• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Mubarak united a country — in hatred

hahaho

Alfrescian
Loyal
How Mubarak united a country — in hatred
Peter Beaumont
Many backgrounds but protesters have one goal

The widespread protests that began against the regime of President Hosni Mubarak have spread in the last few days to encompass almost an entire people.

It now includes not only the stone-throwing youths who huddled in the fog of teargas below the underpasses near the centre of Cairo, or charged police on the Nile bridges, but Egyptians from all walks of life.

Old and young, the middle classes and the urban poor. Those who didn't take to the streets waved from their balconies or threw water bottles and onions to the crowd below to be used against tear gas. Others handed out paper facemasks for the same purpose.

Down below, the protesters carried signs that said “game over” and wrapped themselves in Egyptian flags. Those driving or on motorbikes sounded their horns.

In the city centre, at a tiny mosque in a side alley, before the protest started the men came for Friday prayers to hear a message that set the tone at first in a man's sermon. “No one has the right to control you save for god,” he said over the loud speaker. “You have the right to speak out, only do it peacefully.”

In the march that began in Muhand aiming to walk to the city centre Tahrir Square, the same message was delivered.

Among the thousands were doctors in white coats, students and professors, those working for NGOs, housewives and children, hotel and shopkeepers.

For what is extraordinary is how this mass movement has all of a sudden united Egypt against a single figure — Mubarak — forging an unexpected alliance of members of the Muslim Brotherhood with those who do not share those Islamist views, union members and activists and those whose politics are only defined by wanting something else, many of them united by the ad hoc networks of social media that have fuelled Egypt's fiercest protests for years.

Call for reform

“I'm here because I support it,” said Muhamad Fakhri, a 52-year-old university professor outside the mosque where the march began. “I don't support any of the opposition leaders. All I want is reform. I'm here because I can see Egyptian people have reached the moment when they must choose. Because people are crushed by the prices of food, because of unemployment, because people should have freedom and democracy. I came to express my opinion against what I believe this government is doing wrong.”

The police lined up to block the route of the march, protesters stepped forward to appeal with the officers to engage them in conversation and asked them to join what has been done Egypt's day of freedom and anger.

A middle-aged employee of a large charity who asked not to be identified, said: “The reason I am here is to join the revolution”, as he marched along the banks of the Nile after the column of protestors had been hit by gas canisters thrown at them by police on a motorway bridge they were holding. — © Guardian Newspapers Limited, 2011

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
They're wasting their time. The net result will be the ousting of one dictator simply to be replaced by another wearing different clothes.

Democracy doesn't work in the Middle East. They haven't graduated from their tribal roots yet.

democracy my butt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Democracy doesn't work in the Middle East. They haven't graduated from their tribal roots yet.

Democracy NEVER Work in anywhere.

Democracy is a hypocrisy cover to glorify western powers when ALL of their Exploitations and Oppression and Bullies are SHIFTED out of their own countries to 3rd World, by War by Colonization by Obscurantism and by Exporting this False Concept of Democracy to 3rd World.

The oppressed exploited and bullied 3rd world people can Never Vote to change their own status of colony nor change their ruling western power. That is how the mechanism of this whole Democracy Con works.

Sucker followers in the 3rd World as chasing false ideology and wasting their time like you said. It is nothing but like dogs chasing their own tails spinning around at the same spot.

Unless the 3rd world and turn around to exploit and bully the west colonize them and force them to eat the same crap and rule them with the same Democracy Reversed then it would work for us.

:wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Democracy NEVER Work in anywhere.

The oppressed exploited and bullied 3rd world people can Never Vote to change their own status of colony nor change their ruling western power. That is how the mechanism of this whole Democracy Con works.

Spore was doing fine until LKY hijacked the process in Spore. Back then it wasn't a true democracy but people were on the whole contented unlike what we have today.

After LKY is gone he will be remembered along with other dictators of SE Asia, Marcos, Suharto,....With all the wealth his family have acquired, they may still be involved in politics :rolleyes: