• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeinjb

Alfrescian
Loyal
i did contact CitiBank as well, but since they offered me only upto the max of 65% loan, i had no option but to drop it. btw development is HH

Bro, no matter what our feedbacks on the banks are, IMHO, you should not rule out SCB, especially if they have tied up with the developer. If u see these bankers especially during new launches, they are normally the one that can offer so-called "special" offer/packages. Things could change for a bank if they see opportunities. I have personally witnessed the improvements on these foreign banks such as Citibank and Hsbc. When they are aggressive with a new project, they are really agressive.

Out of curiosity, Can u let us know which development it is? Cheers

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, Citibank is like that, unless they give fully support to a project. This was shared by the officer I spoke to.

As this is HH, I trust that more bros will be giving u More advices soon. Congrats on your decision :smile:

i did contact CitiBank as well, but since they offered me only upto the max of 65% loan, i had no option but to drop it. btw development is HH

ODYSSEY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi and friends,

Just wanted to share that I went up to my roof last Sat to check on the reserve water tank at my HH Golf house. The tank is not very big ( maybe 1 metre in diameter and about 1 metre high) and is made of those tough plastic-like material, it is not metal and it sits on a concrete base. There is an inlet tap (presumably from the mains) and about 2 to 3 outlet taps leading water from the tank to the rest of the house. The outlet pipings are PVC and are about 2 inches in diameter.

While up there, I noticed the rafters are wood and not metal as I had originally thought. And yes, there is a wall built separating the neighbour's and mine (phew!). So, I should have no fear of intruders entering my roof whether accidental, or otherwise, through my neighbour's roof. Then again, mine is a corner house and I cant tell for sure if there is a separating wall for the rest of the terraces.

Afternote:
My friend, who has his house behind mine, has gotten his plumber to divert the water from the mains to the rest of the house, bypassing the reserve tank. He didnt fit a water pump and the pressure is more than good for the taps on his second floor. The water pressure at the ground floor was so powerful that it splashes each time the tap is opened. According to his plumber you do not need to fit a pump to increase the water pressure - the water at the mains at HH is so good, it can "shoot" a 3-house distance away, having tested it himself. Hope this is helpful to those having poor water pressure. : )

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Last time when I was in secondary school , when comes to home economics class, my classmate always have to help me to sew . If not I pretend can't finish , hv to bring home n ask my dad to sew for me.....I am just not so lady like .....

I am actually quite good at sewing, being in the army outfield and then while i was overseas a lot trained my independance. I also repaired a fellow platoon mate spectacles using first a metal staple and then lead solder. Surprisingly worked well enough that he didn't changed his specs for over a year, i also made myself a steadfast friend as i didn't know him well before that. The thought of a fellow soldier wandering in the dark with no specs was pretty bad but no one else bothered and he kept bumping into things. Being a wearer of specs as well, i can identify with that.

I am also pretty good at ironing and washing clothes by hand. My wife said i will make a first class maid, hahaha.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats good deal, sis.

I ever went to the zon once. Thinking that I found the heaven for duty free liquors. It was indeed duty free within the complex but I didn't know I would have to pay duty if I bring it out of complex. So of course I was being checked and embarrassed myself and in the end, the liquor cost more than what I could get at supermarket.... My buddy laughed at me and subsequently told me that there were other Modus operandi but i had no urge to go back there ever since that ordeal. It's funny thinking back :smile:

That was my first visit to the Zon, yeah there was custom check but I only bought towels and there was no tax for that..they didn't even check the boot, just asked me whether there is alcohol and I said no.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro

This whole thing amazed me, on the alternative ways to deal with things and in an effective way

Don't know how mine will work and if this method will work at all other tamans? Btw, pardon me, do all new houses come with a tank? This is an area I failed to pay attention to. I must take note and learn about the roof and its tank system when I visit the new developments next time

Hi Wuqi and friends,

Just wanted to share that I went up to my roof last Sat to check on the reserve water tank at my HH Golf house. The tank is not very big ( maybe 1 metre in diameter and about 1 metre high) and is made of those tough plastic-like material, it is not metal and it sits on a concrete base. There is an inlet tap (presumably from the mains) and about 2 to 3 outlet taps leading water from the tank to the rest of the house. The outlet pipings are PVC and are about 2 inches in diameter.

While up there, I noticed the rafters are wood and not metal as I had originally thought. And yes, there is a wall built separating the neighbour's and mine (phew!). So, I should have no fear of intruders entering my roof whether accidental, or otherwise, through my neighbour's roof. Then again, mine is a corner house and I cant tell for sure if there is a separating wall for the rest of the terraces.

