• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shanghai Expo song taken off air due to plagiarism claim

streetcry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shanghai Expo song taken off air due to plagiarism claim
By Glenda Chong | Posted: 23 April 2010 1837 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Visitors arrive at the World Expo 2010 in Shanghai as organisers gave members of the public a preview before the official opening.

SHANGHAI : The World Expo opens in about a week and yet the event's promotional song is nowhere to be heard in Shanghai.

The promotional song "Right here waiting for you in 2010" has been taken off air because it is at the centre of a plagiarism claim.

The song features some of China's biggest celebrities like Jackie Chan, Andy Lau and Yao Ming. It was selected to be used during the 30-day countdown to the official opening of the World Expo on May 1.

But it was recently pulled from the air-waves because of claims that the song sounds similar to another song, "Stay the way you are", created some 14 years ago by Japanese singer Mayo Okamoto.

When asked if the two songs sound identical, one man said: "I can't say they're the same, only some of the tunes have something in common. They're not the same. It's a totally different style."

A woman disagreed, saying: "I feel they are similar. The rhythms are different. I can only say they are similar."

Shanghai rapper duo Sun Bin and Wang Lu were asked for their take. Sun Bin said: "After listening, I think from my point of view, the melody of the two songs is alike. Probably the key is different.

"With regards to plagiarism, both songs have many aspects in common. If the song is finally judged as a rip-off then it's because of the similar parts, such as melody and singing. But their emotions and contents presented are different."

Wang Lu added: "In my opinion, the melodies of the two songs are generally the same. If you listen to it for the first time like me, the rhythm of the various parts are alike. If you listen to this song not as an expert but a commoner, you will feel it's catchy. The song is popular."

The Expo tune was picked from a competition six years ago. And according to the Expo Bureau, songwriters had to sign an agreement on the use of the song which included the claim that it was an original work.

The composer Miao Sen was unavailable for comment. Reports said Expo organizers have contacted the original composer for permission to use her song.

- CNA/al

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Tiong land only have one strong trait; copy here copy there and call their own.

So much for creativeness.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans should learn from the PRC, stage such a wonderful expo show, instead of whining at every opportunity