• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Western Australia needs skilled migrants for mining boom

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am inclined to agree with you. The sandwich class Singaporeans that have moved to Australia, 90% enjoy their lives there. The rich often come back in a hurry after finding out they cannot play lord-and-serf.

For parents with kids, the loss of a maid is a big deal.
For churchgoers, they have a support group to help mind the kids.

Lucky, my ex took over the kids. So, I just clean the house myself with my new partner.
Eg the cost of my gardening is $110 per 4 week (6 week during winter)

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
For parents with kids, the loss of a maid is a big deal.
For churchgoers, they have a support group to help mind the kids.

Lucky, my ex took over the kids. So, I just clean the house myself with my new partner.
Eg the cost of my gardening is $110 per 4 week (6 week during winter)

I think the point is, the rich could have gotten away with nearly everything here but in Australia, people have balls to stand up to their bullshit. Add in the high taxes for the rich and the rich sure know SG is good for them. I feel Australia is a good place for those who are laid-back in life, independent and non-party goers. But from what you said, seems like the "mate" spirit is rich in local Aussies.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the point is, the rich could have gotten away with nearly everything here but in Australia, people have balls to stand up to their bullshit. Add in the high taxes for the rich and the rich sure know SG is good for them. I feel Australia is a good place for those who are laid-back in life, independent and non-party goers. But from what you said, seems like the "mate" spirit is rich in local Aussies.

OMG! The blue-collar workers are earning higher income here as well.
We are going to be the Saudi Arabia for gas, esp with the nuclear energy option nuked by many energy users!

logo_post_b.gif

Australia Boom Pays Men Without Degree More Than Bernanke

<CITE class=byline>By Michael Heath and Jason Scott - Mar 31, 2011 </CITE>
Travis Marks, a 24-year-old with no college degree, is hitting pay dirt as Australia’s mining bonanza fuels demand for workers. Already making triple the nation’s average salary, he expects to get even richer.
“With what’s going on in the industry, there’s lots of big jobs coming up,” said Marks, who earns A$220,000 ($227,150) a year -- more than Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke’s $199,700. His job as a rigger for a company providing construction and maintenance services to the resources industry is “a really good way to get ahead as a young bloke,” he said.
Reserve Bank of Australia Governor Glenn Stevens faces a developed-world rarity: wage pressure in an economy near full employment. While he paused in raising interest rates this year to gauge the impact of the nation’s most expensive natural disaster, HSBC Holdings Plc projects an increase in the third quarter.
“The concern for central bankers is what happens for inflation expectations,” said Paul Bloxham, chief economist at HSBC in Sydney and a former Reserve Bank official. “The big concern is that you start to see signs of some sort of wage- price spiral.”
Rate Outlook

With incomes rising for Australians like Marks, National Australia Bank Ltd. says markets underestimate the likelihood of higher rates to contain inflation. Traders are betting Stevens won’t boost borrowing costs at the next policy meeting April 5 or for the rest of the year and see only about a 50 percent chance of an increase in February 2012, according to bank bill futures.
In a research report this week, National Australia Bank said investors should bet on three-year swap rates rising to 5.75 percent from about 5.3 percent. It sees the nation’s currency appreciating to a record $1.05 in June from $1.0325 at 10:52 a.m. in Sydney today.
Australia’s economic growth is extending into sparsely populated areas as Chinese and Indian demand drives export revenue from raw materials to a record. Perth-based Mineral Resources Ltd. (MIN) said in March it exported the largest manganese shipment from an Australian port when a 74,000 metric-ton Panamax carrier departed Port Hedland, in the northwest of Western Australia.
737 Service

Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN), based in Sydney, started a passenger service March 14 using Boeing Co. 737s to help workers reach job sites in Western Australia’s Shire of East Pilbara. The region, where 10,500 people live in an area the size of Germany and summer temperatures reach 46 degrees Celsius (115 Fahrenheit), is also the home of Mt. Whaleback, the world’s biggest open-cut iron-ore mine, owned by Melbourne-based BHP Billiton Ltd. (BHP), the world’s largest mining company.
HSBC estimates the total value of Australian mining and resource projects proposed or under construction at $777 billion, or about 60 percent of gross domestic product.
Wages grew 3.9 percent in the three months through December from a year earlier, the fastest pace since the first quarter of 2009, according to government figures. When the central bank decided March 1 to keep its official cash rate at 4.75 percent, it said wage growth had returned to levels reached before a 2009 decline.
“Guys that were asking for A$150,000 in November are asking for A$180,000 and getting it,” said Damien Lee, general manager of Professional Recruitment Australia, which supplies workers to companies including Woodside Petroleum Ltd. (WPL), Leighton Contractors and Royal Dutch Shell Plc. (RDSA)
RBA’s Threshold

