• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How hard to get rid of Singaporean Accent & Singlish?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
In any case, majority of the people here seem to agree that Singapore accent for us adults (past age 16) is difficult to get rid of completely.

For those who have migrated, perhaps you can share on how having a Singaporean accent is problematic in your integration with the overseas community?

For e.g. Can people still tell that you came from Singapore based on your speech? Or perhaps they just know you are foreigner but cannot pinpoint the country? Will you always be sticking out because you lack the accent in the country you have moved to?

It depends on how well you can "mask" your Singapore accent and the people you meet. Most shop assistant in the city would pick me up from either Malaysia/Singapore/Indonesia. Others, like some PRCs I've met, actually placed my Mandarin to have a 北方 accent. It just depends on the number of tourist/people they have met. Its possible to do it and have a more "neutral" accent if you practice and mixed around more. I don't think I'll ever have the genuine "aussie" accent but I think I should have no problem having a neutral one.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe you cannot avoid the accent. And there's really no need to hide it or disguise it with- what? Another accent? Everybody has an accent; there is no right or wrong accent to speak English in - the Americans from the West coast and the East coast are different, where they came from - Ireland, Scots, English etc. What Singaporeans should do is to speak proper English and not Singlish. E.g. even the average Honkie on the street can speak better than a Sinkie altho his accent is heavily Cantonised. But he takes trouble pronouncing his words clearly and using the proper grammar. So it is with Taiwanese. Only Sinkies are too lazy to make an effort. Perhaps they all want to think they are little LKYs.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best post on the subject and agree with you in full.
Difficult to implement la. Gov has to decide what they want - they should fire all the English teachers , replace them with the native speaking teachers, either adopt the American English or the Queen's English so the next breed of Sporeans can speak proper English confidently. No point telling the world we have world class language education which clearly they don't. So many Sporeans are efficient with their work but they can't communicate and articulate well,and lose out in the workplace. If more ABCs crossover to sg, Sporeans have no place to stand , Already overshadow by ANg Mos and the ah nehs.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Sometime in the early 90s, there was short lived local fad when Phonics was in and even the RCs organised classes. Unfortunately we are beginning to lose in a matter that we all have an advantage compared to many 3 rd world countries.

I also noticed that kids who came from a non english speaking background tend to be speak in the accent of their new country.

Based on my experience, the "magic age" is between 12 to 14, because once puberty sets in, a child will have more challenges acquiring the accent of the new country. However, I have seen several individuals who arrived in Toronto, after the age of 16, and they sound very Canadian.

I have heard that there are individuals who train immigtants to acquire the Canadian accent. I believe the key is pronounce clearly like the natives. Having said that, I speculate that the difference is that our children attending schools in Canada, are taught phonics, in JK and SK, whereas when I went to Primary school in SG, I did not learn phonics.

It is very difficult to get rid of the Singaporean accent, but much easier to faster to get rid of Singlish.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You completely missed the point and you wrote so much. He is not shopping for an accent, so he not considering NZ, Canadian etc. He wants to be assimilated.

Comedians, mimics and as you stated professional actors can replicate an accent. That"s stating the obvious. Even parrots can mimic. Most people are however not linguistically inclined. The continental Europeans speak more than 2 languages but they carry their accent with them.

Why would anyone outside Australia want to learn an Australian accent? Australian accents are horribly grinding and unclear, especially the broad Australian accent.

If you want to learn an accent, the New Zealand one is not bad. Else stick to Received Pronounciation or General American.

Professional actors can put on a totally new accent within a few months of practice. If you are a native speaker of English, and you are living in that "new accent" place, it is very possible to learn a new accent once you observe all the nuances of their speech.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the saddest things that I have seen is the older children within a migrating family having difficulty picking up the accent. Their younger siblings are totally assimilated, have wider range of school mates while the elder ones struggle. They tend to gravitate towards their Asian classmates. Its not so bad if all the siblings are on the same plane. I have even seen the parents tend to favour the younger kids without realising it. The reality of life.

