• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Western Australia needs skilled migrants for mining boom

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Decided to write something which a lot of people did not realise.

Sydneysiders and Melburnians often look at WA (Perth) and think of the state as backward.

Looks can be deceiving, esp in this mining state.

While the place is laidback, people often forgot that:-

The Chinese consulate here is very busy hosting more Chinese VIPs then the embassy in Canberra/Sydney.

80% of China investment in Australia end up here.

The amount that we export is equivalent to 45% of USA export to China.

Some of the most sophisticated high-paying manufacturing happen here (eg Oakajee, Henderson). In Adelaide & Melbourne, people are still talking about car manufacturing. What a joke!

Some of the most advanced scientific research, engineering & technology are here (whether in commercial mining or military naval)

We watch in sci-fi those remote control operations is alive here.
eg 1200km of railway remotely controlled from an operation centre 1500km away

Enough for today

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMMIGRATION Minister Chris Bowen is to announce that Perth will be listed under a sponsored migration scheme to make it easier for West Australian employers to recruit workers from overseas.

Hey, Neddy... I just received an email requesting police cert and medical checkup for my migrant visa to WA. I believe I am nearly at the last stages for the trip down under?! Any other red-tape after this before I can join you in Perth?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, Neddy... I just received an email requesting police cert and medical checkup for my migrant visa to WA. I believe I am nearly at the last stages for the trip down under?! Any other red-tape after this before I can join you in Perth?

Good on you ! I applied for a Project Manager job in Perth @ 300k but in vain. I am unable to join you guys for the time being.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Looks like your case officer is progressing your case to closure.
I remember that police and medical clearance are the final hurdles.

Just make sure your Singapore passport got space for a visa :biggrin:

Red-tapes will come later ....
Remember that Australia is not run as a seamless country.
From the postings here, you should expect some red-tapes - no big dramas ones I hope.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously bad planning? :(

Now that they are in the news, they will be saved.
Camping by Lake Monger. :smile:

Dream of jobs turns to misery
Jane Hammond, The West Australian
Updated February 28, 2012, 2:15 am

429393767.jpg

Matthew Fishcer and Tamika Hocking are camping out in Glendalough. Picture: Lee Griffith/The West Australian

Matthew Fischer and Tamika Hocking were lured to WA from NSW with the hope of landing jobs on the mines.

But in the month since they arrived, they have been scammed, robbed, abused, had their car window smashed and been left homeless.

Before driving from NSW, the couple spent all their savings on a bond to lease an apartment in Perth that they had found on the internet. But when they arrived, they discovered they had been scammed and the apartment did not exist.

With nowhere to go and unable to find crisis accommodation or affordable housing, they began camping in local parks while they looked for work.

Last week, their mobile phone was stolen and their tent vandalised while they were asleep inside. A few days later a window on their car was smashed.

Mr Fischer, 25, said while Perth was a beautiful city it seemed to be very rough, full of crime and it did not have enough services to help people in crisis.

He said he and Ms Hocking, 21, had tried to get food and shelter but had been turned away by a number of services and told they would have to fend for themselves.

When their car ran out of fuel at the weekend, they did not have the cash to get a train to access meals provided for the homeless in the city. The couple have managed to find jobs but their prospects of finding a more permanent home appear grim.

Yesterday, they had half a loaf of bread and a small amount of margarine to last until Mr Fischer received his first pay packet later this week.

The pair had not showered or eaten a hot meal in days and were exhausted by the constant harassment from passing motorists.

"I wanted to come to WA because I had heard about all the jobs and the chance of getting something on the mines," Mr Fischer said.

"We wanted to get somewhere in life by earning some decent money on the mines but when we got here we found it is not that easy."

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok.. I hope this is a one-off incident and not indicative of overall Perth hospitality! :eek:

These couples are either idiots or attention seekers. Even as I am writing this, I think the job/accomodation/food/money offers are been delivered to them. I will just wait and see. This couple is probably taking advantage of all the attention they are getting. Not sure if they have learnt their lesson through.

Aussies youngsters trusting too much, no forward planning, doing stupid things without thinking of consequences.
That is why Singapore migrants should always do better than them. :wink:

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/hinchliffe-warns-of-mining-job-scams

Hinchliffe warns of mining job scams
By Cole Latimer on 24 January 2012 40 comments

He stated that jobseekers should do their research before singing up to agencies which claim to be a recruiting hub for the resources industry.

"Shonky businesses are targeting jobseekers wanting to get a foot in the door in the mining industry," Hinchliffe said.

"We're hearing about a number of businesses who are overstating the level of assistance they are able to offer jobseekers.

