• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek Holdings wants Temasek Review website to change its name

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why even change the name?

There is no problem to find who owns the website. But the authors can remain anon. So what you have is

1) a guy owning a political blog with servers in the US or overseas - you cannot sue him because he is not responsible for the contents
2) a bunch of bloggers - anon -
3) The web address: Temasek Review

If Joe does own the domain name, he can easily sell it to someone else. Perhaps he can sell it to temasek. But no way temasek can force him to give it up.

BTW Temasekreview.com was registered:

Domain Name: TEMASEKREVIEW.COM
Registrar: DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
Referral URL: http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com
Name Server: NS1.SITELUTIONS.COM
Name Server: NS2.SITELUTIONS.COM
Name Server: NS3.SITELUTIONS.COM
Name Server: NS4.SITELUTIONS.COM
Updated Date: 06-oct-2010
Creation Date: 24-jul-2009
Expiration Date: 24-jul-2011

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Initially this revelation only appears in TNP with a very limited readership.

TR said its great media exposure for them. Now its out in the Straits Times, where I believe its the greatest media exposure that SPH can give TR plus its supported from Temasek Holdings.

TR should be happy over it.

Now if TR is willing to take it even further to the courts, let the whole world know, that's if they dare. :biggrin:

If it really goes to the courts, let all the anonymous donors donate money for the lawsuit. All those in support of TR should bring it to the furthest level by funding them.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their true aim is to screw Dr Joseph Ong... if he is indeed the founder of TR. Kill one to silence all.

TRWatch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Joseph Ong is really screwed. Now that Temasek is taking legal action, he can no longer keep lying, and will have to reveal the truth as to whether he still owns the website or not. Furthermore, he will have to provide proof of transaction if he really sold it to another party. He will also be compelled to reveal all details of the purchaser to Temasek lawyers. But this problem doesn't end there. Read what a lawyer said in CNA report:

A lawyer who spoke to Channel NewsAsia said a lot would depend on if and when both parties acquired trade mark rights in the name "Temasek Review".

The lawyer, who requested anonymity, said: "Although Temasek Holdings (TH) used the name 'Temasek Review' for its annual performance reports since 2004, it did not register this name as a trade mark until November 9, 2009.

"In other words, between 2004 and November 9, 2009, TH has common law rights in the name "Temasek Review" but it is only with effect from November 9, 2009 that it acquired trade mark rights in the name 'Temasek Review'.

"The Wayang Party changed its name to 'Temasek Review' in 2009. The question is whether it changed its name before or after November 9, 2009."

The lawyer added: "If Wayang Party changed its name before November 9, 2009, TH would have to proceed on a claim for passing off.

"In other words, TH has to prove to the court that it has a reputation in the name 'Temasek Review'; that (website) Temasek Review has misrepresented to the public that its on-line publication originated from or is associated with TH; and as a result of the misrepresentation, TH has suffered damages".​

That means, Temasek can still sue him for damages, even if he is not the current owner now.

The name change from Wayang Party to Temasek Review definitely happened before 9 Nov 2009. Check out this blog called Wayang Times which on 2Aug 2009 posted about the name changed.
http://www.wayangtimes.com/wayang-party-is-now-the-temasek-review.html

Furthermore, I heard that some YPAP members are also considering legal action against him pending on information that will be revealed from Temasek's action.

Dr Ong, you are really screwed big time now!

Last edited:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joe Ong thought he is untouchable, and that he has some "high-level" backers behind him. Now with this situation cpoming to the open, his backers might just want to see him dead and so they will not be exposed as well.

Dont be too naive to think that TH cant get TR anywhere in the world. We are talking about trademark issues and hence, TH can do lot more and the court procedings will be very very damaging to whomever is backing Joe and his actions in TR.

Joe ong is just a cannon folder and he think he can get away with anything. I dun think he can get away now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The name is nothing to him. He can give it and start a new site. He has a unique style and people will catch on. Trademark and copyright is the least of his probem.

The issue is that the letter has been served on him personally and not to TR. He has to reply officially. This is where it gets hairy. If he tells a lie, he will always have to watch his back.

Joe Ong thought he is untouchable, and that he has some "high-level" backers behind him. Now with this situation cpoming to the open, his backers might just want to see him dead and so they will not be exposed as well.

Dont be too naive to think that TH cant get TR anywhere in the world. We are talking about trademark issues and hence, TH can do lot more and the court procedings will be very very damaging to whomever is backing Joe and his actions in TR.

Joe ong is just a cannon folder and he think he can get away with anything. I dun think he can get away now.

TRWatch

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is that the letter has been served on him personally and not to TR. He has to reply officially. This is where it gets hairy. If he tells a lie, he will always have to watch his back.

I believe they already know the people involved, but is unable to make them public. They are using Joseph Ong to make them public now. Whether there really is a "Molina Han" from panama, we shall see then. If Joseph lie, and they will know if he is lying, then he will be in deeper shit. So it is better for him to come clean now, then to get into hotter soup later.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe they already know the people involved, but is unable to make them public. They are using Joseph Ong to make them public now. Whether there really is a "Molina Han" from panama, we shall see then. If Joseph lie, and they will know if he is lying, then he will be in deeper shit. So it is better for him to come clean now, then to get into hotter soup later.

If he comes clean, he is screwed

if he doesnt come clean, he is screwed too and so will his backers because they will be exposed as well.

Both ways, Joe ong aint going to get far unless he fled Singapore.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

In times like this, no backer would want to be associated with him. Either all run far far or feign ignorance. This is reality. He needs lots of luck this time

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting times.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not a lawyer so help me understand.

The only issue is who owns the website and stop using that name.

If Joe says I own website and I registered name before TH then what?

Both these facts can be checked.

He cannot be successfully sued for owning a website
He cannot be successfully sued for use of TR name

Now if asked about who contributed to the articles - he could choose to remain silent. Can the local courts force him to reveal the bloggers in a foreign website? Are bloggers like reporters?

Of course the backer would be afraid that they identities be blown by Joe. But if he stands firm what can authorities do? He could transfer his website ownership to some international "press freedom" type foundation and everything remains the same - then what.

I think it would have been better if authorities had not disturbed the nest and just watch and monitored from afar.

The "other side" are watching authorities playbook and come out with countermeasures.

If not careful this could be picked up by foreign media and bloggers.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not a lawyer so help me understand.

The only issue is who owns the website and stop using that name.
If Joe says I own website and I registered name before TH then what?

Both these facts can be checked.

He cannot be successfully sued for owning a website
He cannot be successfully sued for use of TR name

Now if asked about who contributed to the articles - he could choose to remain silent. Can the local courts force him to reveal the bloggers in a foreign website? Are bloggers like reporters?

Of course the backer would be afraid that they identities be blown by Joe. But if he stands firm what can authorities do? He could transfer his website ownership to some international "press freedom" type foundation and everything remains the same - then what.

I think it would have been better if authorities had not disturbed the nest and just watch and monitored from afar.

The "other side" are watching authorities playbook and come out with countermeasures.

If not careful this could be picked up by foreign media and bloggers.

Your reasoning cannot be valid.

I just put it in very simple terms, if you are the owner, you cannot feign ignorance and claim you don't know anything or everything and remain silent.

When you go to court and the judge ask you a question, you can remain silent. And you can guess whether the decision will be in your favour or not.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yay, my prediction is correct, TR is manage by bunch of whimps who gives many excuses when losing, sore losers, PUI!!!!:oIo::oIo:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I own a website that is open to bloggers. I may not know who they are? Sam Leong does not know who you are? If Singapore courts ask me to reveal I say, go get US or EU court to approve release of IP address.

I am not allowed to reveal who these people are since this is a US/EU based company.

In fact if Singapore G as for info from Us ISP, ISP will say no unless with court approval. So how?

After all this is website hosted and registered overseas.

Foreign Gov have heck of a time forcing Singapore banks to reveal bank account info. They actually need treaties and agreements and even so it is translucent at best.

So if Joe said, yes it is my website, I know who the bloggers are but since website and company is foreign I cannot divulge info. If I do, i can be sued overseas. also I say sinagpore courts have no jurisdiction on overseas companies

Your reasoning cannot be valid.

I just put it in very simple terms, if you are the owner, you cannot feign ignorance and claim you don't know anything or everything and remain silent.

When you go to court and the judge ask you a question, you can remain silent. And you can guess whether the decision will be in your favour or not.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
So if Joe said, yes it is my website, I know who the bloggers are but since website and company is foreign I cannot divulge info. If I do, i can be sued overseas. also I say sinagpore courts have no jurisdiction on overseas companies

The action does not have to take place in a Singapore court. If TH were to take any legal action, say in Hongkong, against TR, the ruling would be binding in Hongkong and...if the server is really hosted in Hongkong, that ruling will be even more serious.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
In times like this, no backer would want to be associated with him. Either all run far far or feign ignorance. This is reality. He needs lots of luck this time

He is what is known as a "patsy". After his exposure on 9 Oct 2010, he beccame an expendable liability to be sacrificed if necessary.

If you believe in the "backer" theory, then maybe Dr Ong was not "mad". He was so "obsessed" because he was working for somebody very powerful. He thought he was doing good work and would be rewarded accordingly.

What has happened or is going to happen to Dr Ong would serve as a good warning to the local PAP IB chapter of what can happen if you are no longer useful and become a liability.

If you monitor when TR puts up postings, you will notice something very odd. Most of the new articles, letters etc are posted during office hours from Mon -Fr. There are very few postings after office hours and on the weekends.

If this was the pet project of a single person, why would the new postings follow Singapore office hours?

The fact that Temasek Holdings served the letter gives you a hint of who is fighting with who.