Afternote:
My friend, who has his house behind mine, has gotten his plumber to divert the water from the mains to the rest of the house, bypassing the reserve tank. He didnt fit a water pump and the pressure is more than good for the taps on his second floor. The water pressure at the ground floor was so powerful that it splashes each time the tap is opened. According to his plumber you do not need to fit a pump to increase the water pressure - the water at the mains at HH is so good, it can "shoot" a 3-house distance away, having tested it himself. Hope this is helpful to those having poor water pressure. : )

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
An example:

Property price - RM 500K
Annual rental - RM 25K (5% yield)
Expenses (incl interests, maintenance..etc) - RM 15K
Net income - RM 10K (25 - 15)
Tax - RM 2,600 (26% of 10K)

For non resident... Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help, non residents have no deductions. Only deductions for income tax is if you are a tax residents.
Deductions for maintenance etc are for real gains tax.

Interest gain from banks for deposits are not taxed

Helpful tax guides.
http://www.financesentral.com/2011/04/non-resident-individual-income-tax.html
http://www.iproperty.com.my/news/2411/A-MALAYSIAN-TAX-GUIDE-FOR-EXPATS-AND-NON-RESIDENTS

The official comprehensive guide:
http://www.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam/M2010_Guidebook_2.pdf

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your help, non residents have no deductions. Only deductions for income tax is if you are a tax residents.
Deductions for maintenance etc are for real gains tax.

Interest gain from banks for deposits are not taxed

Helpful tax guides.
http://www.financesentral.com/2011/04/non-resident-individual-income-tax.html
http://www.iproperty.com.my/news/2411/A-MALAYSIAN-TAX-GUIDE-FOR-EXPATS-AND-NON-RESIDENTS

The official comprehensive guide:

Hi, you mean fixed deposit interest not taxable and no need to pay tax for that?

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro

This whole thing amazed me, on the alternative ways to deal with things and in an effective way

Don't know how mine will work and if this method will work at all other tamans?

Dear all,

Diverting water from the mains to the rest of the house is actually illegal and some
neighbours may not be so happy. If you really did it, just keep it to yourself as your
neighbour may be unhappy and do it as well. Connecting direct for points (for occasional use)
like garden hoses, etc is one thing but for the whole house is bad.

As more and more people do this, the water pressure will just get progressively smaller.

Adding a pump on top for the water tank may drain water faster but its limited by the
water tank so any adverse effects are limited to a certain extent.

I think for bro Odyssey's place, it may be different as we definitely needed the pump for
the 2nd floor shower when we came here. It was just great that the Semi-D unit has it by
default but we had to install for some of the other units. Exactly because others diverted
water.

It will be ok in the very beginning but will get progressively worse as more and more people
move in.

As for the wall in between on the roof top, not every one that has the wall although parts
of the rafters or most of it are made of wood although the latest ones i saw should be metal.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah .... Thanks, bro, for pointing these potential issues. Wouldn't even had thought of that

Can I just check. I know u have provided some links of such pumps such as grundfos etc. how much do they cost, roughly? How about the durability? And if someone divert from main, how much would it cost for the labor? I'm just trying to understand if the cost is significant enough to encourage people to adopt a method over the other. Thanks

Dear all,

Diverting water from the mains to the rest of the house is actually illegal and some
neighbours may not be so happy. If you really did it, just keep it to yourself as your
neighbour may be unhappy and do it as well. Connecting direct for points (for occasional use)
like garden hoses, etc is one thing but for the whole house is bad.

As more and more people do this, the water pressure will just get progressively smaller.

Adding a pump on top for the water tank may drain water faster but its limited by the
water tank so any adverse effects are limited to a certain extent.

I think for bro Odyssey's place, it may be different as we definitely needed the pump for
the 2nd floor shower when we came here. It was just great that the Semi-D unit has it by
default but we had to install for some of the other units. Exactly because others diverted
water.

It will be ok in the very beginning but will get progressively worse as more and more people
move in.

As for the wall in between on the roof top, not every one that has the wall although parts
of the rafters or most of it are made of wood although the latest ones i saw should be metal.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bros and sisters, i am not all knowing so at times i may give out wrong information or too much information.

However, if its something i recommend, i normally only recommend when i have either experienced it myself
or went through the pitfalls. I have laid down on the concertina wire but it saddens me that folks still want
to lay down themselves.

Of course, as everyone else seems to know better, i did not say anything further after doing my best to share
it at least once or twice. Some things, sad to say, are only realised, the one Eureka moment only when one
finally realises the rationale. Maybe its my fault as well for not pushing hard enough but at least i really tried.

A bro, i told him not to buy a certain government linked development, recently then did i know he was one of
those who is taking action against the developer he bought from for very serious defects.

Now he is considering to sell and buy other developments instead.

Recently one friend did renovation his own way, i was very direct and told him the shortcomings. He didn't
call us again or invite us to his place but from someone staying next to him tells us he can only bear with it
now. His garden floods every time there is a storm and rain water pelts into his house as his awning was too
short and the drainage was physically too high up to be effective.

If a pro bono taxi driver has already brought you all the way to your estate, why do you think he cannot drive
you the short distance to your carpark?

If you doubt someone, do not use them, if you use them, do not doubt them.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Ah .... Thanks, bro, for pointing these potential issues. Wouldn't even had thought of that

Can I just check. I know u have provided some links of such pumps such as grundfos etc. how much do they cost, roughly? How about the durability? And if someone divert from main, how much would it cost for the labor? I'm just trying to understand if the cost is significant enough to encourage people to adopt a method over the other. Thanks

Again, i may not be 100% correct as it may differ. Some places will definitely have better water pressue due to lay of the land, how things were constructed and whether the area is still empty, etc. About 900-2k, all in. So far, 2 of my units has this and never any issues.

The diverting one is definitely much much lesser in terms of costs and is just a couple of hundred if at all. Overall though, this will become an arms race and will lead to everyone doing the same thing as those who did not divert will only see their water pressure progressively get smaller. Those who have stayed before in Perling or older Tamans will know what i am talking about. I always like to listen to old folks who have a lot of wisdom that sometimes the younger generation neglect to listen.

Most of what limited knowledge i have stemmed from listening to them and sifting out for myself the useful and the bad.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I feel like u take up too much responsibilities at time, and some times it's not needed.

U have given your advice and that's the best one could do, unless u have direct influence on one's circumstances. Imagine if things had gone the other way, fingers would be pointing at u instead. What would u do then? Compensate them or buy over their house that u recommended? I certainly wouldn't hope u would even think of doing that ...

U have a good heart and as much as u wanna help to see your friends' well beings, I think u also need to know how NOT to hold up the responsibilities/blames/guilts.

Just moments earlier, u also blamed yourself on the organization of threads which infuriated me because I did not think you should had owned that up

We all know how much u will stand up for a person and to what extend u would ever be willing to help, but the wise man would always say ... Help within your means. We all do appreciate u, and if someone has second opinion and wants to do things their way, it's perfectly fine because u r not a dictator and u shouldn't push hard enough until some decide to stay away

Help only those willing to be helped, and wishes those wanted to be blessed. Please relax and feel better yah ... :smile:

Bros and sisters, i am not all knowing so at times i may give out wrong information or too much information.

However, if its something i recommend, i normally only recommend when i have either experienced it myself
or went through the pitfalls. I have laid down on the concertina wire but it saddens me that folks still want
to lay down themselves.

Of course, as everyone else seems to know better, i did not say anything further after doing my best to share
it at least once or twice. Some things, sad to say, are only realised, the one Eureka moment only when one
finally realises the rationale. Maybe its my fault as well for not pushing hard enough but at least i really tried.

A bro, i told him not to buy a certain government linked development, recently then did i know he was one of
those who is taking action against the developer he bought from for very serious defects.

Now he is considering to sell and buy other developments instead.

Recently one friend did renovation his own way, i was very direct and told him the shortcomings. He didn't
call us again or invite us to his place but from someone staying next to him tells us he can only bear with it
now. His garden floods every time there is a storm and rain water pelts into his house as his awning was too
short and the drainage was physically too high up to be effective.

If a pro bono taxi driver has already brought you all the way to your estate, why do you think he cannot drive
you the short distance to your carpark?

If you doubt someone, do not use them, if you use them, do not doubt them.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The other thing to look out for when diverting is that poorly done diversion will result in water seepage and potential damage to the roof.
Of course this may not happen at all and everything will be good, until the neighbours do it as well and then no pressure for everybody
especially if more than a few come home in the evening at once and then a few bathe/wash dishes/clothes at the same time.

Just like internet, certain hours of the day when there is heavy usage, the average user experience with internet becomes slow especially
if everyone is using up the resources at once.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks bro DOA, i agree. I am too blunt at times and really just want to help.

Some actually complained to me when things went wrong with the very things they
chose to do or worse, go to my family to complain.

No matter what one do, it will never be perfect so i understand that. I probably should
have made a sticky out of it earlier for taxation but then i wasn't the moderator back
then and multiple threads without a folder would have been worse.

Its pretty discouraging sometimes but someone has to do it.

