• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Big difference among Australian cities?

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apologies, US is indeed the cheapest for medical cost compared to Canada, UK, NZ and OZ.

I never said that. Our medical costs are as high as you state. But who pays it? The companies we work for pay it. Not us. Us 85% of the population with health insurance dont pay those high medical costs, corporations do. From Costco to Wall St they have to pay for it.

Dinkley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here's something no one here has mentioned and you can take it from a guy who used to Perth as everyone here knows and now lives in America.

Have you asked yourself what you really want? There's alot of opinions here but it all comes down to what do you want.

Start with this.....What climate do you want? Singapore people are used to only 1 climate and some can and others cannot live in a cold climate. It gets really cold in parts of Canada and Australia gets chilly too. Its something to think about cause it might put a damper on your plans.

After you figure that out you can ask yourself what kind of urban environment you want to live in. Do you want to live in an apartment, a loft or do you want a house with garden? These countries are so much bigger than SG you can find virtually everything you want if you know what you are looking for.

For example we settled in a city known for its natural beauty and abundance of jobs with a very trendy vibe. My city has been named in the top 10 places to live and work as it has many young professionals. We also bought a foreclosure vacation condo (for almost nothing) in Florida near Miami and a boat so we spend time boating, fishing and we especially love Miami's South Beach. We're regulars on Ocean Drive and we see celebrities all the time there.

So the question is answering what you are really looking for. We feel (my wife and I) very lucky to have what we do and lead a life we can never have had in SG. My next project is to learn to fly. A buddy from work is building an 4 passenger airplane in his garage he bought from a kit. Now can you do that in SG?

I want a city with a slow pace of lifestyle but with decent entertainment. If I had liked a fast pace of lifestyle, may as well stay in Singapore. And I certainly do not wish to find a city that is occupied by many Sinkies (think Perth and Melbourne).

Climate-wise, I prefer a cool climate. Equivalent to the weather of Hong Kong or Taipei during winter era. I can take cold weather but certainly can't take the hot weather in Singapore. And the weather will most likely continue to rise here.

You seem to live a pretty high-life and really enjoy life to the fullest, this I envy. May I enquire about which city are you living in currently? And why did you leave Perth? Hope I am not being too nosy here.

Naturally, I will love to live in those houses with a garden. Apartments may make good starters in my initial settlement, but after a while, it is no different from living in a HDB apartment. Those houses with gardens sounds great for a relaxed environment, imagine myself drinking cold beer while sitting on a chair in the lawn and enjoying life, instead of worrying about CPF or ICT.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want a city with a slow pace of lifestyle but with decent entertainment. If I had liked a fast pace of lifestyle, may as well stay in Singapore. And I certainly do not wish to find a city that is occupied by many Sinkies (think Perth and Melbourne).

Climate-wise, I prefer a cool climate. Equivalent to the weather of Hong Kong or Taipei during winter era. I can take cold weather but certainly can't take the hot weather in Singapore. And the weather will most likely continue to rise here.

You seem to live a pretty high-life and really enjoy life to the fullest, this I envy. May I enquire about which city are you living in currently? And why did you leave Perth? Hope I am not being too nosy here.

Naturally, I will love to live in those houses with a garden. Apartments may make good starters in my initial settlement, but after a while, it is no different from living in a HDB apartment. Those houses with gardens sounds great for a relaxed environment, imagine myself drinking cold beer while sitting on a chair in the lawn and enjoying life, instead of worrying about CPF or ICT.

I think I can relate on the SG CPF. I remember what it felt like to live with all those rules it was suffocating. When I went to Perth in 1999-2001 it was with a job offer. I lived there for almost two years until my dad met and married a Korean and asked me to come over. In those days there was the quota system for greencards and the Koreans got allocated alot of them so we applied as a family.

At the time I really did not want to leave Perth. I had a job, and freedom from SG. I went over with some friends and as you know there are ALOT of SG people in Perth. It was scenic, very laid back and after a while very boring. It was also quite cheap in those days. I cant say Perth in 2000 is the same as it is today but its all about what you are looking for. If you look hard enough and ask the right questions, you can find it. My life here was a process of searching for what we wanted and until you get there its all relative. I do know that I would not be able to buy the house or vacation home I have today due to cost constraints though if I was still in Perth. Dont get me wrong I still think fondly of Perth but I just would not be able to live the way I do there. my $ just goes further here right now.

Well whatever country you choose all I can say is there is something to be said for that feeling you get when you crack open a beer in your own house free from SG laws and restrictions. Freedom is really worth it.

I dont consider myself living the high life really just doing what I want to do. Life is no rose garden but if you get what you want it does get alot better. so here's to you chasing your dreams. A beer in the backyard is cool. You might if you get the chance go to South Beach and order yourself a mojito and sit back and watch the chiquitas go by. Ay mamacita where you going? shit the game started better go.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sydney is cheaper? Now that is quite weird, considering how many foreigners settle in Sydney and its population is booming. I am targeting a more laid-back lifestyle, but neither do I want the Johor type of lifestyle, laid-back but lack of proper infrastructure and entertainment. I only know the three main cities of laid-back lifestyle are Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide. But for the latter two, seen on forums that they are fond of throwing rotten eggs more often than other Australian cities.

