• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

new zealand

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
1. Slow, expensive capped internet

2. Slightly higher cost of living

3. Earthquakes

4. Some discrimination from time to time

etc etc

I don't know which ISP you're using but I'm getting 6Mpbs / 30 Gb for NZD75 per month (naked broadband) from Orcon. That's actual speed not the advertised rate.

The cost of living in NZ is lower than the cost of living in Singapore.

Earthquakes only happen along fault lines. Most of NZ is not at risk.

There's more discrimination in Singapore than there is in NZ.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we all know you, like 88% of people out there, won't qualify for migration.

But what are the pros of NZ?

1. Yes there is 33% tax, but the minimum wage is 13 bucks, which means that the minimum you take home is 8.50 in cash. That is higher than many jobs in Spore. And spore has CPF which is 35% of your wage as well, and not inclusive of taxes which can go up to 10+ %, and CPF really is the same as paying taxes.

2. You pay 33% taxes but healthcare is free. There is a social safety net with many benefits such as accomodation benefits, unemployment benefits that come up to 800 bucks a month, disability benefits etc etc. Your taxes also gives you an old age pension. Your 33% tax in NZ gets you 1 million times much more benefits than your 35% CPF in Spore.

3. NZ is less crowded. Spore is the most crowded country in the entire history of mankind and it is going to increase in time. In Spore, when you die, you don't even have a final resting space because there is not enough land.

4. Cars in NZ are very cheap. 5k can get you a second hand one. You can have as many cars as you want, the only issue is the parking space. And you can have caravans and drive them for holidays.

5. NZ has more freedom of speech and personal liberty and human rights.

snipped to prevent infraction

I disagree with the better uni though. But I believe the education system is much better and balanced. NZ uni is not exactly very reputable, its neighbour Australia is more well-known for that.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I disagree with the better uni though. But I believe the education system is much better and balanced. NZ uni is not exactly very reputable, its neighbour Australia is more well-known for that.

NZ has 3 Nobel Prize winners, OZ's 10 Nobel Prize winners are usually Medicine-research. Singapore has none. (even HK has one, in Physics)

Kiwis are less racist compared to Aussies.

At the end of the day, it is all about the quality of the migrants - do they have migrating skills ? Singaporeans have a big disadvantage when choosing to settle in another country.

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
NZ has 3 Nobel Prize winners, OZ's 10 Nobel Prize winners are usually Medicine-research. Singapore has none. (even HK has one, in Physics)

Kiwis are less racist compared to Aussies.

At the end of the day, it is all about the quality of the migrants - do they have migrating skills ? Singaporeans have a big disadvantage when choosing to settle in another country.

This I agree. Kiwis are more gentle-natured and less racist. Probably has to due with the fact that their ancestors are not convicts in the first place. But then again, there are a few good Aussies and I believe their resentment comes because of the well-known bad behavior of the Viets. Overall, New Zealand is a good place if you love nature and is willing to forgo some technological advancements.

Btw, I did not know NZ produced Nobel Prize winners. Surely this sure is a good slap to the face of our 'first-world' education which actually, is no different from the typical Chinese system of 'shi du' (translated literally as dead reading)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This I agree. Kiwis are more gentle-natured and less racist. Probably has to due with the fact that their ancestors are not convicts in the first place. But then again, there are a few good Aussies and I believe their resentment comes because of the well-known bad behavior of the Viets. Overall, New Zealand is a good place if you love nature and is willing to forgo some technological advancements.

... Surely this sure is a good slap to the face of our 'first-world' education which actually, is no different from the typical Chinese system of 'shi du' (translated literally as dead reading)

1. Many OZ settlers were convicts because of their beliefs in unionism and their inability to cope with the changes taking place in the UK them. That is why OZ nationhood's vision is one of achieving the perfect place to work. We still believe in the 8-8-8 (hours of work-leisure-rest) day.

2. Kiwis has to adapt in the past, made famous with their creativity with the Brit standard wire.

3. Oz has a bad start with the natives, Nz went off with a good start. It is not surprise that natives are dumber in Oz, because that is what you get if they are treated as fauna.

In the end, we can never compare Singapore with NZ point by point. Both countries have miles-wide differences. Eg What is defined as tax is one country may not be known by that in another country, such as the WTF Certificate of Entitlement .

