• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore best place to migrate to: world-wide poll

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore tops the list of most-desired migration destination for the young and educated, according to a new poll.

A total of 350,000 adults in 148 countries were asked in a Gallup poll whether, if given the opportunity, they would like to move permanently to another country, and if so, where.

Based on the poll results, Singapore’s population would grow by a whopping 219 per cent, from its current 5 million to 15 million, if it opened its doors to anyone who wanted to migrate to the city-state.

The results send the Lion City to the top of Gallup’s Potential Net Migration Index, which is measured by subtracting the number of people who want to move out of a country from those who want to move in Singapore. Coming in second is New Zealand followed by Canada and Switzerland.

Singapore is also the only economy in developed Asia – which includes Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan – that would not suffer a brain drain if people around the world can migrate anywhere they want.

In fact, the country would have four times its current number of educated adults, defined as those holding at least a bachelor’s degree. There would also be a six-fold increase in the number of those aged between 15 and 29.

However, The Straits Times reported that the findings comes with two caveats. Firstly, it measures aspirations and not intentions. Second, Singapore’s small population means the impact of the migration shifts is magnified.

This means one million people eyeing Singapore would make a huge difference to its population as compared to say the population of 300 million in the United States. In addition, the report did not give the absolute net number of people who intend to migrate into – or out of – each country.

Still, Singapore is faring well when compared to other countries of similar population sizes.

For instances, Hong Kong, populated with seven million people, would lose 28 per cent of its educated people and 5 per cent of its young people. On the other hand, Norway, with five million people, would see its educated group increase by just 15 per cent.

Research fellow Leong Chan Hoong of the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), who studies migration patterns, said that Singapore’s strong performance is due to its strategic location within Asia.

“Asia, being a dynamic region, is attracting young, talented people hungry for success. And Singapore — compared with Japan and South Korea — is known as a place where we speak English, is safe, and has a good education system.”

The index report also debunks conventional views that Singapore only attracts families while young and single professionals prefer Hong Kong.

According to Dr Leong, this can be accorded to the branding strategies that market Singapore as a dynamic destination.

He added, “With greater investment in arts and entertainment, from the Esplanade to the integrated resorts, Singapore is now more vibrant with attractive lifestyle offerings to global talent.”

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is probably true,Spore is a funny nation,when others are trying desperately to get in,those citizens already inside are trying desperately to get out.

I wish "Singapiore citizenship" COUNTER is floated in the coming combined SEX and Aus exchange,it is worth some good moeny and all wishes shall be fulfilled,

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a land of milk and honey IF and only IF you have $$$.

Those who are truly rich do not waste their $$$ on boring Singapore. It's the New Yorks, Londons, Paris, Tokyos and Hong Kongs of this world that attract the super rich.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
s'pore govt hides alot of singapore's problems from the international community ... foreigners get a false picture of what s'pore really is ...

thats why they want to come here ... we locals know the stinky PAP inside-and-out, so we want to leave ...

many foreigners are shocked by how unhappy the locals are ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we locals know the stinky PAP inside-and-out, so we want to leave ...

Actually alot of Sporeans don't want to leave their home.

They just want to kick out those millionaire civil servants, some who believe the state owes them a better than swiss standard of living:rolleyes:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually alot of Sporeans don't want to leave their home.

They just want to kick out those millionaire civil servants, some who believe the state owes them a better than swiss standard of living:rolleyes:
Actually as far as we can see,majority of Spore voters still support PAP lah.

But I can qualify that elections are free but NOT fair.so it is always a con job and will be .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually as far as we can see,majority of Spore voters still support PAP lah.

But I can qualify that elections are free but NOT fair.so it is always a con job and will be .

Sporeans are busy people, they give little thought to the role of government. Elections were seen as a chore of just voting for the PAP.

The problem is that this has allowed the PAP, and in particular LKY & family to abuse Spore & Sporeans, to entrench themselves & build their fiefdoms.

Its of course harder to fix a problem then to avoid it.

For people like us who've followed the law, taken pay cuts, paid our taxes, contributed our CPF,....now feel betrayed by the PAP for turning Spore into a Lee & Son(s) Spore Inc .

It's taken a global recession & screwups to wake up Sporeans. I think the comming elections will be the beginnings of a push back against the PAP. We'll see what happens but I have my bags already packed just in case nothing changes, I don't want to go down with the ship :smile: