• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Singaporeans must not take peace here for granted

White Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Why Singaporeans must not take peace here for granted[/h]
20110812.091844_myp_sg.jpg

subtitle_bg_line.gif

subtitle_arrow.gif
share_word.gif

<form action="http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/emailToFriend.jsp" method="POST" name="emailToFriendForm" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: baseline; "> </form>

<iframe src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html#_=1313126290076&count=vertical&id=twitter_tweet_button_0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.asiaone.com%2FNews%2FAsiaOne%252BNews%2FSingapore%2FStory%2FA1Story20110812-294055.html&text=Why%20Singaporeans%20must%20not%20take%20peace%20here%20for%20granted&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.asiaone.com%2FNews%2FAsiaOne%25252BNews%2FSingapore%2FStory%2FA1Story20110812-294055.html" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-vertical" title="Twitter For Websites: Tweet Button" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 14px; vertical-align: baseline; width: 55px; height: 62px; "></iframe>
<b:if cond="data:blog.pageType != &quot;static_page&quot;">Share
</b:if>

my paper
Friday, Aug 12, 2011

By Angeline Eng Radley
20110812.094041_01.jpg

I NEVER expected the riots here to come so close to home. Richard (my British husband) and I, with our two young sons, recently moved to - what you would consider - an affluent part of London.
Nestled in a small green conservation area, it is a little oasis in the grey and grimy capital.
However, like many parts of London, it is also "rough" in bits - rich and poor live side by side, a legacy of the United Kingdom's social housing policy. Our home is in Lewisham Borough, where, on Monday night, rioters burnt cars and bins on the high street.
My children and I walked to this very same street just last week, where I went to the bank and post office, and bought some fruit from the vendor at the street market.
We had heard of the trouble in Tottenham last Saturday night but didn't think much of it. Having lived through something on the scale of Sept 11 and then 7/7 in London, a couple of protesters reacting to the police shooting of an alleged gang member just didn't quite register highly on the alarm scale. How wrong I was.
On Monday night, I turned on the news just after dinner and that was when a mild panic set in - was that really Lewisham High Street where there are cars on fire? It was surreal, seeing a place I had been only a few days before, all empty except for the riot police.
I called my husband at work immediately, ordered him home and told him to avoid Lewisham at all costs. Then came more reports of looting and fires all over London. A tight knot sat in my stomach till my husband walked in an hour and a half later. All we did that night was sit glued to the TV.
The next day, we tried to carry on as normal, but noticed shops were closed, and people were even boarding up their shops in anticipation of more trouble that night. We went to our local park, which was eerily quiet for a beautiful summer afternoon in London.
We continued to the library - closed too. We went to the local supermarket, and it was closing. There was a definite sense of unease in the air.
As we put the kids to bed, the sound of choppers going and coming in the darkening sky was very audible. This, and the sound of sirens, became oursoundtrack for the night. Then came the news that Eltham (an area not far from us) was full of vigilantes out to protect their high street.
These are notorious football fans and rumours of a racist element, with English Defence League involvement, started circulating on Twitter. The last thing we needed now was a race war.
It was a tense night as rumours of a march from Eltham to Lewisham organised by a group with a race agenda kept circulating all night. It didn't happen but, if it did, the route would have taken them less than a five minutes' walk to our doorstep.
Amid all the tension, it was heartening to hear stories of Londoners uniting to make a stand against the rioters - Turkish shopkeepers in Dalston protecting their businesses; Sikh men, young and old, standing tall outside their temples in Southall; men patrolling the streets late into the night in Enfield and clean-ups organised by local people.
I know how these people feel; if looters had turned up at my doorstep, I would have defended my home to the very end.
But, mostly, I am angry. That these kids-turned-looters have destroyed many innocent people's lives. Lives and livelihoods were lost, for no reason other than greed.
I am sure that the repercussions of the 2011 riots will be felt for a long time, and it may turn out to be the wake-up call Britain needs.
As a Londoner, I know London will get back on her feet. There is no question; it is not one of the world's greatest cities for nothing. It has survived worse.
As a Singaporean, how does all this make me feel? I've always defended Singapore's conservative politics. And I watched the recent Singapore election with interest. It makes me feel heartened that my generation of Singaporeans has taken a real interest in politics.
However, there is a tinge of worry there too - our generation is largely untouched by political and social unrest. It is easy to demand more freedom, but, in the last few days, we have seen what happens when a government is too liberal and parents lose their authority. And it will take years to rebuild society in the aftermath.

talkincock

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Civil servant like you should not steal time off from work to surf sammyboy unless you are .................... :biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
why are you telling people how to think?

Oh .. your msg is for sinkies.. ok..

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS does not realise that it may just happen here too due to the pent up resentment and unemployment cause by massive influx of aliens.

If she does not want that to happen, she should know better and call for multi party politics which can debate the issues openly.

We are exactly like the UK 15 years ago in the immigration policy timeline. We can avert from that happening here, if only the MIW did what they must do.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
pap shouldn't take their domination for granted

i ve changed the title appropriately. if pap continues to behave like hooligans and nobody's business, next GE shall see more losses.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: pap shouldn't take their domination for granted

Its the PAP who are taking our patience for granted..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: pap shouldn't take their domination for granted

it's obvious that sinkandpour's major security threat is not from outside but from inside. adding insult to injury, the great irony is that it is self inflicted as a result of the ftrash policy. so many potential rioters and looters imported in so little time. the once great firewall of sinkieland is penetrated and it is thru' open unprotected ports with no effective acl enforced.