• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbie questions

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've always read about Sinkies moving to Johor and commuting to work. In theory, it is a good idea. It's similar to how people live in the suburbs (JB) and commute to the city area for work (Singapore). However, in all such examples we are talking about the same country.

Maybe someone could enlighten me, but isn't there visa considerations to this plan? Everyone seems to say just buy property and move in and no questions asked. Shouldn't one need to get Malaysian PR first in order to stay there? Or is there a special visa category for such people?

Also, I am wondering about regulation risks. What happens if the Malaysian govt suddenly decides that in order for non-citizens to live in JB, you need to get Malaysian PR? If I am not mistaken, Malaysian PR is not as easy to get as a Sinkie PR, where the damn PAP give out PRs like toilet paper...

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Visa Considerations for Living in JB?

I've always read about Sinkies moving to Johor and commuting to work. In theory, it is a good idea. It's similar to how people live in the suburbs (JB) and commute to the city area for work (Singapore). However, in all such examples we are talking about the same country.

Maybe someone could enlighten me, but isn't there visa considerations to this plan? Everyone seems to say just buy property and move in and no questions asked. Shouldn't one need to get Malaysian PR first in order to stay there? Or is there a special visa category for such people?

Also, I am wondering about regulation risks. What happens if the Malaysian govt suddenly decides that in order for non-citizens to live in JB, you need to get Malaysian PR? If I am not mistaken, Malaysian PR is not as easy to get as a Sinkie PR, where the damn PAP give out PRs like toilet paper...

No choice, got to take the risk or apply MM2H. To be safe, always keep one house in Singapore to return to. Like that will not end up homeless.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

start to prepare 500,000 rm if u are under aged 50 and open a FD account liao.. haha

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal

So there is no legal infrastructure set up for Singaporeans who live in JB and work in SG? What is the MM2H?

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Married couple looking to spend CNY arond Nusajaya/HH for 2 nights(Any house/Resorts)

Hello Folks, I am looking to spend a couple of nights during CNY with my partner at around Nusajaya. I would like to know if there are any resorts around this area which have similar facility. If not any of you who have a house around Horizon Hills and would be interested to rent out their house for 2 nights it would be nice.

Cheers,

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hiring a maid (Domestic Helper) in Johor Bahru.. How?..

As above..

any know?.. Since, most of us are staying there as tourist visa, can we get a maid there?..

I have already asked malaysian the cost of maids.

indonesia ones cost around 600 RM per month. Can forget all the domestic levy that singapore is imposing. In Malaysia , we only need to apply visa for the maid and the guy can continue working for you.

I heard pinoy ones cost like 800-900RM due to the fact that they know how to speak english... ?

Hmm..

Feedback appreciated.. :smile::smile:

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal

So there is no legal infrastructure set up for Singaporeans who live in JB and work in SG? What is the MM2H?
You're overthinking it. We are just day trippers! PR is required if you want to work here and extended visa if own country is too far away to fly home to every month. Think about. You only get in trouble in a foreign country if you 1. Enter illegally 2. Commit crime 3. Overstay 4. Work / trade without permit.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Batok Seri has scored with his power-packed vocabulary once again.
You sound extremely risk averse. The risk is always there but what is the probability?? In the 45 years since SG split from MY, i don't recall any instance where the MY government did anything that crazy. I know many will cite CLOB shares saga as an example but if you recall... it is those shareholders who thought of the MY govt as hopeless and disposed off their shares for a few pennies that suffered... those who waited did not lose that much... furthermore that was in retaliation of Sinkie govt for its role in swinging the MY maket.

Back to the topic.. there are a few thousands people who have been commuting daily for years (including myself)... so this is not "in theory".
If you hope for a "legal infrastructure" to cater for Sinkies living in JB and commuting to SG daily for work... i think it is not going to happen anytime soon.
But i cannot think of any reason why either govt would want to stop this... but i agree there is a risk of "unforeseen costs" that could make it less attractive to live in JB and work in SG... eg. more restriction to Sinkies buying petrol, tax changes, etc

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The 'Special Visa' for such group of people is MM2H (Malaysia My 2nd Home). Most of us didn't apply as it has a requirement for one to place a certain amount of money to in Fixed Deposit. We just enter Malaysia as tourist with 30 days stay permit each time. They came out with this MM2H for the convenience of foreigners(no need to leave and re-enter Malaysia after every 30 days) and to attract foreigners to buy property/ies in Malaysia as their 2nd home - thus they named this Visa 'Malaysia My 2nd Home'.

Imagine you are an Indonesian and your 2nd home is in Malysia's KL city, traveling out of Malaysia just to get your tourist visa renewed will be a Big hassle and costly too. For us Singaporeans with a 2nd home in Johor, we can exit and re-enter Malaysia rather easily(so it's not a problem to most of us).

