• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

secret societies operated in Singapore in the 1950s and the 1960s

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was very surprised to learn from my campmate in the mid-90s that his grandfather was an opium smoker. He got his daily fixes from a flat in the Redhill/BHS area.

Apparently the CNB knows of this den but leaves it alone since most of the clients are very old men who could just kick the bucket anyday. If the den was raided alot of old addicts would just die painfully.
There is an unofficial referral system that is known to social workers and medical doctors where the dying are selectively referred. This is not something special just in singapore. Most developed countries have something similar where medical marijuana is allowed in selected groupings. The activities are monitored so that the unscrupulous charcters don't take advantge.

Some of the elderly are brought by their well heeled children and dropped off to be picked up later. Like the yellow card system in the "licences brothel" where the brothel can only be passed to another relative, there are some controls.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe you are too young to know, :smile:
it must be a small unknown gang lor
like near the estate i stayed,
one gang, the "18 hai lam kia"
anyone heard before?

They are off shoots right???

Like they still belong to the 18 family.

Only ur esatet ppl would know.

Black2545

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well… I wouldn't say so… MIW actually happy puppy to see them, great to for handling small fish, promote faster else be out of Job how?

All these secret societies are deadwood. They did not heed the government's call for upgrading, diverisfication and globalisation.………

Black2545

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not quite true, if there is profit… they will give Thousand & One reason to Chop Chop U.:p

yeah, YOU don't disturb my territory, and I don't disturb your territory.That was how secret societies operated in Singapore in the 1950s and the 1960s :smile:

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these secret societies fight the wrong "enemy"..... should have followed the example of the H S Tong who allied themselves with the MIWs..... Not only have they survived but they have thrived and expanded hand in hand with the MIWs doing their dirty work..... H S Tong is unique in that they dun openly recruit members...... you can only join if someone recommends you and u must be a hakka :biggrin:

what is H S Tong, anyone know? please explain. thank!

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is true. An old relative of mine took "Ah Pian Sai" to alleviate his medical problem and he can't kick the addiction. His family doctor also advise the family that the old man should not stop taking his daily fixes. Opium also has its medical properties just like morphine.

I was very surprised to learn from my campmate in the mid-90s that his grandfather was an opium smoker. He got his daily fixes from a flat in the Redhill/BHS area.

Apparently the CNB knows of this den but leaves it alone since most of the clients are very old men who could just kick the bucket anyday. If the den was raided alot of old addicts would just die painfully.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard some gansters were recruited into the military police in the early days to handle AWOL and gangsters conscripts.

I was also surprised when I heard that someone became a police inspector when his dad was a ss headman in the past. You think police so efficient to catch thiefs so fast without ss help?

I beg to differ here..... not ALL were picked up.
Those that were willing to do the dirty work of the MIWs were spared.
Some were recruited into the poodles force as Ang Chia troopers and used to whack the other gangsters :biggrin:

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gangland activities were rampant then.

Teary farewell to Darren
By Mavis Toh

MORE THAN 70 family members and friends bade a teary farewell to the 19-year-old polytechnic student who was brutally stabbed to death at Downtown East last Saturday.

Mr Darren Ng Wei Jia was at Downtown East to attend a birthday party when it is believed he got into a staring incident.

Four men aged between 18 and 20 have since been arrested. Three of them were charged in court on Wednesday morning.

At his funeral held at the void deck of his grandmother's flat in Tampines Street 84 on Wednesday afternoon, Mr Ng's father wailed uncontrollably as he said his last words to his son.

'You're only 19, why Darren why? You were supposed to take care of your sister and mother,' he cried while leaning over his son's coffin.

While his friends managed to get away quite unharmed, Mr Ng was repeatedly slashed by a group of chopper wielding youths on his back, arms, legs and most seriously, abdomen. He died several hours later.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wasn't born in that era, but from Police Academy and street folklores, Oh Kim Kee had a bad-ass reputation, simply a gangster and killer. Lim Ban Lim had some good tales about him giving money to poor old folks.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Social workers were also involved to distribute the opium, garmen close one eye but they only give you the opium balls, to ingest not to smoke. Similar to nicotine patches for smokers to quit smoking. No more liao think all the opium addicts die out completely.

zujjkiol

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seven youths assaulted in fight at Bukit Panjang

SINGAPORE: Seven youths, aged between 14 and 20, were assaulted in what was believed to be a gang fight at Bukit Panjang on Monday night, seriously injuring one of them.

Police say the assault first took place at about 10pm at Block 418, Fajar Road - where a 20-year-old man was beaten up and later hospitalised.

Not long after, the group of attackers rained blows on six others near a basketball court at Jelapang Road - some 400 metres from the first site.

The group of attackers were said to be yelling gang slogans, such as "369" - a gang affiliation.

All seven youths were sent to hospital.

Police are investigating.

Residents said there has been a recent spate of youth activities in the area.

"For the past two months, there have been a bunch of kids, youngsters, they are playing skateboard. They make noise all the way through the night, maybe sometimes till 1 to 2am and sometimes to 3 to 4am and we can hear the noise. And there's some motorbikes making noises down there," said a resident.

-CNA/ac

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
during WWII, gangsters joined 星洲义勇军 to fight japanese, the police joined the japanese to work for them. this the main reason police r not respected by the people especially the chinese from older generation.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Hai;85851. But every new member had to go through the same initiation ceremony. A finger of the new member would be pricked and the blood collected in a bowl. All the new members would then be required to drink from this bowl. The members also need to swear their allegiance before the Chinese Warrior God."[/QUOTE said:
Bro, you are truly an expert on SS/Triad matters. Pertaining to the initiation ceremony, this is now being held in certain designated places in M'sia. The blood drinking may not be a good idea with AIDS around.

A very senior prison officer once told me why he treated Section 55 detainees well. When his dad mati, his mum had to sell drinks from a push cart. Those who drink, don't pay, would be beaten by the SS in that area. The SS of that area ensured that its members drink and pay. Not pay and pay! Ask any prisoners in the past and if they don't know the name of this chap, this prisoner can balek kampong.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is true. An old relative of mine took "Ah Pian Sai" to alleviate his medical problem and he can't kick the addiction. His family doctor also advise the family that the old man should not stop taking his daily fixes. Opium also has its medical properties just like morphine.

This opium thing was reported in the papers and i remmebered reading it. Yes most or all of the clients are old men and it's just that circle of ppl that take opium to alleivate their old age problems.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lim Ban Lim was from Lor Tai Seng village. His wife continued to live while he was on the run. CID decided to do round the clock surveillance of the village and wife and it went on for months. One day, Commissioner of Police finds out the the wife is pregnant and all hell breaks lose.

Lor Tai Seng? Sar Ji (32) then.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SS no big deal, especially for mature people who know what's with it and what's in it for them.

Some ex-police and now police are from 32, 24, 18, all over the the place like roulette wheel etc.

Some union leaders even from 369 and politicians even from 洪顺堂 with HK 洪兴邦 associate memberhip.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Peaceful coexistence.

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my time, the typical dresscode of the ah bengs is a follows:

1. Burberrys polo Tee
2. Tapered jeans that goes only till the ankle area (looks as if they bought some cheong versace jeans and due to lousy material, shrink within a few wash)
3. Coverse slip on shoes
4. JPG / Versace long wallet with a sharp-tip comb stuck in the middle.
5. Center parting hair with long fringe and gold or brown highlight.

I don't see anyone dress this awfully anymore. It is good that the chao ah beng has moved on in terms of appearance.....

So, how are they dressed like nowadays?