• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gross Corruption in Commonwealth Games - india

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Problem is the country can ill afford to host such games. But yet they went ahead and results are the rich and power feeding at the trough. The $7.8 billion could be used to built toilets and provide clean water for the teeming slums.

The legacy rich and politically connected as usual get even more powerful while the common slum folk defecate in the open drains and get sick on contaminated water. Sad.

Crooks hijack Delhi Games
By Raja Murthy

MUMBAI - The Commonwealth Games in New Delhi this October are racing to a record of a non-athletic kind: the world's most corrupt sporting event.

More than 5,000 athletes from 71 countries and thousands of visitors are expected for the games, the 19th such event for countries formerly under British rule. Corruption scandals exposed in the past few days appear to be merely an indication of how funds have been sucked away from an extravaganza that is costing taxpayers up to US$7.5 billion - more than 1,500% over initial budgets given in parliament.

"It's bizarre," said Ralph Pais, a senior Mumbai-based media

professional and sports fan, voicing the incredulity and disgust of a nation. "Are they building stadiums or a city?"

"They" refers to the Indian Olympics Association and the Organizing Committee, two stakeholders that signed the hosting rights in Jamaica in 2003. Others in the mega mess include the London-based Commonwealth Games Federation, the Delhi state government and the Indian government.

Anil Khanna, the Games treasurer and head of the All India Tennis Association, resigned this week after reports claimed an Australian firm won the contract to lay tennis courts for the Games because his son headed its Indian arm. Khanna denies any wrongdoing. On the same day, the Games' joint directors general TS Darbari and M Jeyachandran, and deputy director general Sanjay Mohindroo, were suspended following an investigation into financial irregularities.

Where much of the $7.5 billion vanished is a bewildering question the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is trying to answer. CBI sleuths are probing allegations of bribery, over-billing, illegal commissions, improper contracts, substandard construction work - and perhaps millions of dollars siphoned off to secret bank accounts.

Bribery and other money-mischief are nearly routine in major sporting events, most famously in the bidding for the 2002 Winter Olympics, held in Salt Lake City, Utah. But the New Delhi event, to be held from October 3 to 14, appears to be in a league of its own.

Officials of the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), the top body for investigating government corruption, detected irregularities after inspecting 186 Games-related projects involving 128 agencies in the past two years. The works included construction of five stadiums, upgrades of six old ones, and building of a Games village and about 20 training venues.

A CVC report declared that "almost all" organizations executing works for the Games have quoted higher than market prices. "Despite higher rates," the report said, "poor site management, delays and quality compromises have been observed." Other detected fraud included tampering with sealed bid documents.

The CBI and the Comptroller and Auditor General are scrutinizing 16 Games-related projects for corruption, including contracts to buy overpriced goods.

Sports equipment, stadium chairs, air-conditioners, even soap dispensers and umbrellas, were marked up over market prices by an eye-popping 800% to 1,000%. Locally available treadmills, for instance, costing about US$8,600 each to buy, were allegedly rented from fictitious "foreign" firms for $21,000, for 45 days. In a turnaround, Commonwealth Games Organizing Committee secretary general Lalit Bhanot said athletics equipment such as treadmills will now be bought rather than rented, so as to leave a legacy of the games, Hindustan Times reported on Wednesday.

As whistleblowers expose more malpractice, insiders say the CBI has two years of work ahead sifting through what might be one of the world's biggest organized looting of public funds.

The corruption web stretches worldwide, with the CBI investigating firms in Australia and Britain, in alleged pay-offs for construction, supplying equipment and services. ATM Films, an obscure company in London, was paid $400,000 for renting sundries like portable toilets, mobile video screens and ambulances for the Queen's Baton Relay last October 29, without any written contract.

The mess has added firepower to those questioning if India should be hosting the Commonwealth Games, and if any public good would come out of it. Were the Games merely an excuse for politicians ruling sporting bodies to strut on the global stage, or, as is being revealed, to put in play Operation Loot?

Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice AP Shah's in May released a damning, detailed 77-page report titled "The 2010 Commonwealth Games: Whose Wealth? Whose Commons?" Besides revealing glaring irregularities, bribery and costs escalation of the Games by 1,575 %, Justice Shah also studied the social cost. It showed the homeless, beggars and slum dwellers in New Delhi being harassed in governmental efforts to hide them from view.

The window-dressing is backfiring. "Hundreds of thousands displaced in New Delhi to make way for the Commonwealth Games" ran the headline of a Washington Post report on July 10.

"For the 11-day Games event, the government demolished the lives we built here over 18 years," 58-year-old vegetable seller Rehman Khan, whose house was smashed to make way for a Games project, told the Post.

A leading Indian footballer, Bhaichung Bhutia, joined the chorus of complaints on August 4. India should not have bid to host the Games, he said, when the country lacked even basic sporting infrastructure - such as sufficient playing grounds for children.

New Delhi residents are not impressed, either, by the way their lives have been disrupted during construction for apparently very poor results. "The stadiums are in terrible condition," says Sohini Paul, a senior project officer of Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, a Delhi-based non-governmental organization. "It’s a shame to think the Games are going to be held there in less than two months."

India's sports minister, MS Gill, told parliament: "Most of the venues have already hosted test events without glitches. I have had a look at the stadiums, they are ready. Just the finishing work remains to be done."

On August 4, a silent Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sat grimly through uproar in parliament over the Games scandal. An opposition party member called it "the Loot Games".

In the eye of the storm is Suresh Kalmadi, chairman of the Organizing Committee and president of the Indian Olympic Association. Kalmadi a 66-year-old former air force pilot and Congress party member of parliament, defiantly rejected corruption charges.

The world of Indian sport is already well known to be infected by inefficient politicians heading sporting bodies, sometimes for decades thanks to sham elections, unaccountable and impervious to the fact that India has the worst Olympics record among major nations.

Kalmadi has been president of the Indian Olympic Association since 1996, has headed the Singapore-based Asian Athletics Association since 2001, and has been a lifetime president of the Athletics Federation of India since 2006.

Under Kalmadi’s watch, India won a total of five medals in the Sydney Olympics (2000), Athens (2004) and Beijing (2008) combined - in contrast to China winning 222 medals, Japan 80 and South Korea 89 in those last three Olympics.

For decades, Indian sportsmen and women have complained about poor facilities and poorer treatment from officials. This week, even as more sordid details of the multi-billion dollar scam unfolded, the Indian rugby team for the Commonwealth Games complained they were given substandard food to eat.

There is much talk about India’s "prestige" in hosting the Commonwealth Games, but not just pride will be injured if a badly built stadium roof collapses on spectators and athletes this October. Given the picture that is emerging of how the Games have been organized so far, it's a risk that can't be ignored.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another article by Times of India online editor:

He is concerned about forged safety certificates.

Commonwealth Games: Scary daredevilry of the corruptRajesh Kalra, 04 August 2010, 04:45 PM IST
Over the past few days, the Indian media, as also media in several other parts of the world that will send teams to participate in the Commonwealth Games, have been relentless in pursuing stories about the brazen corruption in getting the facilities (both direct and indirect) ready for the Commonwealth Games, now less than two months away. The stories emerging are eye-popping, to say the least.

In my posts, I have been commenting on the mess that is being created. I had actually been priding myself in the way I had forecast what and how things would unfold as far as getting the facilities ready are concerned. This included shoddy workmanship, deliberate delays to create panic so that 'no questions asked' funds are available, unnecessary digging up and tearing apart infrastructure that seemed perfect, and so on.

There is little that surprises me these days, but the dirt that is coming out now has truly been out of the ordinary and has made me change my views. Yes, these officers and politicians still have the ability to surprise! Imagine a treadmill that costs under Rs 1 lakh being hired for Rs 10 lakh for a 45-day period or even a toilet roll being bought for Rs. Ahem! 4000 plus. And the list goes on - airconditioners, chairs, tables. Height of brazenness, really!

However, given the furore, this is hopefully being investigated and a scapegoat would be found, punished and the matter buried, for good, just as we, the media would quickly get down to the more serious business of tracking which celebrity's dog bit whom and whether the dog is alright or not.

Although the development is extremely worrisome and disgusting, my real worry stems from the way the quality standards have been trampled upon. According to a report in our paper, the Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) found that each and every quality certificate that it examined was forged. Seriously, can there be a bigger disaster than this?
Long ago, in the cult film 'Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron', a builder chides his junior officer when he complains there isn't enough cement. He chuckles and advises him "so far you have been mixing sand in cement, now start mixing cement in sand. Your problem is solved". We all laughed at it then for it was just a joke. Little did we know that a quarter of a century later that will turn into reality, that too for projects which are supposed to showcase us as having arrived at the world stage.

The sad part is there is no remorse. It was frightening, and infuriating, to see the auditorium for weightlifting events leak like a sieve even as it was inaugurated by the urban development minister in the presence of the sports minister. While all could see the leaks and damp walls and puddles on ground, the ministers, both of them, felt it was no big deal and would be set right. The snug manner in which it was said was repulsive. Same has been the case with the cycling velodrome, the shooting range, the badminton arena, the swimming pool, and perhaps some more that would rear their heads up alarmingly in due course.

Would you feel safe entering an arena that is built on unsafe foundation? Would you pay to endanger your life? I don't think so. Why just the sports arena, even the other civil work done in the city seems to have been done using substandard material. On Delhi's VVIP Akbar road, a brand new streetlight pole came crashing down, snapped in the middle. Now, every time I drive on that road, I am apprehensive. Similarly, major portions of the brand-new six-lane road that leads to the CRPF shooting range in Gurgaon, where some events will be held, has been washed away after a few hours of sustained rains. The response to all such mess is that it would be set right. Sure! But at what cost? Who is paying for it? And even now, several projects are not ready and engineers have started saying openly there isn't time to complete them, and if they are forced to do so, it would be unsafe to occupy such buildings (for example, the flats being built by DDA in Vasant Kunj).

What if there are more rains? What if there is a mild earthquake thousands of miles away but some ripple effects are felt in Delhi too? I am sure the ruins of Tughlaq era would survive, but not these brand-new structures. As I said, I would feel unsafe entering anything that is linked to the games. The more prominently the quality certificate is displayed, the more scared I would be. I would also advise all others to stay away from these games. You could also read some of my earlier posts in which we had seen this coming.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh don't worry about this.

In this bias world that also includes forummers in this forum no matter how india fucks up it is still up to par with china.

It's okay india is a democracy and they speak good english too. If china succeeds in organizing an event like it did the olympics let's focus on its political issues instead but on shitland's discrimination of minorities and kelings under the caste system nope just ignore it.

Anyway there's nothing to worry about kelings will again talk about their "good" looks, long beak noses and round eyes and you know it's not important how they fuck up the commonwealth games.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't it the same thing that's going on with YOG:confused:

What newly built facilities caused them to exceed their budget :confused:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Commonwealth Games should be abolished. Indeed the Commonweath should be abolished. Except for those dominions that retained the British Monarch (now QE2) as their Head of State (Canada, Australia, NZ, some Carribean and Pacific islands), it's meaningless for the rest. It's even meaningless for Britain itself when the perm seat at UNSC and Olympic medals are more importantly the real stuff that matter.