Based on my experience, the "magic age" is between 12 to 14, because once puberty sets in, a child will have more challenges acquiring the accent of the new country. However, I have seen several individuals who arrived in Toronto, after the age of 16, and they sound very Canadian.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
To teach English and phonics, you have to decide who to follow. The Aussies? The British? The Americans? I personally find the Aussie accent rough - eight rhymes with right, mate rhymes with might etc. The British accent as spoken on BBC also is quite tortured -imagine Churchill or John Cleese- and you have to be very disciplined with the ends of words by closing yr lips, etc. I find the American style best, such as those spoken by Obama, FDR, Reagan. The younger LKY's speeches - when he had more to say then - are very clear, his voice a good baritone, and you don't suffer from monotony like GKS's. LKY knew how to make speeches for the radio and Tv, and despite coming back from Cambridge, didnt speak wth any Brit accent, unlike his wife or Pung How. LKY's accent or lack of it, may be a good model, but not LHL - he sounds irritating.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent point. We might have a closer to neutral accent but our English has deteriorated so badly. Its now heading towards pidgin territory. The kids of the ruling class however have solid English.

I once met 2 brothers of rich ah pek (can't speak a word of english) contractor and was blown away by their US accent and good gasp of the language. He told me that he sent them to the States for their Education from a young age. Many parents are sending their kids to boarding schools in OZ, UK etc to give them a head start.

The daughter of the owner of a local hairdressing saloon chain was sent to OZ because of her failing grades in Mandarin. He thought its best to at least have good background in English. She is now top in Mandarin and doing well in all her studies. Here is the kicker - she is doing IB. She is also a school debater. This guy is now encouraging his friends to send their kids overseas as he now realises the local education is crap.

What Singaporeans should do is to speak proper English and not Singlish. E.g. even the average Honkie on the street can speak better than a Sinkie altho his accent is heavily Cantonised. But he takes trouble pronouncing his words clearly and using the proper grammar. So it is with Taiwanese. Only Sinkies are too lazy to make an effort. Perhaps they all want to think they are little LKYs.

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
PLS la, S'pore Education is the best in the world because LKY say so? Its good but definitely not the best, not even in top.10, thats why so many Sporeans pick up hideous English skills that no one understand other than themselves. Everyone is laughing at us, even the mainland Chinese. (at least they learn and pick up American accent in school!) Singapore's education system does not prepare one to speak and express confidently, and often not free flowing when they conduct a speech. Once my ex-CEO(Singaporean) was giving a company wide speech with his half-baked English in which my Aussie workmate next to me was commenting 'his English is not very good'...I was embarrassed. Copying LKY speech is a no-no, I'll be bored to death.

Aussie accent may not sound familiar but its still a 1st world English speak country. Singapore is still not regard as a 'English speaking country' if you check the immigration or educational language requirements in western countries. NUS may be highly regarded in South East Asia (hey I'm a NUS graduate myself) but is not widely received in the western countries. Until Singapore win some nobel prizes I suggest they should stop telling the world they have the best in the world..haha.

You might want to pull your head out of your ass. Most international surveys place Singapore's education in top 5. The Americans are trying to emulate Singapore's education system. Jim Rogers and many foreigners move to Singapore because of it has an excellent education system for their kids. Singapore's education is stressful but it is top in the world. Lets not forget Singaporeans are marked at Cambridge standard for O, A levels. They sit for the same exams as the British, scripts are flown to Cambridge to be marked and examiners are flown in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trends_in_International_Mathematics_and_Science_Study

There are Singaporeans who speak bad broken pidgin English as they normally have another first language, no one is denying that. But there are plently of Singaporean native English speakers. This is the same in every English speaking countries and global cities anyway. 23% of people in California lack basic literacy skills. You can walk an entire street of New York and not hear a single person speak in English.

Frankly you sound like some ignorant brain washed drone.

. E.g. even the average Honkie on the street can speak better than a Sinkie altho his accent is heavily Cantonised. But he takes trouble pronouncing his words clearly and using the proper grammar.

You obviously have not been to Hong Kong. 97% of Hong Kongers do not speak English as a first language daily. Many, like yourself, have a problem stringing together a simple sentence in English. If you can't speak Cantonese or Mandarin, I don't know how you can survive in HK long term.

