• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTUC president: Dr Tan "fits the bill" of what NTUC wants in a president

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are mindful of their choice but why have they not decided whether to endorse or not to endorse him yet? Are they afraid their endorsement may sabo their preferred EP candidate instead? :confused:

Singapore in uncharted territory, says Tony Tan

Wednesday, Aug 03, 2011
By Victoria Barker

johnde.desmondwee.jpg

Singaporeans must be aware of global economic issues and how they may affect the country, presidential hopeful Tony Tan said yesterday.

Citing the current United States debt crisis as an example, Dr Tan, 71, asked whether uncertainties on a global level would "overwhelm" Singaporeans.

"We are in uncharted territory here. What does it mean for the jobs? How can (workers) keep themselves relevant?...Will prices continue to rise?" he said.

"I see major difficulties that lie ahead of Singapore."

Making sure that workers "have the skills in order to raise their productivity if costs rise", is crucial, he added.

Dr Tan was speaking to reporters at the NTUC Centre in Marina Boulevard, after an hour-long closed-door dialogue session in which he fielded questions from union leaders.

The dialogue, organised by the Ong Teng Cheong Labour Leadership Institute, aims to engage key personalities on issues affecting the workforce.

The former deputy prime minister - one of five potential candidates vying to contest the upcoming presidential election - described union workers as the "heart" of Singapore's economy.

Explaining his role at the dialogue, Dr Tan said that many of the union leaders are understandably "very worried" about the implications of such a crisis.

"So I wanted to discuss with them all of these issues, give them a better understanding of what is happening, what could happen, and see how we could all work together in order to help them overcome some of these difficulties."

Asked if the labour movement would be endorsing Dr Tan in his presidential bid, Mr John De Payva, president of the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC), said that it has not formally decided to do so.

"We are mindful of who we think should be president but we have not decided whether to endorse. We may, we may not," he said, adding that a formal decision would come only after discussions with NTUC's Central Committee and its union leaders.

However, Mr De Payva said that Dr Tan "fits the bill" of what NTUC wants in a president: someone with stature, exposure and an understanding of the fundamentals of the role of the president.

Dr Tan - who has had links to the labour movement since 1979, when he became chairman of NTUC's Investment Committee - was invited to the dialogue at the request of union leaders.

NTUC says no decision yet to back any presidential candidate
By Hoe Yeen Nie | Posted: 02 August 2011 2141 hrs

php0iarHY.jpg

SINGAPORE: The National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) said it has not yet decided which of the potential candidates for the Presidential Election it will support.

In the past, the labour movement had openly supported President S R Nathan and his predecessor Mr Ong Teng Cheong when they stood for election, because both men came from within the union ranks.

Mr Ong was a former secretary-general of the NTUC, while Mr Nathan led its first labour research unit.

On Tuesday, 500 union representatives held a closed door dialogue with presidential hopeful and former Deputy Prime Minister Tony Tan, who was never part of the union.

The closed door dialogue covered topics such as the economy and Dr Tan's working style if elected as President.

With the Presidential Election expected in the next few weeks, the timing of this event raises questions as to whether Dr Tan has the support of the unions.

But NTUC remained non-committal. It said it invited Dr Tan because it had never invited him before, and its members were curious to know more about the man.

NTUC said it may also invite the other potential candidates for a dialogue, if union leaders request for it.

NTUC president John De Payva said: "We want a person who has got that kind of stature and that kind of exposure, who understands the fundamental role of the President."

While Mr De Payva believes that Dr Tan fits the bill, he added: "We are mindful of who we think should be President, but the decision is not, we have not decided whether to endorse or not to endorse."

As for Dr Tan, he said that as a presidential candidate, he will be very happy if anybody or any organisation wants to endorse him.

For now, it seems at least one union leader has decided to endorse Dr Tan for the Presidential Election.

G E Diran, vice-president of Sembawang Shipyard Employees' Union, said: "My union totally supports Dr Tony Tan for his presidency bid. What we'll do is we'll encourage our members, staff and their families, during the election itself, to support Dr Tony Tan."

Other union leaders said they would like dialogues with other potential candidates so that they can be assessed.

Dr Tan is one of five people who have expressed interest in running for President.

The other four are former NTUC Income chief Tan Kin Lian, former MP Tan Cheng Bock, former Singapore Democratic Party member, Tan Jee Say, and businessman Andrew Kuan.

- CNA/fa

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This John fella is talking cock lah. Like he can command his members to vote en-bloc.
He is like those bankers you meet around town - everyone swears by the PAP but vote oppostion in the election booth.
The NTUC members are no different. Especially when NTUC has done bugger-all to help their cause - wasting their yearly membership fees.

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an ordinary citizen, I don't think the government is taking too serious about our opinion on how the country should be run. After all, rightly or wrongly, many of us assume that our elected MPs especially from any ruling party of the day are the 'white horses' and they know best how the country should be run or how we as citizens should behaviour. Thankfully (but also regrettably), the first and to some extent the second generation MPs had proven their worth. We have come to where we are not by chance but by dedicated men and women of the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s (and perhaps 1980s) whose main objectives were to build a wholesome, healthy, hardworking and disciplined Singapore. They included people like LKY, Toh CC, Goh KS, Lim KS, Hon S S, S. Raja, Ong PB (plus several others). With the exception of very few, the names of most of them are seldom heard. Youth of today don't even know who Toh CC, Ong PB let alone some of the unsung heroes like Lim CS, Chia TP, Lim HS. I can be very sure that that today's youth who are reading this thread must be wondering "What on earth you are taliking! Who were these people? We have never heard!" They are absolutely right! I don't think you can find the names of those unsung heroes in the school history books of Singapore written by Singaporean historians.

In today's Straits Times, an article title: NTUC hasn't decided who to back, and I am really amused by a comment made by the most senior NTUC chief. He commented:

Instead, the key reason was that the labour movement had forgotten to invite Dr Tan to the NTUC Centre since it became operational in 2004.

The article, as I believe you all know is about the current talk-about subject of the Elected Presidency.

I don't how Dr. TT, our President-hopeful, felt but personally if I were to be Dr. TT. I would feel very insulted. For all the contributions to the country and to the labout movement, he has been forgotten for so many years, since 2004. It is interesting to note that only (I am only assuming and I may be wrong) that when his name (i.e. Dr. TT) has come out as one of the potential candidates for the EP, NTUC could now well remember him and started telling us all the great and good things Dr. TT has done for the labour movement. Another point is that if a man of that high stature and capability can so easily be forgotten, I don't thnk an average worker of Singapore can really be so loved by the union. Perhaps, the NTUC could enlighten us on this why Dr. TT has been forgotten to be invited to the beloved home of union center, the NTUC center, since 2004.

In closing, I want to tell Dr. TT, all the best to you and hope you can be the one to open the next Singapore parliament. With you as Presidnet of Singapore, your name will be remembered forever and NTUC will have no excuse not to remember you.

Last edited:

kepala butoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Tony "fits the bill" so well, why did the "dialogue" session have to be closed door?

If Tony was forgotten about since 2004, how can they suddenly remember what a good chap he is?

NTUC said it may also invite the other potential candidates for a dialogue, if union leaders request for it.

Wow! Out of the blue, union leaders suddenly rang up Johnny to get Tony to appear before them? Amazing! What a great request. Has anyone on this board ever spoken to a union leader - are they that conscientious and resourceful?

If they are so wonderful, why haven't they asked their ex-sec gen, Lim Chee Onn then to stand for Presi?

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF? NTUC thinks TT fits the bill but stops short of endorsing him? WTF is that? Wayang!

Anyway, WTF cares who NTUC fits the bill or endorses. F NTUC, they should stay out of politics and elections.