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Many OZ settlers were convicts because of their beliefs in unionism and their inability to cope with the changes taking place in the UK them. That is why OZ nationhood's vision is one of achieving the perfect place to work. We still believe in the 8-8-8 (hours of work-leisure-rest) day.

2. Kiwis has to adapt in the past, made famous with their creativity with the Brit standard wire.

3. Oz has a bad start with the natives, Nz went off with a good start. It is not surprise that natives are dumber in Oz, because that is what you get if they are treated as fauna.

In the end, we can never compare Singapore with NZ point by point. Both countries have miles-wide differences. Eg What is defined as tax is one country may not be known by that in another country, such as the WTF Certificate of Entitlement .

1. I hope it can continue to maintain, but the amount of immigrants they keep bringing in might soon spoil it. Just like the perfect Singapore in the 90s is now spoiled by the vast amount of FTs with their arrogance.

2. This I am really not clear.

3. Kiwis had also fought with the maoris, but in the end, Heke (the maori chief), got betrayed and Brits were able to assert dominance. To their relief, maoris were less rebellious and adapting. NZ government appreciated it and treated the Maoris with respect.

Not to forget, NZ was the first nation to allow women to vote. Ultimately, different nation has different type of characteristics. Australians with their laid-back attitude, sometimes friendly and mostly crass. Kiwis with equally laid-back attitude and slightly friendlier to immigrants. Probably due to the fact that they have not witnessed a mass amount of migrants, might change soon as NZ wants more Singaporeans.

Singapore Govt is very shrewd, other form of taxes are not as labelled as 'taxes'. CPF and more. Not to mention, it is horrible to be old in Singapore. Government just cannot wait for you to leave or die so that you can stop taking from their 'pot'.

therockz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know which ISP you're using but I'm getting 6Mpbs / 30 Gb for NZD75 per month (naked broadband) from Orcon. That's actual speed not the advertised rate.

The cost of living in NZ is lower than the cost of living in Singapore.

Earthquakes only happen along fault lines. Most of NZ is not at risk.

There's more discrimination in Singapore than there is in NZ.

Hello Uncle Sam, you said it yourself that your internet is CAPPED at 30 GB per month. As far as I know, NZ has no uncapped internet. Once you use more than 30GB, your download speed drops to 64kpbs and it takes 2 mins just to load google. I think in Spore, with the fibre optic network, you can get unlimited 6mps for just 15 bucks a month.

As for earthquakes, NZ is not known as the Shaky Isle for nothing. The entire country lies on fault lines and even Auckland has earthquakes.

Discrimination...yeah I have to agree that Spore probably has tons more of it.

I judge an education system not by its ranking on some stupid website. In NZ, people go to school to LEARN and EXPLORE. In spore, ppl or should I say rats go to school to COMPETE and BACKSTAB.

Just interview any NUS fresh grad and you would realise many these clowns can't even tell you the basics of their field off offhand because they only memorise stuff to pass exams and forget everything. What is the point of going to uni then? I spoke to a management graduate who can't even tell me the 7Ps of marketing or what the Maslow hierarchy is. Spoke to accounting grads who can't even tell me off hand basic financial ratios such as P/E etc.

Uni and any education is about training you for a job and picking up a skill. In Spore, these clowns have made it into a meaningless rat race. That is why Spore can never produce world class researchers or Nobel prize winners.

The highest level of education (phd level) is about inventing new things, new researches and pushing the boundaries of your field. Sporean students view education as a backstabbing and examination contest. Sporean teachers are nasty, they view school as an army camp and screw their students up as much as possible. The entire education system is as screwed up as it can be.

If you love your child, don't send him to Sporean schools, the amount of needless competition, backstabbing and needless nazi like school rules will only mess up any sane person mentally.

1. I hope it can continue to maintain, but the amount of immigrants they keep bringing in might soon spoil it. Just like the perfect Singapore in the 90s is now spoiled by the vast amount of FTs with their arrogance.

Not to forget, NZ was the first nation to allow women to vote. Ultimately, different nation has different type of characteristics. Australians with their laid-back attitude, sometimes friendly and mostly crass. Kiwis with equally laid-back attitude and slightly friendlier to immigrants. Probably due to the fact that they have not witnessed a mass amount of migrants, might change soon as NZ wants more Singaporeans.

