• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

anyone into planted aquariums, shrimps, fish or aquatic plants ?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Algal problems are most acute in new tanks, where the balance between fish, plants, filtration and fishkeeper has yet to be established. Yet algae can also strike older tanks, particularly if maintenance has been neglected or the tank has been overfed or over-stocked.

plants will usually control algae growth once established. You don’t need to be an expert .floating plants of various kinds are the best defense against algae, and they’re very easy to grow unless you’ve got overly turbulent water. Floating plants take up a lot of nutrients, too, helping keep the water pure.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is my fish tank

fdcdb5.jpg

Looks like a new tank ... :wink: should have more plants .. Angel fish is too big for your tank .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wao you good leh. Please show us the photograph of your tank. It must be very nice.

I already stop my planted hobby Liao . Used to keep a 4ft planted tank and enter Japan planted tank contest but never win . Just got into first 50th .

I_hv_adream

Alfrescian
Loyal
I already stop my planted hobby Liao . Used to keep a 4ft planted tank and enter Japan planted tank contest but never win . Just got into first 50th .

cool but sad to hear that you quit your hobby.

OK one more question before I sleep, can I place shrimps into the tank together with my angel fish?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is important to make sure that your planted aquarium does not contain any other inhabitants that could have the potential of consuming your shrimp. Dwarf shrimp are small and range anywhere from 1” to 2” and if kept in the same aquarium with larger fish like oscars, arowanas, discus, angelfish, rams, etc., they will easily see the shrimp as food. If you do plan to keep shrimp with inhabitants that have potential of eating the shrimp, it is important to make sure that your planted aquarium is heavily planted to provide some kind of protection. As a planted aquarium hobbyist who also keeps shrimp, I recommend only keeping shrimp with smaller fish like tetras and rasboras, or simply have shrimp as the only inhabitant in your planted aquarium.

Another important thing to take into consideration is your water parameters. If you are able to maintain quality water, you will have better success with keeping shrimp alive. It is important to make sure that there is no ammonia in your water , otherwise you will end up with dead shrimp. High levels of copper can also cause shrimp deaths. Temperatures of about 74-78 degrees F and a pH level between 6.4 and 7.2 are suitable for most dwarf shrimp today with the exception of Sulawesi shrimp, which requires harder water and a higher temperature.

Here are a few species of shrimp that I recommend to those who are new to keeping dwarf shrimp.

1) Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica)
2) Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda var. red)
3) Crystal Red Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis sp. red)

If you are able to understand and accommodate these basic needs of dwarf shrimp, you should have no problem keeping them in your planted aquarium with success. Shrimp are neat little creatures that give your planted aquarium color, help control algae, and help finish any left over fish food that made its way to the bottom .

Last edited:

nickname

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends on the types of aqua marines you having, the phi of the water plays an important role in regulating the health of your marines.

JuliaScissors

Alfrescian
Loyal
cool but sad to hear that you quit your hobby.

OK one more question before I sleep, can I place shrimps into the tank together with my angel fish?

Amano shrimps are very good algae eater. Cherry shrimps are the next slightly hardy shrimps you can try. One important thing is shrimps are very sensitive to metal contents in liquid fertilizer, especially copper. One safe fert is seachem comprehensive. If you see your shrimps dropping dead one by one, look at the fert first.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
tap water has a really high kH and a relatively low gH maybe TS can use reverse osmosis (RO) water for his planted tank .

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Amano shrimps are very good algae eater. Cherry shrimps are the next slightly hardy shrimps you can try. One important thing is shrimps are very sensitive to metal contents in liquid fertilizer, especially copper. One safe fert is seachem comprehensive. If you see your shrimps dropping dead one by one, look at the fert first.

ADA soil is good for shrimps and planted tank .. It create a Eco system in the tank .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Do you remove small dead fish or leave it to be part of ecocycle

If u use ADA soil u can leave it inside and the dead fish will act as fertilizer and also the shrimp will eat it .. So it's kind of Ecocycle .