• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Western Australia needs skilled migrants for mining boom

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS

Why?

1. The situation on the ground is changing much faster than reported. It is ridiculous that we have 1200 new migrants showing up every week in Perth. Where to accommodate them? Not to mention the strain on the existing infrastructure.

2. The job creation rates (including some mining) have slowed down, thanks to the unions, high AUD and china. Not to mention the competition in getting jobs.

3. Second most desired job destination is not the same as plentiful jobs. This news is only good for people who already have jobs - and desirable jobs.

4. Cost of living. Eating out in Tokyo is cheaper than Perth.

----------------------------
Australia second most desired job destination

Save this story to read later
April 19, 2012 7:54AM

AUSTRALIA has emerged as the second most desired location, behind only the United States, for people to live and work, a report says.
The Global Professionals on the Move 2012 report from recruiting firm Hydrogen Group says Australia's popularity was due to its lifestyle and standard of living, as well as the career opportunities presented by the mining boom.

Hydrogen managing director for Australia Ivan Jackson said there were 404 natural resources projects taking place in Australia worth about $450 billion.

"A lack of relevant skilled professionals is one of the main barriers to bringing these projects to fruition," Mr Jackson said in the report, which was released today.

"Many oil and gas projects are reaching a point where they will suddenly need several thousand extra workers.
"In the next two to three years recruitment to Australia will be at its highest ever."
Overseas experience was also highly valued by employers, particularly in the energy sector, the report said.

Hydrogen said while 59 per cent of its clients stated international experience was important in prospective employees, the figure rose to 100 per cent for those from the energy sector.

"In fact, the opportunity to work overseas is one of the reasons young people enter the profession," the report said.
The report said the most common reason working professionals were seeking jobs overseas was to develop their careers.
Australia tied second with the UK as the most popular place to work, followed by Singapore, Canada, Switzerland, Hong Kong and France.Some 90 per cent of respondents believed relocating for work accelerated their personal development, while 86 per cent said it improved their career prospects.
Moreover, 83 per cent said their salaries rose on the back of their overseas experience.
The report found 15 per cent of women working overseas were women aged 40 years and above, compared with nearly 50 per cent of men in the same age demographic.
The survey, which was conducted by ESCP Europe, comprised responses from 2353 professionals from 85 different countries obtained during November 2011.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/wor...on/story-e6frfm9r-1226332774821#ixzz1sYKfSFAH

Not everyone is in mining, gas or oil industry.
For Aussies, Australia's job opportunities are limited so they moved to US/Europe, SG or HK.
For Sinkies, they are discriminated in their own country so they moved overseas, Australia not neccessary provide the career opportunities they would want. Those in the financial industry, they are better off to HK, UK & US where these skillsets are sought after. Oz is pretty dead other than mining.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not everyone is in mining, gas or oil industry.
For Aussies, Australia's job opportunities are limited so they moved to US/Europe, SG or HK.
For Sinkies, they are discriminated in their own country so they moved overseas, Australia not neccessary provide the career opportunities they would want. Those in the financial industry, they are better off to HK, UK & US where these skillsets are sought after. Oz is pretty dead other than mining.

these industries, although very lucrative and pay king ransoms, aren't willing to hire non-whites workers unless you have some unique skills that they need.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Happy anzac day! Whatever that means? Good to have a countrywide public holiday today. The next public holiday will be Foundation Day, recently named by separatists as Western Australia Day and only celebrated in Western Australia. :biggrin:

I really sound like you guys in the eastern states (ex QLD) are in an economic recession. But over here, first home buyers are buying up properties like in a boom.
The western seaboard has always rejected Labor politics, and the idea of creating a separate country, Westralia, surface every now and then during talks.

these industries, although very lucrative and pay king ransoms, aren't willing to hire non-whites workers unless you have some unique skills that they need.

What is wrong with racist banana-benders?

Mining in WA are getting the previously unemployable arbos into the workforce. True, some of them are always late for work or never turned out, usu the men. These are eliminated very quickly.

There is work discrimination in financial industries. I know of this white boss who only employ asians. I asked why, and he said, 60-80 of the time, the whites have work related attitude problems. He has no time for that!

On the other hand, there is this Italian jobs boss who will employ from his own community. Good, they are almost bankrupted by Bankwest over some soured deals and the owner himself is under investigation by ASIC. I think Enron/Worldcom accounting practices are not appreciated here as well.