Again, thanks to everyone who has been helping out.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I will move some of the posts regarding taxes to the new taxation thread.
Again to clarify, the renovation, etc is more for the real gains tax.
FYI on taxation regarding rents, etc.

Rents and Rents – These are income from rental / leasing of immovable HK-4 -
premiums properties such as landed properties (land, buildings,
etc.) situated in Malaysia and other similar assets.

Allowable expenses are deductible against the gross
rental income from the property (source). Where the
property does not generate any income, such expenses
are disallowed. Rental income from each source is
computed separately. Only the sum of net income from
all rental sources is taken into account in the tax
computation.

Examples of allowable expenditure:
Interest charged on loan taken to acquire the property
(source), quit rent, assessment, fire insurance premium,
renewal of the rental / lease agreement, repairs and
maintenance, management fee, service charges and
sinking fund for the apartment/condominium, rental
collection fee (restricted to 5% of the total gross rental
for the year from that source), estate agent’s commission
for finding tenants to ensure that the property continues
to be let out.

Examples of non-allowable expenditure:
Capital repayment of the loan taken to acquire the property,
renovations and improvements to the property, estate
agent’s commission for finding the very first tenant /
lessee for that property and the cost of preparation of
the rental agreement with that tenant.
Amount from item D of Working Sheet HK-4.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi ginfreely,

http://www.chartered-accountants.com.my/resources_assessment.pdf

So just to confirm its up to 100k but with the deposit insurance covering up to 60k only, best to
keep up to 60k in each bank unless you intend to go for MM2H.

9. Interests
An individual resident in Malaysia is exempt from tax in respect of the interest received from the
following savings or investments:-

i. Interest that accrues in respect of any savings deposited with Bank Simpanan Nasional (BSN).

ii. Interest or bonus which accrues in respect of money deposited with Bank Simpanan Nasional
under the "Save as You Earn" scheme.

iii. Interest which accrues on savings deposits of up to RM100,000 with a registered cooperative
society, Bank Pertanian Malaysia, Malaysia Building Society Berhad, Borneo Housing Mortgage
Finance Bhd. Or with any other institution approved by the Minister of Finance.

iv. Bonus which accrues in respect of money deposits in any savings account with Lembaga
Tabung Haji.

v. Interest which accrues on savings deposits of up to RM100,000 with a bank or finance
company licensed under the Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989 (BAFIA 1989).

vi. Interest which accrues in respect of any fixed deposits account (including negotiable
certificates of deposits) of up to RM100,000 for a period not exceeding twelve months withBank
Pertanian Malaysia, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia Bhg., Bank Simpanan Nasional, Borneo
Housing Mortgage Finance Bhd., Malaysia Building Society Bhd., or a Bank of finance company
licensed under BAFIA 1989.

vii. Interest which accrues in respect of any fixed deposit account (including negotiable
certificates of deposits) for a period exceeding twelve months with Bank Pertanian Malaysia,
Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia Bhd., Bank Simpanan Nasional, Borneo Housing Mortgage
Finance Bhd., Malaysia Building Society Bhd., or a bank or finance company licensed under
BAFIA 1989.

viii. Gains or profits which accrues on deposits of up to RM100,000 in respect of money deposited
in any savings account under the interest-Free Banking Scheme (IFBS) with a bank or finance
company licensed under BAFIA 1989 or the Islamic Banking Act 1983, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat
and Bank Simpanan Nasional.

ix. Gains or profits which accrues in respects of money deposited in any investment account of up
to RM100,000 for a period not exceeding twelve months with a bank or finance company licensed
under BAFIA 1989 or the Islamic Banking Act 1983, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat and Bank Simpanan
Nasional.

x. Gains or profits which accrues in respect of money deposited in any investment account for a
period of twelve month of more under the interest Free Banking Scheme with a bank or finance
company licensed under BAFIA 1989 or the Islamic Banking Act 1983.

xi. Gains or profits which accrues in respect of money deposits in any investment account under
the interest Free Banking Scheme of up to RM100,000 for a period of twelve months or more with
Bank Kerjasama Rakyat and Bank Simpanan Nasional.

xii. Interest from securities or bonds issued or guaranteed by the Malaysian Government.

xiii. Interest from debenture (other than convertible loan stock) approved by the Securities
Commission.

xiv. Interest earned from Bon Simpanan Malaysia issued by the Bank Negara Malaysia.

xv. Interest earned from the Merdeka Bonds issued by the Bank Negara Malaysia (effective year
of assessment 2004).

xvi. Interest earned from a unit trust which is derived from Malaysia and paid or credited by any
bank or financial institution licensed under the Banking and Financial Institution Act 1989 (BAFIA
1989) or the Islamic Banking Act 1983.

Status
Not open for further replies.