Singapore Govt is very shrewd, other form of taxes are not as labelled as 'taxes'. CPF and more. Not to mention, it is horrible to be old in Singapore. Government just cannot wait for you to leave or die so that you can stop taking from their 'pot'.

Yeah I fully agree. But NZ does not want more Sporean migrants, it is just a news that Sporeans spread to make themselves feel good. They want more UK migrants, which is why UK citizens have 24 mths working holiday visa. Sporeans get only 6mths while even the Chinese get 12 mths lol. They basically hand you a PR if you are from the UK and interested in NZ.

In any other country, they would have just called CPF a tax. But in Spore they call it CPF and have another 8-20 percent for tax, just to make you think you pay very little tax.

In NZ, you pay 33% tax, but you get free healthcare, 800 bucks each month if you can't find a job, 1-2k a month once you pass 50 years old and a lot of other benefits such as lone care giver, child care etc etc.

In Spore, you pay 35% CPF + 8+% income tax, you only get a variable monthly pension when you turn 50 years old. If your mthly income is little and you have little in your CPF, your monthly pension won't even be enough for you to live on. And you get MEDIFUND, which the government covers your healthcare costs if you are totally broke and need healthcare. But it is means tested and there are no written rules, meaning you are basically begging for it and you may not even get it. In NZ it is a standard 1-2k /mth once you turn 50 no matter how much your monthly income is.

Anyway, Spore is just a 20km rock in a very troubled region of the world. Msia or Indo cut off food, Spore starves. They invade, Spore dies. It is overcrowded, very vulnerable, a dictatorship, and they even cane your ass for just spray painting a wall lol.

Even Hong Kong is better than Spore. Yes HK is more crowded than Spore (bcus most of its land are hills which cannot be built up) but don't forget Hong Kongers are Chinese citizens and they can get a home return permit which allows them to work and live freely in China. HK citizenship may not be a very bad thing afterall since China is growing fast and being a HK citizen means u can invest in property and stocks in the mainland, which is very good investment.

Macao is small but Macanese are Portugese citizens and can always exercise their rights to live and work anywhere in the EU if they want to.

In Spore, you are just stuck in a concrete 20km hellhole FOR LIFE. No wonder Sporeans are so miserable, rude, aggressive, illiterate and disgusting. Most Sporeans will never be able to migrate because it is very hard to migrate these days. If it was easy, the entire India or Malaysia would be in NZ. Only 13% of Sporeans have a degree and I think only 5-10% of Sporeans overall qualify for migration.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Hello Uncle Sam, you said it yourself that your internet is CAPPED at 30 GB per month. As far as I know, NZ has no uncapped internet. Once you use more than 30GB, your download speed drops to 64kpbs and it takes 2 mins just to load google. I think in Spore, with the fibre optic network, you can get unlimited 6mps for just 15 bucks a month.

It's not capped and neither does it slow down. All I have to do is pay for the extra bandwidth

Extra Data

• Additional 5GB for $9/month
  • Additional 10GB for $15/month
  • Additional 25GB for $27/month
  • Additional 50GB for $55/month
  • Additional 100GB for $85/month
  • Additional 200GB for $165/month
  • Additional 300GB for $245/month

As for earthquakes, NZ is not known as the Shaky Isle for nothing. The entire country lies on fault lines and even Auckland has earthquakes.
The risk of earthquakes in Auckland is very low and even if one does occur, the majority of houses and buildings are designed to withstand all but the big ones.

However, the death toll in Singapore would be horrendous as none the high rise buildings there is built to any sort of earthquake code. Singapore is far from immune....

http://www.asiansecurity.org/articles/2008/nov/06/earthquakes-asia-whole-lotta-shakin/

In fact, Singapore’s NTU has two government-sponsored earthquake studies in progress right now. The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) is co-funding one study to assess the impact of natural catastrophes on the financial sector, and the Building & Construction Authority (BCA) is funding an earthquake vulnerability study as part of its “review (of) building codes and regulations after several major earthquakes in the region.”
“What is certain is that our buildings are not designed to withstand earthquakes,” Munich Re’s Dr. Spranger says. The studies could easily have been kept quiet, so the government has obviously decided to draw attention to that risk.

therockz

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not capped and neither does it slow down. All I have to do is pay for the extra bandwidth
  • Additional 5GB for $9/month
  • Additional 10GB for $15/month
  • Additional 25GB for $27/month
  • Additional 50GB for $55/month
  • Additional 100GB for $85/month
  • Additional 200GB for $165/month
  • Additional 300GB for $245/month

If it is not "capped", then why do you have to pay for any extra GBs after 30? If you download 60 gig per month, you have to pay 27+75=100 bucks!