Sydney has more jobs especially in the financial & services industry. There's a handful of people commute to work in Sydney from other states/or regional (mainly Melb & Brisbane) on weekdays and fly back on weekends for the relaxed lifestyle.

It has its fair share of glory and pains. As the biggest city in OZ (and probably the wealthiest) we probably have everything from the 3 storey Apple store to late night entertainment in the city stretch from the Harbour area to Chinatown(well, u get bored after a while); and heaps of international crusines and cafes; nice beaches and water view houses(if u have the money). Even fruits & vegs are mainly supply from Queensland state, Sydney get the goods first before distributing to other cities due its large population size. Melbourne in a way is very similiar but a bit more laidback and infrastructure is so much better.

Infrastructure in Sydney vary suburbs to suburbs. The Northern & Eastern suburbs have better planning in terms of public transport and road. West is the worse, lots of holes on the road and its a disgrace for a 1st world country. having said that, u can drive out and still get food in most suburb at night. Driving can be a nightmare, congested anything within 16km-20km to the city.

I don't know the cost of living in Perth vs Sydney but I suspect they are quite similiar. For a big country(in geographical size) but small population size, OZ will never beat America in terms of living cost and variety of products. Shopping in Oz is definitely backwards and the so-called factory outlets in Oz is dwarf compared to America. However, like all other OZ cities fresh fruits and vegs are easily available, u don't get that in America. There's crime everywhere, just be dilligent choosing where to live.

Personally if you are still young then head to America else OZ is a alternate choice. Canada to me is too cold and far away from home. UK(london) offers good work opportunities and cultural(close to other European cities) but to live permanently there is probably not an option considering how many britons/londoners have migrated.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
just an observation:

most sinkies want a more relaxed pace of life, aka shorter working hrs. yet they like to complain that in Australia, everything closes so early.

So it's ok for you to go home early but others must work late is it?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Infrastructure in Sydney vary suburbs to suburbs. The Northern & Eastern suburbs have better planning in terms of public transport and road. West is the worse, lots of holes on the road and its a disgrace for a 1st world country. having said that, u can drive out and still get food in most suburb at night. Driving can be a nightmare, congested anything within 16km-20km to the city.

I don't know the cost of living in Perth vs Sydney but I suspect they are quite similiar. For a big country(in geographical size) but small population size, OZ will never beat America in terms of living cost and variety of products. Shopping in Oz is definitely backwards and the so-called factory outlets in Oz is dwarf compared to America. However, like all other OZ cities fresh fruits and vegs are easily available, u don't get that in America. There's crime everywhere, just be dilligent choosing where to live.

Perth's Cost
1. Any govt fees/stamp duties/ etc - WA is higher. Look we are the 2nd largest state in the world.
2. Perth is the most isolated city in the world. A lot of things come from the eastern Aussie states. Otherwise, we have to order and wait for delivery.
3. Basically, I shop via eBay/Internet a lot. From my special Japanese teaware to books.
4. We do not have the masses & competition to get bargain stuff.

But we are lucky that the wages here are much higher than say Adelaide.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just an observation:

most sinkies want a more relaxed pace of life, aka shorter working hrs. yet they like to complain that in Australia, everything closes so early.

Interesting point.

The ideal day is 8 hrs work, 8 hrs leisure and 8 hrs rest.

Another point is that labour work is rewarded amply. "Eat bitter" does not go well here.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
just an observation:

Not just sinkies, most Asians complain about it. The 9 to 5 rule does not apply to retail - I guess only the Asian stores tend to open longer hours and its a win win. Office workers could still shop after office hours, shops pay the same rent but generate more revenue. Well, woolies and Coles do open long hours though, my gf's brother got to work till 4am sometimes.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FYI - Canada's jobs numbers for June came in at 93K - much much higher than we were anticipating.

Yes. You are right. That is good news! Unemployment below 8% for the first time!

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-sujets/labour-travail/lfs-epa/lfs-epa-eng.htm

c100709a.gif

Employment has been on an upward trend since July 2009, increasing by 403,000 (+2.4%). These gains offset nearly all the employment losses observed during the labour market downturn which began in the fall of 2008. The June unemployment rate, however, remained well above the October 2008 rate of 6.2%, due to a large increase in the number of people in the labour force over this period.

Employment increases were evenly split between full and part time in June. Since July 2009, most of the employment gains have been in full-time work, up 355,000 or 2.6%, while part-time work rose by 1.5%.

c100709b.gif

Gains concentrated in Ontario and Quebec

Core-aged men lead employment gains

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not just sinkies, most Asians complain about it. The 9 to 5 rule does not apply to retail - I guess only the Asian stores tend to open longer hours and its a win win. Office workers could still shop after office hours, shops pay the same rent but generate more revenue. Well, woolies and Coles do open long hours though, my gf's brother got to work till 4am sometimes.

