• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

let teachers teach

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
who has the figures for the attrition rate of the Education Officers in MOE?

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pink Floyd hve the answer-we don't need no Education! Hey, teacher...leave the kids alone! Hahaha..

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Pink Floyd hve the answer-we don't need no Education! Hey, teacher...leave the kids alone! Hahaha..

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: perhaps you're right, we should leave education out and start clobbering each other on the head with a club over food and sex :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
who has the figures for the attrition rate of the Education Officers in MOE?

I don't have the answer but one thing that tells me about MOE is:

*The employment of cheap China teachers is indicative of the care less attitude of MOE. Non-English speaking teachers cannot teach Mandarin to English speakers, period. There are so many of these teachers even at pre-primary, it is ridiculous to say the least. Who in MOE makes the decision to employ these people? What are they thinking?

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't have the answer but one thing that tells me about MOE is:

*The employment of cheap China teachers is indicative of the care less attitude of MOE. Non-English speaking teachers cannot teach Mandarin to English speakers, period. There are so many of these teachers even at pre-primary, it is ridiculous to say the least. Who in MOE makes the decision to employ these people? What are they thinking?

Pre Primary is not under MOE, they are privately run and it should be under MCYS unless things have changed.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pre Primary is not under MOE, they are privately run and it should be under MCYS unless things have changed.

No matter, it stills stinks as primary and secondary schools also have their share of these non-English speaking 2nd Language teachers.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone shed some light on why nowadays many teachers are quitting. Recently, one frd called me out of the blue....asking for job lobang. He was a teacher. Apparently, he quitted his teacher job without a job offer.

When i probed him, he seemed reluctant to share more. :confused:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of teachers I know leave the ministry once their bond is finished to do home tuitioning. Good money, flexible working hours plus no more bullshit like CCA, politics and admin stuff.

mesmerised

Alfrescian
Loyal
If China-born and trained "mother-tongue" teachers cannot reach out to the Singapore students coming from english speaking homes, problem is worse for tamil students...as the teachers continue to copy the teaching methods of Tamil Nadu and the Mother-Tongue HODs have no clue as to what is being dished out in class cos they don't speak tamil themselves!

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The sad fact of the matter is that MOE is filled with incompetence. Look at the so called premier schools today, teachers are leaving by the dozens. The fact is that Principals are completely incompetent and egocentric. All they need to do is the blind side the MOE into believing that they are doing something very revolutionary in education for their schools and then get promoted. MOE has no ability to assess the effectiveness as it needs time. In the meanwhile, these fat incompetent Principals get promoted and move on. They leave a pile of shit behind and the next principle just cancels out everything and start from scratch again.. The students suffer and the tuition centers boom. The principle walks out with a false sense of achievement and dishes out more rubbish but now at a higher level thus corroding the system further. Who checks on this?? No one!! Cluster Superintendents? They are worst. MOE? They are paid to sleep on the job. The Director General, Ho Peng? Nepotistic appointment. If not the system wouldn't be like theses. Oh! They effectively cover the shit with periodic announcement of students'achievements. Usually these are products of tuition centers not schools. Our system is rotting from inside due to gross incompetence from the top. Ministers are like mushrooms fed by MOE- Kept in the dark and fed shit so that he would not be able even to smell the truth. The education minister doe not even know what's happening in the school his son is studying in because the school management manages the son's exposure. Sad fact. I am grateful to Workers'party for punching a hole in the PAP system so that they are threaten and start to wake up. I hope they will look into the truth of our education system before we lose a generation. Hammer!!!!!

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
something worth chewing... 3% of the teachers resign annually... am surprised, really.

source:http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/mps-call-closer-look-private-tuition-industry-0
The % does not tell the true story. It is ok if the system is good and bad ones can't take it and are forced to quit Unfortunately it may be the opposite. The shit remains and accumulates making it ever more unbearable for the good ones, forcing more good ones to quit. It is a vicious cycle.

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth of the matter is that MOE still thinks that foreigners are by birth better that locals. They go all the way to recruit the average ANGmo. Many have no training in teaching but because they are born in countries other than Singapore they are perceived as better and treated like Kings and Queens. Our teachers who are sufficiently competent in English must come after Angmos. Why?? Don't take my word on this. Just get an independent body to check the schools especially those that receive a lot of funding from MOE i.e. premier independent schools that sill receive chucks of taxpayers'funding from MOE. Just check how many good Singapore teachers have left the service to be replaced by untrained foreign born individuals who have no clue at all on teaching. It is our children who suffer. And to add; is this a responsible way to spend tax payers'money? Giving to incompetent foreigners? I have no issues with foreigners but I demand equal treatment based on ability and not on the color of their skin. Get an independent body to run a thorough check. I dare the MOE. Its a north Korea in our Civil service, just be obedient to receive your pay. Don't vouch what's really happening in the system, even if its collapsing. If you do that you're out and they will easily replaced you with a foreigner who will worship them. In our system, Malaysians make it a point to promote their own Malaysians and form alliances to support each other. They cut off the Singaporeans. Do a check on this too. You will be shocked.

SlickJon

Alfrescian
Loyal
teachers nowadays dont see teaching as a worthwhile vocation anymore, what with overprotective parents, spoilt children, excessive admin work eating up curriculum planning and teaching...

i dont blame them for leaving

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
3% of the teachers resign annually...

is it 3% the attrition rate or 3% of those who left the service went into tuition?
what is the attrition rate of the teachers? how many left teaching? be it secondment into other ministries or out of civil service altogether... no one bothered asking?