The Reserve Bank has had a threshold of about 4.5 percent for wage growth -- a combination of 2 percent productivity and the 2.5 percent mid-point of the central bank’s inflation target range, according to Stephen Roberts, a senior economist at Nomura Australia Ltd. in Sydney. That limit now is likely 4 percent or lower, as productivity slows to less than 1 percent, he said.
The gap between yields on Australian government bonds and inflation-indexed notes today shows investors expect consumer prices will rise an annual 2.97 percent for the next five years, the fastest among eight developed nations tracked by Bloomberg.
“For industries like construction, incentives to move to mining sites will increase and put pressure on wages in capital cities,” Roberts said. Wage growth already is near the central bank’s “line in the sand,” where increases become inflationary and unions may exert more pressure, he said, predicting the central bank will raise rates later this quarter.
Unions Respond

Unions see an opportunity to lock in higher compensation as unemployment hovers around 5 percent, about half the rate in the euro zone.
The Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union, Australia’s biggest in the building industry, sought pay increases in February of as much as 24 percent over four years. The Communications, Electrical and Plumbers Union is seeking annual pay rises of 5 percent over the next three years, almost double the inflation rate.
“Industry has the capacity to pay,” Dave Noonan, national secretary of the CFMEU’s construction division, said in an interview.
Unions contend that cost-of-living pressures for workers are higher than reflected in the nation’s consumer price index, which rose 2.7 percent in the fourth quarter from 12 months earlier, the smallest gain in a year.
Inflation-Wage Gap

The gap between the central bank’s weighted median measure of inflation and the annual wage-price index, based on Feb. 23 statistics bureau figures, is the widest in six years.
Torrential rains in Queensland during December and January have compounded concerns about labor shortages. The storms flooded about 30,000 properties, shut coal mines, cut rail lines and damaged crops. An area the size of Egypt was declared a disaster zone, including parts of the state capital, Brisbane.
Reconstruction is expected to cost A$20 billion, according to Melbourne-based Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd., and it will take two years and 34,000 tradesmen to rebuild Brisbane homes, said Graham Cuthbert, executive director of Brisbane-based industry group Master Builders Queensland.
Queensland already was experiencing high demand for civil engineers after the state was hit by floods a year earlier and that will only intensify after the latest deluge, said Simon Bristow, regional director at Hays, a recruitment firm.
“The market is tightening,” Bristow said.
Help Wanted

Two coal-seam gas projects, expected to cost more than A$30 billion, are proceeding near Gladstone, a port in Queensland. Santos Ltd. (STO), Australia’s third-largest oil producer, and BG Group Plc (BG/), the U.K.’s third-biggest gas producer, will start hiring the first of more than 10,000 construction workers needed for the projects later this year.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard said in February the resource industry could be short 36,000 workers in the next four years and the government will have to introduce measures to encourage older Australians and parents to rejoin the workforce. She also plans to relax restrictions on skilled migration.
Labor availability and rising wages are the biggest concern of 55 percent of Western Australian businesses this year, up from 42 percent a year ago, according to a survey released yesterday by Commonwealth Bank of Australia and the state’s Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
So far, the Reserve Bank has relied on consumer spending restraint and higher household savings to cool inflation in recent quarters and allow it to delay rate increases.
GDP Expansion

With incomes rising in an economy forecast by the bank to grow 4.25 percent in 2011, when measured from the fourth quarter of 2010 to the final three months of this year, surging wages could force Stevens to boost a benchmark rate that’s already the highest in the developed world.
“At some stage, households will be comfortable with the war chest of savings built and throw caution to the wind,” said Jarrod Kerr, director of Australia rates strategy at Credit Suisse in Singapore. “The RBA is lying in wait for this moment and will restrain households if spending accelerates too much.”
Marks, the rigger who works for Monadelphous Group Ltd. (MND), expects to move closer to home in northern Queensland as mining and energy projects swing into gear, he said in a telephone interview from Perth, the capital of Western Australia. Friends often ask him how they can get into the resources businesses, too.
“It’s hard work, but for the money it’s worth it,” he said.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
pfft neddy, stop making me so envious. :biggrin:
you have to be lying because so many Singaporeans say Australia sucks :rolleyes: :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you have to be lying because so many Singaporeans say Australia sucks :rolleyes: :wink:

It really depends on what are your life's objectives?
You cannot really fault me because I am doing better here than I am back in Singapore.

I have a nice house, a nice car, a job that I am not happy with, but pay well, some investments and thinking of re-marrying again. My Jap partner is a godsend (trained to be a good wife from school days)

The main point is that I am not helpless like I feel in Singapore.

I observe how my local friends use their creative juice to get around obstacles in cases where Singaporeans will think are - gone case. It also help that I have my rights here to do stupid things (which I try not to).

I do not know what is it about living in Singapore - but there seems to be invisible hands holding Singaporeans back.

I hate living in apartments. I hate waiting for public transports and traffic jams.
Finally, I do not need to work OT.

I visit an Aussie returnee in HK earlier and he regretted returning to HK, esp now that the China factories he audits are shut.

Finally, there is a need to mix around with the locals and migrants. It is depressing mixing with the Singapore community - a number of their ideas do not work.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think most people have the wrong idea about emigration. It has been said before, its not for everyone. If you like staying in Singapore and could earn a decent living there, stay. People like Tin Pei Ling with connections in the island should stay, its not for everyone to emigrate. What the trolls are harping about I have no idea. Secretly, I suspect they may have missed out the chance to migrate when they can and are regretting their decision.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When we have a 2-speed economy and liquidity is fuelling the resources boom, it distorts the economy and affects the other sectors .

WA technically in recession: economist

Published 1:13 PM, 6 Apr 2011

<HR style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: #3e79b4" SIZE=1>http://www.businessspectator.com.au...y-technically-in-recession-FN4D4?OpenDocument
<!-- end storyHeader-->
<!--==== START bodyhtml ====-->
AAP
West Australia's economy is technically in a recession, according to the state's peak industry body, with the benefits of the impending mining boom yet to kick in.
The WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry's chief economist John Nicolaou said the state's domestic economy contracted for the second consecutive quarter at the end of 2010.
According to the chamber's quarterly snapshot, the WA economy went backwards in the final three months of 2010 partly due to waning business investment.
Mr Nicolaou said the economy's contraction was also due to initial construction work on some major projects winding up and the weak performance of the housing market.
"This was largely driven by many West Australians (being) reluctant to take on new debt, and first home buyers leaving the market following the end of the federal government's stimulus program," he said in a statement.
The state is also yet to see a "run of consistent job creation".
In better news for the state, the economy benefited from a boost in exports and falling imports that helped WA reach a record high trade balance of $18 million.
"The longer term outlook is also positive with hopes still high that the much-awaited economic resurgence will kick in during the second half of the year," he said. The economy is expected to grow by 5.75 per cent next financial year due to significant levels of investment activity and higher export returns.

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
You cannot really fault me because I am doing better here than I am back in Singapore.

I have a nice house, a nice car, a job that I am not happy with, but pay well, some investments and thinking of re-marrying again. My Jap partner is a godsend (trained to be a good wife from school days)

The main point is that I am not helpless like I feel in Singapore.

I observe how my local friends use their creative juice to get around obstacles in cases where Singaporeans will think are - gone case. It also help that I have my rights here to do stupid things (which I try not to).

I do not know what is it about living in Singapore - but there seems to be invisible hands holding Singaporeans back.

I hate living in apartments. I hate waiting for public transports and traffic jams.
Finally, I do not need to work OT.

I visit an Aussie returnee in HK earlier and he regretted returning to HK, esp now that the China factories he audits are shut.

Finally, there is a need to mix around with the locals and migrants. It is depressing mixing with the Singapore community - a number of their ideas do not work.

You have taken my last sentence too seriously. I am just poking fun at those who keep saying Australia is such a nasty, backwater place like my friends.

