• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Childcare staff took $87,500

G

General Veers

Singapore
Mar 12, 2010

Childcare staff took $87,500

<!-- by line --> By Elena Chong, Courts Correspondent
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
bawani-cro.jpg

Bawani Murugiah, 27, was working at Kinderjoy Educare as a supervisor and administration assistant when she misappropriated the money. -- PHOTO: CRO

A FORMER child care supervisor who pocketed about $87,500 of company funds was jailed for 21/2 years on Friday. Bawani Murugiah, 27, was working at Kinderjoy Educare as a supervisor and administration assistant when she misappropriated the money. She pleaded guilty to taking $77,673 at the Jalan Tenaga company premises in Bedok Reservoir between February and November 2008, and $6,510 at Kinderjoy School at New Upper Changi Road between September and November that year. A third charge of $3,382 was taken into consideration. A district court heard that the matter came to light when a parent, Mr Wang Genliang, 36, whose two-year-old son was admitted to the centre, went to collect his refund of $500 deposit in December 2008. The centre principal told him that it had not received any payment even though he had paid Bawani a total of $4,227 for eight months. Mr Wang reported to police. Bawani admitted to the police that she had taken money from 52 parents from June 2007 to November 2008 and spent it on food and other luxuries, including car rental and mobile phones. She could have been jailed for up to 15 years and fined on each charge.

TomHill429

Holy Crap! $87,500 scam! Bawani Murugiah deserved that 22 years old punishment. I mean what was she thinking??? I think, she has not understand the pain of low income parents, that is why she planned to waste that hard earned money. This story alerted me a lot, because my toddler is in one eastbourne nursery, i better form some additional checks where bucks are involved! :eek: My all wishes are with those affected 52 parents.