• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Goodness!!! #2

Shin Orochi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

May 7, 2010
My hometown in S'pore

<!-- by line --> By Loh Keng Fatt
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
birdcage.jpg

ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

NATIONAL Day is coming.

This year, The Straits Times will celebrate the places where Singaporeans call home on this island. The concept for this year's National Day Supplement is My Hometown in Singapore.

What makes people loyal to a particular neighbourhood?

What makes them proud?

What is so special about, say, Serangoon Gardens?

What is so unique about living in, say, Woodlands?

What do folks in Katong enjoy that others cannot?

Everyone has a home, or a hometown, in Singapore. Everyone has a story to share about the joys of living there. We want to hear those stories.
We want to see photos of your hometown. We want to read your poems, or lyrics of a song you wrote about your hometown. Or even a podcast or a video you've made to express yourself. In tandem with the National Day supplement on Aug 9, we are devoting space at straitstimes.com to allow you to share your stories, pictures and more. Please submit them either with the relevant attachments or video links, to [email protected] with the heading 'My Hometown in Singapore' by July 15.

Leave your full name, age, occupation and mobile phone number.
We will also publish the contributions from the public in our supplement.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Everyone has a home, or a hometown, in Singapore. Everyone has a story to share about the joys of living there. We want to hear those stories.We want to see photos of your hometown. We want to read your poems, or lyrics of a song you wrote about your hometown. ...
kampong oredi destroyed by gahmen loong, loong time ago ... iz gone 4eva ... :o

still wan my story? ... :rolleyes:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
This year, The Straits Times will celebrate the places where Singaporeans call home on this island. The concept for this year's National Day Supplement is My Hometown in Singapore.

What makes people loyal to a particular neighbourhood?

What makes them proud?

What a joke, these places should be called suburbs. How can Singaporeans have different home towns when they are only a few kilometres apart?

Orion

Alfrescian
Loyal
i thought i am living in a foreigner land when they recently celebrated the water festival to honor the people of thai, burnmess and indian people.

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
staying in woodlands is very unique...it's so freaking far from town and i can't migrate nearer to town coz i simply can't afford to...

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ans to Q1: FTrash dorms can be built there, but not in Sixth Ave.

Ans to Q2: Most of your neighbours are FTrash with no NS liability.

Ans to Q3: More Indian FTrash as your neighbours.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
kampong oredi destroyed by gahmen loong, loong time ago ... iz gone 4eva ... :o

still wan my story? ... :rolleyes:

Well, if you don't mind the bucket system, or using firewood to boil your water or cook your meals, or carrying water from the community taps for your drinking, then pine for the kampong style of living that our parents or grandparents live in in the 50s and 60s.

I think the younger Sporeans would rather prefer the present style of living.

Anyway, the kampong style of living still can be had - in Cambodia, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia and parts of Malaysia - not too far from Singapore.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
What makes them proud?

Serangoon residents: Claim their food's good. But they know Katong is where the good food's at.

Woodlands: Other than a transit point for fugitives, nothing really. Sucks as a residence.

Katong: Food USED to be be good. Other than Peranakan dominance, not much nowadays other than a history.

In this day and age, Nationalism is soooo passé.

Think GLOBAL, lah.

Cheers!