• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Story Telling has begun

T

Tadakatsu Honda

Dr Lim Wee Kiak: A letter to my mother

Soon....more tales coming...:biggrin:

Dr Lim Wee Kiak: A letter to my mother
05:55 AM May 08, 2010

showimageCC.aspx

Dr Lim Wee Kiak and his mother Soh Joo Keow, upon his graduation from medical school

To my beloved mum,

Widowed at a young age, you single-handedly brought up four children and provided us with love. When dad passed away from liver disease, I, the youngest, was seven years old. You worked as a cleaner at a clinic, and as a washer-woman; luckily, at the time, in the 1970s, not many Singaporeans had washing machines.

You used to tell me that there are always jobs to be found, if one is willing to work hard. Don't blame circumstances, don't blame anything else, you said. Although life was very difficult, and you had to play the role of both mother and father, you never gave up. I want to teach my three children the same values.

In early secondary school, I had to take the first bus from the old Nee Soon area where we lived. I was very small for my age and there were wild dogs in the area. I used to walk to the bus stop at 5.30am and you would accompany me, for about two years, until I said, "it's okay, no need already".

In those days, drinking essence of chicken was a luxury. You would save and save and during the exam period, a few bottles of chicken essence would miraculously appear. Now, I too remind my wife that nutrition is very important for the children. This week, while they were taking their semestral tests, I saw a few bottles of essence of chicken on our table.

Interestingly, you were always worried that I was studying too hard, and always urged me to rest if I studied late into the night.

When I received the letter saying I had got into Medicine at National University of Singapore, instead of being happy, you were so worried and started calling my uncles to see if they could help with the fees. Luckily, I got an interest-free study loan from the Public Service Commission.

To me, you are and will always be the greatest mum. You passed away in 1998 and in fact, every year, Mother's Day reminds me of you.

I was elected as an MP during the last General Election, which fell on May 6, during the Mother's Day period. You were the first person I would have liked to share the good news with. It would have been the best Mother's Day present I could have given you.

I don't have the option of celebrating Mother's Day with you any more but I hope that others will cherish their mothers and celebrate the occasion with them.

Although you are no longer around physically, you live forever in my memories and will always be my pillar of strength.

Love always,

Your son, Wee Kiak

Dr Lim Wee Kiak, 41

Eye surgeon and MP for Sembawang GRC

Mother: Soh Joo Keow

<script type="text/javascript">var fontIndex = 2; var fontSize = new Array('0.63em', '0.69em', '0.75em', '0.88em', '1em', '1.13em'); </script>

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>I was elected as an MP during the last General Election, which fell on May 6, during the Mother's Day period. You were the first person I would have liked to share the good news with. It would have been the best Mother's Day present I could have given you.<<

His mother must be v sad that he has became an MPee and sold his soul to the devil