In Perth, it is perfectly acceptable to go for various appointments during office hours, eg hair-cut, dentist, optometrist, do sales shopping, buying farewell gift for colleagues. This is what happen if we have short retail hours.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Perth, it is perfectly acceptable to go for various appointments during office hours, eg hair-cut, dentist, optometrist, do sales shopping, buying farewell gift for colleagues. This is what happen if we have short retail hours.

U can do that in sg as well, whats the big deal. Perth is forgiven with its small economy/population and laidback lifestyle, but in bigger cities ie. Sydney/Melbourne I believe they can be more competitive in retail. This is the same in the big cities elsewhere eg. NY, London, tokyo etc.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U can do that in sg as well, whats the big deal. Perth is forgiven with its small economy/population and laidback lifestyle, but in bigger cities ie. Sydney/Melbourne I believe they can be more competitive in retail. This is the same in the big cities elsewhere eg. NY, London, tokyo etc.

In Singapore, you have to apply for Time Off, and repay the time spent outside. (Yes, my staff always slack somewhere without permission)

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
My next project is to learn to fly. A buddy from work is building an 4 passenger airplane in his garage he bought from a kit. Now can you do that in SG?

That very interesting! You can buy a kit and build your own airplane??????

Only in USA!

Dont mind my asking? How much?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, you have to apply for Time Off, and repay the time spent outside. (Yes, my staff always slack somewhere without permission)

They slack off, but are they doing their work? Unlike SG, I find most people slack off if their workload can still be finished by the end of the day. Then again, workload here are a trickled compared to SG. Most of the time I'm just waiting for others to finish their part now.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They slack off, but are they doing their work? Unlike SG, I find most people slack off if their workload can still be finished by the end of the day. Then again, workload here are a trickled compared to SG. Most of the time I'm just waiting for others to finish their part now.

I was asking a Singaporean IT professional. He told me that the IT standard in Perth is really bad. He need to get out because of the dumb things the IT people are doing. Should he move east to Brissy, Melb or Syd?

Actually, it is not that bad for me. Because of bad IT, I am able to access staff accounts that I should not. Eg that nasty Scot has a password that remind him of home, nessie. He has nice SPG pictures of this Singapore-based expat staff who is a cheongster. My asian IT people say it is safe because they do not keep a logbook on which asset is accessing the accounts.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depends which line in IT? Banking? Embedded? Web design? Stuff here can slack off doesn't mean they don't work. For some reason, the people in my company are very competent even if they slack off once in a while. They also do late night/weekends work to get a release through the door. After that they take 2-3 weeks holidays overseas. Compared to Singapore, this is what I call a work/life balance. Interesting enough, in Singapore you have HR keep saying work/life balance yet you have all this stressed out people.

I was asking a Singaporean IT professional. He told me that the IT standard in Perth is really bad. He need to get out because of the dumb things the IT people are doing. Should he move east to Brissy, Melb or Syd?

Actually, it is not that bad for me. Because of bad IT, I am able to access staff accounts that I should not. Eg that nasty Scot has a password that remind him of home, nessie. He has nice SPG pictures of this Singapore-based expat staff who is a cheongster. My asian IT people say it is safe because they do not keep a logbook on which asset is accessing the accounts.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depends which line in IT? Banking? Embedded? Web design? Stuff here can slack off doesn't mean they don't work. For some reason, the people in my company are very competent even if they slack off once in a while. They also do late night/weekends work to get a release through the door. After that they take 2-3 weeks holidays overseas. Compared to Singapore, this is what I call a work/life balance. Interesting enough, in Singapore you have HR keep saying work/life balance yet you have all this stressed out people.

Which line ?
This Singaporean has more than 10 years experience, reports to a Senior System Analyst white dumbbitch who just graduate 2 years ago and a 100% Gen Y "Listen to me". (Local council job.)

Seems like shortage of IT staff in Perth is giving fresh IT grads too good opportunities!!!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, I'm guessing you mean public system administrator? Server admin type?

Whole Australia lacks qualified personnel mate. If not why is the unemployment 5.1%? Forecast drop to 4.75% in two years time? We need more qualified people in this country. Another surprising thing here, even the Ah nehs also very qualified and humble, not like the recent news in SG about DBS.

Which line ?
This Singaporean has more than 10 years experience, reports to a Senior System Analyst white dumbbitch who just graduate 2 years ago and a 100% Gen Y "Listen to me". (Local council job.)

Seems like shortage of IT staff in Perth is giving fresh IT grads too good opportunities!!!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, I'm guessing you mean public system administrator? Server admin type?

Whole Australia lacks qualified personnel mate. If not why is the unemployment 5.1%? Forecast drop to 4.75% in two years time? We need more qualified people in this country. Another surprising thing here, even the Ah nehs also very qualified and humble, not like the recent news in SG about DBS.

Yes, we need more qualified ppl in Australia.. these ppl I know, either they are good for talking or they simply good at nothing :p When they talked too much, I challenged them to write to me formally.. but in vain.. recently, I've supported my 'small talk' with appropriate legislation.. those blurr f**k shut-up !

Hahaha