• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Milky Way may contain 100 million habitable planets

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Milky Way may contain 100 million habitable planets

Monday 26th July, 2010
(ANI)

Scientists involved in NASA's Kepler Mission have reportedly discovered more than 700 new planets - including up to 140 similar in size to Earth - in just six weeks of using the powerful new space observatory.

Early results from NASA's Kepler Mission, a small satellite observing deep space, has suggested planets like Earth are far more widespread than previously thought.

Past discoveries suggested most planets outside our solar system were gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn - but the new evidence tipped the balance in favour of solid worlds.

Astronomers said the discovery has increased the chances of eventually finding truly Earth-like planets capable of sustaining life.

However, NASA has formally announced only five new exoplanets - those outside our solar system - from the mission because its scientists are still analysing the findings to confirm they are actually planets or not.

"The figures suggest our galaxy, the Milky Way (which has more than 100 billion stars) will contain 100 million habitable planets and soon we will be identifying the first of them," News.com.au quoted Dimitar Sasselov, a scientist on the Kepler Mission, as saying.

"There is a lot more work we need to do with this, but the statistical result is loud and clear and it is that planets like our own Earth are out there," he added. (ANI)

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
My God only promises me to go to haven. But I would gladly trade a place in haven for living in these planets after I die.

So what God should I believe in that would promise me that?

Anybody knows? :biggrin:

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
My God only promises me to go to haven. But I would gladly trade a place in haven for living in these planets after I die.

I do not know about God but there is no chance at all for we humans to visit other heavenly bodies and neither can these alien beings from stars far far away come to Earth to 'disturb' us. The distance is just too far. Based on current technology, the rocket will need to travel 260 days before reaching Mars. So to travel outside our solar system will probably take decades...

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal

God of wealth ! Got $ got ticket.:biggrin:

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even with best technology, it would lightyears and not just decades to reach there, and most likely the corpse of the spaceman will reach there.

They can sell you the ticket but they cannot guarantee satisfaction and refund.

God of wealth ! Got $ got ticket.:biggrin:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Even with best technology, it would lightyears and not just decades to reach there, and most likely the corpse of the spaceman will reach there.

They can sell you the ticket but they cannot guarantee satisfaction and refund.

These living bacteria are half a million years old. - Don't say too early. :biggrin:
Okay, not believing in these God's stuff. But the first spores has to come from somewhere, encrust in amber, via some kind of interplanetary comet?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/a...ing.things/index.html?hpt=C1#fbid=bTtJ1Z0xqU4

Sussman's ancient organisms are continuously living and are genetically identical individuals.

So far, she has shot more than 25 different species of plant or organism, each being older than 2,000 years -- "I wanted to start with the idea of 'year zero' " -- with the oldest being actinobacteria from the permafrost of Siberia estimated to be around 500,000 years old

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is hard to imagine people spending a whole lifetime on a space ship
going to another place like Earth.

The nearest star is 4 light years away. Even if the spacecraft could travel at 1% the speed of light (1,860 miles per sec), it will take us 400 years to get there!

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
400 years is a long time to reach anywhere on earth or outside earth.:biggrin:

The nearest star is 4 light years away. Even if the spacecraft could travel at 1% the speed of light (1,860 miles per sec), it will take us 400 years to get there!

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I think eventually it is technological possible to travel at that speed, and 400 years does not sounds too daunting.

We are able to clone animals now, so it is not a big leap to clone humans ( question of ethics ), the next step is to develop a human cloning machine and to be able to preserve the human egg for 400 years!

Further to that, we can also grow organs in lab now, skins etc... So, it is possible to replace parts of our body that could extend our life by leaps and bounds.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"my cousin harry is hiding on this planet. we want him back."

images

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We had to overcome conventional way of travelling frm point a to b by moving thru the space between em...:biggrin::biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yes, but how do we get there?

Einstein say...space n time exist in a horizontal plane...take a pc of paper and draw a pt at each end...name em a and b...draw a connecting line frm a to b...the line represent space or time required to move frm 1 pt to the other...the higher the speed the shorter the time...it won't b a problem if a and b represent sg and london but wat if it's btn 2 different galaxy or universe?

Now pick up the paper...bend it till pt a touches pt b...now the line (distance)no longer exist...pt a is now 1 step away frm pt b...while it is easy 2 cum out with theory...how the heck r we gonna to bend space n time in reality??

Even if we can do it...no price in guessing how much it cost us 2 pass thru the ERP gate in btn the 2 point, de farking papayas put up...:biggrin::biggrin:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
even if we somehow get to those planets, got a host of probs to deal wif like different gravity levels, bacteria & viruses that can wipe us out etc etc.

You guys better stay down-to-Earth. Don't go to other planets and fuck them up with your politics, pollution, ignorance, violence, etc in your own overall great incivility and stupidity as well.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
More importantly there should be a law that ensures that the propagation of the kiasu/kiasi gene via in-breeding of stinkies such as yourself be made punishable by death.

You guys better stay down-to-Earth. Don't go to other planets and fuck them up with your politics, pollution, ignorance, violence, etc in your own overall great incivility and stupidity as well.