The risk of earthquakes in Auckland is very low and even if one does occur, the majority of houses and buildings are designed to withstand all but the big ones. However, the death toll in Singapore would be horrendous as none the high rise buildings there is built to any sort of earthquake code. Singapore is far from immune....

Spore is not at risk of an earthquake at all. It is simply too far away from the fault lines, there has never been any record of earthquakes in the past 200 years.

The risk of having earthquake is low in Auckland...well, lets just say it is not that far from the major faultline which runs RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF NEW ZEALAND. And if all buildings were built to be earthquake resistant and they work, Christchurch won't be in such a mess now.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If it is not "capped", then why do you have to pay for any extra GBs after 30? If you download 60 gig per month, you have to pay 27+75=100 bucks!

Spore is not at risk of an earthquake at all. It is simply too far away from the fault lines, there has never been any record of earthquakes in the past 200 years.

The risk of having earthquake is low in Auckland...well, lets just say it is not that far from the major faultline which runs RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF NEW ZEALAND. And if all buildings were built to be earthquake resistant and they work, Christchurch won't be in such a mess now.

If I download 60 Gb per month, I'll simply go on to a plan that suits my usage pattern the following month. There is never any reduction in speed. You pay for what you use and that's it. I used to be on an unlimited plan but I found that the inevitable throttling that ALL ISPs (Singapore ones included) impose on such plans during peak hours simply ruined my surfing.

Christchurch is in a mess because of liquifaction and the fact that many old buildings which were never earthquake proof had "heritage" status which meant that the facade could not be torn down or altered. Auckland is built largely on solid rock and it would take a pretty big one to bring the city to its knees.

Singapore has had numerous earthquakes, Most are too small to be noticed but there have been recent cases where buildings actually swayed!!!

Large sections of land in Singapore are extremely vulnerable should a big one occur nearby as the land is made up of unstable soil reclaimed from the sea!

In 2007. Sumatra was rocked by a 6.3 Earthquake which occured 420km from Singapore. As a result 150 buildings in Singapore had to be evacuated! NONE of these buildings is built to any sort of earthquake code. You seem to have this impression that Singapore is immune to natural disasters but nothing could be further from the truth.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/news/20070304/070309-5.htm

In addition to earthquakes, there is a distinct possibility that volcanic activity could bring the whole region to a grinding halt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...thousands-changed-weather-years-deadlier.html

Life is precious but life is also short. If you're going to choose your path in life based on the possibility of natural disasters, you're in a rather sorry state.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reuters[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 9 Mar 07
S'pore tremors raise fear of building on reclaimed land
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] By Koh Gui Qing

SINGAPORE, March 9 (Reuters) - One Raffles Quay, the newest office block in Singapore's financial district, overlooks a vast swathe of reclaimed land on which a huge casino, a swanky apartment block and a new financial centre are rising up.

On Tuesday morning, as One Raffles Quay was swaying, rocked by a 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Sumatra, Indonesia, 420 km (260 miles) west of Singapore, some of its occupants could not help but wonder: how quake-resistant are buildings on reclaimed land?

Nearly 20 percent of land-scarce Singapore's surface area is reclaimed from the sea, and Singapore has scores of tower blocks, hotels, factories and petrochemical plants on reclaimed land. In the coming years the city-state will develop a second financial centre, all on reclaimed land in the Marina Bay area.

So, is it safe? Engineers say that because reclaimed land is created by dumping sand into bodies of water, buildings rock more violently during tremors, although that does not mean they are unstable.

"Reclaimed land is made up of sea sand, so buildings will be shaken up more violently during earthquakes as compared to those on non-reclaimed land, which is solid and will not be liquefied by the shake," said Fan Sau Cheong, an engineering professor at Singapore's Nanyang Technological University.

He told Reuters that buildings on reclaimed land may shake two to three times more than those on natural land during earthquakes because sand in reclaimed land slides like liquid when saturated with water, in a process called liquefaction.