The aussie politician have a much more entertaining speech, from the wall of sound of Kevin Rudd, to the the jovial responds of Joe Hockey. Q&A last night has an excellent debate between Joe and Lindsey. If only half of the MPs/Oppositions could speak so eloquently in

Everytime I hear Kevin Rudd speak, I feel like muting the video.

I was once asked by an American colleague this "Oh you are Chinese why do you speak English?".

Then I asked him, "what race are you". He said "American". I said "no what race, not citizenship". He said "German with some Dutch".

Then I told him "you are German, why do you speak English monolingually"?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Then I asked him, "what race are you". He said "American". I said "no what race, not citizenship". He said "German with some Dutch".

They're all nothing more than NATIONALITIES. The fact that the land which is now called Germany was populated earlier than the Americas does not make "German" more of a "race" than "American".

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
They're all nothing more than NATIONALITIES. The fact that the land which is now called Germany was populated earlier than the Americas does not make "German" more of a "race" than "American".

There is only one race. The human race.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe you cannot avoid the accent. And there's really no need to hide it or disguise it with- what? Another accent? Everybody has an accent; there is no right or wrong accent to speak English in - the Americans from the West coast and the East coast are different, where they came from - Ireland, Scots, English etc. What Singaporeans should do is to speak proper English and not Singlish. E.g. even the average Honkie on the street can speak better than a Sinkie altho his accent is heavily Cantonised. But he takes trouble pronouncing his words clearly and using the proper grammar. So it is with Taiwanese. Only Sinkies are too lazy to make an effort. Perhaps they all want to think they are little LKYs.

exactly...but first of all sinkie have to choose one standard of pronunciation... east and west america may sound a tad different but both sound american overall...the basic american standard pronunciation is still there...same for the uk...

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal

American is a nationality not a race. Americans of different races have different DNAs and culture; and hence, different physical appearances.

Just an idiotic understatement. A German American looks different from an African American and a Chinese American. And a German American looks different from an English American as well, their facial structures are different.

They are Germans. Their native culture is German culture, German language and FKK :biggrin:

If a person of German ancestry living in the USA is called a "native" speaker of English by virtue of it being an English speaking country, Singaporeans, Bermudians, Ghanians etc are obviously "native" speakers of English as well since they are English speaking countries.

85% of Americans don't even have any English ancestry, they are speaking a foreign language for their race. They speak a different language from what they ancestors of just 2 generations ago spoke. They have adopted English culture fully and don't even speak their original languages anymore.

Last edited:

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
exactly...but first of all sinkie have to choose one standard of pronunciation... east and west america may sound a tad different but both sound american overall...the basic american standard pronunciation is still there...same for the uk...

This is another load of rubbish. The pronounciations in the UK are vastly different. In fact, they used to say that one British man cannot understand another British man when he opens his mouth.

Juxtapose British accents such as "Broad scots", "Hiberno English", "Geordie" and "Welsh English". They all pronouce words entirely differently.

Go youtube for someone speaking in Broad Scottish English and you won't even realise he is speaking English for the most parts. In the UK, they subtitle those from certain areas like Scotland on national TV because even their own British citizens cannot understand them.

Even the gold standard of British english - Receveived Pronounciation sounds so different over time. Modern Received pronounciation and Traditional Received Pronounciation sounds almost like two different accents altogether.

Frankly, you are just another ignorant dickwad. You have zero understanding of languages and history.

Last edited:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Singapore's education is stressful but it is top in the world. Lets not forget Singaporeans are marked at Cambridge standard for O, A levels. They sit for the same exams as the British, scripts are flown to Cambridge to be marked and examiners are flown in. "

i always find it amusing when this line of argument is presented.

If SG's education is really that tops, SG wouldn't be mass importing foreigners into the country, and i'm not refering to cheap labour.

And, where is the Nobel prize winner from SG...??

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
American is a nationality not a race. Americans of different races have different DNAs and culture; and hence, different physical appearances.

Exactly the same situation exists in Germany. That's why Hitler had to try to fix things with his gas chambers. :rolleyes:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
But there are plently of Singaporean native English speakers.

Huh? Plently ( geez, yr spelling is atrocious )? As in how many? Tell me where they are.

You obviously have not been to Hong Kong. 97% of Hong Kongers do not speak English as a first language daily. Many, like yourself, have a problem stringing together a simple sentence in English. If you can't speak Cantonese or Mandarin, I don't know how you can survive in HK long term.

Of course I have been to HK and many times too. English is spoken in the office and in business. I dislike it when they want to speak to me in Cantonese, and I insist they speak to me in English. That's how I tell that they do make an effort. As a repartee, I normally dropped a line of perfect Cantonese to their amazement.

Btw, I speak and write proper English, contrary to what you said. Nuts like you can't tell the diff?

[/quote]

AndromedaAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
You completely missed the point and you wrote so much. He is not shopping for an accent, so he not considering NZ, Canadian etc. He wants to be assimilated.

Comedians, mimics and as you stated professional actors can replicate an accent. That"s stating the obvious. Even parrots can mimic. Most people are however not linguistically inclined. The continental Europeans speak more than 2 languages but they carry their accent with them.

Yeah scroobal, I think you got that right. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in the first post, if it wasn't obvious enough.

My question was in context of assimilating in a foreign culture. I guess I'll figure it out (or not) eventually...

AndromedaAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might want to pull your head out of your ass. Most international surveys place Singapore's education in top 5. The Americans are trying to emulate Singapore's education system. Jim Rogers and many foreigners move to Singapore because of it has an excellent education system for their kids. Singapore's education is stressful but it is top in the world. Lets not forget Singaporeans are marked at Cambridge standard for O, A levels. They sit for the same exams as the British, scripts are flown to Cambridge to be marked and examiners are flown in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trends_in_International_Mathematics_and_Science_Study

There are Singaporeans who speak bad broken pidgin English as they normally have another first language, no one is denying that. But there are plently of Singaporean native English speakers. This is the same in every English speaking countries and global cities anyway. 23% of people in California lack basic literacy skills. You can walk an entire street of New York and not hear a single person speak in English.

Frankly you sound like some ignorant brain washed drone.

I think you are in the wrong forum, if you think you can blindly quote statistics to glorify the local education system.

I will concede that local education (up till Secondary School) does has its merits (sort of) as it provides a strong foundation in the Maths & Science in comparison to other nations. However, in line with the unique Singapore style of "starting out first and ending up last", the same can be applied to local education. If Singapore education is so damn good, tell me why NUS and NTU degrees are always second to overseas tertiary education, including the University of California where there are so many illiterates in that state as you claim. Anyone who is familiar with Maths & Science will know that NUS & NTU is pure shit when it comes to this field.

Singapore education system is nothing but a brute force anomaly. If you drill a bunch of kids in Maths & Science for hours on... of course they will fucking top the international scores compared to other countries' kids who don't get that much drilling! Duh!!! As a sad product of this country's education system, I can testify that our "superior skills" in Maths & Science is nothing but a fallacy. Our high scores are due to *sheer saturation* of exposure to such Maths & Science questions. For e.g. before my O-Levels and A-Levels, I have practiced enough papers to that point that I have no problem acing the exams because I reached the stage whereby all the questions were recognizable as just a repetition of known question types. Is that intelligence, or is that just familiarity through sheer exposure?

If you want to compare how good the education system is, you should normalize the "performance/grade output" with the "time input". How much time does a Sinkie need to achieve an A grade in the exam vs another student overseas? What's the point of a local education system if it teaches you to work 100hrs to get an A vs. another overseas system that teaches you to get a B in 10hrs?!

I think you *are* the retarded brainwashed drone here...

senatorabudelai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh? Plently ( geez, yr spelling is atrocious )? As in how many? Tell me where they are.

Of course I have been to HK and many times too. English is spoken in the office and in business. I dislike it when they want to speak to me in Cantonese, and I insist they speak to me in English. That's how I tell that they do make an effort. As a repartee, I normally dropped a line of perfect Cantonese to their amazement.

Btw, I speak and write proper English, contrary to what you said. Nuts like you can't tell the diff?
[/QUOTE]

This is the first time I heard someone say that Hong Kongers speak better English than Singaporeans. Maybe it is about time you get your schizophrenia diagnosed.