• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

D

Didier Drogba

Whilst fans of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal will eventually have their own dedicated threads, this thread will cater to general news and updates of the BPL. Contrary to what you may think, i am no blues fan so blues fans you can start your own thread. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Didier Drogba

129265343ce64f525d414968d45fa3c1b4214673.jpg

D

Didier Drogba

Premier League could have goalline technology by 2012

11:57 BST, Wed 20 Jul 2011

LONDON, July 20 (Reuters) - The Premier League could be the first in the world to introduce goalline technology from the start of the 2012-13 season, according to its chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Although its introduction would need to be sanctioned by FIFA, world soccer's governing body, Scudamore told MPs on Wednesday the system could be in place in just over a year's time.

Writing in the Premier League's review of the season, which was distributed to MPs on Wednesday, Scudamore said he wanted to use the Premier League's position to increase standards on and off the pitch.

"The whole point of the game is about scoring goals. Players strain every sinew to either create or deny them, fans shout themselves hoarse exhorting their teams to score them, managers' and players' careers can be defined by them," Scudamore wrote.

"The technology is available, it is the fairness that is important and the Premier League would introduce it tomorrow if it could. Now FIFA is constructively engaged we are hopeful the 2012-13 season is a realistic aim."

Although FIFA president Sepp Blatter has been a long-time opponent of goalline technology, he agreed to re-open trials after last year's World Cup when a legal goal scored by Frank Lampard for England against Germany, when the ball was clearly over the line, was not given.

The International Football Association Board, the game's law-making body, is continuing with private trials of goalline technology and is due to report back next March.

Scudamore sent the review to parliamentarians before the publication of a report into football governance following an inquiry by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).

The report's findings are due to be published later this month.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't wait for next month's new EPL season!

3 more weeks to go... Weekend nites are never the same without 6 can of beer, chips, nuts and FOOTBALL on the telly...

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1st= Man Utd
2nd=Chelsea
3rd= Lpool
4th= Man City

Relegated= QPR, Swansea, Norwich City,

FA Cup= Liverpool

League Cup = Spurs

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This season i am going to improve on my
fantasy football manager.
It will be my 3rd time.
Last season i stood just below 10,000 in Singapore's rating
vast improvement as my score always above the average score.

D

Didier Drogba

Denilson leaves Arsenal for season-long loan at Sao Paulo

15:36 BST, Wed 20 Jul 2011

fs_2011-01-12T211513Z_01_DST03_RTRIDSP_2_SOCCER-ENGLAND-CUP.jpg

LONDON, July 20 (Reuters) - Arsenal's Brazilian midfielder Denilson has re-joined his former club Sao Paulo on a season-long loan, the Premier League side said on Wednesday.

Manager Arsene Wenger said at the weekend that the 23-year-old would be returning to Brazil for the 2011-12 season, and the club confirmed his destination on their website (www.arsenal.com).

Denilson, who made his first-team debut for Arsenal in October 2006 in a League Cup match against West Bromwich Albion, made 153 appearances for the London side and scored 10 goals.

After establishing himself as a regular in the 2008-09 season, he struggled for a regular start last season.

Denilson, who is from Sao Paulo, played 13 times for the Brazilian club in 2005-06 before his move to London in a 3.4 million pounds ($5.49 million) transfer.

D

Didier Drogba

Manchester City striker Jo joins Internacional

18:14 BST, Wed 20 Jul 2011

fs_2010-12-16T194855Z_01_TRN112_RTRIDSP_2_SOCCER-EUROPA.jpg

LONDON, July 20 (Reuters) - Manchester City's Brazilian striker Jo has joined Internacional, the Premier League club said on Wednesday.

The 24-year-old, who moved to City in 2008 for a then-club record fee of 18 million pounds ($29 million) from CSKA Moscow,

returns to Brazil having failed to make an impact at Eastlands.