On Tuesday, about 150 buildings in Singapore were rattled by the quake and hundreds of people in the financial district fled their offices. No buildings were damaged and nobody was hurt.

PANICKING

"Blinds were shaking and the secretaries started panicking," said an office worker at One Marina Boulevard, a tower block next to One Raffles Quay. "Then some people started saying 'Oh no! And we are on reclaimed land!' It's just this instinctive fear that there are more risks with reclaimed land," she told Reuters.

Singapore's Building and Construction Authority denied that buildings on reclaimed land are more vulnerable to tremors than those on natural land, citing strong building foundations that can withstand tremors from distant earthquakes.

Unlike buildings in earthquake-prone Japan and Taiwan, Singapore buildings are not designed to be quake-proof, as Singapore does not sit on any major geological fault lines.

But since quakes in Indonesia are often felt here, the joints connecting the columns in many tall buildings should be connected more flexibly, to allow them to better absorb tremors, Fan said.

To ensure that a plot of reclaimed land will be stable enough to hold buildings, Singapore lets the land lay fallow for about 20 years to allow the sand to settle.

Singapore is not the only country building on reclaimed land. Macau has reclaimed land to erect more casinos and hotels, while Dubai has spent hundreds of millions of dollars creating a palm-shaped resort island off the coast of the Gulf emirate.

Engineers say that reclaimed land is always prone to sinking due to the difficulties in compacting the sand and draining the water trapped inside the reclaimed plot, which causes reclaimed land to subside more easily.

Japan's Kansai International Airport, the world's first airport built on reclaimed land, has sunk more than 11.5 metres since construction began in 1987.

However, buildings on reclaimed land will not sink if they are supported by steel or concrete columns that are hammered all the way into the seabed, although the streets circling the buildings may sink alongside the drooping land, engineers say.

"The building will not be floating on reclaimed soil," said Lee Siew Eang, a building professor at the National University of Singapore.
[/FONT]

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I judge an education system not by its ranking on some stupid website. In NZ, people go to school to LEARN and EXPLORE. In spore, ppl or should I say rats go to school to COMPETE and BACKSTAB.

Just interview any NUS fresh grad and you would realise many these clowns can't even tell you the basics of their field off offhand because they only memorise stuff to pass exams and forget everything. What is the point of going to uni then? I spoke to a management graduate who can't even tell me the 7Ps of marketing or what the Maslow hierarchy is. Spoke to accounting grads who can't even tell me off hand basic financial ratios such as P/E etc.

Uni and any education is about training you for a job and picking up a skill. In Spore, these clowns have made it into a meaningless rat race. That is why Spore can never produce world class researchers or Nobel prize winners.

The highest level of education (phd level) is about inventing new things, new researches and pushing the boundaries of your field. Sporean students view education as a backstabbing and examination contest. Sporean teachers are nasty, they view school as an army camp and screw their students up as much as possible. The entire education system is as screwed up as it can be.

If you love your child, don't send him to Sporean schools, the amount of needless competition, backstabbing and needless nazi like school rules will only mess up any sane person mentally.

It is good to see you have some sense and not brainwashed by results and only results. I certainly hope you are not the type who thinks that people who are poor in studies deserves to be despised, unlike how some typical relatives think. I was shocked by how one of my relatives' child's class behave. Backstabbing, destruction of other notes and even preventing each other from studying is rampant. Worst part is, it is only her primary 6 class. I guess this nation has condition people into thinking that as long as you succeed, you could pretty much be dishonest and go around doing bad things. Seems like Singaporeans in some cases, are no different from the PRCs.

I dislike the fact that education system is dead and purely based on memorizing. Graduates here do not love what they do, it is more of the results that matter. Copying and plagarism is quite common, though it is unspoken. In the end, the students are just robots programmed to do linear tasks. Even the Japanese have moved on from there. For your info, Singaporean teachers do not even entertain queries. It is seen as a waste of time.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah I fully agree. But NZ does not want more Sporean migrants, it is just a news that Sporeans spread to make themselves feel good. They want more UK migrants, which is why UK citizens have 24 mths working holiday visa. Sporeans get only 6mths while even the Chinese get 12 mths lol. They basically hand you a PR if you are from the UK and interested in NZ.

