• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The New Plasma TV vs LCD

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
LG, Samsung and Panasonic have recently rolled out new 'Plasma' TVs which prices are lower than existing LCDs. A 42" panel costs less than SGD 1K. Obviously it's because the in-thing now is LED.

So are people still buying LCD now that Plasma is so much cheaper ?

(CRT advocates please do not post your comment.)

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think people are looking at 3D TV now..

LCD LED OR PLASMA..
The performance level is not obvious to the ordinary guy..

3D TV is another paradigm though..
But doubt it will take flight so quickly

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think people are looking at 3D TV now..

LCD LED OR PLASMA..
The performance level is not obvious to the ordinary guy..

3D TV is another paradigm though..
But doubt it will take flight so quickly

You missed the point completely.

I'm not after the latest gadgets; I'm after cheap bargains ! No CRT please because I want something that can blend in with my furniture and small living room.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
You missed the point completely.

I'm not after the latest gadgets; I'm after cheap bargains ! No CRT please because I want something that can blend in with my furniture and small living room.

If you are buying in Taiwan, just go to Pchome.com.tw

Call in to ask for advice or browse their products on the website

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are buying in Taiwan, just go to Pchome.com.tw

Call in to ask for advice or browse their products on the website

No, I'm planning to get one in Thailand. Just that all of sudden a 42" has become so cheap, so I'm getting a bit suspicious. I wonder if there is any substantive difference between the old Plasma and the new ones in terms of technology.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I'm planning to get one in Thailand. Just that all of sudden a 42" has become so cheap, so I'm getting a bit suspicious. I wonder if there is any substantive difference between the old Plasma and the new ones in terms of technology.

best deal is to get a 2nd hand 1 from Cash Convertors in Sg. Cash Convertors is a treasure trove if you know your tech well. I managed to get a HDD recorder for only $130. An equivalent new one retails for about $400.

The thing though is that you need to know your tech. In the same shelf, they try to makan people by selling SVCD players for $80.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are asking if you should buy plasma or LCD, the answer is go for plasma if it is for home entertainment use ie. watching TV and video

The difference between plasma and LCD is they are two competing technologies like VHS vs Betamax or Blu-Ray vs HDD.

Plasma is a better choice for home entertainment because plasma has the better picture quality in normal to low room lighting conditions over the LCD. LCD works best in bright conditions, so LCD are generally better for public display such as airport signage and retail store signage due to the bright room light environment. In the home, lighting is more from normal to low light so plasma is recommended.

Plasma is also good for their performance with fast-moving images and high contrast levels - best for action movies or Grand Prix viewing.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are asking if you should buy plasma or LCD, the answer is go for plasma if it is for home entertainment use ie. watching TV and video

Thanks. The new Plasma is really a steal - $900 for 42" model. When it first came out, my friend bought a LG Plasma for $5K.

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal

Plasma is also good for their performance with fast-moving images and high contrast levels - best for action movies or Grand Prix viewing.

I have heard plasma tv got expiry date...... wats the lifespan before need to replace with new tv?

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have heard plasma tv got expiry date...... wats the lifespan before need to replace with new tv?

This depends on the manufacturer - previously, plasma manufacturers claim a screen life of 60,000 hours but now with newer models, they claim 100,000 hours of screen life.

How long is 100,000 hours? If you turn on your plama TV for 5 hours a day, the screen life is about 54 years.

Manufacturers that claim 100,000 hours of plasma screen life are Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Sharp.