• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pongol Parsi Ris residents welcome to Sai Chwee shit water sea

Sai_Tang

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/09/07/refrain-from-swimming-at-pasir-ris-beach-nea/

Refrain from swimming at Pasir Ris beach: NEA
By Ion Danker – September 7th, 2010
Email Facebook Twitter Print
Pasir Ris beach

The National Environment Agency (NEA) is advising the public to refrain from swimming at Pasir Ris beach after issuing its annual water quality review of Singapore’s six recreational beaches.

In its latest water quality assessment at Singapore’s beaches, Pasir Ris beach was given a ‘fair’ grade under the more stringent World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines while Sentosa Island, Seletar Island, Sembawang Park, Changi and East Coast Park were graded ‘very good’ or ‘good’ for primary contact activities.

The latest grading for Pasir Ris beach found 7% of the collected samples had enterococcus counts greater than 200 per 100 ml, compared to 8% in 2009. Enterococcus is a type of bacteria found in human and animal faeces.

Pasir Ris beach has been rated unsuitable for water activities since 2008 as the water quality is affected by various possible sources, including minor leakage from older sewers, moored vessels, animals and discharges from small-scale sewage treatment plants (STPs) in remote areas of Pasir Ris.

In a statement released by NEA on Tuesday, it advised the public from swimming at Pasir Ris beach until the next review in August 2011.

Some beach-goers Yahoo! Singapore spoke to were surprised by the findings.

Said undergraduate Steven Chin, 24, “I never expected Paris Ris to be deemed as unsafe for swimming because it looks fine from the shore.”

Beauty consultant Suzanne Luah, 27, agreed. She said, “I never thought our beaches are not safe because I still see people swimming at Pasir Ris.”

Civil servant Mohd. Yazid, 31, hopes NEA will help make the beach safe for activities. He said, “It’s a pity that we have such a nice beach here and we can’t enjoy it, but I think safety is very important and hopefully the green light will soon be given by the authorities for us to swim there.”

To help improve the water quality at Pasir Ris beach, the Public Utilities Board (PUB) has an ongoing plan to extend the sewer network and phase out the 39 STPs in the Halus/Tampines, Changi and Selerang areas by 2012.

Under PUB’s ongoing sewer rehabilitation programme for aging sewers in the area, 23km of sewers will be rehabilitated by 2011.

NEA added that it will continue to closely monitor the water quality at Pasir Ris beach and inform the public of the updated beach gradings in their next annual review.

We’re in the process of migrating our comments system to another platform to better engage with you; comments may be disabled during this migration process. Stay tuned for further Fit-to-Post updates.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pasir Ris has not been safe for as long as I recall. This is the result of a combination of:
  • pig farms in Johor;
  • the geography - Pasir Ris is a natural bay which would collect waster from Singapore and across the causeway; and
  • the fact that there is no westward clearance of waste because of the causeway blocking any westward flow of water.

Maybe it is time to build a bridge!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pasir Ris has not been safe for as long as I recall. This is the result of a combination of:
  • pig farms in Johor;
  • the geography - Pasir Ris is a natural bay which would collect waster from Singapore and across the causeway; and
  • the fact that there is no westward clearance of waste because of the causeway blocking any westward flow of water.

Maybe it is time to build a bridge!

Yes. Is time to build the bridge. So many industrial in Pasir Gudang(JB) and Sembawang(SG). No water can flow thru and all the sediment and pollution stuck forever in Johore strait.