• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A country par excellence

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sep 28, 2010
A country par excellence

WE VIVIDLY remember the time when my wife and I lived in Singapore between 1990 and 1998. There were many government initiatives, such as the annual courtesy campaign to encourage Singaporeans to be more courteous and friendly.

During our recent visit here this month, we noticed a big change.

More important than the impressive physical, world-class developments was the high quality of service: from the taxi drivers, the hawkers and the chain cafe outlets, to the fine dining restaurants and hotels.

My wife and I travel widely and, in our view, the service industry in Singapore has truly evolved into world-class status; certainly the best in South-east Asia today.

The simple smile, the welcome greetings, the friendly nature and especially the product knowledge of those who served us were the highlights of our recent visit.

One experience in particular was our stay at the Shangri-La Hotel. The duty manager and staff, after learning we were here for medical reasons, went out of their way to extend us the best care and service.

The doctors and staff at Gleneagles Hospital could not have been better. My wife received the best medical treatment yet, and we truly enjoyed the genuine care from the nicest and friendliest medical professionals around.

Walking along North Bridge Road, Chinatown and Tanjong Pagar, fellow pedestrians were kind and helpful when we asked for directions.

Perhaps the only aspect that remained the same was the car-sickness-inducing driving by cabbies who still drove like they were racing to the finish line through a complicated slalom course.

Be that as it may, Singapore was a welcome change. Our compliments to Singaporeans who have made our stay wonderful and memorable. We shall certainly be back.

Medardo Cadiz
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_583793.html

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
WE VIVIDLY remember the time when my wife and I lived in Singapore between 1990 and 1998.
Medardo Cadiz
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Frankly, I am more impress with the standard of living back in the 90s then fast forward 10 years to now. Dollar for dollar I get at least 1.5 times more in value then.

I really wonder how this article is going to impress any readers? You are talking about a rich Arab couple, probably have millions in their suit cases, coming to stay in our best hotel, Shangri-la, and coming to Gleneagles for medical treatment.

Trying writing about a poor Indonesian coming over here with the same intention, with nothing more then a few dollars for meals, let alone be able to afford a night in Hotel 81. And if they are impress, that will be a real story.