In any other country, they would have just called CPF a tax. But in Spore they call it CPF and have another 8-20 percent for tax, just to make you think you pay very little tax.

In NZ, you pay 33% tax, but you get free healthcare, 800 bucks each month if you can't find a job, 1-2k a month once you pass 50 years old and a lot of other benefits such as lone care giver, child care etc etc.

In Spore, you pay 35% CPF + 8+% income tax, you only get a variable monthly pension when you turn 50 years old. If your mthly income is little and you have little in your CPF, your monthly pension won't even be enough for you to live on. And you get MEDIFUND, which the government covers your healthcare costs if you are totally broke and need healthcare. But it is means tested and there are no written rules, meaning you are basically begging for it and you may not even get it. In NZ it is a standard 1-2k /mth once you turn 50 no matter how much your monthly income is.

Anyway, Spore is just a 20km rock in a very troubled region of the world. Msia or Indo cut off food, Spore starves. They invade, Spore dies. It is overcrowded, very vulnerable, a dictatorship, and they even cane your ass for just spray painting a wall lol.

Even Hong Kong is better than Spore. Yes HK is more crowded than Spore (bcus most of its land are hills which cannot be built up) but don't forget Hong Kongers are Chinese citizens and they can get a home return permit which allows them to work and live freely in China. HK citizenship may not be a very bad thing afterall since China is growing fast and being a HK citizen means u can invest in property and stocks in the mainland, which is very good investment.

Macao is small but Macanese are Portugese citizens and can always exercise their rights to live and work anywhere in the EU if they want to.

In Spore, you are just stuck in a concrete 20km hellhole FOR LIFE. No wonder Sporeans are so miserable, rude, aggressive, illiterate and disgusting. Most Sporeans will never be able to migrate because it is very hard to migrate these days. If it was easy, the entire India or Malaysia would be in NZ. Only 13% of Sporeans have a degree and I think only 5-10% of Sporeans overall qualify for migration.

Not totally off here. I believe Singaporeans are only used as a last resort. Of course, they will prefer their own race than another. Britain and Australia comes close. Anyway, these NZ taxes are the real deal. You pay and you get protected. Singapore pays little taxes but there are many hidden traps. Old people are not even treasured in their own nation after toling in their youth. Government even suggest you to throw to JB so that they can draw more salaries from the reserves.

Singapore is too vulnerable, any time our neighbours want to play punk, we are pretty much flattened.

I disagree with HK being better though, it is much worse and overcrowded. People there are even ruder than your typical Singaporeans and the fact that China is their boss does not sit well with me. I pretty much value my own independence and will not like to be under any control no matter how lucrative. Imagine if a PRC going around murdering people and you cannot jail him because the boss says so.

Most Singaporeans do not dare to migrate because they are AFRAID to. They have been brainwashed from young that Singapore is 100% good and that if you even step out of Singapore, you get raped or murdered. Seems like PAP has caused many Singaporeans into thinking Singapore is Shangri-la while they park their kids into 'dangerous' places like UK/US/OZ.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm still surprised that after so many years, the education system in Singapore has not changed. I guess, based on what you guys are saying its getting worst. I suppose things are still the same as before. Its the same when these Singaporean students goes overseas. They mug, copy, plagiarised in the university here as well.

I do think HK is much better then in Singapore. For, one, they have China where they can go travel, have a second home etc to live in. Their train system also extends into Shenzhen and you can hitch a ride into the mainland just like that. Politically, they could be worst then in Singapore, but I don't think that is a big concern. The HongKies, don't really hate the chinese as much as it used to. In fact, if you go to HK, you would see that most sales person there could speak Mandarin. It is much more vibrant and exciting then Singapore. I think HK, even with a change of "master" is doing very well because of the growing market of china. A lot of rich Chinese actually prefers to shop in HK because its easier for them to get a 10 year unlimited entry visa. Some how, Singapore has lost its status as a shopping paradise compared to HK. This is something that Singapore is trying to attract with the two casinos. In a way, I think Singapore never was able to capture the Chinese market due to geographical and political reasons. The influx of mass FTs from China and India was an attempt to make Singapore relevant to these countries as well.

