• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good letters from St Forum post GE

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scrap or let voters decide on GRC scheme

THE General Election results have shown up the GRC rationale in three ways.

First, Mr Michael Palmer's single-ward win in Punggol East over two opposition Chinese Singaporean candidates shows that a minority candidate can prevail. Singaporeans vote in candidates on merit and passion, not race.

Second, capable candidates are voted out in droves in a Group Representation Constituency system. Singapore lost not one, but two ministers.

Third, controversial candidates are voted into Parliament by riding on the popularity, capability and reputation of other team members.

In trying to get minority representation in Parliament, we risk not getting the best men and women to lead Singapore and this is not in the best interest of our future.

I hope the GRC system can be scrapped. If the Government still thinks Singaporeans will vote out minority candidates based on race, perhaps a better system would be to insist that all parties field a certain percentage of minority candidates for election, and a scheme similar to the Non-Constituency MP be reserved for minority candidates.

Finally, my kudos to all candidates in this GE. They contested like gentlemen and have lifted democracy here to a new level. I am now proud to say that we have a truly democratic government.

Koon Peng Bee

A better way to ensure minorities in Parliament

THE People's Action Party defends the Group Representation Constituency system as a means to ensure minority representation in Parliament. While I do not doubt its good intentions, there must be a better way.

One way is to require parties to field candidates according to the proportion of racial groups in the population.

If any minority race is not elected into Parliament, minority candidates who lose with the highest number of votes in each single ward could be invited into Parliament under the Non-Constituency MP (NCMP) scheme to "top-up" their representation according to the national proportion.

The NCMP scheme should then cater to top minority losers and not top opposition losers. Voters will also get to vote for their MP directly and not a team of MPs, where we may agree with half of the team, but not the other half, which causes a dilemma when casting our votes.

Trent Ng

Stop use of term 'opposition parties'

I HOPE we will stop using the term "opposition" when we refer to non-People's Action Party (PAP) political parties. I know it's convenient to use that label, but it creates a very adversarial climate.

We should begin this chapter of Singapore politics with the mindset of different parties working together in the interests of the nation. I am not sure what term would be appropriate, perhaps we could borrow from the accepted racial labels, and call the non-PAP parties "minority parties".

This may not be the best term going forward, but my point is that the term "opposition parties" creates a confrontational mindset, which does not bode well for honest and authentic collaboration and dialogue.

I extend my sympathies to Mr George Yeo over his defeat in Aljunied GRC. Many regret losing him as Foreign Minister.

Aljunied voters did not vote against him; they voted for the Workers' Party. It is an important distinction.

I was touched by Mr Yeo's remarks prior to Polling Day that the PAP needs to undertake deep reflection after the elections, and that he would champion the reform efforts within the party if voted in. He can still do so as he is well-respected within the PAP, and I am certain his opinions carry significant weight and influence among party members.

Lau Wah Yuen

Well done, Workers' Party

THOUGH I am not a resident of Aljunied GRC, I am very proud of the Workers' Party (WP) for making a breakthrough into a Group Representation Constituency (GRC).

It has not only marked a change in the political landscape of Singapore, but also provided an alternative voice for the people of Singapore in Parliament.

WP secretary-general Low Thia Khiang's bold move to leave his comfort zone to contest a GRC truly shows the party's hunger and desire to serve Singaporeans on a larger scale.

The WP Aljunied team has indeed risen to the occasion and the people have spoken with no regrets. Congratulations once again to WP.

Khoo Lih-Han

Fairer electoral format

THE results of the General Election have made a mockery of the GRC system and resulted in Singapore losing some of our best statesmen.

In a country where talented and committed people to serve the public sector are difficult to come by, this is a big loss to every Singaporean.

I hope the Government will reconsider the old Single Member Constituency system, as it's a fairer system that truly reflects the merits of candidates.

I believe candidates who have won the hearts of voters the hard way can lay claim to having the mandate from the people to represent them in Parliament.

Chia Han Ghee

No one is indispensable

I FELT uncomfortable reading about the guerilla marketing campaign for Foreign Minister George Yeo, with the slogan "In George We Trust" ("In George they trust"; last Thursday), and how he was considered indispensable because of all his years of service.

Singaporeans should accept and understand that nobody is indispensable. Have we given serious thought to the idea that if, due to natural circumstances, we lose a few of our top Cabinet Ministers, what happens then?

Yes, it will have an impact on all of us and even affect the economy, but that would not be for the long term. Singapore as a nation must strive to carry on, despite such a setback.

Aziz Tayabali Samiwalla

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
The weakest link in WP team in Aljunied is the minority candidate, compared to the PAP minority candidate. Well the residents of Aljunied have to live with their choice - or their guilt. They saw the forest, but did not see the trees.

S'poreans will keep an eye on the WP team and see whether they can live up to their promises to make Aljunied better run than PAP GRCs and one of the best GRCs to live in. They did not live up to that expectation in Hougang!

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The weakest link in WP team in Aljunied is the minority candidate, compared to the PAP minority candidate. Well the residents of Aljunied have to live with their choice - or their guilt. They saw the forest, but did not see the trees.

S'poreans will keep an eye on the WP team and see whether they can live up to their promises to make Aljunied better run than PAP GRCs and one of the best GRCs to live in. They did not live up to that expectation in Hougang!

Hi, if you are living in Aljunied GRC come and make that difference, i dare you to. We voted WP not because we voted against GY, we voted because we had enough of LHH and Cynthia Phua. GY is collateral damage, period

talkincock

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stephanie myo539 Chia !!! Working hard after GE ?? :eek::eek::eek::biggrin:

54677701.gif

Life has been good to me. I just need to ride the coattail of Woody.
And i get paid 15K a month while under-study Hehe..

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="225" height="149" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MV0hiDwcMmM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Re: Petition to remove Tin Pei Ling
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

Here is what our MP: Ms Tin Pei Ling wore during voting day. Beside her is her husband Ng How Yue (Principle private secretary to PM Lee hsien loong) ... now

u know how she becomes an MP ?

225306_10150235049050210_655880209_8760823_1152344_n.jpg

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stephanie myo539 Chia !!! Working hard after GE ?? :eek::eek::eek::biggrin:

54677701.gif

Life has been good to me. I just need to ride the coattail of Woody.
And i get paid 15K a month while under-study Hehe..

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="225" height="149" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MV0hiDwcMmM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Underneath are probably branded underwear