• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

singaporeans are losers - here is why

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time to abolish NS

Unread

(#1)
YetAnotherCitizen

Default Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Its a waste of time. So says someone.

I disagree. Its a waste of time and money.

If war comes how? Some may ask. I say even now with an army if war comes then god help us all. Who would be that foolish? Attacking without considering the repercussions? We only wish other county is that stupid.

We should just be like Hong kong. Develop a strong Police Force. No need for so many expensive hardware like fighter jets and attack helicopters which till now are only good for national day parades.

YetAnotherCitizen
View Public Profile
Send a private message to YetAnotherCitizen
Find More Posts by YetAnotherCitizen

Re: Time to abolish NS

Unread

(#2)
sugoku01

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCitizen View Post

If war comes how? Some may ask. I say even now with an army if war comes then god help us all. Who would be that foolish? Attacking without considering the repercussions? We only wish other county is that stupid.

We should just be like Hong kong. Develop a strong Police Force. No need for so many expensive hardware like fighter jets and attack helicopters which till now are only good for national day parades.
Disagree. Singapore is a fairly rich countries surrounded by much much larger, not-exactly-friendly, poorer neighbours who are not too happy with our success.. And what makes you think that whatever happened to Kuwait will never happen here? If Singapore really kenna invaded, who will come to our rescue? We have no oil hor, you know.

sugoku01
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by sugoku01

Unread

(#3)
sugoku01

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Should Singapore kenna invaded, our beautifully renovated houses, together with all the modern appliances and expensive jewellery, etc will be taken away from us, and we may have to become slaves to the new invaded owners..

Are you sure that that will never happen?

sugoku01
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by sugoku01

Unread

(#4)
chewchew

Send a message via MSN to chewchew

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 03:22 PM
more good than harm

chewchew
View Public Profile
Send a private message to chewchew
Find More Posts by chewchew

Unread

(#5)
josephchew

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 03:26 PM
You cannot use HK as a comparison.

HK is part of China - who dare to mess up with PRC army. Not many

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCitizen View Post

josephchew
View Public Profile
Send a private message to josephchew
Find More Posts by josephchew

Unread

(#6)
muppet

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 04:34 PM
national service should not be abolished, it is an integral defence for singapore, even if only as a deterrent force.

muppet
View Public Profile
Send a private message to muppet
Find More Posts by muppet

Unread

(#7)
YetAnotherCitizen

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry maybe a little too ambiguous.

I did not mean for Singapore to be sitting ducks.

Our voluntary service aka regulars are already twice the size of some countries Arm Forces.

Also i am not comparing with Hong Kong. I think we should learn from them where social security is the emphasis.

Also we may not have oil but we do have assets. Should anyone attack us they are giving others an excuse to attack them them and take over.

Perhaps we should change SAF to SDF. Singapore Defense Force and concentrate on maintaining the peace instead of constantly building up a force and stategiseing on counter attack and such. If we make the mistake of provoking another country to the point of attacking us. my thoughts is that it will probably not take very long to flatten the whole of Singapore as we are a very small country. Whats the bulk of the SAF going to fight for and defend in that case?

YetAnotherCitizen
View Public Profile
Send a private message to YetAnotherCitizen
Find More Posts by YetAnotherCitizen

Unread

(#8)
Jezebella

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I disagree too. Whoever suggested that obviously has a lack of history knowledge or is simply complacent. Each and every country, must have the ability to defend themselves and abolishing NS is the same as throwing a rock onto our feet, especially should war occur someday; and the future is unpredictable.

Jezebella
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Jezebella
Find More Posts by Jezebella

Unread

(#9)
bennybkc

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Dr Yeo Ning Hong said this when he was Defence Minister 'we have to prepare for war to maintain peace'.
I agree.

bennybkc
View Public Profile
Send a private message to bennybkc
Find More Posts by bennybkc

Unread

(#10)
sintiow

Default Re: Time to abolish NS - 15-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I support having NS.
Many reasons why we should have NS.
Only wish is MINDEF continues to insists on TSR...so our sons and brothers and husbands need not die unnec during peace time.

ousia is the way to a simpler life in this complex world