Len arrived in Australia as a Chinese-Vietnamese refugee when he was three years old. He went on to complete a Mechatronic Engineering degree and a Masters in Finance leading him to a career in mining. Now he is part of an industry that contributes to the lives of thousands of Australians, not just for today but for the future.
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_zUIfjPYclw&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_zUIfjPYclw&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Tradies in the eastern states are not paid as well as here.
Carpenters in UK earns A$35k, USA A$45k but in WA, they earn A$156k. I have problem plugging in the tradies income difference between UK,US and OZ. Otherwise, I will show you the BIG blue-collar salaries here.

WA tradies' pay leads world
Kim Macdonald, The West Australian
Updated April 24, 2012, 2:05 am
tweet7
Email
Print
WA is one of the best places in the world to be a tradesman or labourer, with an international comparison showing they earn up to four times more than foreign counterparts.

Wages for tradesmen in the mining and commercial sectors are not too far behind some types of engineers, and well above the salaries paid to teachers and nurses.

WA labourers putting in a 50-hour week can earn $130,000 annually on city commercial projects and mine sites.

While WA's high cost of living chews through much of their wages, a comparison with pay relativities in the US and Britain shows WA puts a premium on trades.

In America and Britain, many tradesmen earn less than teachers and nurses and labourers are paid as little as $30,000 a year.

Ryan Hathrill, director of Robert Walters recruitment, said WA wage rates had been moulded by the lucrative resources sector.

The industry could afford to pay good money to compete for skilled tradesmen, who were in relatively short supply.

"WA is clearly one of the best, if not the best place in the world for a tradesman, where they can earn good coin and spend good coin," Mr Hathrill said.

"The demand for tradesmen is very high because of overseas demand, particularly from China.

"If you consider these workers are working longer hours in remote, dangerous and expensive locations, then it only adds fuel to the wage inflation in this sector."

He said tradesmen often had tougher rosters than white collar professionals in the mining sector, with a longer period between breaks.

The WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry's Marcia Kuhne warned that projects could become uneconomical if wages continued to grow at lofty rates.

The Master Builders Association's Kim Richardson blamed the construction union for boosting wages under the threat of strike action.

"The wages are a reflection of the ability of the construction unions to screw deals out of construction companies in the 1980s, 1990s and early noughties," he said.

"The only way for employers to settle disputes with the construction unions at the time was to pay up and try to buy industrial peace at premium rates."

Construction union boss Mick Buchan said the wage rates were the result of both the structure of the economy and militant unionism.

"We bargain and strive for the best agreements for our members and we are never going to apologise for that," he said.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia unique advantage is mining. Mining is what attracts migrants.
Mining provide us with the kind of lifestyle that other sour-grape aussies can only envy. I agree totally with that!
When I was in Singapore, who know what mining was about, unless you have been to Perak Malaysia.

This is the "behind the scene" version that tells you more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V-88O5qNSRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ozzies want to save the Yankees, and :eek: and the potatoe wogs (dumb irish) !
I think the entire Indian oil and gas workers are here as well.

WA tradies world's highest paid

24 April, 2012 Cole Latimer Mining News

Share on email Share on print Share on facebook_like

Western Australia is one of the best places to be a tradie or labourer, with workers earning up to four times those in other states and overseas.

According to new research, WA labourers working a 50 hour week can make $130 000 annually, while tradies in the UK and the US are only paid around $30 000 a year, the West Australian reports.

Unsurprisingly, Ryan Hathrill from Robert Walters recruitment pointed to the resources sector as the main driver for this labour boom.

WA is clearly one of the best, if not the best place in the world for a tradesman, where they can earn good coin and spend good coin," Hathrill told The West.

"The demand for tradesmen is very high because of overseas demand, particularly from China.

"If you consider these workers are working longer hours in remote, dangerous and expensive locations, then it only adds fuel to the wage inflation in this sector."

With such low pay in the US, many engineers, surveyors and tradies have already looked to Australia.

The Federal Government will be hosting expos in Houston, Texas, next month to look for workers to fill desperately needed mining shortages.

The Skills Australia Needs road show will also target US combat veterans and other workers struggling to find jobs in the ailing US economy.

After already benefitting from similar schemes aimed at Irish workers large companies like BHP Billiton and Chevron are strongly backing the move.

Skills Minister Chris Evans said temporary US workers were a "good fit" for Australian mining jobs because they spoke the same language and understood the work culture.

Yesterday, it was reported that FIFO 'benchwarmers' are spending two to 12 months at home earning $150 000 before they are needed on site.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

and why would they source the skills from Spore which is not a resource-rich country?

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yea, I saw this advertisement before. Mining is the one drives the economy but everything else is flat. So for those in mining industry, outlooks is great as long China has strong demand.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yea, I saw this advertisement before. Mining is the one drives the economy but everything else is flat. So for those in mining industry, outlooks is great as long China has strong demand.

The Chinese have got more levers to control their economy, compared to the western world. It is like the Egypt dictatorship, the martial laws and security control means it took the people over 30 years to give "feedback" and for things to boil over.

China is doing what Enron is doing now, but with the level of secrecy that the west can only envy.

------------------- ------------------- -------------------

Things have been moving along the past few days over here.

1. The Fed govt announce special migrant visas for those heading for WA.

2. Today, the largest mining recruitment drive in Australia's history begins.

Rio launches blitz to find 6000 workers
Kim Macdonald, The West Australian
April 27, 2012, 4:51 am

Mining giant Rio Tinto will today launch one of the single biggest recruitment drives in Australian history, using Olympians to appeal to the aspirations of thousands of potential new workers.

The miner wants tradespeople, engineers, planners, project professionals, geologists and operators to fill vacancies at projects worth $22 billion that are either under way or about to start at sites across the country.

It is understood Rio hopes to fill about 6000 vacancies during the four-month campaign, with about two-thirds at its 14 WA sites. The company is seeking to increase capacity in the Pilbara by 50 per cent by 2013 to 353 million tonnes per annum, which would create Australia's the largest integrated mining project. It is believed most of the positions must be filled within the four-month campaign, with many available from today. But other candidates will be bookmarked as vacancies at its 30 sites around the country arise later in the year.

The unprecedented campaign, which includes a 1300 MINING hotline, is the first time a major mining company has made such an aggressive push for workers.

It is likely to spark a battle with its peers, such as BHP Billiton, which will also need thousands of workers for its expansion plans in the next year. Gina Rinehart's Roy Hill will need 8000 new workers in the next three years.

The shortage of skilled workers is so dire that the Federal Government this week revealed it would raise permanent migration levels by 5000 people annually.

The Chamber of Commerce and Industry yesterday supported the Government's migration announcement, predicting WA was still on course for a chronic shortfall of workers.

Chief executive James Pearson said WA would fall 210,000 workers short by 2020.

A spokesman for Rio Tinto confirmed the recruitment program was for "thousands" of people. All positions were for projects that were already under way or which had received the green light.

"The recruitment campaign has a real people focus and is all about attracting skilled employees to fill critical roles across Rio Tinto's mining operations in Australia," the spokesman said.

"We are the engine room of the Australian economy and we're looking to recruit engineers, planners, project professionals, geologists, operators and trades people to help us bring our new projects to life."

The spokesman said the use of gold medal Olympians to spearhead the campaign played on Rio Tinto's role in creating the 47,000 medals for winning athletes at the London 2012 Games.

We are the engine room of the Australian economy and we're looking to recruit. "Rio Tinto spokesman

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
boom boom boom. another loser in the emi folder. welcome to the club. neddy is the president. axe168 is vice president. ash007 is lifetime member.

Dude, I'm here contributing against my own free will.. I suffered terribly.. My chickens lose their feathers, watery holes not wet.. Ceiling fan not rotating.. Dry land flooded with water. CEO claimed i am the trouble maker in EBA negotiation.. Even the restrauants in Mel are selling chicken rice without chickens ! How can anyone possibly get tips from me ?

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and why would they source the skills from Spore which is not a resource-rich country?

New migrants to Australia with the right attitude, quick to pick up new skills and hardwork should present themselves to the mining recruitment. If they get the job, and with some smarts in financial planning, build a little pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow.

This is a once in a lifetime event. No need to stay too long, but earn that money when young. Invest and later you can leave Australia loaded if you do not like the place.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
New migrants to Australia with the right attitude, quick to pick up new skills and hardwork should present themselves to the mining recruitment. If they get the job, and with some smarts in financial planning, build a little pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow.

This is a once in a lifetime event. No need to stay too long, but earn that money when young. Invest and later you can leave Australia loaded if you do not like the place.

so just apply with rio tinto career website? or got special lobang?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so just apply with rio tinto career website? or got special lobang?

No special lobang. I will not be around.

Special lobang also comes from your effort too.

Talking to the right people will help you find out what chances have you got.

I believe that there is a hotline. Pick up that phone and chat with the people.

There will be more and more such jobs available as projects get the go-ahead.

You can try other mining companies as well, to avoid the crowd.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is always money to be made in Australia. :biggrin:

The Governments are Gold mines. There are secrets to be learnt from working in one, then leave and make money from these secrets.

Hint:
Public servants are good at throwing money to solve problems. These money are from taxpayers so they do not care. That is why I have always hinted in the past on how it is so fun to spend other peoples' money. :biggrin: But since public servants are too laid back and impotant to solve problems, they have to turn to the private sector to help them.

I really knock any forummers who dare to say my company charge too much or use their infrastructure to run my own sideline business.

Public servants want things solved quickly, do not mind the cost or tender. I am just helping. :biggrin:

Example
Notice how the Australia governments have beautiful websites compared to say HongKong or Singapore govt.

IT guys don't envy, governments will pay up to $20k for a new web page to be developed (not the entire website, just a page). When they made a mistake and asked for another HTML button and java thing to display along when clicked, that is another $3,500. :biggrin:

Unions, like govts, are wonderful GENEROUS people too. But they tend to look after their kind.
I love Australia :biggrin:

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
neddy,

prc mei mei simply love old and dumb fucks like you.

When I was looking for another wife, I used to screw them for free. But no Oz visa for them, 抱歉. From the way you write, I know how your brain works. No free lunch for you. :biggrin:

Take it easy! Singapore stressed you up big time! You do not know whether to turn left or right.

Come to Australia and I will cure you - Nyoonar smoke celemony very purifying. :biggrin:

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cannot resist replying to me? lol

free fuck for you? stop dreaming. free your lancheow. $10k spent on china medicine :rolleyes::biggrin::eek: you are more stupid than i imagined.

Honestly, I was waiting for your response, and I am free today to chat with trolls. I also talk to homeless people. It is my nature. Community Service :smile:

I just want to see how bad a loser you are, to spend time here sprouting your rubbish. I feel so sorry for you.

There are people around who would rather live miserably and wait for handouts, than finding a job.

My reply is my charity handout to you. Non-tax deductable charity. :biggrin:

And I feel great replying. It is the same feeling I get, when helping a blind man cross the road.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The past 5 years of big money investments have seen Perth changed from a cheaper city in Australia to one more expensive than Sydney.

Parking: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/-/wa/9964092/perth-parking-among-world-s-most-expensive/

Less friendly for a small city

More foreigners: How many people use 'Ta' instead of 'thank you'?

Personally, I BELIEVE WE HAVE NOT REACHED A TIPPING POINT FROM ENJOYING THE PROS OF A BOOM CITY TO LIVING IN THE CONSEQUENCES OF A BOOM. BUT IT IS COMING CLOSE!

I met this Angmo guy from Ayeshire who has a Singapore wife with thick Glasgow accent finishing with Singlish lah. (Sg girl took the first initiative to date him.) He objective - earn all the money in Perth then retire in somewhere Asia.
He is not the only one to think this way.

A Malaysian Kiwi I know is thinking of returning to Auckland, NZ. He complains that Perth people are too shallow who think that their city is the "bestest".

WA jobless rate the lowest in Australia

WESTERN Australia continues to lead the nation in employment, with the creation of about 6800 jobs in April pushing the state's jobless rate to a three-and-a-half-year low.

The mining state's unemployment rate fell to 3.8 per cent during the month, from 4.1 per cent in March.

The result is more than a full percentage point below the national rate of 4.9 per cent and that of the next best performing state, New South Wales, WA Commerce Minister Simon O'Brien said.

Mr O'Brien said 48,700 jobs were created in WA in the past 12 months.

WA Premier Colin Barnett said the figures were further proof of the strength of the state's economy.

"On the national front, while the unemployment rate has fallen slightly, I still remain concerned about job losses we're seeing on the east coast, but in Western Australia it's a very good environment," Mr Barnett said.

Chamber of Commerce and Industry WA chief economist Dana Mason said growth continued to be uneven across industries, with resources and resources-related sectors performing strongly, but small businesses and consumer-related companies were suffering from low consumer confidence.

