• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Take On Shan's Ridout Shanty

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For me, one big question remains unaddressed despite the many hours of Parlimentary time spent on the issue.
Shanmugam is the Minister in charge of SLA. He is also a tenant of a state property under the SLA's purview.
In other words, Shanmugam manages his own landlord. He sits on both sides of the transaction - landlord and tenant. But these interests are diametrically opposed.
It's not just about how he bidded for the property and how his bid was accepted. The conflict of interest persists and is incurable for as long as he remains (1) the Minister in charge of SLA, and (2) a tenant of SLA-managed properties.
Let's remember that the rental of cushy bungalows like Ridout Road is not some kind of essential public good. So let's not be distracted by analogies of the Minister for Education sending his kid to a public school, or the Minister for Health visiting a public hospital, or the like.
This is about the Minister in charge of the agency managing very expensive properties, whose monthly rental exceeds the annual salary of many Singaporeans, deciding to rent one of these expensive properties for himself. I've always liked black and whites, he says.
Imagine if you were in his position. On the one hand, you manage SLA. On the other, you're a renter of Ridout Road. When it comes to things like reviewing rental prices for state managed properties, are you going to hike rents in a red hot market, or find ways to minimise the rent you personally have to pay every month?
I may have missed it but was this issue ever ventilated in Parliament? Why is Shanmugam being allowed to remain in this position of actual or apparent conflict of interest for as long as his tenancy lasts? Or unbeknownst to us, has he actually recused himself from all matters relating to state properties for the duration of his tenancy? I certainly don't think I saw that reported in the news.
What do you all think?

From Reddit Singapore

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dis he gain any arbitrage profit ? eg. He rent out his house for $50K pm and he rent the colonial bungalow at bargain price of $20 K pm.His arbitrage profit will be $30K pm.:biggrin:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I read that he had a swimming pool built on a rented property. Why would anyone do that on a property one did not own?

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not just about how he bidded for the property and how his bid was accepted. The conflict of interest persists and is incurable for as long as he remains (1) the Minister in charge of SLA, and (2) a tenant of SLA-managed properties.
This appear to be correct. But is not really correct too.
If like that say then it means hdb ceo cannot buy hdb flat ?

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knn the place shaggy n Vivian stay need 150k to 200k rent per mth for other sites nearby,they rent at the most cheapest rate,60% agree to it so Lankan,its the cheapest rent based on land size n worse is they can cut trees hv swimming pool,live like crazy rich Asians at a very low rental rate,fuck pap

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do dumb sinkies even know almost a million was spent on rental property? Even if you were rich will you do that? And the reno was his sons company! Even najib is not so stupid