"Jo has left Manchester City for Brazilian club Internacional," City said in a statement on their website (www.mcfc.co.uk).

Jo, who has played three times for brazil, scored six goals in 41 games in his three years at the club that included loan

spells at Premier League Everton and Turkish side Galatasaray.

Jo's move to Internacional comes a day after another Brazilian side Corinthians pulled out of a deal to sign City striker Carlos Tevez.

The Argentina forward had been expected to complete a move after City manager Roberto Mancini said on Monday that a deal had been struck between the two clubs.

Corinthians said they had run out of time to sign Tevez before the transfer window closes at 2100 GMT on Wednesday.

D

Didier Drogba

Thursday 21st July 2011

636210_33_preview.jpg

Ferguson issues De Gea warning

Sir Alex Ferguson has warned big-money summer signing David De Gea he isn't guaranteed to be Manchester United's first-choice goalkeeper.

The Spaniard joined United from Atletico Madrid after playing for Spain at the European Under-21 Championship and was expected to fill the void left by Edwin van der Sar's retirement at the end of last season.

But with January arrival Anders Lindegaard and youngster Ben Amos making a serious of excellent stops in United's 7-0 pre-season romp against Seattle Sounders, they proved they will provide De Gea with plenty of competition.

Ferguson said: "Obviously we have signed David de Gea as the main choice I would imagine.

"But Anders Lindegaard and Ben Amos have probably said to themselves they have an opportunity with Van der Sar retiring.

"It is an open door for me. "De Gea will play on Saturday against Chicago but they will all get their fair share of games and the decision on who starts the season will depend on how De Gea settles."

While both goalkeepers used caught the eye, striker Wayne Rooney was the undoubted star of the show against Seattle.

Introduced as a second-half substitute, the England international wasted no time in making his mark, finding the net three times within the space of 21 minutes to signal his well-being ahead of the new campaign.

"It is nice he scored," said Ferguson. "We are pleased for all the goalscorers but three goals is a nice start for him. "He has worked hard. He has done really well in training."

Michael Owen, Mame Biram Diouf, Park Ji-sung and Gabriel Obertan also found the net and Ferguson wants to see a similar spread of firepower across the season as a whole. "Last year we depended on three players for our goals, so that was good," he said.

Although De Gea's fellow new-boy Ashley Young has not managed to score any of United's impressive two-game haul of 11, the former Aston Villa man has settled in well and already looks as though he will make a positive contribution to United's quest for honours.

"I am just delighted to be here and get myself on the pitch," he said. "No disrespect for the Villa boys but as soon as I heard of Manchester United's interest, I just wanted to get the deal done and start training.

"I can play left, right, off the front striker or as a main striker, so I just have to concentrate on my own game and wherever I am picked, do myself justice.

"The manager bought me for a reason, to get assists and goals and work hard for the team. If I can do that every time I am selected, my job is done."

It is the first time Young has been exposed to the sheer size of the club he has now joined. And while the reception United have received does not compare to an Asian tour, the sight of fans maintaining a constant presence outside the team hotel is novel.

"This is fantastic for me," he said. "You come to the United States and see the number of fans outside the hotel every day. "It is crazy and just shows how big the club is. "For me to be part of that is fantastic."

D

Didier Drogba

Thursday 21st July 2011

644562_33_preview.jpg

Jones: I'll fight to start for United

Manchester United defender Phil Jones insists he will work hard to earn a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's starting line-up.

The 19-year-old became the English champions' first summer signing after making his switch from Blackburn last month.

Ferguson has revealed he intends to make the towering centre-back his regular choice at Old Trafford next season.

But Jones is not ready to rest on his laurels as he revealed how well he has settled in at the club.

"I'm training and playing with top-class players day in and day out," he told MUTV.

"I know there's competition for places. It's up for grabs in every position and it's only healthy for the squad.

"I've got to keep training hard, working my way up. Eventually, I'll get my chance and I'll take it."

The England U-21 star is currently with United on their pre-season tour of America and he has admitted the reality of being a Red Devil has just sunk in.

"It's just sunk in," he said. "It took a while to sink in but I'm delighted to be here. It's a massive club, the best club in the world possibly and I'm just happy to be here.

"I was away on holiday with my girlfriend when I got a phone call from the boss saying he was interested and keen and stuff and things progressed from there so here I am now.

"It was an unbelievable feeling when I picked the phone up and he says in his Scottish voice: 'It's Sir Alex'. It's what anyone dreams of, for that phone call to happen and I'm just delighted.

"The lads are quality. I'm just about settling in now and enjoying it. I think the lads have been brilliant and have made me feel very welcome so I feel really settled."

At a tender age of 19, Jones has credited his family for keeping him grounded amongst the distractions in football.

"I still live with my family, I'm still 19 and it's happened at quite a young age but I'm just enjoying it.

"They [the family] keep me grounded and make sure I stay focused on my football.

"Obviously, I'm looking for a house at the moment in Manchester so I need to get a house as well at 19. It's crazy but I suppose that's football!"

United kick-off their 2011/12 Barclays Premier League season away to West Bromwich Albion on 14 August.

D

Didier Drogba

Thursday 21st July 2011

644550_33_preview.jpg

Riise: I thought of rejoining Liverpool

Left-back John Arne Riise claims he considered rejoining Liverpool before deciding to sign up with Fulham instead.

The Norwegian made his return to the Barclays Premier League after completing his move to the Cottage last week.

Riise, who spent seven seasons at Anfield and won the Champions League with the Reds in 2005, was one of the fan favourites due to his lung-bursting runs and ferocious shots from his left-foot.

And the 30-year-old insists there were sections of Liverpool fans who wanted him back.

"I've heard people say they haven't really replaced me but that is not my concern," he was quoted as saying in The Sun newspaper.

"If they wanted me back they could have made an effort. I know a few of the fans wanted me back.

"I achieved a lot when I was at Liverpool and this is my type of football. "I needed a new challenge after that and improved as a player but it was always in my mind to come back."

Riise is set for his Fulham debut at Craven Cottage as Martin Jol's side defend a 3-1 lead in the Europa League second-round qualifier with Northern Irish side Crusaders.

D

Didier Drogba

Thursday 21st July 2011

636090_33_preview.jpg

Blackburn make move for Honda

Blackburn Rovers have made a move to sign CSKA Moscow and Japan midfielder Keisuke Honda.

The 25-year-old has caught the eye of several top European clubs following his impressive performances for Japan in the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

Among the clubs linked with the midfielders are the likes of Manchester City and Liverpool.

But according to Spanish website fichajes.com, a surprise bid has came in from Blackburn, who are backed by Indian owners Venky's.

The Premier League club have reportedly tabled a bid of £7million for Honda and are hoping to secure his signature before the start of the new season.

Honda has allegedly indicated his desire to leave Russia, with England or Spain his preferred destinations.

Blackburn kick-off their Barclays Premier League season at home to Wolves on 13 August.

D

Didier Drogba

Friday 22nd July 2011

577001_33_preview.jpg

Tevez in contact with Inter Milan

After seeing the collapse of Carlos Tevez' proposed move to Corinthians, Inter Milan have emerged as the latest club to be linked with the Manchester City striker.

The want-away Argentinean looked set for a return to former club Corinthians but with the Brazilian transfer window looming, Corinthians dropped a bombshell by pulling out of the £40million deal.

Now according to The Guardian, the former Manchester United striker is not about to let the collapsed move to Corinthians deter him from leaving Eastlands.

On his holiday after the Copa America failure with Argentina, Tevez was reportedly seen with Inter Milan's head of technical staff Marco Branca, who is 'coincidently' staying at the same hotel as him in the resort of Porto Cervo in Sardinia.