About half of the chamber's members had reported difficulty in sourcing labour, and the shortage of skilled staff was expected to continue for the next few years, she said.

Ms Mason said falling productivity remained a problem nationwide.

"It's certainly an issue that will need to be addressed if we are going to continue to record improvements in standards of living across the country," she said.

"It's really about looking at improving the supply-side capacity of the economy to respond to the strong demand that we're seeing."

Investment in infrastructure was one way capacity-building could be achieved, and CCI WA was disappointed that the state received only 10 per cent of infrastructure funding in the federal budget this week.

"It's really important to recognise that what's good for WA is good for the nation as well," Ms Mason said

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The new staff recruited are from a failed junior miner.

No Perth people among them, one from Nepal, 2 other yellow-skinned Asians and a dark-skinned Sudanese-looking bloke. The Angmos took the clerical work, they are good at that kind of $50k salary jobs, and of course the executive ones.

Boom time represents an abnormal situation where things get out of equilibrium. They is always memorable and create opportunities, just like the bull-run in early 1990s Singapore and Australia post 9/11 to GFC.

I will stop updating this thread. Signing out!

-----------------------

Cash incentive fails to bring job snobs west
Andrew Tillett and Shane Wright Canberra, The West Australian
Updated May 30, 2012, 2:50 am

Eastern States job snobs facing the unemployment scrapheap are refusing to move to WA.

A Federal Government scheme offering cash incentives of up to $9000 to the jobless to move for work has proved a flop, with just 37 people moving interstate to WA in 18 months.

As Julia Gillard put down a backbench revolt over foreign workers, the WA business community said it wanted Colin Barnett to lead a trade delegation to the Eastern States in a bid to turn around perceptions of the West and the job opportunities available here.

The Gillard Government started a trial program last year to lure people who had been out of work for at least three months to other parts of the country.

Of 4000 places to be offered during the two-year trial, 452 people have been paid between $3000 and $9000 to take up a job.

But just 8 per cent of those 452 went to WA. Queensland has been the biggest beneficiary, attracting 210 people who have largely helped in flood and cyclone rebuilding.

Overall, 6 per cent of positions taken up have been in mining.

WA Labor frontbencher Gary Gray said there had long been a deep reluctance to head west for work, conceding financial incentives had generally failed to get people to shift.

"For many, the relocation is difficult because of the great distance, the lifestyle change, and the separation from family and friends," he said.

"Today, there is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for all Australians to be part of the amazing economic expansion in the north, where miners are offering the best wages and conditions on new projects."

WA Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive James Pearson said the State Government had to lead a trade delegation to the Eastern States to find workers.

He said while the Government and industry had gone overseas looking to attract potential workers, it was clear much more had to be done to turn around the views of people in Queensland, NSW, Victoria and Tasmania.

"The views on the East coast are so out of date," he said.

Mr Pearson said there were cases of people in the Eastern States made redundant, who had turned down the chance to live in WA or take up a fly-in, fly-out position.

BHP Billiton last year tried to help some of the 1000 workers made redundant by BlueScope Steel find jobs in its mines.

A spokeswoman said it had offered 90 positions, with 70 people accepting jobs. Forty of the jobs were in WA and Queensland.

Tasmanian independent Andrew Wilkie, whose State has an unemployment rate of 8.3 per cent, said attitudes had to change.

"Some Australians need to be more prepared to travel," he said.

The Labor caucus yesterday agreed to set up a new sub-committee to oversee future enterprise migration agreements after the backlash over Gina Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting being allowed to import 1700 people to build its massive Roy Hill iron ore mine in the Pilbara.

However, the spreading the benefits of the resources boom committee will have a limited role monitoring agreements to ensure Australian workers are not being disadvantaged as well as being told about pending deals, with the Immigration Minister to continue to have the final say.

Although the coalition supports EMAs, several MPs told their party room yesterday constituents had complained they were missing out on mining jobs.

One Liberal MP told _The West Australian _he believed employers might be discriminating against prospective workers with a union background to minimise the risk of industrial action.

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
tried applying for entry level engg jobs in WA but always unsuccessful........:(

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
tried applying for entry level engg jobs in WA but always unsuccessful........:(

Don't call it 'unsuccessful' until you have applied 300-400 applications and attended 20-30 interviews.. I am seeking for a new job since 2010 & I am still seeking..

Last edited: