• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How much you know about Buddhism?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
to all those who claim that they are buddhists..

tell me how are you able to end suffering?

What do you learn from buddhism about ending of suffering?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a staunch Buddhist.

khaw-boon-wan.jpg

$8 only.....................::p

ST_20130413_DCKHAW13_3611383e.jpg

And even cheaper if you relocate your aged parents to JB!:biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let me ask u:
Will getting angry, jealous, envious, sarcastic lead to suffering?

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not Bhuddist,but I know that Wikipedia says:
Buddhism is a nontheistic religion[1][2] that encompasses a variety of traditions, beliefs and practices largely based on teachings attributed to Siddhartha Gautama, who is commonly known as the Buddha, meaning "the awakened one". According to Buddhist tradition, the Buddha lived and taught in the eastern part of the Indian subcontinent sometime between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE.[1] He is recognized by Buddhists as an awakened or enlightened teacher who shared his insights to help sentient beings end their suffering through the elimination of ignorance and craving by way of understanding and the seeing of dependent origination, with the ultimate goal of attainment of the sublime state of nirvana.[3]

Two major branches of Buddhism are generally recognized: Theravada ("The School of the Elders") and Mahayana ("The Great Vehicle"). Theravada has a widespread following in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar etc.). Mahayana is found throughout East Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan etc.) and includes the traditions of Pure Land, Zen, Nichiren Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Shingon, and Tiantai (Tendai). In some classifications, Vajrayana—practiced mainly in Tibet and Mongolia, and adjacent parts of China and Russia—is recognized as a third branch, while others classify it as a part of Mahayana.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

In other words, it is about following the path/ example advised/ set by Buddha to Nirvana.

Correct?

If so, me thinks true Christianity is similar in this regard: it is about following the example set by Lord Jesus Christ to get to heaven to spend eternity with/ even as (IIRC) God...

Last edited:

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who here has attained nirvana?

Is it just a dream which cannot be reached?

Christianity is in no way resembles Buddhism. Because Buddhism don't teach you how to deal with sins.

Furthermore Buddhism wants you to do many things to achieve something which is unachievable.

God loves all of us the way we are. HE doesn't need us to do lots of things for Him because He is the Creator, not the created.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who here has attained nirvana?
Is it just a dream which cannot be reached?
Obviously nobody here has. Nirvana people acc Bhuddism are higher beings than humans IIRC.
Christianity is in no way resembles Buddhism. Because Buddhism don't teach you how to deal with sins.
I only said that both religions are similar insofar as they provide a role model(/example) to follow. I didn't comment about each's model's unique world view. Bhuddism avoids sin because Bhudda says it brings bad kharma. (Real) Christians strive to avoid sin because Jesus Christ, their example, resisted all temptation and lived an exemplary life without sin.
Furthermore Buddhism wants you to do many things to achieve something which is unachievable.
God loves all of us the way we are. HE doesn't need us to do lots of things for Him because He is the Creator, not the created.
From your last sentence, U sound like U r Christian. That said faith without works is dead (James 2:14-26), so I believe God the creator, now does expect His followers to help out where possible (don't be selfish etc)...
As He hath said: ~ Matthew 25:40: "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"- (NIV)

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a Buddhist, but through conversations with those who are, to attain this happiness, one should detach oneself from material wants. In the lives we live, it is easier said than done although it can be what we attempt to attain. To appreciate what we have instead of yearn for what we don't have, to accept the foods we can afford that lust for things out of our budget, to appreciate the simple things we have or have access to than to desire what we are unable to achieve. The way we have been brought up, such an attitude indicates lack of determination to be a go-getter, a non-achiever and runs contrary to our modern lifestyle and expectations.

For the working class man-in-the street, we have to work to make ends meet and support our families, at least to be able to keep up with the neighbourhood. We work by sunrise, rest at sunset, the sky is too high. Me, I do what I need to do and when I am not working, I drink beer!

Cheers!

to all those who claim that they are buddhists..

tell me how are you able to end suffering?

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not a Buddhist, but through conversations with those who are, to attain this happiness, one should detach oneself from material wants.

There are 3 types of happiness taught by the Buddha.

1. worldly happiness - the five cords of sense desires
2. unworldly happiness - the meditative states of jhana
3. still greater unworldly happiness - a mind freed of greed, hatred and delusion.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The end of suffering is simply the stilling of the five aggregates - form, feeling, perception, volition and consciousness. The path to that stilling is the Buddha's Eightfold Path.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
The end of suffering is simply the stilling of the five aggregates - form, feeling, perception, volition and consciousness. The path to that stilling is the Buddha's Eightfold Path.

the end of suffering for sillypootians is simply to implement genuinely , honestly
the 5 qualities stated on the flag :
democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality