• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sin vs karma

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been thinking a while about the Judeo-Christianity definition of sin and the buddhist concept of karma. How both concept, on first thought are so different but could actually have a deeper similarity then most people realised. I'll start by giving a brief definition of each. Then I'll give what I thought each could mean in terms of each terminology. Finally, I'll conclude the concept of religion, if given enough thoughts and understanding are similar in its highest level.

Sin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin

Sin, in religion, is the concept of acts that violate a moral rule. The term sin may also refer to the state of having committed such a violation. Commonly, the moral code of conduct is decreed by a divine entity, i.e. divine law.
Sin is often used to mean an action that is prohibited or considered wrong; in some religions (notably some sects of Christianity), sin can refer not only to physical actions taken, but also to thoughts and internalized motivations and feelings. Colloquially, any thought, word, or act considered immoral, shameful, harmful, or alienating might be termed "sinful".

Simply put, in Judeo-Christianity, sin is an act/action that displeases God. Some believe you would also be send to hell, which is a way to say you are not in favour of God. This also has the consequence that you would be "punish" due to the sin you have commit. Your punishment can be "ordained" in the scripture or it could be man-made based on interpretation. Others also believe you can have your sin "forgiven" if you do certain things, repent, seek a priest, etc.

Karma (Sanskrit: कर्म kárma (help·info), kárman- "act, action, performance"[1]; Pali: kamma) in Indian religions is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra) originating in ancient India and treated in Hindu, Jain, Buddhist and Sikh philosophies.[2]
'Karma' is an Indian religious concept in contradistinction to 'faith' espoused by Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam), which view all human dramas as the will of God as opposed to present - and past - life actions. In theistic schools of Hinduism, humans have free will to choose good or evil and suffer the consequences, which require the will of God to implement karma's consequences, unlike Buddhism or Jainism which do not accord any role to a supreme God or gods. In Indian beliefs, the karmic effects of all deeds are viewed as actively shaping past, present, and future experiences. The results or 'fruits' of actions are called karma-phala.[3]

Karma has no concept that a higher entity is judging or influencing a particular outcome/action/deed. It believes that whatever action you do in life has its consequences. How long or when these consequences comes to fruition does not matter. Anyone can do anything because of free will, how it pans out would have a direct influence on you in the future. What has happen in the past also has an impact on your current actions/decisions/situation.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sin, is for someone who breached God's sovernity and created fictious God story and creation. It's none of human business to know how you are created, how you should know God (if any). You are s sinner when you try abuse God name for monetray gains and frigthen humans.

chinkandoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally, I'll conclude the concept of religion, if given enough thoughts and understanding are similar in its highest level.

Can you jump straight to the concluding part, on how u derived that they are similiar in its highest level?

I can't wait to hear yr views.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you jump straight to the concluding part, on how u derived that they are similiar in its highest level?

I can't wait to hear yr views.

When you commit a sin, say you steal something, murder someone, why do you do it? What causes you to do it? Is it because of your upbringing? Is it because of the people you've met? Your friends pressured you? You were taught a certain way? You learned how to do it certain ways? Think about when a child is born. How is the child being raised? In a good family, the child would grow up well adjusted. In a bad family, the child would do bad things. Your life experiences, could be related to your karma. The person you meet you life has a direct relationship to what you would do in the future. Some may argue, that the child may have schizophrenia, or a psychopath, hence commit bad things. Born with it an innate nature to do certain things so to speak. If its genetics, isn't this considered karma as well?

I'm not sure if my conclusion really makes sense to a lot of people. It is just my point of view. Do discuss and post more.

chinkandoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you commit a sin, say you steal something, murder someone, why do you do it? What causes you to do it? Is it because of your upbringing? Is it because of the people you've met? Your friends pressured you? You were taught a certain way? You learned how to do it certain ways? Think about when a child is born. How is the child being raised? In a good family, the child would grow up well adjusted. In a bad family, the child would do bad things. Your life experiences, could be related to your karma. The person you meet you life has a direct relationship to what you would do in the future. Some may argue, that the child may have schizophrenia, or a psychopath, hence commit bad things. Born with it an innate nature to do certain things so to speak. If its genetics, isn't this considered karma as well?

I'm not sure if my conclusion really makes sense to a lot of people. It is just my point of view. Do discuss and post more.

The concept of Karma I understand, but how does that make religion similiar at it's highest level?

How is the concept of karma SIMILIAR to sin in christianity?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you apply the same logic to the animal kingdom you will realise that our interpretation of good and evil, sin, karma etc is not applicable. Its genetics, its adaptability and its survival of the fittest. The animal kingdom has the same bodily functions as us.

Things karma, values, nuturing, etc are to modify one's behavior to follow society's norms. It helps as an outlet to reduce the stress that we helped to build up.

Notice that we grower older we tend to look for religion to keep peace with outselves.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
good things happens to bad people , bad things happen to good people and then blame it on their previous "life " . what the fuck !!

life is full of up and down ...dont blame it on anything . human like to put the blame on other things ..it makes them feel better .

religion is all about controlling others people thoughts and action in a pychological way .

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you apply the same logic to the animal kingdom you will realise that our interpretation of good and evil, sin, karma etc is not applicable. Its genetics, its adaptability and its survival of the fittest. The animal kingdom has the same bodily functions as us.

Things karma, values, nuturing, etc are to modify one's behavior to follow society's norms. It helps as an outlet to reduce the stress that we helped to build up.

Notice that we grower older we tend to look for religion to keep peace with outselves.

Older people use religion to gain respect and dignity from young people and if it is true you made your point. Older people start religion, so tp speak, like Psalm23 in his holy scriptures message.