• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

secret societies operated in Singapore in the 1950s and the 1960s

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gangland activities were rampant then.

A gang would control many of the businesses operating in its area - like four-digit lotteries, opium dens, brothels and gambling dens. As some areas were controlled by different gangs, violent clashes often broke out between the groups.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ang Soon Tong - 10-milestone Nee Soon area to end of Sembawang

PxP, lightning strike logo, from causeway to 'ang teng bei tou'...very powderful one you know!....what's Ang Soon Tong!?...it is LEEpublic of Stinkerpore!:biggrin:

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ang Soon Tong - 10-milestone Nee Soon area to end of Sembawang

All these secret societies are deadwood. They did not heed the government's call for upgrading, diverisfication and globalisation.

Nowadays, only retards would join these gay societies.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these secret societies are deadwood. They did not heed the government's call for upgrading, diverisfication and globalisation.

you forgot to mention dogs _ retards and dogs

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's where you are wrong C36, the had upgraded to using laptops to handle their diversified business of loansharking by going global ie; operate from another country. Tax free too. And if you like, I can introduce you to some members of these gay societies and you are free to tell them what you think of them. They are not the Ah Beng type, as a matter of fact, they dress better than the Shenton Way type.:biggrin:

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal

All these secret societies fight the wrong "enemy"..... should have followed the example of the H S Tong who allied themselves with the MIWs..... Not only have they survived but they have thrived and expanded hand in hand with the MIWs doing their dirty work..... H S Tong is unique in that they dun openly recruit members...... you can only join if someone recommends you and u must be a hakka :biggrin:

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's where you are wrong C36, the had upgraded to using laptops to handle their diversified business of loansharking by going global ie; operate from another country. Tax free too. And if you like, I can introduce you to some members of these gay societies and you are free to tell them what you think of them. They are not the Ah Beng type, as a matter of fact, they dress better than the Shenton Way type.:biggrin:

I would like to know some of these people...

Lumpar

Alfrescian
Loyal

A gang would control many of the businesses operating in its area - like four-digit lotteries, opium dens, brothels and gambling dens. As some areas were controlled by different gangs, violent clashes often broke out between the groups.

yeah, YOU don't disturb my territory, and I don't disturb your territory.That was how secret societies operated in Singapore in the 1950s and the 1960s :smile:

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some young kids today consider themselves gangsters but they are no comparisons to those old-time gangsters who did it as a living and who had certain codes of conduct,To me, these kids are just hooligans.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

most of them have educated themselves and became men in whites, screwing you peasants in many ways whenever possible!!

thanks to legalized corruption! we have no corruption!!

no prize in getting right who is the mafia boss!

hey with 3 million lollars per year, who wants to wield parangs and choppers and run amok in streets under the baking sun? tioh boh? :biggrin:

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
"YOU don't disturb my territory, and I don't disturb your territory."

That was how secret societies operated in Singapore in the 1950s and the 1960s. Gangland activities were rampant then.
Mr Harmon Singh recalls "those bad old days":
"When I first joined (the police force) in the beginning of 1959, I found out that secret societies were rampant. Organised crime, secret societies and gangland clashes were almost a daily affair, and there were gangs all over Singapore. Certain areas were worst than others. I got deeply involved in solving crimes and curbing secret society activities."
"In the course of dealing with the underworld, I learned that there were a few major secret society groups in Singapore. The main ones were groups like the 108, 24, 32 and 36, and the triad societies. Each of these major groups had splinter branches under them, for example, the 108 group had gangs like the Pek Kim Leng."
Gangs were divided according to different areas in Singapore. The various gangs and their splinter groups were engaged in protection rackets, vice activities, prostitution and extortion in their respective "territories".
A table of hot-spots for secret society activities: Who control where
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Ang Peh Hor (??)
Jalan Membina, Tiong Bahru
--------------------------------
-Ang Soon Tong
10-milestone Nee Soon area to end of Sembawang
-Hai Lock San
Tiong Bahru, Seng Poh Road
-Leng Hor San
Covent Garden, Havelock Road
-Pek Kim Leng
Bugis, Chinatown
-Sar Ji(jemaah islamiyah?)
Boat Quay, Mohd Sultan, Kim Yam, River Valley Road
-See Tong(See (LOWELL) Tong? xD)
North Bridge Road, Beach Road, former Odeon Theatre area, Seah Street
-Sio Oh Leng
Ganges Avenue, River Valley Road

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the "fairer sex" was not left out. All-women gangs, like the Ang Hor Tiap (or Red Butterfly Gang), were very common during the '60s and the '70s.
"They consisted mainly of cabaret girls, bar girls and hostesses," said Mr Singh. "Usually girls who were jilted by their lovers or who had had some unpleasant experiences with men. They were very mischievous and wild."
Mr Singh said that the women gangs were frequently involved in fights, but they usually did not engage in robberies or housebreaking.
These gangs gave protection to girls working in night-clubs and bars. Their favourite haunts were places like Clifford Pier, Eu Tong Sen Road, Jalan Besar, Tanjong Katong, Geylang and the Capitol Theatre vicinity.
-PEOPLE became gangsters for several reasons.
Some looked upon gangs as a means of making a living, while others were influenced by friends. Some enjoyed the feeling of power of being associated with gangs.
But every new member had to go through the same initiation ceremony.
A finger of the new member would be pricked and the blood collected in a bowl. All the new members would then be required to drink from this bowl. The members also need to swear their allegiance before the Chinese Warrior God.
Mr Harmon Singh said that the gangs at that time adhered strictly to their "code of ethics":
"For example, when something goes wrong in a particular area involving two different secret societies, the headmen of the gangs will arrange for settlement talks.
"One headman will name the place, the other party will name the time. Then they will meet to talk. One party will bring five people, the other will also bring five people. If all goes well, they shake hands and forget about the incident. But sometimes things couldn't be resolved.
"For example, if someone overturns the table, it means that he is unhappy. A curfew is then declared between the two gangs, and from that moment on, if one member is found in a rival gang's territory, there is a high chance that he will be stabbed or beaten up."
The gangs created a lot of problems during the '60s and the '70s. Gangsters were involved in all sorts of illegal activities, extortion, even murders and arson. Fortunately, gangs were gradually wiped out after tougher criminal laws were introduced.
"When a law called Section 55 came into effect -- it helped put a lot of gangsters behind bars," said Mr Singh.
Under the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, or "Section 55" as it is more popularly known, suspected gang members were detained or placed under police supervision without the need for open trials. Victims were allowed to identify gang members from photographs in secret, and not face-to-face.
"Some young kids today consider themselves gangsters but they are no comparisons to those old-time gangsters who did it as a living and who had certain codes of conduct," said Mr Singh. "To me, these kids are just hooligans."
Today, most gang members of the past have already gone clean to start legitimate businesses. Occasionally, Mr Singh still bumps into one or two former gang members whom he had once put in jail. And he even sits down to have coffee with them.
"If not for you," one ex-gangster told him, "I would have gone to prison for much worse crimes, and maybe even hung. I would have been a much more hardened person."

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

modern secret societies, Temasek and GIC...headed by

sisn60l.jpg

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just from personal experience. Was student in Pre-U (JC as it is called today) when racial riots broke out. While making my way home from school along deserted streets strewn with burnt cars when I came across a guy standing at a road junction.

When he saw me, he waved to me to approach him. He told me he is a gangster member and he was assigned to be the lookout. He enquired as to where I was heading.

When I told him my destination, he gave me directions I should take which will be safe from rioters as his gang members have the route he pointed out covered.

I reached home safely, thanks to this guy.

Lumpar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just from personal experience. Was student in Pre-U (JC as it is called today) when racial riots broke out. While making my way home from school along deserted streets strewn with burnt cars when I came across a guy standing at a road junction.

When he saw me, he waved to me to approach him. He told me he is a gangster member and he was assigned to be the lookout. He enquired as to where I was heading.

When I told him my destination, he gave me directions I should take which will be safe from rioters as his gang members have the route he pointed out covered.

I reached home safely, thanks to this guy.

yah, those day gangster they are very helpful, unlike today, you die also no pple hiew you. what happened to our society?