• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have indoor (air conditioned) and outdoor ranges. Minimum is like 6 depending on the type of bow, etc.
Very good for strengthening ones focus. I never trained for competition anymore after one time my instructor asked me
to go to NUS for competition. Never told them why, even good buddies, never went to the 18 metre indoor range either.

Because of one reason, who do i represent when i get there?

Haha! I don't mind if my son gotton chosen for competition. For the fact that he was trying to get into the school archery team for CCA, but wasn't chosen because he wasn't tall enough and his strength still not there. The school team was famous for archery and he chose it because of archery. He mood was down for a couple of days.

One thing I find nowadays, schools gets so involved in winning competitions that they forgotten to nurture those that have interest. They only go for those that have the potential to win.

And for those having young kids now, my advise is to see what is your kid's inclination. Then prepare them early inordered not to be disappointed.

Neverthelessly, 此处不留爷, 自有留爷处! Don't say I never offer huh.... :biggrin:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have indoor (air conditioned) and outdoor ranges. Minimum is like 6 depending on the type of bow, etc.
Very good for strengthening ones focus. I never trained for competition anymore after one time my instructor asked me
to go to NUS for competition. Never told them why, even good buddies, never went to the 18 metre indoor range either.

Because of one reason, who do i represent when i get there?

And hey! Would you kindly tell me where to get proper training for competitions. You can PM me if not convenient. :smile: Thanks in advance.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Haha! I don't mind if my son gotton chosen for competition. For the fact that he was trying to get into the school archery team for CCA, but wasn't chosen because he wasn't tall enough and his strength still not there. The school team was famous for archery and he chose it because of archery. He mood was down for a couple of days.

One thing I find nowadays, schools gets so involved in winning competitions that they forgotten to nurture those that have interest. They only go for those that have the potential to win.

And for those having young kids now, my advise is to see what is your kid's inclination. Then prepare them early inordered not to be disappointed.

Neverthelessly, 此处不留爷, 自有留爷处! Don't say I never offer huh.... :biggrin:

I understand, some kids are late bloomers, etc. Thats why i disagree with early streaming, etc. Case in point, had a friend who went to 7E or something in Primary school yet made it to 6A and then suddenly to Express stream, one of the top scorers in the entire school in our cohort.

So never give up on your kids even though it may seem hopeless, you never know what they will become later in life, give
them a chance.

If someone like me, who both parents and state had no hopes to begin with could succeed, anyone can succeed.

Please don't give up on your kid just because someone said so.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks for the info bro. Will check it out soon.

Btw, the bows that they use in school is totally different. Its very heavy and as tall as my son. Those that you have shown looks so 'toy-like'. Which type do they use for competitions?

Yes, thats the recurve type or unless you are referring to longbow?
Mainly this type for competition but hard to hold on to once fully drawn. There are mainly for competition in Olympics, etc. These bows can be slightly overdrawn for more power. Shooting this is an art.

The compound bow is starting to gain traction for competitions as well.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The bow Stallone was using was also a compound bow.

tumblr_m0tqxyKWzc1rqdg4lo1_500.jpg

http://www.cartertown.com/rambobows.htm

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Not wanting to shoot down anything like that. :smile: I just want to let my son have a place to see how far he could go in this sport.

Hahaha, i know, just to show you that these are far from toys. Its good to let him try. Here, there are no restrictions, anyone can join and learn. Mark can train them for competition as well. Archery is for everyone, not just elites. I am one of the faster archers (not necessarily better accurate) but i can still hit the target with all the arrows.

One time practise, i average about 220 shots which is way too much for competition practise where form, maximum accuracy etc is emphasized. Mine is like concentrating on putting more arrows downrange which was why when no one else was using the rest of the targets. I would put myself in the middle and between the lanes and begin shooting at various targets, large and small, both left and right. One particular day, shot about 400 arrows. Luckily got a few bows so shared out the heavy load amongst them.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Looks like that although those they use for practice looks longer:-

View attachment 4295

The one they are using in the picture posted is a recurve bow, typically about 20+ pounds. Mark has them too.

