• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China cancels visa restriction on bald visitors

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
China cancels visa restriction on bald Taiwanese visitors
The Telegraph UK

Bald_1655259c.jpg

Chinese authorities imposed the ban over fears that 'it was easier for bald people to disguise themselves'

China has cancelled a controversial visa restriction on bald Taiwanese visitors amid discrimination concerns, according to travel agents and local media.

The rule imposed by the southern Chinese city of Xiamen barred bald people from applying for one-year multiple-entry permits, the type usually used by frequent business travellers.

Chinese authorities imposed the ban over fears that "it was easier for bald people to disguise themselves", according to a report in the Taipei-based Liberty Times, which cited unnamed travel agents.

But earlier this year, the city cancelled the ban.

"It would probably have raised the question of discrimination if Chinese customs officials were to ask visitors to remove their wigs," said Roger Hsu, a spokesman for Taiwan's Travel Agent Association.

There were no official statistics on how many people had been denied entry because they were bald.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should be "Guess who he is?".

Cut the singlish crap. :rolleyes:
hahaha...sam kor.....this 1 is definitely Singlish with capital S.
but I think both way is acceptable.

1. Who I am or Who am I?
2. Who my mother is or Who is my mother?
3. Who my idol is or Who is my idol. (of course sam kor lah)

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

1. Who I am or Who am I?

Both may be grammatically correct but they don't necessarily mean the same thing.

EG: "I would like to tell you who my mother is." means you already know.

"Who is my mother?" means you don't.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both may be grammatically correct but they don't necessarily mean the same thing.

EG: "I would like to tell you who my mother is." means you already know.

"Who is my mother?" means you don't.

hahaha...sam kor.....sorry out of point......
10 words against 4 words of course means different things

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Who I am or Who am I?

both ways are acceptable.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I'm trying to do is help. :confused: Sinkies need to master at least ONE language or they'll forever be at a disadvantage in this globalised world we live in.

hahaha...sam kor, just need to answer yes or no.
Is "Guess who is he" and "Guess who he is":
1. both grammatically acceptable?
2. both have the same meaning?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
hahaha...sam kor, just need to answer yes or no.
Is "Guess who is he" and "Guess who he is":
1. both grammatically acceptable?
2. both have the same meaning?

"Guess who is he" is grammatically WRONG.

"Guess who he is". is CORRECT.

"Who is he?" is CORRECT and can stand alone as a question.

"Who he is" is a sentence fragment that cannot stand alone. However it can be used as part of a complete sentence" EG: "He may look weird but that's who he is."

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, Sam for the English lesson...

Maybe China can also ban people with dark skin... They tend to hide from authorities and involve in dark businesses...

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are right about it being grammatically inappropriate. It is not, however, a mistake peculiar to 'Singlish'. This non-standard use occurs frequently among all users of English, even among native speakers.

Should be "Guess who he is?".

Cut the singlish crap. :rolleyes: