• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

spore allows foreign grads to stay one year looking for job

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
More foreign grads turn to job-search scheme
More applying for pass that allows stay of up to a year, say agencies
By Elizabeth Soh & Amanda Tan

FOR the past two years, Filipino IT engineer Vincent Majellan had been trying unsuccessfully to look for a job in Singapore - by coming here twice on a visit pass.

In February this year, he was told by friends that he could try another method: Apply for an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (Epec), which allows foreign university graduates like him to stay here for up to a year while looking for a job.

Within three months of arriving here on the Epec, the 40-year-old - who has a computer science degree from De La Salle University in the Philippines - landed a job as an IT manager with a local bank and now holds an employment pass (EP) here.

'The employment agency said holding an Epec would really increase my chances of finding a job, as employers see it as more credible,' said Mr Majellan, who has five years of experience working as an IT officer in Dubai.

In the past year, more foreigners like him are turning to the Epec scheme offered by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), said employment agencies.

A possible reason, said some agencies, is that it buys them more time for job-hunting amid stricter manpower rules regulating the inflow of foreigners working here.

Previously, some might choose to come here on a visit pass - which allows them to stay up to 90 days - to look for a job. But with the more stringent rules which took effect this year, it may take them longer to land a job.

Ten out of 15 agencies polled by The Straits Times said they have seen an increase of about 50 per cent in inquiries made about the Epec in the past year.

'We are definitely getting more inquiries about it,' said a consultant from corporate solutions company Rikvin, which handles about 20 such applications a year. It has seen an increase of 20 per cent in overseas inquiries.

Although the scheme was launched way back in 1992, it is not as widely known as other passes - such as the EP meant for professionals who earn $2,500 and more, or the S-Pass for mid-level skilled workers who are paid at least $1,800.

MOM declined to give details on the number of Epecs approved. It would say only that take-up rate 'has been consistent since the scheme was introduced in 1992'.

To be eligible for the Epec, applicants must be graduates from any of the close to 700 universities on MOM's approved list, among other requirements.

Agencies observed that the scheme has become more popular in the past year - especially among foreign graduates from the less-known universities - as the MOM tightened requirements for certain work passes, such as the S-Pass.

While Epec holders typically gear for EP jobs, they sometimes also settle for the S-Pass if the company cannot pay them on a higher scale.

'With the influx of foreigners wanting to work here, it makes it harder for them to find a job so quickly. Having the Epec gives them a year and more time to sustain their job search,' said Mr Josh Goh, assistant director of corporate services at recruitment agency The GMP Group.

'People are also more aware of the Epec via word-of-mouth.'

According to agencies interviewed by The Straits Times, the typical profile of an Epec applicant is a male graduate in his late 20s to late 30s from South Asia and the Philippines.

They usually hold degrees in IT, engineering or accountancy and have at least three to five years of job experience in those areas. They usually look for jobs in sectors such as engineering, IT, banking and retail.

The scheme has also attracted foreign students enrolled in private schools here. Some students from China said they were told about the Epec when they came to Singapore to enrol in private degree courses.

'I was told by certain private schools that if I enrolled in their courses, upon graduation I could apply for and receive a special pass that would help me find work in Singapore,' said Mr Alex Hsu, a business graduate from the Singapore Institute of Management (SIM).

The 26-year-old from Shanghai successfully applied for an Epec after he graduated from SIM this year. He is still looking for a job.

Agencies said some foreigners also prefer to apply for an Epec because they are more likely to get an EP - instead of an S-Pass - if they manage to clinch a job here.

According to the MOM, eligible applicants are generally from the 'more established' institutions and they are 'likely to qualify for an employment pass upon securing employment in Singapore'.

Said business development manager Sunil Srinivasan from Sri Lanka: 'I think that when I tell employers I hold an Epec, they will know I am probably already qualified and verified.'

The 38-year-old, who has degrees in mathematics and statistics from the University of Colombo, found out about the pass on MOM's website and applied for it there.

Some employers also appear to prefer Epec holders, said Mr Dennis Cabasal, press manager at employment consultancy SM Asia.

He said: 'They are deemed to have already gone through one round of 'checks' by MOM.'

[email protected]
[email protected]

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
A Singapore 40 year old unemployed IT graduate searching for a IT job will resign to the fate of becoming a Taxi Driver. While a foreign 40 year old are given the time to deprive another Singaporean a decent job.

What is happening to this fucking country.

Foreigners first and Singaporean last.

:mad:
Within three months of arriving here on the Epec, the 40-year-old - who has a computer science degree from De La Salle University in the Philippines - landed a job as an IT manager with a local bank and now holds an employment pass (EP) here.

limpeh2

Alfrescian
Loyal
More foreign grads turn to job-search scheme
More applying for pass that allows stay of up to a year, say agencies
By Elizabeth Soh & Amanda Tan

FOR the past two years, Filipino IT engineer Vincent Majellan had been trying unsuccessfully to look for a job in Singapore - by coming here twice on a visit pass.

PCB, that clearly shows there're not enough jobs to go around & the motherfucking gahmen still pushing for ftrash to come & take up jobs here? :oIo: :oIo: :oIo: FUCK OFF PAP!

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
MM LKY and PM LHL are simply too much.

In effect,Lee & Lee invite 7 billions (going to be 9 billions by 2030)that is the total people on this earth,to come and look for a job here in Singapore!

They feel secure knowing that their children are well taken care of!

How about the citizens,even those PLP who PLP them faithfully for years.

The first salvo has been fired by their grass root leaders when complaining to Minister Lim Hwee Wah

PAP will lose big,unless Singapore citizens are,truly as they think,completely IDIOTS.

I am not too sure that all Sinkies are IDIOTS!

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe tat pinoy was paid Sgd1k for the post ?
i am waiting ivebert for his insightful comments. :biggrin:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal

In effect,Lee & Lee invite 7 billions (going to be 9 billions by 2030)that is the total people on this earth,to come and look for a job here in Singapore!

The first salvo has been fired by their grass root leaders when complaining to Minister Lim Hwee Wah

PAP will lose big,unless Singapore citizens are,truly as they think,completely IDIOTS.

Only peasants suffer from this

The top graduates from local universities are immune from such meek competition.

Alfrescian
Loyal
It makes very good economic sense to allow this. Most of these foreign graduates' certifications are not recognised in Singapore, thus they have to take a lower level position and thus receive lower pay. However they remain highly qualified, much more so than a local Singaporean. Imagine yourself as the HR manager. For example, why would I bother hiring a local diploma holder when I can hire an experienced foreign graduate for the same position and less pay? Or to take it a step up, why would I bother hiring a local graduate when I can hire an experienced foreign masters or multi-degree holder? I can be assured of the job being very well done at lesser cost. And because of the strong Singapore dollar, the salary will definitely be much more than what he gets in his own country. And because he has more to risk, he will work harder and longer than local Singaporeans. Plus if he's a guy, there is no NS liability nor NS Pay. A win-win situation for both. So why bother with local Singaporeans?

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe tat pinoy was paid Sgd1k for the post ?
i am waiting ivebert for his insightful comments. :biggrin:

KNNBCCB

You are a fucking loser

This pinoy comes here, earn $2-$4k but spend $1k on housing, $1k on other expenses.

Ask yourself who benefit from it? Singapore or this loser and his country?

Use your peasant brain please

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A Singapore 40 year old unemployed IT graduate searching for a IT job will resign to the fate of becoming a Taxi Driver. While a foreign 40 year old are given the time to deprive another Singaporean a decent job.

What is happening to this fucking country.

Foreigners first and Singaporean last.

:mad:

This you have to ask, Lim Beh Heng, Piggy Gan, Comical Lim, Anyhow Heng that Hairy mou woman....:rolleyes:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This you have to ask, Lim Beh Heng, Piggy Gan, Comical Lim, Anyhow Heng that Hairy mou woman....:rolleyes:
Actually no need to ask,because so many of their PLP followers are now asking this question on ye behalf.

The question now is how many fr these group would kens fired.

My guess is at least 4,incldung Mah Ah Tan plus 3 others

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
It makes very good economic sense to allow this. Most of these foreign graduates' certifications are not recognised in Singapore, thus they have to take a lower level position and thus receive lower pay. However they remain highly qualified, much more so than a local Singaporean. Imagine yourself as the HR manager. For example, why would I bother hiring a local diploma holder when I can hire an experienced foreign graduate for the same position and less pay? Or to take it a step up, why would I bother hiring a local graduate when I can hire an experienced foreign masters or multi-degree holder? I can be assured of the job being very well done at lesser cost. And because of the strong Singapore dollar, the salary will definitely be much more than what he gets in his own country. And because he has more to risk, he will work harder and longer than local Singaporeans. Plus if he's a guy, there is no NS liability nor NS Pay. A win-win situation for both. So why bother with local Singaporeans?

Precisely.

Sinkie peasants should just be less ambitious and apply to be toilet cleaners, bus drivers, taxi drivers, hawkers, store assistant, laborers

:biggrin:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

No they feel VERY secure when they know
that Singaporeans are NOT feeling secure .
YOU shake other's nest to know that your own is safe .

Control and dominate .

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNNBCCB

You are a fucking loser

This pinoy comes here, earn $2-$4k but spend $1k on housing, $1k on other expenses.

Ask yourself who benefit from it? Singapore or this loser and his country?

Use your peasant brain please

you sure they spend 1k on housing and 1k on other expenses? i thought they together rent a house for 1k and squeezed 20 filipino inside the house. so each only pay 50 per mth. food also same. they mass buy from market and cook all the food to be shared together among the 20 person. or are you a pinoy that come here to work? how come you seems to know well how they spent their money...:rolleyes:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such news is an open challenge from PAP to Singaporans. They are telling us that they can do whatever they want from the mandate Singaporeans have given them and gloated "This is MOM policy I implemented, so what can you do to me? Not happy again, don't worry I will dangle some carrots from the surplus budget to numb your brain!"