Meanwhile, City manager Roberto Mancini has insisted the 27-year-old still has an important role at Eastlands, although there were clear signs things are not right between the pair.

When asked if he has spoken to his club captain (for now at least), the Italian tactician admitted: "No. His telephone doesn't work."

"At the moment, Carlos is still a City player - just like he was yesterday, and just like three days ago. In the future we will see what can happen. But he's still an important player for us right now.

"Carlos wants to leave, he wants to go back to Argentina, or another country, so he can be closer to his family. It's only for this that the club agreed to sell him."

Asked if he is ready to strip the captain's armband off Tevez and hand it to Vincent Kompany, Mancini remains coy on the issue.

"At the moment I don't have this problem but in the future we will see," he replied. "I don't think it's important; there are three or four players who can do this job for us."

City are believed to be pushing through with their proposed signing of Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero, who was supposed to replace Tevez at Eastlands.

And Mancini is confident Aguero will not be the only new face at Eastlands come the start of the new season.

"I'm here [in Los Angeles] but other people who work at the club are working on this," he added.

"The problem is that all the good clubs want these players. Signing new players is not easy and we need time but I hope before the Community Shield [on 7 August] we can add other players."

D

Didier Drogba

Friday 22nd July 2011

645071_33_preview.jpg

AVB: I'm not obsessed by Torres

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas insists Fernando Torres will not be an obsession to him next season.

The £50 million signing failed to impress in the Blues' unconvincing 1-0 win over a Malaysia selection side on Thursday at Kuala Lumpur.

Squandering two good chances - one straight at the keeper and the other hurriedly wide, Torres was at half-time replaced by Didier Drogba, who eventually contributed to the winning goal in the 78th minute thanks to a deflection from his free-kick. :biggrin:

Speaking after the match on the Spaniard's and his side's performance, Villas-Boas is not fazed by the constant criticism of the 27-year-old, whom he will not build the team around.

"I don't want to turn Torres into an obsession like you people are trying to do," the Portuguese coach said. "I am not going to waste time over this. I disagree that he is lacking in confidence.

"Every time a player doesn't score, I am asked questions about him. I agree that Torres is a £50m striker but my focus is purely on the performance of the team, not the individual.

"It doesn't matter who scores. These are pre-season games and they don't have the importance that some people think. "Every Chelsea player is competing to be successful and the best players in training will go into the team.

"The point of these games is to get a feel for your team and achieve your objectives in terms of fitness and training. "To gain the confidence to find the back of the net, Torres needs training, tolerance and patience.

"It doesn't look like he is getting this at the moment but we are ready to give our forwards this patience." Despite the unimpressive showing on Thursday, the former Porto boss chose to pick the positives out of the match.

The 33-year-old added: "We played too many sideways passes but, once again, we had a couple of good things from this game."There are many positives happening in training in terms of our possession and our movement without the ball."

Meanwhile, Drogba admitted the Blues were lucky to claim a victory against the Malaysians after seeing his deflected free-kick came back off a post and was ruled to have crossed the line after hitting sub keeper Mohamad Izham Tarmizi on the back.

"We were pretty lucky to win and I'm not even sure if my shot crossed the line."

D

Didier Drogba

Friday 22nd July 2011

641550_33_preview.jpg

Park offered new Man United deal

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung is considering a two-year contract offer.

The 30-year-old retired from international duty after last season's Asian Cup in an effort to prolong his club career.

And the reward is a contract extension Ferguson expects the South Korean to sign.

Meanwhile, Ferguson has confirmed new keeper David de Gea will start Saturday's friendly with Chicago Fire at Soldier Field. The 20-year-old was a late arrival on tour after a successful European Under-21 Championship campaign in Spain.

He has trained for three days now and Ferguson wants to see how he performs in a match environment, believing the £18million signing from Atletico Madrid may draw comparisons to Chelsea's Petr Cech.

"David de Gea will start on Saturday," said Ferguson. "He has had a few days' training now and has done fine. "Being young and coming into the English game, the one area we are not sure about is that he may need time.