If people were not "AFRAID" they would have voted more opposition. It would take a few generations, or a violent event for change to happen. Most people are just afraid of change. Singaporean, are brought up with the mentality that change is bad, alternative views are bad, speaking out is bad.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm still surprised that after so many years, the education system in Singapore has not changed. I guess, based on what you guys are saying its getting worst. I suppose things are still the same as before. Its the same when these Singaporean students goes overseas. They mug, copy, plagiarised in the university here as well.

I do think HK is much better then in Singapore. For, one, they have China where they can go travel, have a second home etc to live in. Their train system also extends into Shenzhen and you can hitch a ride into the mainland just like that. Politically, they could be worst then in Singapore, but I don't think that is a big concern. The HongKies, don't really hate the chinese as much as it used to. In fact, if you go to HK, you would see that most sales person there could speak Mandarin. It is much more vibrant and exciting then Singapore. I think HK, even with a change of "master" is doing very well because of the growing market of china. A lot of rich Chinese actually prefers to shop in HK because its easier for them to get a 10 year unlimited entry visa. Some how, Singapore has lost its status as a shopping paradise compared to HK. This is something that Singapore is trying to attract with the two casinos. In a way, I think Singapore never was able to capture the Chinese market due to geographical and political reasons. The influx of mass FTs from China and India was an attempt to make Singapore relevant to these countries as well.

If people were not "AFRAID" they would have voted more opposition. It would take a few generations, or a violent event for change to happen. Most people are just afraid of change. Singaporean, are brought up with the mentality that change is bad, alternative views are bad, speaking out is bad.

Singaporeans are taught from young that the end always justify the means. Perfectly fine if you cheat, sabotage and con, as long as you win. LKY has been doing that to his opponents. Why will Singaporeans not pick up the habit?

Hong Kees actually hate the Chinese, but because now the wind is swaying towards China, so now they are 'nice' to China. People who are often in contact with Hong Kees know they are a prickly bunch. To be honest, I value my freedom and independence. I have nothing against opening up the nation for business but to give up sovereignty is another issue. But I do know of many rich Cantonese who love to shop in HK and how many Chinese mothers are getting their sons born there to get HK status.

Singapore has lost its status due to it being expensive and the lack of cheap and good food.

Singaporeans have been brainwashed from young that speaking out or thinking differently is a sin and you must conform with majority. Anybody who think different is ostracized. Opposite will happen if it is in Western nations.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
sam , i am really thinking of moving to auckland, but i heard it is difficult to get a job in auckland(esp if you are asian) and people are moving out to get employment. am i right on that??

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
sam , i am really thinking of moving to auckland, but i heard it is difficult to get a job in auckland(esp if you are asian) and people are moving out to get employment. am i right on that??

I heard that it's difficult to get a job in Singapore if you're a Singaporean. Am I right about that?

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
sam, i am not trying to be funny, that was a serious question.. cos i have friends who are newzealander telling me the situation there, so i just want to clarify it..

as for sg.. jobs are plentiful here.. it is not difficult to get a job here.

I heard that it's difficult to get a job in Singapore if you're a Singaporean. Am I right about that?

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
sam, i am not trying to be funny, that was a serious question.. cos i have friends who are newzealander telling me the situation there, so i just want to clarify it..

It's such a general question that it's next to impossible to answer. It's like asking how long a piece of string is.

I'm Asian and I've had plenty of job offers in Auckland. I turned them all down because I don't need the money and I don't like being an employee either. If I needed money, I'd set up my own little enterprise and become an employer.

I've also met sinkies in Auckland who complain that they can't find a decent job. I explain to them that their sinkie accent is next to impossible to understand, that their written English is atrocious and their understanding of make makes NZ tick is non existent.

At the end of the day, whether a job is easy or impossible to land will all depend entirely on YOU!

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
fair enough sam. i just want to hear your opinion..
any advice will help me on my decision on moving there.. thanks. :smile:

It's such a general question that it's next to impossible to answer. It's like asking how long a piece of string is.

I'm Asian and I've had plenty of job offers in Auckland. I turned them all down because I don't need the money and I don't like being an employee either. If I needed money, I'd set up my own little enterprise and become an employer.

I've also met sinkies in Auckland who complain that they can't find a decent job. I explain to them that their sinkie accent is next to impossible to understand, that their written English is atrocious and their understanding of make makes NZ tick is non existent.

At the end of the day, whether a job is easy or impossible to land will all depend entirely on YOU!