• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Charm See Tong charms Bishan residents

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Charm See Tong charms Bishan residents</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt_89 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>7:17 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 8) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>31086.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Charm See Tong charms Bishan residents during walkabout

April 4, 2010 by admin
Filed under Headlines

Leave a comment
http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/04/04/charm-see-tong-charms-bishan-residents-during-walkabout/

Written by Our Correspondent
Veteran opposition leader Chiam See Tong showed that he was still pretty much loved and respected by Singaporeans during his walkabout session yesterday at Bishan to fraternize with the residents there.
Mr Chiam has indicated his intention to lead a strong team to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC in the next general election and his wife Ms Lina Loh will replace him at Potong Pasir.
The walkabout was conducted jointly by Mr Chiam’s Singapore People’s Party and Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam’s Reform Party who was by the side of Mr Chiam throughout the session.
Wherever he went, residents waved to Mr Chiam and stepped forward to shake his hands voluntarily, addressing him as “Uncle Chiam” or “Mr Chiam”:
chiamwalkabout586.jpg

[Photo courtesy of Mr Alex Tan]
The rousing reception received by Mr Chiam and Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam may be a subtle sign that the ground is shifting towards the opposition.
From the conversations the party leaders had with the residents, it appeared that the perennial issues of immigrations, jobs and property prices are foremost on their minds.
Bishan-Toa Payoh is a stronghold of Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng and had not seen a contest since the 1988 general elections.
Bishan is home to a large number of young “virgin” voters while Toa Payoh has more senior citizens.
With public unhappiness and resentment against the PAP at an all-time high, the opposition stands a winning a few more seats in the next general election including a GRC which it has never won since the scheme was introduced in 1988.
The closest the opposition came to winning a GRC was in the 1988 election when the Workers’ Party team of Francis Seow, Lee Siew Choh and Mohamad Yakcop garnered 49.7 percent of the valid votes in Eunos GRC.
Eunos were to “disappear” and “absorbed” into neighboring GRCs for inexplicable reasons in the 1997 elections.
Though the ground does seem to be sweet for the opposition now judging from the friendly and warm responses from the residents, it remains to be seen if the goodwill displayed will translate into actual votes for Mr Chiam and his team on polling day.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition parties not stupid and they also have their spies and sympathizers.

CST already know they redrawing of GRC boundary lines means most of his PP supporters would now be in Toa Payoh and Bishan.
:biggrin:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Baroko

Alfrescian
Loyal
CST is a true son of Singapore. My heart goes out to him and his family. I have always admire his resilience and will to make the difference for Singapore. Even a stroke does not keep him off his feet and his duties.
I can safely say that non of the GRC coattail hanger PAP MPs can even hold a candle to him nor worthy enough to tie his shoelaces. They are only there hoping to make a political for themselves.

He has clearly identifed, in a few words, the problem of why Singaporeans are not gaving enough babies. But the self serving PAP gahmen will admit that he is correct of course.

You are our man, Mr Chiam. We salute you. Singapore salutes you. May we wish you and your family well and that your party win more than one GRC.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really salute CST. A true patriot, gentlemen and one who devotes his life to Singapore (even though the majority of Sinkies are ungrateful ball-less bastards).

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why doesn't Chiam run for President?

Is he qualified enough? I like to see if Chiam can win a PK against a PAP backed candidate to win the presidency where over 2 million peasants get to vote.

If he can win, there's hope for our oppositions.

Baroko

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is he qualified enough? I like to see if Chiam can win a PK against a PAP backed candidate to win the presidency where over 2 million peasants get to vote.

This will NOT happen.
He should not even think about it.
Tan Kin Lian should not even think about it too.
Only LKY can think about it for himself.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He looks so different with his head "bowing". I remember seeing him at Holland(somewhere opposite to the swimming pool),i think he likes the Fish soup at one of the stalls there. That was nearly 10 years ago! Anyway, I hope opposition can win over the Bishan-Toa Payoh. Don't let PAP be so yaya,i think!

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Sir,

At the time of writing this, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) is known to be preparing for a General Election (GE) which is expected to be held within the few months. For the past 30 years the SDP has been active in GE. In 1991 it rose to prominence by winning 3 seats.

Since the 1990s, Dr Chee Soon Juan has continuously held the position of secretary-general in SDP. Dr Chee and his sister Ms Chee Siok Chin has tried to raise the profile of SDP by being more directly critical of the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP). This has resulted in the SDP being involved in a series of civil and criminal lawsuits.

Between 1984 and 1991, the PAP had seen its share of valid votes decreased from 78% to 61%. The actions of the Chee siblings had been to the advantage of the PAP. It had managed to portray the SDP and other critics as an assembly of hot-headed radicals. As a result, the SDP had been indirectly helping the PAP to win votes.

In the 1997 GE, the PAP reversed the decreasing vote trend by winning 65% of valid votes. In the 2001 GE, the PAP increased its valid vote share to 75%. In the 2006 GE, the SDP received approximately of 25% of valid votes in its contests. This was far below the 33% average for all opposition candidates.

Currently the SDP may be able to increase its vote share or even win a parliamentary seat due to apparent rising anti-PAP sentiments. It is essential the SDP should maintain contact with the masses through cool-headed rational discussion.

The Chee siblings had been associated with confrontational methods and this had almost certainly put off many voters. Therefore the writer urged the Chee siblings to maintain a low profile in the expected 2010 GE. It can still play a role as mentors to potential candidates.

With the large inflow of immigrants which are expected to more supportive of the PAP, this opposition would had to be very careful
not to give away any advantage to the PAP.

Yours truly,

Mr Chua Yuankai

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal

U do know that the President has no actual power and only slightly more useful than a paper clip right?

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U do know that the President has no actual power and only slightly more useful than a paper clip right?

as I said earlier.

what is important - can Chiam win a PK against a PAP backed candidate to win the presidency where over 2 million peasants get to vote.

although one can say President and Parliament elections are different, you do get a rough idea of the demographics voting pattern of the whole nation ( important for PAP and oppositions )

If Chiam can win against a PAP man then it's not impossible for our oppositions to get over 50% nationwide votes in parliamentary elections thus controlling parliament one day. If Chiam, a respected opposition leader was thrashed, getting less than 35% against a unknown PAP man in a real nationwide election, then our oppositions are really fighting a hopeless battle.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really salute CST. A true patriot, gentlemen and one who devotes his life to Singapore

I second the above suggestion. Although it is true that the President is none more useful than a paper clip, but I would rather Chiam get the 3-million job than prataman anytime.

It would be a good retirement gift from Singaporeans to Uncle Chiam.
And imagine how shiok to watch the PAP garmen lan lan have to put up with the elected President - and observe protocol to Chiam on National Day & Opening of Parliament ...LOL !

Seriously, electing Chiam to beat any PAP-backed Presidential candidate seems more probable than the 66% changing heart to throw out a PAP garman ....

But alas, i think they will stop him in the 1st instance - claiming Chiam doesn't meet the requirement of Presidential Candidate eligibility. see below.

Article 19 of Singapore Constitution:-

...where the person applying states that he desires to contest in an election by virtue of being qualified under Article 19 (2) (g) (iv) of the Constitution, that the Committee is of the opinion that the person, having held office for a period of not less than 3 years in such position of seniority and responsibility in such organisation or department in the public or private sector as described in Article 19 (2) (g) (iv) of the Constitution, has such experience and ability in administering and managing financial affairs as to enable him to carry out effectively the functions and duties of the office of President.
(2) A person shall be qualified to be elected as President if he —
<dl>(a) is a citizen of Singapore;</dl><dl>(b) is not less than 45 years of age;</dl><dl>(c) possesses the qualifications specified in Article 44 (2) (c) and (d);</dl><dl>(d) is not subject to any of the disqualifications specified in Article 45;</dl><dl>(e) satisfies the Presidential Elections Committee that he is a person of integrity, good character and reputation;</dl><dl>(f) is not a member of any political party on the date of his nomination for election; and</dl><dl>(g) has for a period of not less than 3 years held office —<dl>(i) as Minister, Chief Justice, Speaker, Attorney-General, Chairman of the Public Service Commission, Auditor-General, Accountant-General or Permanent Secretary;</dl><dl>(ii) as chairman or chief executive officer of a statutory board to which Article 22A applies;</dl><dl>(iii) as chairman of the board of directors or chief executive officer of a company incorporated or registered under the Companies Act (Cap. 50) with a paid-up capital of at least $100 million or its equivalent in foreign currency; or</dl><dl>(iv) in any other similar or comparable position of seniority and responsibility in any other organisation or department of equivalent size or complexity in the public or private sector which, in the opinion of the Presidential Elections Committee, has given him such experience and ability in administering and managing financial affairs as to enable him to carry out effectively the functions and duties of the office of President.</dl></dl>

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please stop spamming. what has this thread have anything to do with Sdp?
Mr Rogue Trader, since 'pest buster' Scroobal gave up his moderator 'public service', chaps no, the whole eco-system of opponents & proponents bearing xxSDPxx nicks (e.g. CCB SDP, SDPhopeless etc) have made a spamming return ...
with kopitiam money collector taking a backseat, guess we can only put up ?! No ?!:mad:

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He looks so different with his head "bowing".
Looks like I am not alone in noticing his 'bowing'.
1 or 2, but almost every photo taken ....
I think must be the stroke that has affected his neck muscle, can't hold his head up high now.... so sad yet so brave ....

balajii

Alfrescian
Loyal
And imagine how shiok to watch the PAP garmen lan lan have to put up with the elected President - and observe protocol to Chiam on National Day & Opening of Parliament ...LOL !

good point elephanto. damn funny just the thought.:biggrin: