• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

hahahaha! LKY & APEC morons wrong about economy, 2nd round crisis started today!

JI_Fled

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091126/ap_on_bi_ge/world_markets

World stocks fall as dollar slides; gold at record

AP

A Tokyo money dealer looks at a memo as the U.S. dollar is traded at 86.64 yen AP – A Tokyo money dealer looks at a memo as the U.S. dollar is traded at 86.64 yen on the Tokyo foreign exchange …

* Stock Markets Slideshow:Stock Markets
* Garlic cooks up top China returns Play Video Wall Street Video:Garlic cooks up top China returns Reuters

Related Quotes Symbol Price Change
^DJI 10,464.40 +30.69
^GSPC 1,110.63 +4.98
^IXIC 2,176.05 +6.87
By JEREMIAH MARQUEZ, AP Business Writer Jeremiah Marquez, Ap Business Writer – 12 mins ago

HONG KONG – World stock markets dropped Thursday as mostly positive economic news in the U.S. failed to inspire investors and the dollar tumbled to its lowest point against the Japanese yen in more than 14 years.

[COLOR="_______"]Gold, meanwhile, hit a new record high of $1,196.8 an ounce as investors increased their bets on commodities to hedge against the sinking dollar. European stocks followed Asia down in early trade.[/COLOR]

Concerns the greenback will continue to languish showed few signs of letting up following indications the U.S wasn't overly concerned about its currency's slide and will keep interest rates at ultra low levels for some time.

That helped dragged the dollar as low as 86.27 yen — its weakest level since July 1995. The rising Japanese currency in turn hit shares of major exporters like Canon and Honda whose overseas profits and competitiveness erode with a stronger yen.

Japanese Finance Minister Hirohisa Fujii tried to assure the market he was closely monitoring the situation and would "take appropriate steps if foreign exchange rates move abnormally." But that did little to ease investor worries.

"His comments don't really mean anything," said Tsuyoshi Segawa, equity strategist at Mizuho Securities in Tokyo. "He is the finance minister, so of course he should be monitoring foreign exchange closely."

Major markets throughout Asia fell, with Japan's Nikkei 225 stock average losing 58.40 points, or 0.6 percent, to 9,383.24.

In China, the Shanghai index tanked 119.19 points, or 3.6 percent, to close at 3,170.98, the biggest one-day fall since August 31. Hong Kong's Hang Seng shed 1.8 percent to 22,210.41

The losses came amid worries about the market's recent run-up as well as speculation Chinese banks may have to raise more money in case losses from bad loans start to climb.

The lackluster debut in Hong Kong of major lender China Minsheng Banking Corp. — its shares tumbled over 8 percent — added to the dour mood and dragged down banking shares.

Markets in Australia, Singapore, Taiwan and Indonesia also closed lower.

As trading opened in Europe, benchmarks in Britain and Germany fell about 1.5 percent each.

In Tokyo, Toyota fell 1.2 percent after the world's largest automaker said it plans to replace the gas pedals on 4 million vehicles in the United States because of a dangerous flaw.

Overnight in the U.S., a drop in unemployment claims and a rise in home sales lifted stocks in light trading ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday Thursday, when U.S. markets are closed.

The Dow Jones industrial average rose 30.69, or 0.3 percent, to 10,464.40, its second gain in three days and its best finish since October 2008.

The broader Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 4.98, or 0.5 percent, to 1,110.63, and the Nasdaq composite index rose 6.87, or 0.3 percent, to 2,176.05.

Oil prices fell to near $77 a barrel Thursday in Asia, with benchmark crude for January delivery down 93 cents to $77.03. The contract rose $1.94 on Wednesday.

In currencies, the dollar was lower at 86.94 yen from 87.35 yen. The euro traded lower at $1.5057 from $1.5132.

___

AP Writer Tomoko A. Hosaka contributed to this report from Tokyo.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
[World stocks fall as dollar slides; gold at record]

When will the gold bubble burst?

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just came back from Pengarrang (Sg Rengit), there are at least more than 100 ships of all types park offshore. Oil tankers, oil drilling platforms, merchant ships and container ships of all sizes park off the malaysian coast. I really have doubts on the recovery, go see for your self/

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
just don't over spend lah...save as much as you can...the media always tell lies...lies and lies...yes, go and look for yourself...all those gurus of finance are mostly frauds!...so why we people don't learn from the last disaster! i really wonder....

singaporeans rushed in and got burned...never learn. i think they have too much cash and too much time to play around...

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
hadron-collider-2.jpg

2012-Doomsday1.jpg

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dubai problems were already known since the beginning of the week, but they only let it crash when people are home eating turkey...

I guess green shoots don't grow so well in the desert...

similarities between SG and Dubai - hot weather, wooing rich with ambitious projects, no intrinsic attraction, autocracy rule, full of foreigners, underdevelopment of locals

Dubai still can run to Abu Dhabi for money, how about us?

Last edited:

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Emerging markets are hardest hit if this contagion effect spreads...

Shanghai down 3.6%, Greece down 7%

Greece%2011.26_0.jpg

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just don't over spend lah...save as much as you can...the media always tell lies...lies and lies...yes, go and look for yourself...all those gurus of finance are mostly frauds!...so why we people don't learn from the last disaster! i really wonder....

singaporeans rushed in and got burned...never learn. i think they have too much cash and too much time to play around...

The trouble is that the 66.6% of SINgaporeanS are Mascochist, I have known quite a few, who gets shafted; election after election. They grumble, curse & swear, and when asked, "whom did you vote last election", the reply, " PAP".

What to do, it already happened...aren't they Mascochists???:eek:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
singaporeans are gullible, simpletons and simply bochap liao - they're going the way of the kamikaze soon in anything....so erections very unpredictable ones!!! anything can happen now...anything can happen...we cannot stop the storms, the waves , earthquakes and tsunamis happening here....so equip yourself and prepare for the worst...ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN ANYTIME NOW!!!

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trouble is that the 66.6% of SINgaporeanS are Mascochist, I have known quite a few, who gets shafted; election after election. They grumble, curse & swear, and when asked, "whom did you vote last election", the reply, " PAP".

What to do, it already happened...aren't they Mascochists???:eek:

The problem is the 75% continue to have firm faith in the electoral process that is stage managed and manipulated by the PAP. They will wait in vain for the next election to vote out the PAP and then wait another 20 t 50 years for a few more elections.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor me, my advance communication have been blocked for at least 15 years.
Let tell you one real story - My friend was once embarrassed by friends from 3rd world country by showing delay telecast of MISS WORLD PROGRAM at home and proudly announced how great our mediacock, half way to the show, this little kid from 3rd world exclaim " we beam them live with our domestic elec round dise fixed on our roof". This is where we got into trouble.