Last edited:

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal

So from what I can gather, there is an "unofficial" way that Sinkies can stay in Malaysia, by basically entering on a tourist/visitor visa waiver program. One assumption you guys make is that one can indefinitely use a series of 30-day tourist visa. That however is subject to regulatory changes by the Malaysian govt.

No offense, but this is risky, especially for people who have sold their property in SG and their only home is in MY. In other countries that I am familiar with (e.g. Canadian-US border), this kind of stuff is not allowed. For e.g. even though Canada and US have visa waiver treaty much like SG and MY, a Canadian citizen cannot live in the US and cross the border to work in Canada. There have been cases whereby the US immigration officer figured this out and they denied the Canadian entry into US. Tourist/Visitor visa is strictly for tourism and visiting, not meant for long-term living in that country (aka permanent residence). So my guess is that the MY immigration authorities don't really care and turn a blind eye to this. For now anyway...

Last edited:

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal

No offense, but this is risky, especially for people who have sold their property in SG and their only home is in MY. In other countries that I am familiar with (e.g. Canadian-US border), this kind of stuff is not allowed. For e.g. even though Canada and US have visa waiver treaty much like SG and MY, a Canadian citizen cannot live in the US and cross the border to work in Canada. There have been cases whereby the US immigration officer figured this out and they denied the Canadian entry into US. Tourist/Visitor visa is strictly for tourism and visiting, not meant for long-term living in that country (aka permanent residence). So my guess is that the MY immigration authorities don't really care and turn a blind eye to this...
Difference is "US" is inviting us to buy homes here and even provide MACS to aid all this toing and froing without using up your passport pages. Its hardly surreptitious and quite a few Sporeans have Johore address on their pink ic. Appreciate sharing US-Canada experience but no offence hor.. You sound like globetrotting but still true blue sporean who need u turn sign to say can u turn then you u turn.

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Married couple looking to spend CNY arond Nusajaya/HH for 2 nights(Any house/Reso

Are there NO resorts around that area..????

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Married couple looking to spend CNY arond Nusajaya/HH for 2 nights(Any house/Reso

Hitesh

You may want to try Leisure Farm - they have units available for rental from the developer itself. Check it out at their website :smile:

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks Checkers!! JUst checked.. they are fully booked for the CNY! and the rates are higher than a stay at sentosa resort....

Hope i could get some something for teh CNY.... cheers.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leisure Farm is fully booked for CNY? unbelievable !

Why don't you try Tune Hotels ? Nusajaya is around the corner.

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tnx Checkers for your guidance... I was surprised myself, they said they are fully booked untill Feb end... strangely!! and the rates put up on their web site is like 800RM for 1 night.. which is really too high!!

Is Tune Hotels decent? Though it is has a very good price, but i would prefer something in between ... atleast a swimming pool ...i just checked and Tune does not have a swimming pool....

Also i would prefer something closer to nusajaya or westwards rather than in the crowded JB city....

Do u have any help any further on this..?

Icyraine

Alfrescian
Loyal

The only decent 5 star hotel is Thistle Hotel, it has a nice pool. it's at JB city but with the costal highway, you will reach HH in less than 15 mins.

Tnx Checkers for your guidance... I was surprised myself, they said they are fully booked untill Feb end... strangely!! and the rates put up on their web site is like 800RM for 1 night.. which is really too high!!

Is Tune Hotels decent? Though it is has a very good price, but i would prefer something in between ... atleast a swimming pool ...i just checked and Tune does not have a swimming pool....

Also i would prefer something closer to nusajaya or westwards rather than in the crowded JB city....

Do u have any help any further on this..?

Hitesh

Alfrescian
Loyal

tnx for this.. i guess as of now this sounds the best option.. though i would have prefered the stay at NUsajaya vicinity to get a feel of the place...

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal

tnx for this.. i guess as of now this sounds the best option.. though i would have prefered the stay at NUsajaya vicinity to get a feel of the place...

Probably the nearest is Pariss Hotel... it is very near to Bukit Indah central and just a short drive into HH...
There are also some smaller budget hotels nearby along Taman Bestari.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Come to think of it, there is a demand for weekend stay in this area, especially with theme parks coming up.
Presently Leisure Farm would be the "resort" that is worth staying. One can play golf, horse riding, and enjoy the lovely nature.

In comparison, you can stay a weekend at Riders' Lodge at Sedenak for RM999 per head - this includes a few hours of horse riding + 2 nights stay (you have to drive there yourself). So if you have a family of 3 that is RM3k. I believe Leisure Farm would have taken these comparisons into considerations. It is probably more worthwhile if you have a bigger group that can occupy all three rooms in the RM800 per night house.

It is not a very high price to pay to have a real experience of staying in one of these properties, in my view :smile:

Last edited: