• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think for HH, the maintenance is supposed to handover over to local council just like ST or any other properties after 2 years.. However I just have to wish since Garmuda still have lots of interests in the selling of new HH prestincts, and the image of Nusajaya is closely related to the success of Garmuda and they need to upkeep the golf course as that is part of the idea of the HH concept that they will do something extra to make the place safe and desirable...

Hey all, just learnt that one disadvantage of ST to HH (not sure about other townships) is that the maintenance and security will not be managed by Setia after 2 years. I believe the security will be down to the local 'council' but what about the area outside our homes? Does this mean that the place will be a mess and rundown with lamp posts that are no long functioning, piles of garbage, overgrown grass, blocked drainage and so on (like some of the older JB properties)? Anyone input please from forumers presently staying in ST or other townships in the same predicament, i.e., developer not overseeing maintenance and security?

Andhika

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi and Arsenal, many thanks for the reply. But who is this local council? is it the MBJB or the truly local (elected from the residents) council? If its the latter, what is in it for them to ensure that the place is well maintained apart from of course their own area looking good and clean and safe.

I think for HH, the maintenance is supposed to handover over to local council just like ST or any other properties after 2 years.. However I just have to wish since Garmuda still have lots of interests in the selling of new HH prestincts, and the image of Nusajaya is closely related to the success of Garmuda and they need to upkeep the golf course as that is part of the idea of the HH concept that they will do something extra to make the place safe and desirable...

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw some local poorly clothed Malay kids playing in the gateway give me a strange feeling... Reasons is we don't see that anymore in Singapore.. I remembered I used to play like them..football, hide and seek etc..
I thought HH is supposed to be like an expensive prestinct in JB so one won't see children playing like that.. However I am fine even if this affect the image that I have in my mind.. I am happy for the kids for the purest and innocence... I hope they won't throw stones into peoples houses like what I used to do when young.. Just have a strange feelings about the culture mix.. Maybe LF is more exclusive in that sense... If people bought a house and need rental income to cover their loans, will they anyhow rent to anyone?

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi and Arsenal, many thanks for the reply. But who is this local council? is it the MBJB or the truly local (elected from the residents) council? If its the latter, what is in it for them to ensure that the place is well maintained apart from of course their own area looking good and clean and safe.

Should be the council elected by local residents..just like any condo in Singapore.. I wish HH to be continuously run by Garmuda as they have vested interests.. If the idea of Nusajaya fall apart, I am sure we got to do it ourselves.. I am glad to be a Neighbour of Wuqi as his influence will give me confidence to buy a house here..

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Outside areas including lights are done by MPJBT etc. Inside including security are done by residents nominated internally. Friends have expressed interest in running the one in Gateway but i have dissuaded them even though some wants to nominate me. It is better to let the developer run it as no matter how well one runs it, people will think you are in it for the money or power (have enough of this back in the office). Quality wise also better to let developer as you may get in corner cutters once they get to run the committee and start to run it into the ground. People may also start to cheat on their maintenance payments and it will go south from there. Enforcment is key, i saw recently one guy who did not pay for a while kick up a fuss at the guardhouse as he was unable to get in. Later, while paying my maintenance fees with another friend, saw him telling the lady serving him proudly, i got 2 terrace houses in Horizon Hills, you think i won't pay you is it. The other lady remarked to him nicely, Mr Wuqi here and his other friend also has multiple properies, they pay promptly and its not fair to others when you don't pay.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Should be the council elected by local residents..just like any condo in Singapore.. I wish HH to be continuously run by Garmuda as they have vested interests.. If the idea of Nusajaya fall apart, I am sure we got to do it ourselves.. I am glad to be a Neighbour of Wuqi as his influence will give me confidence to buy a house here..

Yes, they are still running it and i have persuaded my friends to continue letting them do it. Only a small fry here, you are attributing too much to me, thanks for your kind words though.

In the past, people will say, My sword and bow are at your disposal, for me, what little i know with my knowledge is at your disposal.

Other than maintenace, actually security is the most important link in the chain for me as ignoring it will only make things progressively worse. More will give up on paying maintenance due to security issues or excuses.

One development nearby did that and one precint ended up with no security guards at all. Why go to the trouble and expense of buying a G&G property only to stinge on the security? If its bad security, then change another company, if something is bad, fix it. If the door or alarm on your door is bad, you remove it totally and have no replacement? Again, i may not know better but having at least even a semblance of deterrence and reporting is better than nothing at all.

Some guys got in? Tighten the security, increase the vigilance. Get a guard dog to be on patrol, change the security company.

Many however do it the other way, oh security breach? Ok, good excuse for me not to pay as i find it didn't work or I don't stay here and only rent out so i don't pay. Some will even then tell you how the guards are connected to criminals and again they use that not to pay.

Once more and more people starts to feel that way, its downhill from there and soon no more guards as everyone use that excuse not to pay maintenance. Thats when the place really suffers. Withholding payment is not the only solution especially if it has been proven not to work, why keep doing the same thing?

I am the type who, if all the lifts have no lights, will check and take the stairs. Why wait and keep pressing for something when all the lights are down or the "maintenance" lights are already on. One time back in my office many many years back, they were having an emergency shutdown, everyone wanted to go lunch, only 2 person made it to lunch that day out of an office of at least 50 people.

Why? Everyone thought lifts down, me and a good friend of mine took the cargo lift down. Only after we got back did people realise the cargo lifts can still be used.......

A very learned elder once educated me:
Thinking out of the box is already not good enough, thinking ahead and being at least one step ahead is.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Saw some local poorly clothed Malay kids playing in the gateway give me a strange feeling... Reasons is we don't see that anymore in Singapore.. I remembered I used to play like them..football, hide and seek etc..
I thought HH is supposed to be like an expensive prestinct in JB so one won't see children playing like that.. However I am fine even if this affect the image that I have in my mind.. I am happy for the kids for the purest and innocence... I hope they won't throw stones into peoples houses like what I used to do when young.. Just have a strange feelings about the culture mix.. Maybe LF is more exclusive in that sense... If people bought a house and need rental income to cover their loans, will they anyhow rent to anyone?

Sir Arsenal, i was one of those poor kids in the past when i was young. Probably i had no clothes on my back, back then being probably poorer then them. There are quite a few houses where the owners are SG Malays or local ones who are pretty ok. Just that clothing wise for kids, not every parent spends on them. I think you are referring to the 2.5 storey cluster houses that row with the terraces.

The lowest rental would probably be close to RM 2k for unfurnished unless they are on the very old rate. My neighbours typically rent out their terraces above RM 2.5k. One did it for consistently at RM 2500 without raising prices (for a nice tenant (and actually i recommended if i remember), heard he even installed solar film for them recently) and the others who are currently renting out for about 2.8k-3k.

Clusters are about 3-3.6k and semi-ds are about 4.5 (lowest i heard) to more than 10k. I am not worried about stones from them as i think they are generally well behaved and i never had any problems with them. In fact sometimes they are more than ok as they tend to be good neighbours.
One time my wife drove her larger car, some even waved.

Even at the lowest end, its still at a higher rental premium especially when non gated houses will definitely rent out much cheaper than the cheapest ones here.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good to hear they are nice neighbours.. No problem as I was in similar situation when younger.. Always like to steal neighbour's chickens and plug their fruits.. Sometimes even like to throw stones at some commercial building windows..

Just a bit surprise as suddenly I realise I don't see children playing like that anymore..

Sir Arsenal, i was one of those poor kids in the past when i was young. Probably i had no clothes on my back, back then being probably poorer then them. There are quite a few houses where the owners are SG Malays or local ones who are pretty ok. Just that clothing wise for kids, not every parent spends on them. I think you are referring to the 2.5 storey cluster houses that row with the terraces.

The lowest rental would probably be close to RM 2k for unfurnished unless they are on the very old rate. My neighbours typically rent out their terraces above RM 2.5k. One did it for consistently at RM 2500 without raising prices (for a nice tenant (and actually i recommended if i remember), heard he even installed solar film for them recently) and the others who are currently renting out for about 2.8k-3k.

Clusters are about 3-3.6k and semi-ds are about 4.5 (lowest i heard) to more than 10k. I am not worried about stones from them as i think they are generally well behaved and i never had any problems with them. In fact sometimes they are more than ok as they tend to be good neighbours.
One time my wife drove her larger car, some even waved.

Even at the lowest end, its still at a higher rental premium especially when non gated houses will definitely rent out much cheaper than the cheapest ones here.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was watching Channelnews Asia this morning and caught advertisements by Leisure Farm showcasing Bayou Creek.

They may have done this for a while but came across them for the first time.

Good for those who are vested there! :smile:

skyziz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just some figures of the JB projects I recently visited, may be also interesting to those who're currently in the midst of hunting:-

- HH had recently just launched 2 rows of The Greens on Jalan Hijauan 5/7, 24x75 from RM698,800 (facing North)
- Most Bukit Indah's 20x70 link/terrace (ie: Bellezza etc) hovering around mid RM500k
- Nusa Idaman: 7A 22x75 from RM450,888, 8B 22x75 from RM475,888
- Scientex Skudai: Emerald 2 1/2 storey 24x70 RM518,800; Sapphire 35x65 from RM568,800; Opal 32x65 from RM568,800
- Seri Austin: Amanda show house RM301,800 + RM148,000 (ID cost), Emery series 22x70 from RM389,800 - RM543,800
- Molek Haven: 24x80 from RM698,000
- Mont Callista: Park Villa 40x80 (semi-D) from RM701,000
* All figures are for informational and sharing purposes only

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore-Malaysia RTS close to reality
By Romesh Navaratnarajah

The proposed Rapid Transit System (RTS) connecting Singapore and Johor Bahru in Malaysia may soon become a reality, as both governments are expected to appoint a foreign consultant that will conduct a detailed survey of the project.

According to The Business Times, the study will likely take 12 months to identify the best options and the total cost of the development.

Both countries are still deciding whether to build underground tunnels linking the cities or an elevated rail and road link. A source said the study will "indicate whether it will be viable to have Johor Bahru and Singapore connected by both rail and road."

The original plans state that Singapore and Johor Bahru will be connected via a rail network and the two governments are expected to spend up to RM9.8 billion for the project, the source added.

However, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his Malaysian counterpart Najib Razak announced in January that they are considering an underground road link to be included.

"The project cost has not been discussed by both the governments. The budget can only be estimated after the conclusion of the study by the consultant," noted the source.

"If both the rail and road tunnels are approved, each will be independent from the other for safety reasons. They will not be connected."

Currently, Singapore and Malaysia are linked via the Singapore-Johor Causeway as well as the Second Link.

Both countries are expected to launch the tenders for the project through the Joint Ministerial Committee in H2 2013.

The project could be operational by 2018.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing.

I'm shocked about the greens. Congrats to those early birds, pocketing more than 100k gain (on paper) within a matter of 2 months.

Just some figures of the JB projects I recently visited, may be also interesting to those who're currently in the midst of hunting:-

- HH had recently just launched 2 rows of The Greens on Jalan Hijauan 5/7, 24x75 from RM698,800 (facing North)
- Most Bukit Indah's 20x70 link/terrace (ie: Bellezza etc) hovering around mid RM500k
- Scientex Skudai: Emerald 2 1/2 storey 24x70 RM518,800; Sapphire 35x65 from RM568,800; Opal 32x65 from RM568,800
- Seri Austin: Amanda show house RM301,800 + RM148,000 (ID cost), Emery series 22x70 from RM389,800 - RM543,800

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it seems like for year 2012, it has been a good year so far, and better than what many had predicted in end 2011.

Every reason to feel upbeat about the property market

REPORTS released in the last two to three weeks on the state of the property sector in Malaysia and other countries in this region should offer some comfort to both builders and investors.

The Malaysian Property Market Report 2011 that is issued by the Valuation and Property Services Department of the Finance Ministry has painted a fairly positive picture.

According to the report, the Malaysian property market saw its highest growth in the last five years. For instance, the number of transactions in 2011 was up 14% and the value of transactions in the same year rose 28% compared with the previous year.

Perhaps it is for this reason that sentiment remain upbeat not only among property investors in Malaysia but in other countries in this region as well, such as Indonesia, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Also released just recently is the Asia Property Market Sentiment Report 2012 by iProperty.com, a network of property websites covering Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and Hong Kong.

According to this report, 59.5% of those surveyed think that the Malaysian property market is still doing well, and 62.3% of them have expressed a desire to acquire new property within the next six to 12 months. That, certainly, is a show of confidence in the property market in Malaysia, and sweet music to developers' ears.

More numbers: of those surveyed, 28% have said that they were looking to buy for investment.

But then again, some may ask, is it all that great? Are those numbers for real? Even if they are, are we drawing the right conclusions, the perennial pessimist will ask.

Given the scenario, we have reason to feel positive about the Malaysian property market.

Not reported here or anywhere, but widely acknowledge and perhaps even fairly extensively practised is the purchasing of properties for the future generations.

Parents monitor the prices of houses for the benefit of their children. Many who can afford it are already buying new homes for their children, out of fear that prices could rise to a level beyond their children's means if they wait for the children to grow up, find a job and start looking for a home on their own.

This practice now begs the question: if the children of this generation can't afford to buy their own homes, how then are their own children going to fare? But that is another issue.

Looking at it from an investor's point of view, there is still a lot of upside in the property market, particularly in Malaysia.

The property market in Malaysia is still quite under-priced when compared with those in Indonesia, Hong Kong or our nearest neighbour Singapore.

There are many family ties between Malaysia and Singapore and our cousins across the Causeway have more than occasionally envied us our property prices.

The fact that Singaporeans make up a large proportion of foreign property purchasers in Malaysia, particularly in Johor, is a case in point.

Property developers are also increasingly eyeing markets outside Malaysia with many carrying out promotional efforts to attract buyers from China, Indonesia and of course Singapore.

So long as property remains cheaper in Malaysia than in those countries, we will continue to be an attractive investment destination.

Even moves by the authorities to keep prices in check, such as one proposal to raise the floor price of property foreigners are allowed to buy, may not have the desired effect of preventing prices from rising.

A recent report says that the government may decide to put in place new requirements for foreigners planning to invest in the property market in Malaysia by restricting them to properties valued at RM1mil and above. Currently, they are allowed to purchase any property valued at RM500,000 and above.

This is not likely to have much impact as most property purchases by foreigners are in the RM1mil and above category anyway.

In a buoyant market, this requirement may even encourage developers to raise prices to a level above RM1mil just to widen their target market to include foreigners. That would be one more way to keep prices going up.

On the whole, the economy is performing fairly well. Unemployment rate is about 3% while the inflation rate was at 2.2% in February. The Bursa Malaysia index hit a new high this month.

Foreign direct investment has also risen by 12.3% to RM32.9bil in 2011 compared with the previous year.

These are reasons to feel upbeat. If one needs an indicator on how good sentiments are, just count the number of new property launches since the beginning of this year.

The three hotspots of Klang Valley, Penang and Johor Baru continue to command top prices as demand continues to focus on these three areas.

Overall growth for the residential sector, according to the Malaysian Property Market Report, was 19%, with Selangor recording the highest for home transactions at 28%.

Yes, there is reason to be optimistic. The challenge now is to ensure that we continue to enjoy sustained growth, but prices remain affordable for the vast majority of Malaysians.

Most of all, we do not want the bubble to burst.

Teh Lip Kim is the MD of SDB Properties Sdn Bhd, a lifestyle property company. Bouquets and brickbats are welcomed. Send by email to [email protected].

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro wuqi, this has very much reinforced your message that degree/education is not everything ...

1 in 2 new US graduates are jobless or underemployed

*World*|Updated today at 10:17 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - The United States college class of 2012 is in for a rude welcome to the world of work.

A weak labour market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don't fully use their skills and knowledge.

Young adults with bachelor's degrees are increasingly scraping by in lower-wage jobs - waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk or receptionist, for example - and that's confounding their hopes a degree would pay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans.

An analysis of government data conducted for The Associated Press lays bare the highly uneven prospects for holders of bachelor's degrees.

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Say bye-bye to my plan to own a new car in the immediate future ...

On the other hand, this news made me felt so good to have planned and taken action towards my own freedom. Should make u guys who own the flats even happier :smile: great moves everyone!

Will flat and COE prices break ceiling?

By Benson Ang

Certificate of entitlement (COE) prices breached the $90,000 mark on Wednesday.

Recently, an HDB resale flat broke the $900,000 threshold. So when can we expect to see a $100,000 COE and a $1 million HDB flat? We ask the experts to look into their crystal balls.

