• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How hard to get rid of Singaporean Accent & Singlish?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
The senator troll wasn't interested in a proper discussion but rather spamming the stuff we read on local papers and insisting he is correct. Firstly, he fails to address several key points that others have brought up. Secondly, when he runs out of points to add, he diverts to irrelevant stuff like the military strength of the Aussies or their censorship...

Let this be a lesson that you do not feed trolls!!!!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore does not censor the internet except for a few symbolic sites. Internet tv?:rolleyes: there must be a few singaporean internet tv sites these days.
So long as it is censored by the Chinapore government, you can have ALL the channels you want. :biggrin:
but at least you face the facts and admit that technology, infrastructure, engineering, IT, efficiency and science etc in Australia are all 50 years behind Singapore. Good for you.
I never wrote 50 years, I just wrote "it is a disgrace". Perth connection is not as good as Sydney or Melbourne.
Given Singapore reputation for economic returns on infrastructure, I think if your govt run Australia, we will still be on basic ADSL.
stick to boasting about australia's "more relaxed lifestyle". we all know australia is a farming country that has origins as a settlement for british convicts in the past.
Singaporeans love farmstay holidays. Perhaps if more Singaporeans of your type spend some time living closer to nature, it will help with the overall development of the brain.

It is a pity that you are banned. I thought it will be nice to see how a modern version of a jurassic-era terrestrial vertebrates think. It helps me to understand why they are extinct.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those bros living overseas be it PR or already a citizen in another country, what are your experiences of getting rid of the Singaporean Accent & Singlish?...

You have asked the right question and I believe i can help !

1st - You have to move 'away' from fellow sinkie mates in Australia, NZ or Canada for a long period, coz these ppl speak in thick SG accent.. Note: you will never be good guys if you mixed with the bad..

2nd - If you 'really' want to mix with fellow countrymen, speak to them in Mandarin, Hokkien, Canto etc.. do not speak English ! this will gradually erase your memory of thick SG accent..

3rd - Having small talk with locals are important.. this will improve your chicken accent & learn the local slang phrases

4th - So you have picked up little chicken accent, continue to avoid English with fellow countrymen..

5th - After 2-3yrs, test your language when you return 'HOME'.. if sinkies asked: "where are you from ?" or "are you a tourist...." You know you have made it.

6th - Once chicken accent is obtained.. careers & opportunities will be coming your way !

I wish you a happy chicken !

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
More humorous advice,

If you are OZ, start speaking strine,

G'day mate: Ged Day Mike
Put a shrimp on the bbq: Put a shrimp on the BarBie.

Joking aside, try watching more local tv channel. ABC,SBS etc, they have pretty good news presenters. Watch also how the local politician speaks as well. Q&A is a good program that shows how average Aussie speaks. Most of the time your accent is pretty much sets. Occasionally if I meet someone from Singapore I'll slang a bit more to show that I'm from the same village. Other then that there is nothing much you can do about it.

Yes, all we can do is to catch a few local phrases and adjust to pronounce certain words...like "challenges, Canada, opportunities etc" with the right tones and vowels. Other than that there is NOT much we can do with our damn Singlish accent.

Our only hope is our next generation will adopt the new countries English language well....which is exactly the case for my 14 year old Canada-born son. Thanks goodness I did not have him go through the Singapore education system for a single second.

My view is that, be ourselves and speak slower and make the point to pronounce the words clearly. Enjoy your freedom outside Singapore.

Good luck brothers and sisters.

ahben

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree with exSingaporean, we have to speak slower and pronounce those words clearly and they will understand us even we have the ascent. When i first enter Australia to work, Aussies always give me that look as if i am speaking dialect.

Once a local exSingaporean whom stayed there for more than 5 yrs told me that Singlish = lazy to use words. Imagine going to a Coles or Shopping Centre and you go "How much?"...Aussies will go "huh?"....Not only lazy but rude too....that's Singlish.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree with exSingaporean, we have to speak slower and pronounce those words clearly and they will understand us even we have the ascent. When i first enter Australia to work, Aussies always give me that look as if i am speaking dialect.

Once a local exSingaporean whom stayed there for more than 5 yrs told me that Singlish = lazy to use words. Imagine going to a Coles or Shopping Centre and you go "How much?"...Aussies will go "huh?"....Not only lazy but rude too....that's Singlish.

totally agree...

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The senator troll wasn't interested in a proper discussion but rather spamming the stuff we read on local papers and insisting he is correct.

Firstly, he fails to address several key points that others have brought up. For my case, he fails to acknowledge that strong possibility that Singaporeans do well in international Maths & Science at a young age is due to intense drilling/practice and greater exposure, and not because Singapore kids or the local education system is better. This is in fact a very Singaporean mentality, always thinking that "more is better", and is reflected in how people in this country conduct their lives. Young parents nowadays are obsessed with tuition and remedial, so kids nowadays literally cover the syllabus twice - in school and in tuition. For what??? If your kid needs to be taught twice to fully understand the content, I dun see how local education can be better. Also Singapore's favorite pastime of "overtime", bosses like their staff to work late into the night, and sometimes staff with nothing to do also stay behind because it is the "work culture". For what??? What's the point of having an employee who cannot finish his work on time? What's importance is the task accomplished per unit time, and the same can be said for education.

The troll also fails to acknowledge that most university rankings are pointless because they are basically a popularity contest, use irrelevant ranking criteria and do not accurate judge the institution's research capability. The only global ranking that assess research output is the reference that I have cited, although it is admittedly not perfect. NUS ranks 70-100ish for most field rankings, and it is considered as a so-so research university, not terribly great but not terribly bad either. However, NUS insists in promoting itself as a *world class* research university, so obvious we have to use strict standards here. Perhaps some don't agree with my strict standards, but hey I'm using the standards NUS claims itself to be.

Secondly, when the troll runs out of points to add, he diverts to irrelevant stuff like the military strength of the Aussies or their censorship... again another indication that this guy is just out to create trouble.

This cockroach is now banned for the moment so no point asking him now. First of all, this cockroach has got his brains up in his arse (if he has any for that matter). Should ask him, if NUS and NTU are really regarded as top unis, then why the fark is it that none of the ministars or MPs have ever sent their sons/ daughters to NTU or NUS but instead send them abroad????
Second point, military. He says that Singapore military is stonger than Oz. This idiot is too stupid to perhaps realize that in Singapore, most of them are forced to serve in the military whereas in Oz the military is solely volunteer basis. Who do you think will be able to fight a war better, someone who is forced or someone who has volunteered? What happend during the Iraq war? Saddam Hussein had forced many of the Iraqis to fight and what happened? They just surrendered to the Americans. What's the point of having a million soldiers but who lack the morale and will to fight? In Oz, if there is a war, I believe that the military will really fight to defend Oz. In Sinkeeland however as it is so many Sinkees are farking tu lan with the PAP due to the mass import of FTrashes. How many of them do you think would really be prepared to fight a war just to defend the PAP and FTrashes???? Maybe that cockroach could answer.