• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I'm Ang Moh and proud to call Singapore home

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100810-231279.html

Tue, Aug 10, 2010
my paper

20100810.092121_myp.jpg

I'm Ang Moh and proud to call Singapore home

THIS year's National Day was truly a special one for me. Sure, it wasn't the first time I'd watched the National Day Parade (NDP) - I attended one back in 2004.

However, yesterday's parade was the first one I viewed as a bona-fide Singapore citizen.

You see, I was formerly an American from Pampa in Texas, but I gave it up to take on Singapore citizenship last year.

I moved to Singapore with my parents when I was 15 years old and stayed for four years before going back to the United States. I graduated from the Singapore American School.

As I grew up in Singapore, it holds a special place in my heart. It was always a place I wanted to return to and live in.

Once I came back in 2003 with my wife, Susan, 48, we applied for permanent-resident status straight away.

Susan was also here when she was 12 years old and graduated from Singapore American School as well.

I was then invited twice by the Government to apply for citizenship.

by the third go-around I decided to go ahead and submit my application.

I've been a citizen since last June.

This is the place I plan to live in for the rest of my life and where I want to raise my daughter, Asia, who's nine years old.

We own a home here and I have no desire to go back to the US. Most of my family are here as well.

I have returned to the US a few times since I got my Singapore passport, and sometimes I jokingly say that it's easier for me to enter the US now than it was as an American citizen.

My biggest frustration is that most people assume the reason I gave up my American citizenship was because of the high income-tax rate there, but it wasn't a big reason for me.

I was feeling a bit cynical and disillusioned with the US, its policies and Americans' attitudes.

Society there faces challenges but I don't live there, so it's hard for me to effect change.

Here, I identify with the people, the society and its moral values - this is where I want to be.

As long as I live here, I want to be a part of Singapore and to be involved in every little way that I can.

So, this year, I'm proud to have been a part of something special. Not only did I watch the parade as a new citizen, but my daughter and I also helped kick off the show by roaring down the parade square on a swanky Harley-Davidson bike along with fellow members of the Harley Owners Group here.

It was definitely a parade that is very dear to me.

Yesterday, I woke feeling excited at 7.30am and immediately thought about getting prepared and washing my bike.

At 2pm, I set off with Asia to meet up with the gang at the Harley-Davidson dealership in Alexandra Road. We then regrouped at Beach Road at 3pm to get ready before heading off to the Padang at 5pm.

At gate 4, Asia and I waited in anticipation for our drive-in at 5.45pm.

We've gone to every rehearsal since they began six weeks ago, so I was glad to see it all come together.

The NDP gave us an opportunity to understand more about Singapore's military, its society and its people.

I cheered and took photos when the Red Lions landed. I also applauded with gusto when the planes flew overhead.

I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride seeing the participants, the fly-past, the paratroopers and the mobile column.

This is a part of who we are and what we are.

And my favourite part of the NDP? Every time the national flag is flown.

This year, when the helicopters flew by with the flag, tears literally came to my eyes. It's a symbol of our identity and what we stand for.

Although some people here might still call me an ang moh, it doesn't faze me one bit.

I'm truly a Singaporean - I love the spicy food, the hawker centres here and I'm even a tad kiasu. And sitting there, surrounded by a sea of red, made me feel more of a Singaporean than ever.

So, from a citizen to my country: Happy birthday, Singapore.

Gregory Rutledge is the director of Candy Stand, a company which installs and operates chocolate vending machines.

For more my paper stories click here.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am an ang moh and I live in Singapore, I will love Singapore too.

Here are the reasons:

The service staff treat me like a God.

The Singaporean women worship me.

If I ride a scooter, I am seen as romantic and manly. (Does not apply to locals)

I can be a CEO or director of a company just by being white.

I can pick up any woman in the pub and do ONS anytime.

I don't need to worry about housing since the company always give me a condo to live in.

I don't need to be rich to attract local women, just be white.

Even if I screw up, locals will cover my backside.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
fetch_image

Work/Education
Work Experience

Candy Stand Pte / Director of Business Development
December 2009 - Present
MagiNet Pte / Chief Technology Officer
April 1996 - December 2009
Acquired by DOCOMO interTouch Pte. Ltd., February 2008
MagiNet Pte / Chief Technology Officer
Acquired by DOCOMO interTouch Pte. Ltd., February 2008
DOCOMO interTouch Pte / Chief Technology Officer
Acquired MagiNet Pte. Ltd. in February 2008

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
when the time is ripe, when he earn enough... he will bring his whole family & move to some other place & call it home.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
You see, I was formerly an American from Pampa in Texas, but I gave it up to take on Singapore citizenship last year.

It is still easy for him, if SG falls, he can cabut back to US and apply to reinstate his US citizenship

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
An Ang Mo will treat Singapore the same way they treat an SPG. Read previous posts if you dunno how they treat SPG.

If he has been dreaming about living in S'pore for the past 30 years, why did it take "3 invitations" for him to decide to take up citizenship?

Why "invite" someone who is past his peak and going downhill to be a citizen? 3 times somemore............this is worst than whoring.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can these ang mohs be proud of a country run by a dictator? How can the ang moh be proud that political opponents of the PAP are incarcerated for 10 and or nearly 30 years?

These ang moh's don't know anything about Singapore! :oIo:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when the time is ripe, when he earn enough... he will bring his whole family & move to some other place & call it home.

Did he pledge that his son (s) will do National Service for SINgapore, then I am very proud of him & welcome him as a citizen of SINgapore..so far I have not hear any of these propaganda trash by Shit times, these new citizen ever mentioned that MY SON (S) will SERVE NATIONAL SERVICE....:mad:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did he pledge that his son (s) will do National Service for SINgapore, then I am very proud of him & welcome him as a citizen of SINgapore..so far I have not hear any of these propaganda trash by Shit times, these new citizen ever mentioned that MY SON (S) will SERVE NATIONAL SERVICE....:mad:

The red-haired man has only a daughter, so, no chance.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't need to worry about housing since the company always give me a condo to live in.

This one is not so true. Due to the unimpressive economy in recent years many mat sallehs who come here posted or otherwise put up in public housing projects.

And, some of them are also seen participating in the local lottery outlets holding 4D tickets in their hands.

Kindly reevaluate your 80s way of thinking.:p

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When ang moh are here , they call it home..
when asians at their home country, they racist against asians...

knnbccb ang moh ! :oIo::oIo::oIo:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah!! gave up amercian passport to get Lee family passport and to watch "jobs for foreigner and NS for sinkies" parade. The soldier marching are sinkies and spectators foreigners.

what a blooding waste. i cry his sons and daughters.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20100810-231279.html

I have returned to the US a few times since I got my Singapore passport, and sometimes I jokingly say that it's easier for me to enter the US now than it was as an American citizen.

My biggest frustration is that most people assume the reason I gave up my American citizenship was because of the high income-tax rate there, but it wasn't a big reason for me.

For more my paper stories click here.

Every year they find some ang moh who is happy to live here but this time they found somone still living in the 1990s. What he states is not true:

1) All American citizens can proceed directly to the blue line at entry points in the US which is much faster and easier than for non citizens.

2) Bush cut US taxes dramatically , now 40% of all Americans pay 0 tax and most pay 10-15% income taxes. Under the Reagan/Clinton Years Americans paid much, much higher taxes but that was 10 years ago.

When will the SG press stop lying to us? How stupid do they think we are?