• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

yawningbread defended PAP's FT poilcy

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
To make a better distinction between citizen and foreigner, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong promised $9,000 to every National Serviceman, payable at three defined milestones. Why nine? Why not ten, or 75? In any case, as a solution to the hoary issue of unhappiness with the numbers of foreigners and immigrants in Singapore, I thought this (or any amount) rather strange, but it didn’t take long for me to see it as a pre-election give-away in disguise.

Nonetheless, he spent a large part of his National Day Rally speech — Singapore’s equivalent of a State of the Republic address — dealing with the issue of foreigners in our midst, and to a large extent, he grappled with the key elements of it, explaining why foreigners were needed and expressing sympathy for the feelings of dislocation that resulted. He understood, he said, that people were “still concerned about competition for jobs, about crowding, and deeper things about the character of our society.” However, he offered nothing new by way of solutions.

Evidently, the open-door policy is going to continue, albeit some moderation would be in store. Saying, “Now we should consolidate and slow down the pace,” he estimated this year’s intake to be in the region of 80,000 instead of the earlier-announced 100,000.

It is still a biggish figure, representing an increase of about 1.5 percent of the population already here. Nonetheless, the government appears confident that “Singaporeans [will] understand logically if we argue it out with them why we need foreign workers,” in Lee’s words.

Many readers may not like me for saying this, but I more or less agree.

My feeling is that the People’s Action Party (PAP) has a better reading of the ground than one can glean from just looking at the blogosphere. If one looks only at what’s written on the ‘net, one would think that there was widespread and extreme frustration with the influx of foreigners. But over the last few months, I have also taken the opportunity whenever I could, to ask people, face to face, what they thought of foreign workers and immigration.

The responses were not aligned with internet sentiment. Almost all the people I have spoken to on this subject didn’t have strong feelings about it. They generally accepted that Singapore today cannot function without significant numbers of foreigners doing jobs ranging from the menial to the sophisticated. Without foreigners, our trash would go uncollected, our hospitals would grind to a halt, our bus frequencies reduced, and queues at retail check-out counters lengthen maybe twice as long.

They were all aware of the complaints, but it was striking how many of them referred to the complainers (apologies, for want of a better word) in the third person: “they”, “some people say”, and so on.

This is not to pretend that the people I spoke with are representative of Singaporeans as a whole, but at the very least, I think the frequency with which I encountered these relatively mild views contests the idea that anti-foreigner sentiment is very widely held.

Nonetheless, even if they are not the majority, those with grouses against the intake of foreigners have legitimate concerns. Lee himself conceded that. They however, don’t do themselves much of a service by failing to articulate clearly what exactly their concerns are. Very likely, there are different subgroups with different concerns, but to the listener, it’s difficult to tell them apart. This is especially when expressions of frustration tend to have these characteristics:

emotive, sometimes xenophobic language

complaints about job discrimination tend to be notional rather than backed by ground examples

often linked to ranting about military service

occasionally linked to anti-People’s Action Party cries

Different groups impact on Singaporeans in different ways, and I would encourage those with grievances to articulate clearly which group you are talking about and how exactly that group produces the concerns that you have. To help the dialogue along, let me sketch out the main groups:

Work Permit Holders – they tend to be low-paid, doing the jobs that very few Singaporeans want to do, mostly in sanitation, construction, shipyards and domestic caregiving. Their numbers however are relatively huge. With the exception of domestic workers, the government uses a “Dependency ratio” to control their numbers, i.e. a company cannot have foreign workers exceeding x percent of its workforce. Employers must also pay a monthly levy. Furthermore, only certain sectors are permitted to hire Work Permit Holders.

To those who are “anti-foreigner”, the question is this: What exactly do you want? Reduce their numbers? How are we going to get the 16,000 and 22,000 new flats that the Housing and Development Board (HDB) plans to build this year and next? How do we get our new metro lines built? Who will look after our kids and aged parents? If you accept that, no, we cannot realistically reduce their numbers, then the fact will be that the total numbers of foreigners will not be significantly lower, because Work Permit Holders are the bulk of them. My rough estimate is that there are perhaps about one million of this category here.

S-Pass and Employment Pass Holders – The S-Pass is for those with a technical qualification or diploma earning between S$1,800 and S$2,500 a month, and the Employment Pass is for those earning over S$2,500 a month. As far as I can see from the Ministry of Manpower’s website, the S-Pass is subject to a dependency ratio, but not the Employment Pass.

My guess is that this is the group that causes the most unease. Herein probably lies concerns about competition for jobs. More generally, the ready availability of Employment Passes (no dependency ratio) can have a dampening effect on salaries. The government, for its part, hardly releases any data that can help clarify the situation: we don’t know how many such passes are issued, we don’t know what salaries are paid to this group.

Permanent Residents – a portion of Employment Pass Holders and the families decide to become Permanent Residents after living a while here. The numbers involved have grown fast. Permanent Residents numbered 112K in 1990, 287K in 2000 and now stands at 541K in 2010, roughly doubling every decade.

Permanent Residents compete for resale HDB flats, places in schools, etc.

New Citizens – A proportion of Permanent Residents eventually decide to apply for citizenship. I’m not able to find consistent data over many years as to the numbers involved, but a report in AsiaOne indicated that we will need about 20,000 new citizens each year to top up the shortfall in our birthrate. (AsiaOne, 20 July 2010, 20,000 new citizens needed every year)

The question of new citizens brings along issues such as the racial balance — Lee referred to this in his Malay speech — and the equity of National Service, among other things.

I’m not going to be able to discuss in detail the various issues each category raises without making this essay hopelessly long. For now, the purpose is simply to point out that the multi-faceted issue of foreign workers and immigration is amenable to dialogue, understanding and resolution provided all parties articulate clearly what they want, pinpointing which category of foreigners they are referring to, and provided the government is more transparent about data.

It is not an issue of People versus Government. A significant number of Singaporeans, maybe even a majority, are not up in arms over the issue, even if they are uneasy over specific aspects of it.

And one more thing: I also feel our opposition parties should be clearer what ideas they have about this issue. It is not impressively responsible, in my view, to be standing on the sidelines egging the unhappy individuals on without themselves offering some coherent thoughts about a matter that is crucial to Singapore. They could start, for example, by saying something about what they would do about the abysmally low birthrate that is one of the root causes of our need for immigration.

http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/09/03/my-beady-eyes-over-lees-numbers-part-2/#more-2166

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One should not be suprised. Its the same complex that most human beings have in common. Its the same complex that Besotted and Shelltox have. They rely on FTs for their livelyhood and thus know their value. We tend to address our needs and that of our friends, relatives and acquaintenaces than society.

If the PAP had done this properly, we would not have been divisive and the intelligentsia won't be migrating.

I am sure if Singaporeans did not face structural unemployments and do not see FT abuses such as bondbreaking, xenophobic behaviour, rudeness etc, we won't be in this state getting upset with FTs.

Interestingly he also clutches at straws asking how the opposition is addressing the low birth rate. Even the govt can't seem to fix and with the FT competition constantly in their face, no couple can afford to take time from work less they lose their place. The male singaporean is already is at a disadvantage with reservist liability.

Last edited:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unhappiness about FT is pretty simple.

1) Singapore citizens have to spend 2 years of their lives doing NS and in return they got $9K. Why not offer that $9 to FTs and see how many are willing to do that. They probably cannot afford to live on $9K + NSmen pay. Not to mention that the $9K goes into CPF. They should get an independent company to value how much 2 years NS contribution is to each citizen - in terms of loss of pay, career opportunities (Singaporeans still have to compete with FT on alevel playing field. - the 25 year old Singaporean would have up to 3 years less work experience than the FT. heck that FT might even have used that 3 years for a NUS MBA under a Gov scholarship while the Singaporean is playing soldier under the hot sun). I think the lost wages, opportunities easily run into the 6 figure range over a person's lifetime.

I think in return for NS obligation, they should offer free healthcare - as a veteran, market rate wages, interest free study loans for all NS men, priority for getting into civil service.

Singaporeans are unhappy because there is inequailty and so far the amounts offered are pathetic at best.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unhappiness about FT is pretty simple.

1) Singapore citizens have to spend 2 years of their lives doing NS and in return they got $9K. Why not offer that $9 to FTs and see how many are willing to do that. They probably cannot afford to live on $9K + NSmen pay. Not to mention that the $9K goes into CPF. They should get an independent company to value how much 2 years NS contribution is to each citizen - in terms of loss of pay, career opportunities (Singaporeans still have to compete with FT on alevel playing field. - the 25 year old Singaporean would have up to 3 years less work experience than the FT. heck that FT might even have used that 3 years for a NUS MBA under a Gov scholarship while the Singaporean is playing soldier under the hot sun). I think the lost wages, opportunities easily run into the 6 figure range over a person's lifetime.

I think in return for NS obligation, they should offer free healthcare - as a veteran, market rate wages, interest free study loans for all NS men, priority for getting into civil service.

Singaporeans are unhappy because there is inequailty and so far the amounts offered are pathetic at best.

There is no level playing field for the Singaporean male. First and foremost the 2 years of NS already puts them in a disadvantaged position, what more the reservist liability.

Secondly, the FT's that are coming in, are here to compete directly with Singaporeans for jobs. Bear in mind most of them comes in at the lower and middle management post, another few more years when most of them move up to the upper management, I am sure you will see they will be brininging in their own kind. Not to say that I fault them, but this is call taking care of your own kind, that is sorely lacking in Singaporean's.

By then, it will be too late with the FTs even more deeply entrenched in the companies and even possibility in the civil service they worked in. Frankly, I am worried for the Singaporean's children, as they will be the generation that will be growing up and looking for jobs in the next 5 to 10 years only to find that they have become a minority in their own country and most of the jobs have gone to the FTs. A scary but very plausible situation

gohsanho

Alfrescian
Loyal
To those who are “anti-foreigner”, the question is this: What exactly do you want? Reduce their numbers? How are we going to get the 16,000 and 22,000 new flats that the Housing and Development Board (HDB) plans to build this year and next? How do we get our new metro lines built?

The writer should just sit back and use a little more of the memory (or brain). We do not have this over crowding problem before the population increase. We do not need to built so many flats or so many mrt lines if the population have not increase in the first place. We may have to think of which flats to knock down not buit.
The over crowding problems is cause by ft policy and pm even acknowledge that but want sgrean to bear with it.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this whole singapore story reminds me of the real life pedophile case on nbc "cracked: case of the missing girl (for 22 years)".

the victim was a teenage girl while the accused was a middle aged man who had been convicted on numerous occasions of rape, abduction and pedophilia. even when the case went cold for 2 decades, the man continued to torment the girl's family, manipulated the justice system, manipulated his own family, manipulated everyone around him, including lawmen, attorneys and especially his victims and victims' families. pure evil manipulator of the highest order. even the whole justice system had to negotiate with him concerning the whereabout of the girl's body. with that trump card, he was able to wield control of everyone related to the girl who wanted closure. he didn't want closure and wanted the family of the girl to suffer in ignorance till they all bring their sorrow and pain to their graves. even after burying the girl's body in an unmarked grave, he wanted possession and control of the girl by burying with her his necklace. it took a couple of detectives and several years to crack this case, in which a well known psychic was sought. it was emotionally draining for all, including those who watched the documentary. at the end, he got life for 1st degree murder, but he mentioned about not opening "pandora's box" in jail. the prime detective on the case suspected that perhaps he (the devil) meant more bodies could be discovered if pandora box was opened.

sinkies are dealing with the great grand manipulator (and hostage taker) here, and normally victims who are been manipulated and being held hostage don't know the danger or tend to live in denial or become sympathetic to the abuser. you call it stockholm syndrome; i called it sinkie syndrome - it's a new definition.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I talk to people on the street, I get a direct opposite result. More than 90% are unhappy most blame the PAPies for the problems. Sometimes they need to understand that the FTs are causing the problems with transportation, halthcare and education. Then $60 billion will be spent to accommodate the FTs with an upgraded MRT system.

We have to open their eyes and ask that they vote for their future. It is very true that the next GE is a watershed for Singapore and Singaporeans. Either we retake our country or we allow the PAP to give it away.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the fact that Alex Au does not see it does go towards a state of denial. It has come to that.

sinkies are dealing with the great grand manipulator (and hostage taker) here, and normally victims who are been manipulated and being held hostage don't know the danger or tend to live in denial or become sympathetic to the abuser. you call it stockholm syndrome; i called it sinkie syndrome - it's a new definition.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are not the only ones complaining and up in arms against immigrants swamping their cities in humongous numbers. US, Europe, Australia are examples. They make their anger clearly shown by demonstrations, street protests, violence against foreigners etc.

Alex doesnt get enough dissenting inputs because the PAP govt monopolises the media, society and every avenue of expression. People get to hear only the good things about FTs that the PAP says, and in turn, Alex are talking to these people who listen to only one side of the story.

Immigration is what the PAP and govts want, perhaps out of economic or political imperative; everywhere it seems that not necessary that that's what the People also want as well. So govts have to convince, persuade the People that's what's good for them, and manage it well.

Singaporeans feel anger because the PAP has screwed it up. Why werent the housing programmes aligned with the influx? Why werent there adequate jobs for foreginers as well as citizens? Why do the locals have to fight the foreigners for jobs, living space, schools, hospitals and recreational amenities etc? How does Alex expect people to feel grateful and happy and appreciative when their interests are trampled upon to accommodate these arrivals? More so, when news abound of how these new arrivals are just using Singapore as a stepping stone, are brought in to appease employers with cheap labour to protect them from losses at the expense of local workers, are breaking bonds after coming here etc.

Given Alex's capabilities and stature, surely we could expect him to dig deeper to help Singaporeans articulate the problems in a more coherent way, if we all seem pretty like so many disparate islands of info and disaffection.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
this has degenerated into a string of personal attacks on Alex, and nobody has actually directly addressed the points that he's raised. it's very interesting - people here starting out with a closed mind and preconceived notions about FT, at the same time posturing themselves as more enlightened than the typical naive Singaporean.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
And what do you think you are doing yrself? Aren't you degenerating into an attack on those people here who 'attack' Alex?

this has degenerated into a string of personal attacks on Alex, and nobody has actually directly addressed the points that he's raised. it's very interesting - people here starting out with a closed mind and preconceived notions about FT, at the same time posturing themselves as more enlightened than the typical naive Singaporean.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is not true. You have missed the issues raised or chose to avoid seeing it. The fact the PAP ministers are constantly talking about FTs and the need to accommodate them suggest that there is a groundswell of discontent. Why then are PAP MPs constantly addressing the unhappiness issues. Why then is that State media putting out articles showing the positive side of FTs.

Then out of the blue, Alex makes a comment that FTs are beneficial. That is not issue. The issue is his claim that the people he talked to did not find FTs an issue.

Who then are complaining. Note even the oppressive PAP has not made the claim that no one is complaining.

Get the message.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
You started this primary school stuff. Why dont you give us yr concrete stuff?

Everybody's a genius when it comes to question others an answer.

I see we're still at primary school stuff and "you started it"s. I think we can all agree that you don't have a good reply to Alex's points, and leave it at that.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't deny there's a groundswell of discontent. I don't think Alex was confident of saying his survey sample was representative either. That wasn't his whole argument.

The other part of his argument is that people may be discontented but don't really know what the hell they're unhappy about, or may not themselves have solid reasons to be unhappy about FTs, or may be wrongly unhappy about FTs when other factors are really at fault for their lot. You guys seem to have glossed over the second half of his article. Many people may be unhappy about FT but often they can't provide actual evidence of themselves being affected, or jobs being stolen from them. People may just be using FT as a convenient scapegoat for their own failures. You go on the Internet and read those rants against FTs and realise that 99% of them can't cite personal anecdotes of the impact of FTs on their livelihoods.

We need to make the distinction between people who are unhappy about FTs and people who are actually being materially affected by FTs. I suspect the first group is much larger than the second. People can complain about things in order to vent even if they're not affected. Too often you people love working under the assumption that the PAP must be lying and the average Singaporean must be completely honest. How amusing, considering we, PAP or not, are all made of the same stuff.

But I agree that people's points about overcrowding etc are true, and Alex did conveniently ignore those obvious effects. Perhaps he doesn't take public transport.

That is not true. You have missed the issues raised or chose to avoid seeing it. The fact the PAP ministers are constantly talking about FTs and the need to accommodate them suggest that there is a groundswell of discontent. Why then are PAP MPs constantly addressing the unhappiness issues. Why then is that State media putting out articles showing the positive side of FTs.

Then out of the blue, Alex makes a comment that FTs are beneficial. That is not issue. The issue is his claim that the people he talked to did not find FTs an issue.

Who then are complaining. Note even the oppressive PAP has not made the claim that no one is complaining.

Get the message.

Last edited: