• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A dead man is a good man

S

suicidalpap

SM Jayakumar says late Dr Balaji well-liked by all who knew him

SINGAPORE : Mourning the passing of Dr Balaji Sadasivan, Senior Minister S Jayakumar said Dr Balaji was a caring and sincere person, liked by all who knew him - from Cabinet colleagues to residents in his constituency.

He said Dr Balaji was also pivotal in his work for the Indian community.

"I think as a person I found him to be very caring and sincere, in relation to whoever he dealt with - whether it's a Cabinet colleague or resident or even subordinates in the ministries he was working," said Mr Jayakumar.

"As a colleague, in Cabinet, I think his actions really embody the concept of duty. He had confided in some of us recently that he was actually living from week to week. But yet, he continued with his various duties without any let-up. I found that admirable."

Dr Balaji died early Monday morning, at 1.40am. He was 55 years old.

It is believed Dr Balaji suffered a relapse of cancer, and had been in and out of hospital recently.

S

suicidalpap

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has expressed his condolences on the passing of Dr Balaji Sadasivan.

He said Dr Balaji distinguished himself in many fields - in medicine, the community and the public service.

As a Member of Parliament for Ang Mo Kio GRC, Mr Lee said Dr Balaji's sincerity won him the respect of his grassroots leaders and residents.

He added that Dr Balaji was a dedicated community leader, a distinguished public servant and a humble and dependable colleague and friend.

He also knew him to be friendly, patient and approachable, and could speak several languages, including Mandarin and various Chinese dialects.

Dr Balaji initiated several major projects to serve residents, including a centre to help senior citizens within the neighbourhood age actively and gracefully.

He also built a club-house for neighbourhood committees to strengthen community bonding among the private estate residents and gradually develop a "kampung spirit".

Mr Lee said Dr Balaji was passionate about education and social programmes, in particular for the Indian community.

Dr Balaji was advisor to the Narpani Pearavai, the council for Indian Activity Executive Committees operating at every community club.

Through Narpani, he promoted active citizenry and community bonding activities among the Indian community.

Dr Balaji was also the president of SINDA, and initiated programmes to help disadvan¬taged groups, including single mothers and students who were under-performing in schools. SINDA's Volunteer Development Council and Youth Club were formed when he was president.

Dr Balaji served as Minister of State and Senior Minister of State in several ministries.

At the Ministry of Health, he championed HIV education in schools and workplaces, and initiatives to encourage early and regular HIV testing.

Mr Lee said Dr Balaji was always thinking of ways to improve the situation, and did not shy away from sensitive issues or controversial ideas. He frankly addressed HIV-related stigma in society and the workplace.

Dr Balaji chaired the National AIDS Policy Committee, and remained chairman even after he left the ministry in 2006.

At the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts, Dr Balaji was instrumental in getting the National Arts Gallery off the ground. He developed its early concept and positioning, and oversaw an international competition to find the best design ideas for the gallery.

At the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), Dr Balaji ably represented Singapore at many international meetings. He quickly grasped the competing interests and forces at play, gained a shrewd idea of what the game was about, and upheld Singapore's own interests subtly and resolutely.

As chairman of the World Health Organisation (WHO) Executive Board, he skilfully guided the organisation to accomplish much in global health development, pandemic preparedness and non-communicable diseases, enhancing Singa¬pore's international standing.

"There was a conviction and finality to (Dr) Balaji. When he first entered politics, we encouraged him to continue seeing patients, to keep his hand in as a surgeon. But Balaji soon gave this up. He explained that it would not be fair to his patients, as his knowledge and skills would not be current. He had weighed the options and decided to switch from medicine to politics, knowing fully the risks and consequences. He would give politics his all. It was a typically clear-minded decision," said Mr Lee.

Mr Lee related that Dr Balaji took ill while in the Middle East in 2008.

"He had been travelling intensively on MFA business. When told of his colon cancer, he received the news calmly, though as a doctor he knew what it meant. He researched the drugs and treatments that he was receiving with scientific detachment, and remained cheerful and positive. He explained to me that he had lived a good life, was blessed with a happy and supportive family and had been able to make a contribution to society. His serenity and acceptance were deeply moving to all his friends and colleagues," said Mr Lee.

Despite his illness, Mr Lee said Dr Balaji carried on with his duties.

Mr Lee said: "Earlier this year, he came to see me. He told me that he had put in order arrangements in Cheng San-Seletar, and implemented renewal plans in the grassroots. He asked me to see these plans through if anything happened to him. He also thanked me for having given him the opportunity to serve.

"I responded that it was for me to thank him for his dedication and contribution. I last saw him two weeks ago in Parliament, when he told me his condition had taken a turn for the worse, and again assured me that he had made the necessary arrange¬ments in his division. I was very touched that despite his illness, his mind was still on his responsibilities to residents."

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP regime really overly staffed !

One PAP dept can have so many MPs in Charge .

Just look at YOG, you see the Teo suay luck , and miss Vivian, both are doing the same thing.
And they are still many beside them doing the same thing !

They can say all they want----yes it is true.......a dead man is a good man !

All the talk cock is about winning votes !