• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

British soldier, 19, travels to join Kurds fighting Islamic State terrorists

Sprint

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

British soldier, 19, travels to join Kurds fighting Islamic State terrorists

The Ministry of Defence confirms it is investigating reports that a 19-year-old soldier, who is not being named, has joined the Kurdish Peshmerga

soldier_3205641b.jpg

The soldier has left his base and joined the Kurdish Peshmerga to fight against IS Photo: SKY NEWS

By Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent
5:05PM GMT 19 Feb 2015

A serving British soldier has travelled to the Middle East to join Kurdish fighters battling against Islamic State.

The unnamed man, understood to be a 19-year-old serving with the 2nd Battalion of The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, left his base in Cyprus after telling his family he was joining the Kurdish peshmerga in their battle against the extremist group because "these guys need our help".

He told relatives that he was leaving two days ago and that he is intending to spend a year in the region, according to Sky News.

He is currently on annual leave. If he does not return when his leave ends, he will be considered Awol sources said, but the priority is to ensure he is safe rather than punish him.

The soldier is understood to be the first serving member of the Armed Forces to join the peshmerga, though several former soldiers are believed to have gone to fight.

The soldier, who joined up at the age of 16 after leaving school, had reportedly been learning Arabic.

"I've gone to join the Kurds in Syria and Iraq," he wrote to his family, according to Sky News. "I'm with other British people and a Canadian at the moment.

"I don't know how to explain it to you but I really want and need to do this and I will be safe."

Soldiers from the same battalion have been training Kurdish forces in Iraq in infantry tactics as part of Britain's effort against Isil, but it is unclear if the soldier had been among the trainers.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We are aware of these reports and are looking into them."

In December it emerged that two former British soldiers had travelled to Syria to fight against IS after feeling "compelled" to take up arms following the murder of aid volunteer Alan Henning.