COE prices: Will hit $100,000 before June or August this year

Back in 2007, the premium for an open COE, which can be used to buy any vehicle type, went only as high as $19,500.

Five years later, the premium has skyrocketed due to a shrinking supply of COEs and fewer cars being scrapped.

Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew said on Sunday that COE prices are high due to strong demand - with wages still on the rise, dealers introducing new car models and more people bidding now in expectation that premiums may rise further.

COE supply, already at its lowest, is set to fall further in the next six-monthly quota. From August this year, the vehicle population growth rate will be cut from 1.5 per cent to 0.5 per cent.

RL: Mr Ron Lim, general manager of Tan Chong Motor Sales.

LDH: Associate Professor Lee Der Horng from the National University of Singapore, who is a transport researcher.

COE prices will continue to increase because...

RL: Some people are trying to buy COEs now, knowing that the quota will be cut in August. We expect this cut to be between 30and 43 per cent for passenger cars. This means that there could be 1,000 fewer COEs available every month after the cut.

LDH: The demand for taxis and small luxury cars are pushing COE prices up, and supply is being cut soon. Prices will naturally rise.

When can we see a $100,000 COE?

RL: Probably before August this year, maybe as early as late June. That's when potential buyers can estimate the number of COEs that will be available in August. Demand will be red-hot then.

LDH: Probably before June this year. As the supply of COE is being cut, people might panic and rush into the market. I suspect the first to cross the mark would be COEs for big cars and open COEs, which are also mostly used for big cars.

(The COE price for big cars is currently $91,000, and the price for an open COE is $92,010.)

Will COE prices ever come down?

RL: Of course. Car owners must deregister their cars within 10 years, and many car owners have been holding on to their COEs from as early as 2002. In the coming years, we predict that more owners will have to deregister their cars, so more COEs will be available.

LDH: Yes, within two to three years. I expect that about 70 per cent of current vehicles will have to be deregistered by then. There will be a flood of COEs and the price may fall to below $80,000.

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw both the companies at the recent home fair. Good products, especially hong lee, their booth was so packed with people ...

Wow, sounds nice. Good to hear that you're enjoying your stay. Hope you manage to source out some good vendors/suppliers for your home reno.

I was at Jalan Rosmerah, Johor Jaya yesterday to send my Phillips TV for repair at the authorised service centre. Saw a few shops that could be useful for future renovation. One was the Eubiq Power Tracks that we thought of using for our kitchen, study and living room area. Website is www.exaltech.com.my. Another was a company specialising in aluminium works. They can fabricate almost any idea you want using aluminium such as kitchen cabinets and accessories, doors, windows, wardrobe, shoe cabinet, bathroom, etc, websire is www.honglee.my. There was a shop selling unique decor items and paintings, definitely worth checking it and on the same row, alarm/cctv shop and another window tint shop.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

For those interested in NI , if u can wait , please wait for West lake launch ....
East lake P8B only left a few intermediate lots which singaporean cant buy ....

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro wuqi, this has very much reinforced your message that degree/education is not everything ...

1 in 2 new US graduates are jobless or underemployed

*World*|Updated today at 10:17 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - The United States college class of 2012 is in for a rude welcome to the world of work.

A weak labour market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don't fully use their skills and knowledge.

Young adults with bachelor's degrees are increasingly scraping by in lower-wage jobs - waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk or receptionist, for example - and that's confounding their hopes a degree would pay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans.

An analysis of government data conducted for The Associated Press lays bare the highly uneven prospects for holders of bachelor's degrees.

This is why having a basic degree is only just a piece of paper. Its critical to get the relevant skillsets be it academic or softskills that will see one through to the next job. It is truly a knowledge economy and knowing more than the next person enables one to be just one step ahead and close that deal or job before the competitors do.

Ones attitude in life is also very important, increasingly we are looking at people who are asking more questions, being more critical in their thinking and being more driven to find out more. The game has changed, some rules have been thrown out, some will always stay the same. Being able to master and meld them into something coherent is one of the ways not to be swamped by the changing tides.

A plane only has to go above the storm clouds to be above stormy weather, a submarine only needs to submerge to be safe from the strongest tempest.
Knowing that you can AND doing it is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.