The one i have is compound which can go up to 80 pounds or more. I have one which is 65 pounds but
the sound of the arrow is scary as is the bow itself. Bought a recurve for my dad sometime back but he
doesn't use them so will pass on to my son when he gets older. I will also adjust to lower pound for my
son to use the compound bow. Found that laser sights are mostly a waste of time btw though they look
real cool.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
The one they are using in the picture posted is a recurve bow, typically about 20+ pounds. Mark has them too.

The one i have is compound which can go up to 80 pounds or more. I have one which is 65 pounds but
the sound of the arrow is scary as is the bow itself. Bought a recurve for my dad sometime back but he
doesn't use them so will pass on to my son when he gets older. I will also adjust to lower pound for my
son to use the compound bow. Found that laser sights are mostly a waste of time btw though they look
real cool.

I suspect the school lets the students use heavier ones for trainings then switch to lighter ones for competitions. As those they use for student selections definately feels more heavy then 20 pounds.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha, i know, just to show you that these are far from toys. Its good to let him try. Here, there are no restrictions, anyone can join and learn. Mark can train them for competition as well. Archery is for everyone, not just elites. I am one of the faster archers (not necessarily better accurate) but i can still hit the target with all the arrows.

One time practise, i average about 220 shots which is way too much for competition practise where form, maximum accuracy etc is emphasized. Mine is like concentrating on putting more arrows downrange which was why when no one else was using the rest of the targets. I would put myself in the middle and between the lanes and begin shooting at various targets, large and small, both left and right. One particular day, shot about 400 arrows. Luckily got a few bows so shared out the heavy load amongst them.

I have heard somewhere that archery is addictive? 400 arrows is no joke to me. Must have spent a lot huh?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I suspect the school lets the students use heavier ones for trainings then switch to lighter ones for competitions. As those they use for student selections definately feels more heavy then 20 pounds.

I should have been more specific. Actually 20 pounds refer to the amount of force required to pull it back to full draw.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I have heard somewhere that archery is addictive? 400 arrows is no joke to me. Must have spent a lot huh?

Actually alot if in SG, not a lot here thanks to him. He will not try to sell you something you cannot use.
The difference between this and a gun is that you can reuse the arrows so don't have to buy so many.
Yes some bullets can be reloaded but that takes time and equipment. Arrows, pull out and continue! :smile:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
DAmn UMNO will hate PAP to the core if the tolls in Singapore were raised as tit-for-tat. Malaysians will be pissed off, esp those with Spore PR. Their kids cant enter top schools already they are very sad.. now being screwed when they drive spore and malaysia cars. They may want to consider driving Thailand cars into car to work or study in the future. It does make sense for our government to make the difference of PR and citizens larger.
If they coninue doing what they should do, my votes will go to PAP next elections for sure

Its good news for Singapores but no good news for us renting out our flats and staying in JB. Can't have that cake and eat it. What to do?

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha, after seeing the recent threads, the non believers might think that we need sabres, kuan dao, parang, bows and arrows and heavily fortified castle in order to live here...

I am thinking if I can setup high voltage fence round my house plus shield and arrows to fight off the bad force..

All I want is just space and a place I can really relax!

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Ha, after seeing the recent threads, the non believers might think that we need sabres, kuan dao, parang, bows and arrows and heavily fortified castle in order to live here...

I am thinking if I can setup high voltage fence round my house plus shield and arrows to fight off the bad force..

All I want is just space and a place I can really relax!

Hahahaha,its just different comfort level for different people. Some just wants to be fully prepared just in case the daily riots people were speaking of ever takes place. Actually never had a need for them, if i really need them daily, probably best not to stay here in the first place.

Archery is still more as a sports than really anything else like what i was sharing to Cathylmg as she intends to let her kids try out.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Ok back to your regular programmes :smile:

Hi boss,

I went to Nusa Duta ( new office near the entrace to Nusa Duta) to make my payments.
They launched the S-D's in Feb'12- 64 units. Type G ( 50x75) at RM 1,003,000 and type H ( 50x80) at RM 1,143,000.
Type H is the better design with a courtyard and balcony at ther master B-R. So far, only 18 units remain.
7 were bought by Singaporeans, 11 more can be sold to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.