• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Moving Overseas: Do you apply for Exit Permit?

AndromedaAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm moving overseas for further studies this coming Fall.

Being a male citizen in this terrible country, I realized that I needed the govt "permission" to be out of the country for such an extended period. by applying for an Exit Permit... which is just fucking ridiculous.

I haven't got PR yet, but I don't intend to come back to Singapore. I will get PR is a decent country, and based on current immigration systems, I believe I will qualify for PR through point system in countries like Canada and UK only 2-3 years after graduation. Of course, I plan to remain in the US or move to some decent country to work after graduation.

Back to my question, is there any need to apply for Exit Permit then? When I saw the application page I saw that you need to put information like your address and employment/school location. Personally address I can always give them a PO Box... but what about employment/school location? I don't like the idea of the PAP knowing where am I studying/working in the USA... it's not their bloody business!

So... was wondering if you bros staying/moving overseas also apply for Exit Permit or just heck care? The only compelling reason to get Exit Permit is that it is required to apply for Singapore Passport (and mine expires in 4 years so I will need to get another one eventually)...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being a male citizen in this terrible country, I realized that I needed the govt "permission" to be out of the country for such an extended period. by applying for an Exit Permit... which is just fucking ridiculous.

So... was wondering if you bros staying/moving overseas also apply for Exit Permit or just heck care? The only compelling reason to get Exit Permit is that it is required to apply for Singapore Passport (and mine expires in 4 years so I will need to get another one eventually)...

My advice is to get that goddamned exit permit. Don't murk around with the motherfucker Singapore govt. You will need to get a good character certificate from them when you apply PR.

To plan long term, if you do not intend to stay in Singapore for longer than 365 days from now on, you should get a good character certificate first. (Perhaps soemone has better advice. On hindsight, this is what I should have done)

Singapore govt are smarts these days in reducing passport validity to 5 years.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Back to my question, is there any need to apply for Exit Permit then? When I saw the application page I saw that you need to put information like your address and employment/school location. Personally address I can always give them a PO Box... but what about employment/school location? I don't like the idea of the PAP knowing where am I studying/working in the USA... it's not their bloody business!

As to your second question, I put my address as "c/o" my university international student office address, because at that point, I was not sure where I will be staying.

But, when I needed to extend my Exit Permit, I had to put some address in. No worries, these people probably just want to post threats to you to remind you of your NS obligations.

Even more than 10 years after I returned to Singapore, I still find that UK address in the Mindef database. It was my ex-girlfriend parents address. The address where I was thrown out because I was caught shagging their daughter while smoking grass.

I never found out what Mindef sent me, the threats from returning to face an angry father to retrieve my mails were greater than the threats coming from missing the rubbish mails that the Singapore govt sent me.

Last edited:

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. You need to apply for Exit permit even though you got your PR after you graduated.

From my experience in the past 30 years ... the Mindef would not normally give us much problem if you can prove your study and PR status.

My worst experience was when I got deferment for my "reservist" and then I went ahead to book my tour of the uSA with my family back in the late 80s. Just about 3 weeks before the my tour began, I received a letter from Mindef that my deferment was cancelled.

Note this is NOT Exit Permit per se, but just deferment for reservist. I tend to believe Exit Permit for studies and PR are more honoured by the Mindef.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

The best thing is to just get it, get your passport renewed a bit faster. The sooner you begin the faster you can be free of the SG govt. If you are applying for Canadian or US Cititzenship then it can take a while. In the US you can apply for Citizenship 4 years 9 months after the date of becoming a LPR. Even better, if you marry an American you you can become a US citizen 2 years 9 months after LPR.

And while you are in Canada or here in the US you can somehow fake an accident, visit a doc, and get a letter stating you are unable to travel and take up any physical activity. If you are in California you can even get a prescription to smoke marijuana legally.

I wonder how MINDEF would feel about you smoking marijuana, it is legal for medical reasons here. That might upset them. Hee Hee.