• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone's kids want to play tennis professionally?

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone want to be SG Tennis Association's guinea pigs? At least there's $500,000 if it doesn't work out. At least he/she will have a PSLE certificate... I hope...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Tennis Association (STA) has floated a bold plan to revive the sport.

Singapore's rankings are not looking good. The last time it enjoyed success at the international level was when the men's team won bronze at the 1995 SEA Games in Chiangmai.

In the Davis Cup, the men's team is ranked 107 out of 135 teams. Out of 94 teams in the Fed Cup, the Singapore women are at Number 61.

Edwin Lee, president, Singapore Tennis Association, said: "We are in quite a bad shape because we've not been to any SEA games for quite a few years.

“The selection committee is quite strict about minimum standards that they want. Our players here unfortunately are not so committed to train."

Blame it on the level of commitment.

Mr Lee said: "Our neighbours are all professionals. They've given up school. They've turned pro. They are training throughout the day. We're lagging far behind."

The association told MediaCorp it's prepared to throw in the money for two juniors, aged between 12 and 14 to concentrate on tennis for the next three years and hopefully, turn pro.

It has set aside S$500,000 for two players who are willing to train up to 10 times a week.

All they have to do is commit and that means giving up school.

So what are the chances of that working out?

Mr Lee added: "The social fabric of Singapore does not permit the players to want to turn professional. I think it's the paper chase.

“I don't think we lack the talent. I think we just lack the commitment whereas other in other countries like Thailand and Indonesia, the people there are more hungry."

So this is the call to those who are game to be tennis stars.

"Give the association a chance. We've set aside sufficient funds. We have the talent. We have the backing," said Mr Lee.

And if it still does not produce results, the association may have to go the way of importing foreign talent. - CNA/vm