I will fight this with all my powers,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the Israeli public on Sunday in a video address.

Minister Benny Gantz, who is a former defense minister and IDF chief of staff, spoke with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Sunday and asked him to rescind the decision, which, he warned, “will harm Israel’s international legitimacy during the time of war.”

He also explained that “the Israeli judicial system is strong and independent. All IDF units are subject to the IDF’s code of conduct and orders in accordance with international law.”

Netzah Yehuda Battalion  (credit: HILEL MEIR)
Enlrage image
Netzah Yehuda Battalion (credit: HILEL MEIR)
The decision, Gantz wrote in a post on X, “sets a dangerous precedent and conveys the wrong message to our shared enemies during wartime.”

Netanyahu wrote on X on Saturday night that the decision was “the height of absurdity and a moral low.”“In recent weeks, I have been working against the leveling of sanctions on Israeli citizens, including in my conversations with senior American government officials,” he stated.

“The government I head will act by all means against these moves,” Netanyahu stressed, adding that “sanctions must not be imposed on the Israel Defense Forces!”

Netanyahu spoke out against such a move, first reported by Walla, just one hour after he wrote a message on X thanking the House of Representatives for passing a $23.2 billion military aid bill for Israel, which now moves to the Senate.

Reflecting the moves of the Biden Administration

The two messages reflect two concurrent moves by the Biden administration. Since the Hamas invasion of Israel on October 7, it has deepened its support of Israel while at the same time cracking down on extremist Jewish violence against Palestinians.

On Friday, the US imposed sanctions on Ben-Zion Gopstein, founder and leader of the right-wing group Lehava, and two entities that raised money for Israeli men accused of settler violence.

The 1997 Leahy Law prohibits the funding of foreign military units believed to be involved in human rights abuses such as extrajudicial killing, torture, and rape.

On Wednesday, the investigative US-based news site ProPublica reported that Blinken had been sitting on the State Department’s recommendation that he apply the Leahy Law to “multiple Israeli military and police units.”

When asked about the report at a press conference in Italy on Friday, Blinken said that application of the Leahy Law was time-consuming and “has to be done very carefully both in collecting the facts and analyzing them – and that’s exactly what we’ve done.

“And I think it’s fair to say that you’ll see results very soon. I’ve made determinations; you can expect to see them in the days ahead,” Blinken said.