"The last thing we want to see are the hopes - or the hip pockets - of jobseekers being exploited by unscrupulous operators.

"These operations - usually set up online or at suburban shopping centres - offer, for a considerable fee, to include the jobseeker's resume on an exclusive recruitment database that they claim is used by resources companies. As far as we can tell, the database is fictitious and we have no evidence to suggest that these companies have links to resources companies or their recruiters."

In September, David Macartney was charged with four counts of obtaining money by deception and two counts of attempting to dishonestly obtain money after running a mining recruitment scam in Queensland.

The charges allege he defrauded six people out of more than $32,000 after falsely recruiting them to work for a major Western Australian mining company.

The victims were all from the Sunshine Coast and aged from their 20s to 40s.

Police say Macartney posed as a representative from a high profile recruitment agency, and guaranteed people a job in the mining industry if they handed over their money.

They said they became alerted of the scam after officials from the Western Australian company expressed concern at Macartney using their name.

Hinchliffe went on to say that "jobseekers are very unlikely to gain employment as a result of using these firms.

"I urge anyone who has encountered a company like this and has concerns to contact Fair Trading on 13 74 68."

He went on to highlight legitimate mining job avenues such as the upcoming Work For Queensland exhibitions.

"A wide range of major resource companies have already signalled that they will again be represented at the Work For Queensland Expos, and this will be a great chance for jobseekers to make direct contact with companies looking for skilled workers," he said.

"Confirmed exhibitors to date include Thiess, Origin Energy, Downer EDI Mining, Skilled, WorkPac and a number of industry skills bodies."

An analysis into the resources industry shows there is a massive skills shortage.

The analysis comes amid new figures from the Bureau of Statistics showing while job creation across Australia was falling, the shortage in Western Australia and Queensland was still acute.

There will be a shortfall of 30 000 workers across mining in the next five years.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ChoiceOne's 457 visa deal to benefit WA
by: Russell Quinn From: PerthNow March 02, 2012 3:01pm

http://www.choiceone.com.au

547946-skilled-immigrant.jpg

Korean welder Mo Young Kang who is working on a two year visa. Picture: James Croucher

RECRUITER ChoiceOne will employ hundreds of skilled 457 visa workers in the coming years to help address WA's workforce shortages after winning a lucrative Federal Government agreement.

Perth-based ChoiceOne, which has been securing and placing workers locally, nationally and internationally for more than two decades, has been awarded a Federal Government 457 Visa Labour Agreement meaning it can employ overseas workers on 457 temporary visas for up to four years and then on-hire these personnel across those industries facing the greatest skills shortages.

Potential 457 visa candidates may be found overseas and brought to Australia, or existing visa holders residing in Australia, such as those with working holiday or tourist visas, may be converted into 457s if they prove to be suitably qualified.

The company will primarily target the mining and resources sectors, and related industries, which are currently in dire need of skilled workers and forecast to only get worse in the short and medium terms.

Mines to fly foreign workers to bush

Health professionals, such as midwives and mental health workers, and valuable trades, like boilermakers and alike, are also firmly in its cross-hairs.

ChoiceOne chief executive Marg Van Heurck told PerthNow that her company has been has been negotiating the deal with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship since October 2010.

Ms Van Heurck said the agreement allowed ChoiceOne to employ foreign nationals who have skills in information technology, allied health, digital marketing and media, accounting, legal, engineering, geology, telecommunication, trades and nursing.

“With current Chamber of Commerce and Industry research showing Western Australian alone will need approximately 500,000 extra workers over the next decade, the new agreement could not come at a better time,” she explained.

“This is a unique opportunity for a recruitment company to directly address the skills shortage by on-hiring sponsored 457 Visa employees to businesses who need skilled staff.

“Additionally, we can also assist suitably qualified candidates currently working here in Australia on working holiday visas transitioning to 457 visa status.”

Ms Van Heurck said she was aware of only three other recruitment firms nationwide that had struck a similar agreement with the Department.

She said the new agreement was a welcome about-face from the Government which, during the last mining boom, stopped recruitment agencies from bringing in foreign workers with the idea of then on-hiring them because a lot of these agencies couldn’t find them work.

“So this really good, this is a way for the government to control it and also controlling the numbers and in the areas that there are the shortages,” she added.

ChoiceOne, which will search African and Asian countries as well as Ireland for suitable candidates, will reap little during the first year of the agreement because of the cost of implementing the necessary infrastructure.

But the second and third year of the deal will greatly benefit its bottom line as well as its candidate base, Ms Van Heurk said.

“And given WA is economically really healthy, it's a huge opportunity for us as there’s loads of people looking to come here,” she said.

Neddy Tip: Rental stock down to 2%. Should build near domestic airport. Prepare for rental housing boom !!!!!!

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yo Neddy, can you suggest a few areas in Perth for my research?

ChoiceOne's 457 visa deal to benefit WA
by: Russell Quinn From: PerthNow March 02, 2012 3:01pm

http://www.choiceone.com.au

547946-skilled-immigrant.jpg

Korean welder Mo Young Kang who is working on a two year visa. Picture: James Croucher

RECRUITER ChoiceOne will employ hundreds of skilled 457 visa workers in the coming years to help address WA's workforce shortages after winning a lucrative Federal Government agreement.

Perth-based ChoiceOne, which has been securing and placing workers locally, nationally and internationally for more than two decades, has been awarded a Federal Government 457 Visa Labour Agreement meaning it can employ overseas workers on 457 temporary visas for up to four years and then on-hire these personnel across those industries facing the greatest skills shortages.

Potential 457 visa candidates may be found overseas and brought to Australia, or existing visa holders residing in Australia, such as those with working holiday or tourist visas, may be converted into 457s if they prove to be suitably qualified.

The company will primarily target the mining and resources sectors, and related industries, which are currently in dire need of skilled workers and forecast to only get worse in the short and medium terms.

Mines to fly foreign workers to bush

Health professionals, such as midwives and mental health workers, and valuable trades, like boilermakers and alike, are also firmly in its cross-hairs.

ChoiceOne chief executive Marg Van Heurck told PerthNow that her company has been has been negotiating the deal with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship since October 2010.

Ms Van Heurck said the agreement allowed ChoiceOne to employ foreign nationals who have skills in information technology, allied health, digital marketing and media, accounting, legal, engineering, geology, telecommunication, trades and nursing.

“With current Chamber of Commerce and Industry research showing Western Australian alone will need approximately 500,000 extra workers over the next decade, the new agreement could not come at a better time,” she explained.

“This is a unique opportunity for a recruitment company to directly address the skills shortage by on-hiring sponsored 457 Visa employees to businesses who need skilled staff.

“Additionally, we can also assist suitably qualified candidates currently working here in Australia on working holiday visas transitioning to 457 visa status.”

Ms Van Heurck said she was aware of only three other recruitment firms nationwide that had struck a similar agreement with the Department.

She said the new agreement was a welcome about-face from the Government which, during the last mining boom, stopped recruitment agencies from bringing in foreign workers with the idea of then on-hiring them because a lot of these agencies couldn’t find them work.

“So this really good, this is a way for the government to control it and also controlling the numbers and in the areas that there are the shortages,” she added.

ChoiceOne, which will search African and Asian countries as well as Ireland for suitable candidates, will reap little during the first year of the agreement because of the cost of implementing the necessary infrastructure.

But the second and third year of the deal will greatly benefit its bottom line as well as its candidate base, Ms Van Heurk said.

“And given WA is economically really healthy, it's a huge opportunity for us as there’s loads of people looking to come here,” she said.

Neddy Tip: Rental stock down to 2%. Should build near domestic airport. Prepare for rental housing boom !!!!!!

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
eric_lum why you repeat your posting? confirm you are a pap ib. get you and your fucking ns policies out of here.
i found out perth jobless rate is only 4.1%.

so you are one of the fraudster who try to gave false information. :oIo: :oIo: :oIo:
do you know that 4% is considered full employment.

WA's unemployment rate lowest nationally
Save this story to read laterFrom: AAP
March 08, 2012 6:24PM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email
Add to Digg
Add to del.icio.us
Add to Facebook
Add to Kwoff
Add to Myspace
Add to Newsvine
What are these?
ALSO.Boss of French breast implant firm jailed ....Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
..End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

WESTERN Australia's unemployment rate has remained steady and is the lowest in the country, while there has been a drop in youth unemployment.
The jobs figures for February showed the national unemployment rate rose - from 5.1 to 5.2 per cent - but WA remained steady at 4.1 per cent.
Commerce Minister Simon O'Brien said WA's youth unemployment fell from 23.3 per cent to 18.9 per cent between January and February, while Australia-wide, youth unemployment remained at 26.4 per cent.
"If you are looking for a job, WA is the best place to be," he said.
Mr O'Brien said seasonal factors like the take-up of high school and university graduates finding work between January and February affected the WA figures.
"It should be remembered these particular figures fluctuate significantly month to month," he said.
"However, the contrast between our state youth employment and the national rate demonstrates how well WA's economy is being managed."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...ly/story-e6frfkur-1226293926043#ixzz1oavkDG6n

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
eric_lum why you repeat your posting? confirm you are a pap ib. get you and your fucking ns policies out of here.
i found out perth jobless rate is only 4.1%.

so you are one of the fraudster who try to gave false information. :oIo: :oIo: :oIo:
do you know that 4% is considered full employment.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/bre...ly/story-e6frfkur-1226293926043#ixzz1oavkDG6n

Xenomorph,
A lot of would-be migrants from Singapore treat Australia as one economy. But we know better than that.

Things work differently here. No wonder the troll get confused.

For instance,
They do not even know that today 12 Mar is a Public Holiday only in Adelaide, Canbarra, Hobart and Melbourne but not Perth and Sydney.

When Perth was having Labour Day Public Holiday on 5th, A Chinese colleague turned up for work only to find the office locked because his wife has to go to work at the university because universities follow a different set of Public Holidays :biggrin:

Take care.
Jiak Hong. Take advantage of EURO & JPY. No time to write. :biggrin:

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yo Neddy, can you suggest a few areas in Perth for my research?

Hi Axe,

Try the Perth inner metro areas.
see map here.
http://www.aussiehome.com/search.aspx

Stirling area shortage of rental (6-8km from CBD) No further north than Nollamara/Westminter suburbs or the bogans will get you.
Belmont area - the prices are cheaper (townhouses, units)
Cannington - SingaPerth area.
There are other pockets of opportunities.

Perth is really short of rental properties now.
My wife's girlfriend lost her job in Singapore (Jap school close down) and now in Perth looking for job as Japanese teacher. This Jap loves Perth, does not want to return to Tokyo! There are only 3 suitable rental place in Stiring area (Yokine/Tuart Hill suburbs easy access to transports) She has rental headache!
Now looking at Maylands (5km from CBD)

I pity the new Singaporean migrants coming here because Perth is now like an Irish refugee camp.
My agent told me of a 3br rental property squeezing in 11 Irish arrivals and 4 "bombed" cars
We have enough Greeks already. Who knows, soon, there may be more tapas bar around, Spain unemployment 50%.
Even the Japs are coming aplenty.

The Europeans are better at getting jobs. They are "multiskilled". see below.

367949-no-irish.jpg

Australian embassy condemns 'no Irish' ad on website

Victoria Park area is becoming like Koreatown.
Innaloo is Indiantown
Scarborough. Wembley, etc

Some parts of Baywaters are bikie gangland, but otherwise, OK. Stay away from the train stations. Across Guildford Road towards riverfront much better. Reflected in prices.

Subiaco is too expensive! So are the western suburbs which are like Toorak.

South of the river,
Avoid Como suburb near the train station. Parking war there.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13189649/man-filmed-slashing-como-tyres/

On my flight between Sydney and Perth, full of FIFO bankers. It should be called the bankers' charter. hahaha
One of them tells me that the FIFO will end soon and Perth will be a new permanent Aussie financial hub servicing asian customers (same time zone)

Melbourne propeties not for me :smile: My own backyard more prospects. :smile:

Take care.

Last edited:

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Axe,

see map here.
http://www.aussiehome.com/search.aspx

Stirling area shortage of rental (6-8km from CBD) No further north than Nollamara/Westminter suburbs or the bogans will get you.
There are other pockets of opportunities.

Perth is really short of rental properties now.
My wife's girlfriend lost her job in Singapore (Jap school close down) and now in Perth looking for job as Japanese teacher. This Jap loves Perth, does not want to return to Tokyo! There are only 3 suitable rental place in Stiring area (Yokine/Tuart Hill suburbs easy access to transports) She has rental headache!
Now looking at Maylands (5km from CBD)

I pity the new Singaporean migrants coming here because Perth is now like an Irish refugee camp.
My agent told me of a 3br rental property squeezing in 11 Irish arrivals and 4 "bombed" cars
We have enough Greeks already. Who knows, soon, there may be more tapas bar around, Spain unemployment 50%.
Even the Japs are coming aplenty.

The Europeans are better at getting jobs. They are "multiskilled". see below.

367949-no-irish.jpg

Australian embassy condemns 'no Irish' ad on website

Innaloo is Indiantown

Some parts of Baywaters are bikie gangland, but otherwise, OK. Stay away from the train stations. Across Guildford Road towards riverfront much better. Reflected in prices.

South of the river,
Avoid Como suburb near the train station. Parking war there.

Hi neddy,

What is the current value of a detached bungalow on 9,000 sq ft of freehold land at Dalkeith Ave?

In 1981 I bot a single storey bunaglow at Dalkeith Ave for A$180,000 and had sold it off for A$600,000 in 1998.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never under estimate Perth/WA... likewise, QLD - the mining states.
But prefer Mel for nice food and shopping :-)
I'll spend a significant time for researching.. Hopefully, bringing tender chickens to the public. Haha

--------------------------------
Hi Axe,

There are other pockets of opportunities
Innaloo is Indiantown

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
main.jpg

That is in Nedlands, my favourite suburb. See for yourself.
3 Dalkeith Road, Nedlands, WA 6009
$1,675,000

Land Size:1012 m² (approx)

Hmmm... My crappy hse has room for growth..
Land size : 926m2
Rare big plot within 7km radius
Front 2m ht fence going cost me $20k :-( money no have !

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never under estimate Perth/WA... likewise, QLD - the mining states.
But prefer Mel for nice food and shopping :-)
I'll spend a significant time for researching.. Hopefully, bringing tender chickens to the public. Haha

Melbourne is always special in my heart. :smile:

I am sure things are going on well.

Ireland is finished! I remember SBS used to sell the old buses to the poor Irish.
Thanks to the Irish, Australia still manufacture Holdens - that is why I never buy one.

see this news by David Williams.

Last year 76,300 people emigrated from our country. This is an average of 209 emigrating every day. Nine people left every hour. One person left every seven minutes. The people who are leaving are young, and well-educated. In the last great scattering of the Irish in the late-1980s, we know that a university graduate was four times more likely to emigrate than someone who left school before the Leaving Cert.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2012/03/21/why-should-ecb-be-given-priority-over-our-families

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS

Why?

1. The situation on the ground is changing much faster than reported. It is ridiculous that we have 1200 new migrants showing up every week in Perth. Where to accommodate them? Not to mention the strain on the existing infrastructure.

2. The job creation rates (including some mining) have slowed down, thanks to the unions, high AUD and china. Not to mention the competition in getting jobs.

3. Second most desired job destination is not the same as plentiful jobs. This news is only good for people who already have jobs - and desirable jobs.

4. Cost of living. Eating out in Tokyo is cheaper than Perth.

----------------------------
Australia second most desired job destination

Save this story to read later
April 19, 2012 7:54AM

AUSTRALIA has emerged as the second most desired location, behind only the United States, for people to live and work, a report says.
The Global Professionals on the Move 2012 report from recruiting firm Hydrogen Group says Australia's popularity was due to its lifestyle and standard of living, as well as the career opportunities presented by the mining boom.

Hydrogen managing director for Australia Ivan Jackson said there were 404 natural resources projects taking place in Australia worth about $450 billion.

"A lack of relevant skilled professionals is one of the main barriers to bringing these projects to fruition," Mr Jackson said in the report, which was released today.

"Many oil and gas projects are reaching a point where they will suddenly need several thousand extra workers.
"In the next two to three years recruitment to Australia will be at its highest ever."
Overseas experience was also highly valued by employers, particularly in the energy sector, the report said.

Hydrogen said while 59 per cent of its clients stated international experience was important in prospective employees, the figure rose to 100 per cent for those from the energy sector.

"In fact, the opportunity to work overseas is one of the reasons young people enter the profession," the report said.
The report said the most common reason working professionals were seeking jobs overseas was to develop their careers.
Australia tied second with the UK as the most popular place to work, followed by Singapore, Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong and France.Some 90 per cent of respondents believed relocating for work accelerated their personal development, while 86 per cent said it improved their career prospects.
Moreover, 83 per cent said their salaries rose on the back of their overseas experience.
The report found 15 per cent of women working overseas were women aged 40 years and above, compared with nearly 50 per cent of men in the same age demographic.
The survey, which was conducted by ESCP Europe, comprised responses from 2353 professionals from 85 different countries obtained during November 2011.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/wor...on/story-e6frfm9r-1226332774821#ixzz1sYKfSFAH

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no need for readers to be put off by some nasty postings.

The difference between trolls and me is that trolls have a hidden agenda in coming into this forum.
Their line of questioning are not helpful and they do not answer my questions.
Just keep them in the Ignore list.

I am here as a free person.
I have a desire to post what I feel will help my fellow countrymen.
After what I have been through in Singapore and Australia, I am able to look back and say that I have made a right decision to migrate.

I am prepare for work & leisure in Europe next week. :biggrin:

Singaporeans seems a bit lost with all the bad news in economic, social and political. Perhaps, this is part of a nation growing up.
The PAP govt is increasing look after themselves and their buddies. They can do this because people still will not openly criticise them for putting up ponzi schemes, eg Eldershield.

(http://centswisedollarfoolish.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/why-i-opt-out-elder-shield.html)

Take care in Singapore.