• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

History of sam's alfresco forum -- delphi to vbulletin

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Here's a history of Sam's alfresco coffeeshop forum, from delphi to vbulletin as i recall it. Please feel free to correct inaccuracies.

I was mostly a lurker in sam's old delphi forum., posting like, a few times a month only, and not on political issues.

Back in 2007, Samleong surprised forummers by floating the idea of shifting his delphi forum to a private sever. He started a thread on it, in an attempt to "solicit feedback".

Sam gave two specific reasons for moving the forum: (a) complete autonomy with regard to forum management like blocking spammers, control of content, use of reputation point system, etc, and (b) control over the advertisements that appear. In those days, Sam spent his time governing the forum, but all ads that appeared were delphi ads, which gave delphi revenue.

Feedback as I recall was mixed. Some were in favour of moving but many others had grown used to the delphi platform and did not want to change. After a few hundred postings, the issue was not raised again.

Looking back, I realized Sam was "testing water" in preparation for an eventual departure. I feel that back in 2007, he had actually already made up his mind to move.

At that time, it was also the time of the "warring states". A few factions were fighting each other. Some claimed to be from WP, some claimed to be SDP supporters.

People were attacking each other, and TOC/Remy Choo/Andrew Loh was dragged in as well. Most people regarded it as part and parcel of forum experience, but genuine harm came out of that mudslinging.

One harm that materialized was the mudslinging directed at Goh Meng Seng which resulted in the New Paper printing an article on his alleged "adultery". That article was pointless, baseless, and wholly unnecessary, but one side effect was that it gave the attackers much more incentive to continue their antics.

Another harm that emerged was the exposing of Yaw Shin Leong's voting for PAP in the last GE. The exposure of this was orchestrated by some of the nicks involved in the "warring states" conflict. It was not easy on Yaw. His article on voting Teo Ho Pin appeared several times in New Paper and Straits Times, and his online detractors grew. Yaw's political career sank to the bottom of the ocean.

A third harm that came out of the mudslinging was the banning of nicks. Some nicks were banned, including nicks from the SDP side as well as a few neutral nicks. After that, people started become paying members and retaliated by banning other nicks.

The first tipping point I believe came from an infamous moniker "leetahbar" who bragged online that he beat up his father and took money from his younger sister. Leetahbar also made many personal attacks on forummers and was avidly anti-SDP.

Leetahbar's detractors attacked him for this, posting screenshots of his blog, and picture of pigs, and unfortunately this drew in all the "warring states" factions into the mess. In the end, it was a free for all war, escalated by none other than leetahbar.

After leetahbar become the centre of attention, the banning of nicks escalated and eventually grew out of control.

For example, group A will ban group B's nicks, and group B will then retaliate by banning group A's nicks. It was absolute mayhem.

Other people (notably Kojakbt who now heads the 3in1kopitiam) became paying nicks also in order to avoid being banned.

If I can blame one person for the closure of delphi, it would be leetahbar, as he seemed to be most notorious trouble-maker.

The second tipping point was people like leetahbar posting pictures of anuses which caused Sam's delphi site to be classified as an adult site. Once that happen, searching for old forum posts became impossible because posts are no longer indexed. Traffic also decreased over time.

It also did not help that people like Robox were threatening to make police reports over racist remarks in the forum.

In the end, the choice was obvious. Samleong chose to move the forum to a vbulletin hosted on his private server, and never looked back.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
And yet that too has passed. I was a member of the delphi forum since 2001 and the transition to this one was not an issue for me. I like this format better.

Through the years, barring the senseless and almost childish cyberwars, very little of the character of sammyboy has changed,

It is still replete with issue-specific individuals (some who are very grounded with great knowledge while others border on the psychotic) and surprisingly fairly frequent scoops on everything about Singapore. Of course a commonality is still the strident anti-PAP slant of most sammyboy people.

Another constant is how certain nicks never give up disparaging opposition parties and/or pitting one against another. Come election time, the same fools will surface and ask with "concern" : whether one's vote is secret.

Finally, there are still idiots who have not learned when to use the word "advice" as opposed to "advise".

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2008/05/vote-for-other-side.html

Tuesday, May 13, 2008
A Vote For The Other Side

Last Sunday, during WP's walkabout at Nee Soon East SMC & Ang Mo Kio GRC. A party member shared with me about rumblings in a local Internet forum (Sammy Boy) that some forum participants were unable to reconcile with the fact that I voted for Teo Ho Pin in GE2006.

This party member subsequently sent me the forum link here.

I am of the view that it is a trait for humans to operate within the paradigms of subjectivity and objectivity. Personally, I do not believe in opposition for opposition's sake. In this regard, there is nothing inherently wrong for me to vote for an MP, regardless of his/ her partisan background, whom in my opinion is the better man who can better serve the interests of Singapore and my community (Bukit Panjang SMC).

Consciously in so doing, I have raised my understanding on a required 'standard for parliamentary entry'. In another words, being a forefront partisan activist, myself am of the view that a particular candidate from the ruling regime deserves my vote rather than another from the opposition, this invariably reminded me that, the WP has to 'strive so much harder', 'offer so much more' and 'convince so much more' in order 'to get there'.

Actually during GE06 itself, there were also some in WP who raised their eye brows when I shared with them that I will be voting for Teo Ho Pin. On polling day, one urged me that since the incumbent will win anyway I should perhaps 'spoil my vote' instead. However as a citizen of our constitutional state, I take my voting duty very seriously and will never waste my precious vote, unless the political circumstances really warrant it.

The interesting question perhaps would be, if a WP candidate is to offer himself/ herself for election in the constituency I reside, will I vote for this WP candidate? Partisan considerations will certainly weigh heavily in my considerations. Having said that, ultimately this WP candidate has to convince me that he/ she has what it take to better serve the interests of our country and the constituents to win my vote.

Posted by Yaw Shin Leong at 7:16 AM

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe Leetahbar didn't have any political leaning until his enemies were associated to SPD. That guy is just one big cry baby.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now that we mention Leetahbar, might as well change the thread title to Leetahbar, OA, all their clones FALL IN NOW...

they wouldn't miss this opportunity to "fuck you, fuck me"

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
saveazrilah%26sirul.JPG

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

FUCK SDP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notice Ng Ejay ( F-4E Phantom II - Knight (KaiXin1)) one of the main figure of the old SBF and SB sex forum was not mention here?:wink::biggrin:

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YABRmdyuMk?fs=1&amp;hl=zh_CN"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7YABRmdyuMk?fs=1&amp;hl=zh_CN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

now that we mention Leetahbar, might as well change the thread title to Leetahbar, OA, all their clones FALL IN NOW...

they wouldn't miss this opportunity to "fuck you, fuck me"

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You're spot-on!

One very distinctive feature of this forum compared to others like HWZ, SGforums, etc, is that some folks here are very knowledgeable and a few are obviously insiders who can share a lot of scoops.

I think that is one reason MSM reporters like to use this forum as fertile ground to dig up stories. I believe JW5 can share. :biggrin:

Every forum has its share of spammers, psychophants, and agenda-driven individuals. It all comes with the territory. Some forums like Sgforums over censor and their moderators ban people at the drop of a hat.

It is still replete with issue-specific individuals (some who are very grounded with great knowledge while others border on the psychotic) and surprisingly fairly frequent scoops on everything about Singapore. Of course a commonality is still the strident anti-PAP slant of most sammyboy people.

Another constant is how certain nicks never give up disparaging opposition parties and/or pitting one against another. Come election time, the same fools will surface and ask with "concern" : whether one's vote is secret.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This forum is much smoother to the eyes, without all the ads to distract with, and nice format.

However, the only and biggest downside is the infraction system. Sam thinks that it has some kind of magic even when you sent 100 patients from IMH to post nonsense here, it will be automatically cleanup?

:mad:

Of course we all can see it has the opposite effect of creating all those unnecessary nicks with never ending war!

Every forum has its share of spammers, psychophants, and agenda-driven individuals. It all comes with the territory. Some forums like Sgforums over censor and their moderators ban people at the drop of a hat.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Regardless of any changes to any forums or blogs, one thing remains the same -

PAP IS AS SCREWED UP AS BEFORE.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sam's primary concern is traffic. His apparent obsession with tweaking the infraction system is just a distraction.

Like I said before, if Sam feels people like Robox, Tonychat and leetahbar bring traffic to his forum, they'll be back in a jiffy and posting non-stop everyday.

This forum is much smoother to the eyes, without all the ads to distract with, and nice format.

However, the only and biggest downside is the infraction system. Sam thinks that it has some kind of magic even when you sent 100 patients from IMH to post nonsense here, it will be automatically cleanup?

:mad:

Of course we all can see it has the opposite effect of creating all those unnecessary nicks with never ending war!

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
QXP - The Enigma

QXP has always been the Enigma of the old sammyboy forum.

Rabidly anti-PAP and anti-WP, he would keep repeating the same shit over and over again ... degenerate scum, beguiling wayang actress.

He would archive all the posting of forummers he dislikes into one special thread containing literally a few thousand posts, which was later deleted by Samleong.

QXP, also known in real life as Bin Hee Heng, was outed when he was arrested for chaining a bicycle chain to toa payoh library door. He was fined $1000.

The QXP-BHH link was established when both were found to possess deep knowledge of land strata title issues. BHH wrote regularly to straits times, and QXP wrote regularly in SBF concerning it.

After Bin Hee Heng was exposed as the bicycle chain man, he left the forum and was never to be seen or heard off again.

jw5

Loyal
You're spot-on!

One very distinctive feature of this forum compared to others like HWZ, SGforums, etc, is that some folks here are very knowledgeable and a few are obviously insiders who can share a lot of scoops.

I think that is one reason MSM reporters like to use this forum as fertile ground to dig up stories. I believe JW5 can share. :biggrin:

I have never been a reporter, am not a reporter and will never be a reporter. Neither am I associated with any newspapers or publications.

Don't understand what gave you that impression, but I first got wind of this when I asked an innocent question about what went on during the SPP meeting and you immediately asked me to ask some reporters, whom I don't know and have never met.

By the way, I was in Sam's Delphi forum in 1999 and have been using the same nickname since. Never changed nickname, never had clones.

The only possible thing that sets me apart from other forummers is that I'm possibly the only one who has seen Sam in person. A chance meeting may I add.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The only possible thing that sets me apart from other forummers is that I'm possibly the only one who has seen Sam in person. A chance meeting may I add.

How do you know the person is sammyboy? His face is known to be distorted.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
JW5,

Sorry if I mistook you. Your method of probing forummers to reveal information led me, over time, to believe you were a reporter.

It was an honest mistake :eek:

I have never been a reporter, am not a reporter and will never be a reporter. Neither am I associated with any newspapers or publications.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Leongsam's handling of religious zealot postings - A case of good forum administration

In the days of yore at Delphi, Samleong created a religious folder for people to post religious threads.

The folder was placed right at the bottom of the directory listing, and was frequently referred to as "the lower depths of the forum".

This insulting reference to religious postings was fully justified. People who posted in that folder were mostly crazed zealots who engaged in seditious commentary that sought to stir hatred and intolerance.

Over time however, they could not be contained.

Religious zealot postings started to pill over into the main forum directories. They were becoming disruptive. Samleong thus decided to create a separate forum to house those imbeciles.

With the new "peaceful religious discourse" forum, Samleong now had a legitimate excuse to outright censor all the religious zealot postings. He no longer had to tell others to post in the correct directory. He could just delete all religious zealot posts outright.

Of course, the "peaceful religious" forum turned out to be a low-traffic, nonsense forum, as was it was designed to be. After some mindless spamming, traffic ground to zero and it was abandoned by almost all the zealots.

Today we have zealots in the form of TeeKee. But luckily, there are few of them alive online here today. Most of them have migrated to other forums to spill their sewage.