"On the other hand, he might do what Petr Cech did at Chelsea and take it by storm. Cech came into the Chelsea team and has never been out of it. "David has similar qualities. He has terrific composure for a young man. He is quick. His use of the ball is excellent.

"There are good ingredients there. Hopefully that shows itself as we get into the season." United flew into Chicago fresh from their 7-0 thrashing of Seattle Sounders. However, they are going to encounter very different conditions now as temperatures topped 100 degrees Fahrenheit on their arrival.

No reduction is forecast and with the game set for a 4pm kick-off local time this weekend, Ferguson admits he will have to adopt special measures. "We have left a cool atmosphere in Seattle and arrived in a furnace," he joked.

"It is going to be a test. We prepare for things like this but we will probably reduce the length of our training sessions and make the appropriate changes. "I don't think it is forecast to get any cooler, so maybe I will watch the match in the hotel."

D

Didier Drogba

Friday 22nd July 2011

620147_33_preview.jpg

Mancini wants three new signings

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini believes he needs to sign three new players regardless of whether Carlos Tevez stays or goes.

The Italian insists the Argentinian remains an important player for the club even as he tries to secure a move away from Eastlands.

The 27-year-old saw his hopes of returning to South America to be closer to his wife and two daughters dashed when Brazilian side Corinthians pulled out of a £40million move, citing the impossibility of concluding the deal before the closure of their transfer window.

And, as he looks to turn City into a side capable of winning the Barclays Premier League, Mancini, who has been linked with a move for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero, still feels his side needs strengthening.

"I think it is really difficult to buy any players because all the good teams want these players," Mancini said on Sky Sports News. "But I hope that before the game against (Manchester) United (in the Community Shield on August 7) we can have all these players. "We have two, three targets but it depends.

"We need to improve because we are at the moment a few players (short) for competition and we need to have other players." For the time being at least, Mancini still has Tevez and the manager is adamant he is still welcome at the club.

"At the moment Carlos is still a City player, like yesterday, like three days ago," the Italian said. "In the future we will see what can happen. But for us Carlos is an important player. "Carlos wants to leave, wants to come back to Argentina or maybe another country for his family. It is only because of this I think that the club accept to sell Carlos, because I think that we respect his reasons."

Tevez, on holiday after Argentina were knocked out of the Copa America, is said not to be "overly worried" by the collapse of his move to Corinthians. Reports in Italy have suggested the striker has already met with Inter Milan sporting director Marco Branca and his representative Kia Joorabchian is confident new bids will come in for the striker.

"This is Carlos Tevez we are talking about, one of the best players in the world. We are not overly worried," Joorabchian told BBC Sport. "He wants to leave but is still a City player at the moment and we will of course respect that. "We've just got to wait and see who comes in next for him."

D

Didier Drogba

Sunday 24th July 2011

640868_33_preview.jpg

City close to Aguero signing

Manchester City is close to signing Atletico Madrid's Sergio Aguero to replace want-away striker Carlos Tevez.

According to reports in the Sun, the cash-rich Barclays Premier League side are set to splash out to the tune of £38 million in order to secure the services of Diego Maradona's son-in-law.

Mancini believes that the star striker will adapt quickly to the rigors of the game in England, saying: "Aguero is young and can start to score a lot. He will become a top striker. He is 23 and now is his time.

"He is like Carlos Tevez and could play with Carlos, or Edin Dzeko or Mario Balotelli. "He can play as first striker or second striker. He has good technique. After many years in a top club like Atletico Madrid he can play Premier League.

"Aguero is a good player, like Samir Nasri, like Cesc Fabregas, like Robin van Persie - there are a lot of good players in England."

The Italian also gave an insight towards whether Tevez would ultimately leave Manchester. He said: "Carlos is still a City player at the moment. He should fly back in August. Will he play for City again? Yes."