I agree that there seems to be an invisible barrier among most Singaporeans. On a lighter note, I will love a Japanese wife since the Confucian teaching makes them good wives. :biggrin:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think most people have the wrong idea about emigration. It has been said before, its not for everyone. If you like staying in Singapore and could earn a decent living there, stay. People like Tin Pei Ling with connections in the island should stay, its not for everyone to emigrate. What the trolls are harping about I have no idea. Secretly, I suspect they may have missed out the chance to migrate when they can and are regretting their decision.

If you are rich and well-connected, stay in SG. Australian taxes are enough to make sure you lose half.

If you are middle-income, Australia might be the place for you.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have taken my last sentence too seriously. I am just poking fun at those who keep saying Australia is such a nasty, backwater place like my friends.

I agree that there seems to be an invisible barrier among most Singaporeans. On a lighter note, I will love a Japanese wife since the Confucian teaching makes them good wives. :biggrin:

No worries. I did not take note of your last sentence that much.

Seriously, I have to be less serious :cool: in order to survive doing my job here. Once I realise that the mean people do not count much, work life is better. I think Singapore is still a better place for managers.

As for Jap girls, I do not go for the younger ones. LOL

If you are rich and well-connected, stay in SG. Australian taxes are enough to make sure you lose half.

If you are middle-income, Australia might be the place for you.

Australia is for middle-income people. This place still pride itself as a worker's paradise.

As for the taxes, they are bad (45% max) but still very much liveable. Otherwise, you will see riots on the street. Anyway, governments all over the world will find way to get the peoples money.(Eg CPF 2.5 to 3.5% interest rates is below real inflation rate - that is a form of tax as well)

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
No worries. I did not take note of your last sentence that much.

Seriously, I have to be less serious :cool: in order to survive doing my job here. Once I realise that the mean people do not count much, work life is better. I think Singapore is still a better place for managers.

As for Jap girls, I do not go for the younger ones. LOL

Australia is for middle-income people. This place still pride itself as a worker's paradise.

As for the taxes, they are bad (45% max) but still very much liveable. Otherwise, you will see riots on the street. Anyway, governments all over the world will find way to get the peoples money.(Eg CPF 2.5 to 3.5% interest rates is below real inflation rate - that is a form of tax as well)

Poor taste neddy, going for Japanese lau kway bus. :eek: :biggrin:
But I cannot deny because of their upbringing, they make very good wives. Once a Japanese woman loves you, it is 75% assured she will be loyal to you and willing to toil with you. I notice generally, they are not too particular about money unlike the Chinese, they are more concerned whether their man is a real man with manly spirit.

Australia is a good place if you are not hoping to have Zouk parties everyday. People there generally do not party like mad unlike in SG. The rich and playful will definitely find it a chore and a bore while the middle-incomers with simple entertainment will find it just right.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poor taste neddy, going for Japanese lau kway bus. :eek: :biggrin:
But I cannot deny because of their upbringing, they make very good wives. Once a Japanese woman loves you, it is 75% assured she will be loyal to you and willing to toil with you. I notice generally, they are not too particular about money unlike the Chinese, they are more concerned whether their man is a real man with manly spirit.

Australia is a good place if you are not hoping to have Zouk parties everyday. People there generally do not party like mad unlike in SG. The rich and playful will definitely find it a chore and a bore while the middle-incomers with simple entertainment will find it just right.

I have enough of the younger mini sized ones. (My ex is 5 years younger than me), but if you want bliss, go for someone who can give you bliss.
She looks younger than her actual age. She attend dancing class to keep her figure tight.

In Perth, we entertain at home and make full use of the facilities. (It is my country club :biggrin:)
In my Singapore condo, I never use the facilities - too much OT.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

You mean Koreans, there are heaps of Korean MM here as well. Japanese would be shinto. Most Japanese regards themselves as agnostics even.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean Koreans, there are heaps of Korean MM here as well. Japanese would be shinto. Most Japanese regards themselves as agnostics even.

These days, the younger Japs are different from their parents. They are not religious.
Even for Koreans, you see a major generational gap.

Anyway, Australia has the largest inter-racial marriages in the developed countries.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have enough of the younger mini sized ones. (My ex is 5 years younger than me), but if you want bliss, go for someone who can give you bliss.
She looks younger than her actual age. She attend dancing class to keep her figure tight.

In Perth, we entertain at home and make full use of the facilities. (It is my country club :biggrin:)
In my Singapore condo, I never use the facilities - too much OT.

Pfft. I am probably going to get mine from the Land of the Rising Sun itself. I sure want a wife that is willing to stay home and take care of kids. But ultimately, we have to 'click'.

My friends also notice the same trend, Singaporeans after work is either go home or hit the bars. Aussies generally go back home or do healthier hobbies like cycling or fishing.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal

Confucian has nothing to do with religion. It is a mere scholaristic scroll that dictates how a civilized society should act for the yellow skins like you and me. Most common Confucian teachings will be:

- Wife has to be submissive
- Wife has to give up career for housework
- Husband has to be responsible and bring home the bread
- Husband can 'fix' his wife if she becomes wayward
- Boys are always preferred than girls

It is not the religion that moulded both Koreans and Japanese, but Confucius himself. Ironically, the Chinese embraced the Western values and hence you see the mega-high divorce rate in SG.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IMMIGRATION Minister Chris Bowen is to announce that Perth will be listed under a sponsored migration scheme to make it easier for West Australian employers to recruit workers from overseas.

WA is facing a big shortage of skilled workers for its resource and infrastructure projects.

At a skilled migration conference organised by the mining industry in Perth today, Mr Bowen is expected to announce that the WA capital will become eligible under the government's Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

"What it means is that it will be easier for employers to get semi-skilled workers, particularly people who are already in Australia under 457 visas and to help them transition to permanent residency," he told ABC Radio today.

"There are concessions under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme and we do prioritise applications under that scheme."

----------------------------------------------

WA has nation's strongest economy
July 18, 2011

Western Australia's economy is now judged as the strongest in the nation, while NSW's financial performance remains in the doldrums, according to the latest CommSec State of the States report.

WA has leapfrogged the ACT to become the best-performing state or territory, buoyed by continued strength in the mining and engineering sectors.

Next on the list was Victoria, followed by South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.

NSW's economy remains constrained by the construction sector and a comparatively soft job market, CommSec found.
Its report, authored by chief economist Craig James, is compiled by analysing eight indicators, including economic growth, retail spending and completed construction work.
Meanwhile, Queensland's economy was still recovering from natural disasters in early 2011. Its economy should gain momentum as rebuilding continues.
There is also some hope for NSW, with CommSec saying the state should benefit in coming months from its relatively high population and firm home lending.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/national/...est-economy-20110718-1hkm8.html#ixzz1SWFFf0j1

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
You cannot really fault me because I am doing better here than I am back in Singapore. (cos u can siam pay your ex-wife maintenance, what a cheapo)

I have a nice house, a nice car, a job that I am not happy with, but pay well, some investments and thinking of re-marrying again. My Jap partner is a godsend (trained to be a good wife from school days) (better than those prc charbo that con your $10k is it?)

The main point is that I am not helpless like I feel in Singapore. (Not only helpless, u are useless and jobless as well. lucky your ex-wife see tru your laziness and brainless and decided to leave u)

I observe how my local friends use their creative juice to get around obstacles in cases where Singaporeans will think are - gone case. It also help that I have my rights here to do stupid things (which I try not to).(how can any1 outdo u in stupid index? u bought fake china medicine and tea leaves u know:biggrin:)

I do not know what is it about living in Singapore - but there seems to be invisible hands holding Singaporeans back. (eh dumbarse neddy, u dunno almost all sporeans do better than u, thats why they stay here)

dumbarse neddy, your sad story in your own words :biggrin::eek:
About a year ago, my angmo co-worker asked me to translate some chinese notes and found out that his Chinese mei mei is part time serving other men. He was train-wreaked!
Been there a few times. For historial, sceneric & culture.
Conned by the locals as well, from fake Olympic souvenirs to silk duvet covers.
Conned into tea brick investment.
Spent over $10,000 seeing Beijing TongRenTang doctors.

cb neddy, see your own post :

Conned by the locals as well, from fake Olympic souvenirs to silk duvet covers. (dumb)
Conned into tea brick investment. (dumber)
Spent over $10,000 seeing Beijing TongRenTang doctors. (wow. out of the dumb scale)
I was travelling alone after my divorce pathetic.
http://www.singsupplies.com/showthre...orean-identity
post#14

Last edited: