• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Big difference among Australian cities?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Always hear from relatives here and there, Perth is a boring place. Want to migrate to Australia, at least settle down on Sydney or Melbourne. Don't bother going Adelaide, cause it is just the Southern version of Perth.

Will be glad to hear some opinions from Samsters who had lived in any Australian cities long-term.

Post global financial crisis - why do you want to leave Asia where all the actions are?

Most of the developed countries are in permanent decline due to austerity measures.
USA is in denial. In the next 20-30 years, it will return to isolation.
Canada has no jobs.
Australia is too expensive.

The window of opportunities for migrants is closing or has closed.

Unless you are a "can-do" migrant (eg China), you will find yourself complaining endless, from racism to underemployment.

Unless you are rich enough, you will be living in ghettos, with refugees or shady people as your neighbours.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
..Australia like all 1st world developed countries is wonderful and has so much potential for migrants.......

It was a first world cuntry status maybe in those years before 1970s. Asians countries have catched up and over take Aussies in terms of quality and nordern country. This laid back Aussies plans to build super fast bullet train from Sydney to Canberra in 2002 and look what happen to the plan? Shelved? It is going backwards with all their talk cock only politicans and China already have their bullet train running.

Aussies are good at rip off biz and this this 1st world biz ...

You can never fail in a 1st world country if you are capable and are prepared to adapt. yeah try this ....
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/05/23/220515_gold-coast-news.html

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would have preferred US or Canada though US is pretty dangerous with random nitwits packing guns. But so far I have worked out my budget, it is only sufficient for Australia and not even including Sydney.

Ang Moh, by nature, are arrogance and angry people. Recommend reading http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/arts/17iht-19book.6697542.html

When LKY says he will meet up at cul de sac with a hatchet, here is one Sinkie think he is an ang moh and got his right to be angry and beat you up first and then if you want to take him on he is pleased to meet you at cul de sac to settle the score and make sure you bring your weapons and gang.

So you want to live with Ang Moh! think again. They will bash you up first becos they think you make them angry. Their God is an angry God, Yehweh, and since they are made from the image of their angry God they are angry people too.

Read the book to understand this angry people and then think again of migrating if you want angry LKY to be your neighbour.

Dinkley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry bro, I was just yanking your chain as its a slow saturday.

Australia like all 1st world developed countries is wonderful and has so much potential for migrants. You can never fail in a 1st world country if you are capable and are prepared to adapt. The society is more egalitarian that most countries so they are more welcoming and very helpful. Its has lots of space and a good house and land is wonderful change.

Don't waste time, choose one of the developed countries and throw in your migrant papers. OZ, NZ and Canada require migrants and therefore take in many each year. Once you get approval you have anything like 3 to 5 years to make your final move.

Whatever it is do not downgrade and end up in Thailand, or any of the cheap 3rd world country unless you can't fund your retirement. People have all kinds of bias and negative comments about migrations and these destinations but these are afterall 1st world countries. I have lived, worked in two and can tell it has been a wonderful experience. Make your world your oyster and get the application in whether it is OZ, NS or Canada.
Oh damn, I did not realize I had been taken for a ride on the topic of Australia. Nearly switched my mind to NZ.

The three countries you have mentioned are what I am considering. However, an important factor is whether they have good infrastructure (entertainment, etc). I have a soft spot for NZ, but heard most Singaporeans are bored to death once living there, unless you happen to love nature. Canada seems like a country that accepts immigrants relatively easily, same goes for the US. Australia has nice cities but some of the the locals there are very unfriendly and racists.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh damn, I did not realize I had been taken for a ride on the topic of Australia. Nearly switched my mind to NZ.

The three countries you have mentioned are what I am considering. However, an important factor is whether they have good infrastructure (entertainment, etc). I have a soft spot for NZ, but heard most Singaporeans are bored to death once living there, unless you happen to love nature. Canada seems like a country that accepts immigrants relatively easily, same goes for the US. Australia has nice cities but some of the the locals there are very unfriendly and racists.

beware of the harsh weather of Canada with long cold winters. USA used to be the land of opportunity, but I'm not sure if this is still the case after the GFC meltdown.

There's racism everywhere, I haven't experienced any yet in Sydney after 2 years living here.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1st world countries always have good infrastructure so no worries there at all. However size does matter for critical mass in terms of everything right down to entertainment, food etc. So the bigger cities are a draw.

NZ is a beautiful country but it has issues as a result of its small economy. If you are young and aiming for big jobs , head to capital cities and places like OZ and Canada. Canada is another beautiful country but it has much bigger cities.

I can assure that racism is in all of us to some degree and unfortunately its seems to be the battle cry for those who want to discourage others from going abroad. US is a wonderful place but I did not recommend it and UK is that immigrations rules are tougher and there is no guarantee of a PR and citizenship unless you are sponsored for a category that allows it. Alternatively you can try the green card lottery which is how many Singaporeans make it to the US.

So don't worry about racism, guns etc. These are all big countries and if you live in the right neighbourhood, there are no issues. Your priorities should be in as follows in descending order
1) At all costs, apply to migrate to any of the 1st world countries. You can submit to one or more.
2) When your approval comes in, you then fine tune your destination city and country based on job, school, lifestyle and interest. For example the young head to Sydney, Toronto, NY and Frisco for the job and the entertainment. The middle aged with a recognised vocation tend to go to the laid back cities to enjoy the wide open spaces and scenery. The retirees who are self funded have the best pick as they can choose anywhere. Some choose the beautiful cities in NZ and enjoy the landscapes etc. Perth to catch the 6 daily flights to meet friends on a regular basis.
3) The final permanent destination can be made 2 to 3 years after your first move and have had 1st hand experience of life abroad. I have no people who move from Perth to Sydney and vice versa.

Good luck. If I had my way, I would have made homes in Frisco, Vancouver, Perth, London and Wellington. Sydney is probably the city that I can't figure out - world most breathtaking harbour and most deplorable suburbs with a really few exceptions. The World's best and planned suburbs are Perth which unforturnately has a small economy and Frisco. London is the best place to work and live. You buy an small apartment in the city and buy a lovely house by one of many rivers where you spend the weekends. Vancouver is probably best of both worlds. While Toronto is the hidden gem - everything is there due to scale and you then head to the great outdoors in the weekend.

The most depressing city in the world for a 1st world country has to be seattle. Climate sucks all year around, city is too small and dead after 6pm. It explains why microsoft is doing well. There is nothing else to take away your attention. They don't create anything, they just intergrate it well. For raw creativity - it has to be frisco.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah bro, give others a chance to live the good life and provide a future for your young ones. There are so many success stories that we heard in this forum for so many brothers. Sure it was tough going to a new country but it was journey that had to be taken.

Most people talk and don't apply due to a variety of reasons. Good luck to them. Those that have have made a success of it.

Lets encourage them.

Ang Moh, by nature, are arrogance and angry people. Recommend reading http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/arts/17iht-19book.6697542.html

When LKY says he will meet up at cul de sac with a hatchet, here is one Sinkie think he is an ang moh and got his right to be angry and beat you up first and then if you want to take him on he is pleased to meet you at cul de sac to settle the score and make sure you bring your weapons and gang.

So you want to live with Ang Moh! think again. They will bash you up first becos they think you make them angry. Their God is an angry God, Yehweh, and since they are made from the image of their angry God they are angry people too.

Read the book to understand this angry people and then think again of migrating if you want angry LKY to be your neighbour.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way bro, the top stickey has everything that you need in pointing in the right direction.

Always hear from relatives here and there, Perth is a boring place. Want to migrate to Australia, at least settle down on Sydney or Melbourne. Don't bother going Adelaide, cause it is just the Southern version of Perth.

Will be glad to hear some opinions from Samsters who had lived in any Australian cities long-term.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good points

Here are some comparisons

House - cheapest followed by most expensive
US, Canada, NZ, OZ and UK

Cars
US, Canada, UK, NZ, and OZ

Food and essentials
UK, US, Canada, NZ and OZ

Telco, utilities (except water)
US, Canada, OZ, NZ , UK

Courtesy & Manners - best to worse
NZ, Canada, OZ, UK & UK

Safety Net
Canada, UK, OZ, NZ & US

Landscape
Canada, NZ, US, OZ & UK

Legal cost
OZ, NZ, Canada, UK and US

Bureaucracy - least to worst
OZ, NZ, Canada, US and UK

Most egalitarian society
OZ, NZ, Canada, US and UK.

Most adaptable for a Singaporean
OZ, NZ, Canada, UK and US.

Best for your kids in terms of affordable, good education and safety and
UK, OZ, NZ, Canada and US

Best for picking up chicks -
UK, NZ, US, OZ and Canada

Glass ceilings - worst to best
OZ, UK, Canada, NZ and Canada

Dependency on cars - worst to best
US, NZ, OZ, Canada and UK.

Medical Cost - worst to best
US (good luck) ................................................Canada, OZ,NZ and UK

If u prefer Canada then just apply for it lor, other than Vancouver, living cost should be lower than Oz. Just make sure you qualification is recognised by canada.

USA - unless u have a employer sponsored else its going to be a hard ride as US is still in the process of cleaning up the post GFC mess and unemployment is still as high as 9-10%

Australia - seriously with the rising costs I wouldn't recommend anyone with a weak surviving skills to even try.

Dinkley

Alfrescian
Loyal
1st world countries always have good infrastructure so no worries there at all. However size does matter for critical mass in terms of everything right down to entertainment, food etc. So the bigger cities are a draw.

NZ is a beautiful country but it has issues as a result of its small economy. If you are young and aiming for big jobs , head to capital cities and places like OZ and Canada. Canada is another beautiful country but it has much bigger cities.

I can assure that racism is in all of us to some degree and unfortunately its seems to be the battle cry for those who want to discourage others from going abroad. US is a wonderful place but I did not recommend it and UK is that immigrations rules are tougher and there is no guarantee of a PR and citizenship unless you are sponsored for a category that allows it. Alternatively you can try the green card lottery which is how many Singaporeans make it to the US.

So don't worry about racism, guns etc. These are all big countries and if you live in the right neighbourhood, there are no issues. Your priorities should be in as follows in descending order
1) At all costs, apply to migrate to any of the 1st world countries. You can submit to one or more.
2) When your approval comes in, you then fine tune your destination city and country based on job, school, lifestyle and interest. For example the young head to Sydney, Toronto, NY and Frisco for the job and the entertainment. The middle aged with a recognised vocation tend to go to the laid back cities to enjoy the wide open spaces and scenery. The retirees who are self funded have the best pick as they can choose anywhere. Some choose the beautiful cities in NZ and enjoy the landscapes etc. Perth to catch the 6 daily flights to meet friends on a regular basis.
3) The final permanent destination can be made 2 to 3 years after your first move and have had 1st hand experience of life abroad. I have no people who move from Perth to Sydney and vice versa.

Good luck. If I had my way, I would have made homes in Frisco, Vancouver, Perth, London and Wellington. Sydney is probably the city that I can't figure out - world most breathtaking harbour and most deplorable suburbs with a really few exceptions. The World's best and planned suburbs are Perth which unforturnately has a small economy and Frisco. London is the best place to work and live. You buy an small apartment in the city and buy a lovely house by one of many rivers where you spend the weekends. Vancouver is probably best of both worlds. While Toronto is the hidden gem - everything is there due to scale and you then head to the great outdoors in the weekend.

The most depressing city in the world for a 1st world country has to be seattle. Climate sucks all year around, city is too small and dead after 6pm. It explains why microsoft is doing well. There is nothing else to take away your attention. They don't create anything, they just intergrate it well. For raw creativity - it has to be frisco.

Thanks for the assurances, I am charmed by the nature of NZ but the lack of entertainment is the biggest weakness of NZ. Probably Auckland is the only happening city, not sure why you said Wellington. I also do not understand why you do not recommend US since it has everything (junk, entertainment, acceptance and 51 states to choose from.

However, I am not too paranoid about guns, but you have to admit, many shooting cases happens in the US and it is too often. Would be quite worried if I pissed off anybody in the US. Next day, I will be killed in a drive-by. Racism do exist everywhere and I am ready to accept it. But I just hope after the initial misunderstanding, the locals will warm up cause I am willing to integrate.

I am not too sure what are the requirements of migration and I think it might be easier to get a PR there by studying the university there. Vancouver, I heard, is a good place but it is already filled with many Hong Kees, making it no different from Hong Kong, just that English is commonly used. UK is too expensive for me due to its currency.

For me, as much as I love the US, for a more safer environment, I pick Canada or Australia (I do want some decent entertainment but NZ I heard, does not have). At least, they are not too liberal with guns till the point that your next-door neighbour can even own one.

You sound like a guy who has travelled around the world and is wise. May I just enquire why you chose to remain in Singapore?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You sound like a guy who has travelled around the world and is wise. May I just enquire why you chose to remain in Singapore?

Can I attempt a guess?
Usually, when people get older, they will miss the country of origin.

I know of many people who, after migrating a few years in an ang-mo country, wonder what are they doing there. So, they pack up and leave.

There is one who watched too much TVB Australia Jadeworld TV and decide to bypass Singapore and "return" to China.

Dinkley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can I attempt a guess?
Usually, when people get older, they will miss the country of origin.

I know of many people who, after migrating a few years in an ang-mo country, wonder what are they doing there. So, they pack up and leave.

There is one who watched too much TVB Australia Jadeworld TV and decide to bypass Singapore and "return" to China.
Wah that is an extreme case man. Back to where his ancestors wanted to escape from. Pardon me for asking, how is life in Perth? Interesting? Safe?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah that is an extreme case man. Back to where his ancestors wanted to escape from. Pardon me for asking, how is life in Perth? Interesting? Safe?

Perhaps extreme because you have not experienced it yet.

Perth has the kind of laid back lifestyle I am looking for. It is not for everyone. It is more for someone who is burnt out and wish to get away from a hectic lifestyle in a major city. So, I am not a Sydney/Singapore type of person.

It is in fact a pleasant city. To some people, this is not DULLville, esp if you are the arty type.

We have our crimes, just that the media tend to overhype the safety issues.

But lately, things have became very expensive. I think Sydney is cheaper. But Perth has also the highest wage raises among the states. Frankly, we need more infrastructure to cope with the economic boom.

Why get so stressed up.

Like this lady in video. (No good for health)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovk8nXy1D30&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovk8nXy1D30&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dinkley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps extreme because you have not experienced it yet.

Perth has the kind of laid back lifestyle I am looking for. It is not for everyone. It is more for someone who is burnt out and wish to get away from a hectic lifestyle in a major city. So, I am not a Sydney/Singapore type of person.

It is in fact a pleasant city. To some people, this is not DULLville, esp if you are the arty type.

We have our crimes, just that the media tend to overhype the safety issues.

But lately, things have became very expensive. I think Sydney is cheaper. But Perth has also the highest wage raises among the states. Frankly, we need more infrastructure to cope with the economic boom.

Why get so stressed up.

Like this lady in video. (No good for health)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovk8nXy1D30&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovk8nXy1D30&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Sydney is cheaper? Now that is quite weird, considering how many foreigners settle in Sydney and its population is booming. I am targeting a more laid-back lifestyle, but neither do I want the Johor type of lifestyle, laid-back but lack of proper infrastructure and entertainment. I only know the three main cities of laid-back lifestyle are Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide. But for the latter two, seen on forums that they are fond of throwing rotten eggs more often than other Australian cities.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sydney is cheaper? Now that is quite weird, considering how many foreigners settle in Sydney and its population is booming. I am targeting a more laid-back lifestyle, but neither do I want the Johor type of lifestyle, laid-back but lack of proper infrastructure and entertainment. I only know the three main cities of laid-back lifestyle are Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide. But for the latter two, seen on forums that they are fond of throwing rotten eggs more often than other Australian cities.

A lot of things are relative. If you are going to find a place to live, it is more important that you experience the city first hand yourself, rather the counting the "number of rotten eggs" other people throw in their comments :wink:

All of us have our own individual taste and liking.
Eg. There are people singing praise for Seattle just as they are people who dislike the place. Eg, I used to know someone who worked in SeaLand Shipping at IBM Towers who later moved and stayed on in Seattle rather than moving back to Singapore.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
not understand why you do not recommend US since it has everything (junk, entertainment, acceptance and 51 states to choose from.

However, I am not too paranoid about guns, but you have to admit, many shooting cases happens in the US and it is too often. Would be quite worried if I pissed off anybody in the US. Next day, I will be killed in a drive-by. Racism do exist everywhere and I am ready to accept it. But I just hope after the initial misunderstanding, the locals will warm up cause I am willing to int

Here's something no one here has mentioned and you can take it from a guy who used to Perth as everyone here knows and now lives in America.

Have you asked yourself what you really want? There's alot of opinions here but it all comes down to what do you want.

Start with this.....What climate do you want? Singapore people are used to only 1 climate and some can and others cannot live in a cold climate. It gets really cold in parts of Canada and Australia gets chilly too. Its something to think about cause it might put a damper on your plans.

After you figure that out you can ask yourself what kind of urban environment you want to live in. Do you want to live in an apartment, a loft or do you want a house with garden? These countries are so much bigger than SG you can find virtually everything you want if you know what you are looking for.

For example we settled in a city known for its natural beauty and abundance of jobs with a very trendy vibe. My city has been named in the top 10 places to live and work as it has many young professionals. We also bought a foreclosure vacation condo (for almost nothing) in Florida near Miami and a boat so we spend time boating, fishing and we especially love Miami's South Beach. We're regulars on Ocean Drive and we see celebrities all the time there.

So the question is answering what you are really looking for. We feel (my wife and I) very lucky to have what we do and lead a life we can never have had in SG. My next project is to learn to fly. A buddy from work is building an 4 passenger airplane in his garage he bought from a kit. Now can you do that in SG?

Last edited:

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good points

Medical Cost - worst to best
US (good luck) ................................................Canada, OZ,NZ and UK

I disagree. You are working on the assumption that you will be one of the 15% of Americans who have no health insurance. What about the 85% of us that do?

Our health Insursance plan from UHC now means every time we see a doctor we pay 8 dollars USD and everytime I need meds from the pharmacy its 4 dollars for a 30 day supply. If we need surgery or hospitalization we pay 5% of the negotiated rate. Every year we get free physcials with workups and even MRIs if needed. I get four free cleanings at the dentist every year too. When my wife was sick the doc sent over his nurse to check on my wife at home and they did it for our son too for no cost at all. They happen to care about people over here.

Just try and get that in SG

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apologies, US is indeed the cheapest for medical cost compared to Canada, UK, NZ and OZ.

I disagree. You are working on the assumption that you will be one of the 15% of Americans who have no health insurance. What about the 85% of us that do?

Our health Insursance plan from UHC now means every time we see a doctor we pay 8 dollars USD and everytime I need meds from the pharmacy its 4 dollars for a 30 day supply. If we need surgery or hospitalization we pay 5% of the negotiated rate. Every year we get free physcials with workups and even MRIs if needed. I get four free cleanings at the dentist every year too. When my wife was sick the doc sent over his nurse to check on my wife at home and they did it for our son too for no cost at all. They happen to care about people over here.

Just try and get that in SG